Processing loop...?  (Read 207 times)

Offline theactualstevie

• PC gamer forced to play console because of friends
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Sensational
  • PSN ID: N/A
Processing loop...?
« on: 07:51 AM - 09/17/19 »
What actually is the processing loop of a game?

From what it sounds like, it is the tick rate at which the game engine processes inputs, but is this necessarily even tied to a games FPS - When the games FPS drops for whatever reason, is the processing loop affected?

Also, regardless of XIM, when you are using a controller which is at 125hz, the controller doesn't know what FPS the game is, so it always sends inputs 125 times a second.

To me it just sounds kind of random that you would bundle your inputs into 60 or 30 updates per second... Especially being that the main selling point of Apex is that it runs at 1000hz... You take those 1000 updates a second input, and then your XIM decides it's going to filter it down:

Off:           1000hz
Default:    125hz
Common: 60hz
Slow:        30hz

Sync off at 1000hz has terrible stutter and inaccurate micromovements unless you use smoothing, which is a copout - I don't think 1000hz is what the console is actually happiest with.

You are then either going to use smoothing, or XIM recommends using "common" or "slow" depending on the games FPS. Clearly XIM team aren't too confident in sync off 1000hz, the XIM's default sync setting, literally called "default" runs at 125hz - and the XIM by default is actually set to 125hz in the expert configuration.

Overall syncing inputs based on the marketing for Apex seems like the complete opposite of what you would want... At least in my eyes as "synchronising with the processing loop" seems like conjecture.

Offline MeteoroBR

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: MeteoroBR
Re: Processing loop...?
« Reply #1 on: 10:56 AM - 09/17/19 »

I wouldn't say 1000hz with sync off is just a conjecture from Xim Apex developers.

In fact 1000hz with sync turned off is the raw mouse input and the option I chose to play PUBG.

12000 DPI on mouse and smooth off sync with 02 is something that works great.

Xim apex is a masterpiece of engineering.

Don't think too much about the theory, just set up a setting that works and play hard for at least a hundred hours until you get a minimum of muscle memory.

It will work wonderfully.

The biggest problem is that people want something that works instantly, when in reality any setting needs a few hundred hours to play until it produces the muscle memory that will bring the good results.

There is no magic.

Just a lot of training.

Cheers.  ;)

Offline slickrick

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:27 PM - 09/17/19 »

I wouldn't say 1000hz with sync off is just a conjecture from Xim Apex developers.

In fact 1000hz with sync turned off is the raw mouse input and the option I chose to play PUBG.

Don't think too much about the theory, just set up a setting that works and play hard for at least a hundred hours until you get a minimum of muscle memory.

The biggest problem is that people want something that works instantly, when in reality any setting needs a few hundred hours to play until it produces the muscle memory that will bring the good results.

There is no magic.

Just a lot of training.

Cheers.  ;)
  I agree, if he cant use 1000hz with sync off it must be his equipment, I have no problems running 1000hz with sync off and 0 smoothing. his problem could be game related also, if the game has axial dead zone settings like battlefield 5  and there to low it can cause jitter.

Offline idkwtf

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05:31 PM - 09/17/19 »

There is no magic.

Just a lot of training.

Cheers.  ;)
  I agree, if he cant use 1000hz with sync off it must be his equipment, I have no problems running 1000hz with sync off and 0 smoothing. his problem could be game related also, if the game has axial dead zone settings like battlefield 5  and there to low it can cause jitter.
Sensitivity can be a factor too. When I use to pIay Iow sens I couId run sync off without smoothing no probIem, but since switching to high sens I definiteIy have to add smoothing to remove the jitter.

Offline theactualstevie

• PC gamer forced to play console because of friends
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Sensational
  • PSN ID: N/A
« Reply #4 on: 02:51 AM - 09/18/19 »
Yeah it must be my equipment right? I have like 5 different mice, all of which are 3310/3360 sensors - Logitech, Zowie etc.

Just because you don't understand doesn't mean I'm wrong  ;)

Keep using 1000hz, I ain't stopping you.

Offline slickrick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03:54 AM - 09/18/19 »
Yeah it must be my equipment right? I have like 5 different mice, all of which are 3310/3360 sensors - Logitech, Zowie etc.

Just because you don't understand doesn't mean I'm wrong  ;)

Keep using 1000hz, I ain't stopping you.
easy big guy, lol I'm not saying your wrong , I'm just saying I use those settings with no problems. If thats the result your get with those settings I belive you.

Online alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10:29 AM - 09/18/19 »
You are then either going to use smoothing, or XIM recommends using "common" or "slow" depending on the games FPS. Clearly XIM team aren't too confident in sync off 1000hz, the XIM's default sync setting, literally called "default" runs at 125hz - and the XIM by default is actually set to 125hz in the expert configuration.

Overall syncing inputs based on the marketing for Apex seems like the complete opposite of what you would want... At least in my eyes as "synchronising with the processing loop" seems like conjecture.

Let me answer you with a question: How many hours took you to learn all that you know to make this question?.

-I'm not XIM representative nor involve with them, but I know about Product Management-

IMO: Is not that XIM Team "is not confident" in sync OFF (1000Hz), and leave it at 125Hz for default. The reason, I guess and is a smart one: Make it Easier to Use and Ready to Go without investing much time ratter than watch a couple of instructional videos. Most users don't have the spare time or interest to invest it, they want to plug and play, and that's OK a product never should have a steep learning curve.

Common and Low are presets, pre-tune made for an improve aiming without the knowledge (and hours) required for tunning and experimenting with a more complex setup that Sync OFF requires where many variables are involved, and that's why they are "hidden" under the hood of Expert Config.

Like, headphones you can buy a $400.00 usd pair of cans, with perfect sounding, construction, leather bands, and advanced drivers and the most consumers will be happy with it, never change anything... but expert users are going to modify it, changing earpads for velvet for less bass and more sound stage, leather for more bass, remove or put foam behind the speaker those small fixes can change drastically the headphone performance, sometimes can make it a $90.00 headphone sound like a $120, or a $400.00 sound like $800.00 or $200.00 depending if you are doing it right, or in essence simply a make the headphone sound performance match your hearing capacity and personal taste.

So, I think getting options to tailor a device to suit your needs is awesome and I see all these features a great step up from previous XIMs and I applaud XIM Team for taking the decision of giving us these, because support will turn into a daunting endeavor, more than already is.

I believe they feel confident to rely on the community to dig in these setting and share of findings, that might "highlight" some user case to improve the product for its users, has been the case we need a custom setting to obfuscate analog movement: SAB, need it activation delay for delayed aim looks, they give us, want Boost back? there it is.

Honestly most of us, we deal with Sync OFF trying to find and tailored to our muscle memory our aiming experience, and in some degree to find workarounds with AA even for remove it or increased, its effects are minor compare to DPI, but XIM doesn't support Aim Assist manipulation, its on us.

Turning off AA in-game is how they design the device to work and its compromise is to deliver the best mouse aiming experience on consoles -within the limits of the platform- and they have succeeded so far.

« Last Edit: 10:51 AM - 09/18/19 by alanmcgregor »