XIM Community

[ACTIVE] Xim Apex Controller disconnects after several months of no issues  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Petricluss
Hello, title says it all. My Xim worked perfectly for over a year up until a few days ago, nothing has changed. I use the same controller, cables, console, and M&K. I think something could be wrong with  the Xim Apex itself, as I have tried different Controllers and micro USB cables and still have the same issue. I have also read through all the forum posts I could find on this issue and tried all the steps listed on them and cant find a solution. Here are some of the steps I've tried.

1. Switched DS4 controller

2. Changed USB cable twice (high quality, data transfer)

3. Purchased powered USB hub
-To be honest, I'm not sure I understand how to use it, considering the ports on the Xim hub are numbered and we plug the controller and peripherals into specific ports. I'm not sure if I need to plug the Xim hub (with all devices plugged in) into the powered hub, then the powered hub into the Xim Apex, or what?

4. I've restored the Xim Apex to factory settings, tried it, then updated it back to a fresh up to date version. Still didn't work.

5. Plugged the DS4 controller directly in to the Xim Apex, still was hit or miss on registering.

-Also when the Xim Apex started up and doesn't work, it does the rainbow, goes straight to the config color and never flashes green. When I check the manager, it shows my M&K but no controller. Occasionally, the controller has randomly connected 5 minutes after I plug it in then proceeds to have the same issue.

The weirdest part is how it works sometimes, anywhere from 5 minutes - an hour or so, then quits and wont connect until I fiddle with it (replugging everything, restarting console, etc.) for a good 10-20 minutes. Im sure theres a couple more things I've tried that Im forgetting. I wouldn't make a forum post unless I had done my research and done all the troubleshooting I could.

This was an amazon purchase, new, in the first day or two that it was released. Unfortunately I gave my Xim4 to a friend.

Anyway, thanks so much in advance! I love my Xim when it works, haha!
« Last Edit: 10:32 AM - 10/20/19 by OBsIV »

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Welcome to the community. Concerning this part of your troubleshooting:

5. Plugged the DS4 controller directly in to the Xim Apex, still was hit or miss on registering.

This would be related to your disconnecting -- that is, if your XIM APEX sometimes doesn't see your DS4 at startup when plugged directly in  (no hub).

You said you tried 2 cables and 2 DS4s. Are both of these DS4's Gen1 or Gen2 (light bar on trackpad)? Also, your DS4s were all fully charged? Also, did you try each combination of cable and DS4? If not, could you try that? That would help to know.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
Both of my controllers are fully charged. I believe one controller is gen 1 and 1 is gen 2 but I'm not 100% on that. I upgraded to a PS4 Pro and have a controller that came with it and one that came with the old one. Yes I have tried both cables with both controllers. I will try another cable today and let you know if it works. I could just not know what high quality cables are. (I've been using a cable that came with my steelseries arctis 7 headset, which I thought was high quality)

Thanks for the reply! I will get back to you soon.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Typically any cable included with something that is there for charging is normally really low quality. If have another USB cable available you can try that isn't meant for just charging, that will would really helpful in further isolating the problem here.

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
Hello, just tested it with a 2 different cables, same issue. :(

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Hmm, this is odd. Let's see if mist4fun has any suggestions.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Is APEX or the controller moved or bumped when it disconnects?
Also, do you see a change in light activity from APEX during the disconnect?

The powered hub can solve stability issues like this if it's related to power draw. The hub connects between APEX and peripherals, it's power adapter connects to an outlet.

Sometimes this can be related to a shorted peripheral cable, some are more prone to shorts than others. What mouse and keyboard model are you using?
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline randomguy

• View Profile
I had a similar issue. Multiple usb cables including several of the amazonbasics brand all gave me random problems where it worked good then randomly stopped. A good quality cable fixed it for me, which was the “jsaux mini usb” (check ebay)

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
Hey, again! Thank you all so much for the replies! I'm going to do a little research and purchase a new cable on Amazon today, luckily I live in california and can get free same day shipping on a variety of products. To answer your question, there is no lighting sequence that I'm aware of, or that I recognize. (Flashing red/yellow lights for power failure have happened multiple times in the past because of all the lighting from my K&M. I've always solved this by plugging things in separately, however when the controller is  fully charged I never have this issue.) I'm not one to give up quick so I will do my best to try everything you suggest and get back to you.

Offline Deacon

• View Profile
Hi, I just ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WNGKKFF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Should arrive tomorrow!

I couldn't really find any micro usb cables above 480Mbps transfer speeds, maybe they're just outdated, idk. I stuck with the brand you mentioned, Random, just hoping for the best. :)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
With your APEX experiencing power faults in the past it could be power related. Let us know if the powered hub helps.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline randomguy

• View Profile
Hey im really curious if that cable fixed your problem with the random disconnect