XIM Community

Titan Two now has selectable Input Polling Rate  (Read 2607 times)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Titan Two now has selectable Input Polling Rate
« on: 04:36 PM - 09/04/19 »
Hey all,

J2K at ConsoleTuner has been working on a secret project for the past 4 or 5 months (not a new Titan), but is now back into Titan Two development in full swing.

The latest T2 update includes the ability to set Input Polling Rate. We already had Output Polling Rate so we can match XIM APEX Response Rate, but Input offers a couple of benefits.

1. We may be able to use Input Polling to tweak XIM APEX output to improve audio quality as chaining the two devices can cause garbled audio. This *might* be another tool to counter jitter too (similar output filtering to Sync but at higher values).

2. Connecting a mouse direct to Titan Two will now poll at the full mouse polling rate, including at 1000Hz. Previously, mouse input was capped at 500Hz. This is only important if passing m/kb through to XIM APEX via HID Multi Interface (expert-level T2 scripting). Most of us use the reverse setup of XIM > T2.

Selectable Input Polling on Titan Two has piqued the interest of a number of e-sport game devs (I won't name names, but they are BIG games). Titan One and CronusMAX devices are already used in world championship tournaments to remove USB input lag (XB1 from 8ms > 1ms, PS4 from 4ms > 1ms). These same game devs are looking at using Titan Two to replace the older T1 & CM tech (all invented by J2Kbr at ConsoleTuner).

There's some other new stuff including External Tools (calling third-party apps within Gtuner IV) that I haven't fully wrapped my head around. KMG capture for macOS (m, kb & joystick passthrough from Mac) is being investigated more thoroughly (already on PC), and full Force Feedback wheel support on XB1 will get a deeper look in the coming weeks (already on PS4). I've been chasing these up for many months, hopefully they'll materialise soon.

Selectable Input Polling on T2 is the big one for those of us who stack XIM APEX with Titan Two and I thought it best to give you lads a heads-up :)

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Intrickit27

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: N/A Hiding from Xbox detectives👀
  • PSN ID: N/A Hiding from PS4 detectives👀
Re: Titan Two now has selectable Input Polling Rate
« Reply #1 on: 04:55 PM - 09/04/19 »
Hey thanks! Gonna update and check it out :D
Monitors- Alienware AW2518HF(NEW) Samsung UH750 4K
Systems-Xbox One X, 2nd Xbox One, PS4 Pro(NEW)
Peripherals/accessories- Mice-**Razer Basilisk**(Newest), Steel Series Rival 600, and G502. Analog devices- Azeron original and Sony move navigation stick. Audio devices-Creative Soundblaster X7 and Astro mixamp 2013, Head candy-Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, Sennheiser PC360, Mousepads- Razer Firefly(New) SteelSeries 9HD and Qck Keyboard/mouse adapter- XIM Edge, XIM4, XIM Apex*New*

Offline Bb4life1991

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: YT Boogeyman
« Reply #2 on: 07:40 PM - 09/04/19 »
im gonna just assume im mentally slow but input is confusing me ive always had output at 1000 so will this effect me ? says input is on default protocol....should i set to 1000 or does this not affect me?? im running a bit was just running my xim apex into titan 2 then titan 2 directly into xbox. now trying again xim link,then xim apex into titan 2,then titan 2 into xbox...so was my setup before not truly 1000 hertz or do i fall under the unaffected category you mentioned

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:47 AM - 09/05/19 »
Thanks, this may be why everything feels so much smoother now.
The Xim is not a magical tool that is going to make you a god. Time, effort and perseverance is what will take your gaming to the next level.

[Ps4] [Sony Nav] [T9 Gamepad] [Logitech G502 Proteus] [Dpi's: 12,000, 3200, 4000, 2400] [Syncs: Off and Common]

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:45 AM - 09/05/19 »
If we want to plug our mouse into the titan 2 will we need to download something for the mouse to work properly? I just tried it and it felt weird. Mouse movement seemed to function better with the xim.
The Xim is not a magical tool that is going to make you a god. Time, effort and perseverance is what will take your gaming to the next level.

[Ps4] [Sony Nav] [T9 Gamepad] [Logitech G502 Proteus] [Dpi's: 12,000, 3200, 4000, 2400] [Syncs: Off and Common]

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 02:00 AM - 09/05/19 »
If we want to plug our mouse into the titan 2 will we need to download something for the mouse to work properly? I just tried it and it felt weird. Mouse movement seemed to function better with the xim.
I think you need to setup an Input Translator and use HID Multi Interface as the Output Protocol. Then plug the T2 into XIM APEX to let it handle mouse translation.

I've personally never used a T2 this way because my kb has mouse functionality and it overrides actual mouse input on T2, so I could never get HID Multi to work properly. Don't expect to get better mouse performance by pulling the XIM out of the chain and using T2 for mouse translation, though I think alan said he had a better experience in Fortnite using a T2. He may be the man to ask about this sort of thing.

The main purpose of T2's Input Polling Rate is for competitive e-sports tournies to reduce controller input lag. But what I'm interested in testing is if it makes any difference to match XIM APEX Response Rate to both T2 Input Polling and Output Polling. Or setting Response Rate and Input Poll higher than Output Poll to see if it has a similar effect to Synchronise. Or setting Input Polling lower than Output Polling to toy with XIM APEX Sync settings. Just sh!ts and giggles stuff, really.
« Last Edit: 02:04 AM - 09/05/19 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02:15 AM - 09/05/19 »
I think you need to setup an Input Translator and use HID Multi Interface as the Output Protocol. Then plug the T2 into XIM APEX to let it handle mouse translation.

I've personally never used a T2 this way because my kb has mouse functionality and it overrides actual mouse input on T2, so I could never get HID Multi to work properly. Don't expect to get better mouse performance by pulling the XIM out of the chain and using T2 for mouse translation, though I think alan said he had a better experience in Fortnite using a T2. He may be the man to ask about this sort of thing.

The main purpose of T2's Input Polling Rate is for competitive e-sports tournies to reduce controller input lag. But what I'm interested in testing is if it makes any difference to match XIM APEX Response Rate to both T2 Input Polling and Output Polling. Or setting Response Rate and Input Poll higher than Output Poll to see if it has a similar effect to Synchronise. Or setting Input Polling lower than Output Polling to toy with XIM APEX Sync settings. Just sh!ts and giggles stuff, really.
I've done it and I believe that it has made everything much much smoother on Apex Legends. I thought that it was the new official firmware that made things this way. But I was wrong. I got the update for the titan 2 earlier. And when I tweaked the input polling it was like night and day. I wanted to see if it would be even better by running the mouse through the titan 2. But I will not do this now that you've made it all clear. Try it and tell me if you feel the same way or if it's the official firmware update.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #7 on: 02:30 AM - 09/05/19 »
Interesting. Did you match Response Rate with Input and Output polling? I'll have to give it a try.

Aside from testing different setup configurations to write FAQs for XIM APEX and T2, unfortunately I haven't had time to play games in months. Hopefully the site I've been working on since April will launch this weekend and I'll start gaming again next week.

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:23 AM - 09/05/19 »
Interesting. Did you match Response Rate with Input and Output polling? I'll have to give it a try.

Aside from testing different setup configurations to write FAQs for XIM APEX and T2, unfortunately I haven't had time to play games in months. Hopefully the site I've been working on since April will launch this weekend and I'll start gaming again next week.
Yes, I matched 1000 Hz on input and output and it feels great!

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 03:26 AM - 09/05/19 »
Don't tell me that...I don't need the distraction! Just a few more days and I'm in the clear :)

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:49 AM - 09/05/19 »
Don't tell me that...I don't need the distraction! Just a few more days and I'm in the clear :)
Take your time, I will test other polling rate combinations and let you know my results. But so far so good😊

Offline Bb4life1991

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06:23 AM - 09/05/19 »

Just curious so anytime i restart my things or just turn them on in ftuner it always puts input back to (default protocol) what is default exactly 500? Or 1000?  Or do i need to just switch it everytime i power on my stuff since it changes it back to default

Offline Santigold

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:19 PM - 09/05/19 »
If input rate was previously capped at 500hz and can now go up to 1000hz, that is just 1ms difference. I highly doubt that anyone can feel 1ms difference.

Other than that, you are talking about esports tourneys that use T2/apex to reduce USB lag- I highly doubt that this actually takes place. PS4 usb operates at 250hz, thats 4 ms. At 1000hz it is 1ms. Now to be frank- a difference in 3 ms is absolutely negligible.

The main reason they used CM/Titan in tourneys was back when PS4 didnt support USB controller cmmunication, so with dozens of controllers on the lan event, they were getting interference via Sonys Bluetooth protocol with so many controllers in a rather small area. So with T1 and CM they forced USB mode on Dualshock 4 v1 controllers. Then Sony released Dualshock 4 v2 which natively supports USB communication. Now there is absolutely no reason to use t1/cm in tourneys..

Battlenonsense did a couple of tests of engine input lag on consoles, and its almost at around 100ms or more in most games.

Tbh going from 250hz to 1k hz to save 3ms „USB lag“ sounds like spilling a drop of water into the sahara desert, thats howmuch difference it would actually makes.

Aside of that- jb2k removed usb double buffering on T2 in one of the last updates. I think Obs should do the same on Xim if it is indeed enabled on Xim devices. That USB buffering is probably what the other guy in this thread notices by claiming it feels smoother.

Again- Obsiv should prolly ask JB2 how to disable USB buffering and do it on xim as well.
« Last Edit: 12:34 PM - 09/05/19 by Santigold »

Offline Bb4life1991

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01:12 PM - 09/05/19 »
If input rate was previously capped at 500hz and can now go up to 1000hz, that is just 1ms difference. I highly doubt that anyone can feel 1ms difference.

Other than that, you are talking about esports tourneys that use T2/apex to reduce USB lag- I highly doubt that this actually takes place. PS4 usb operates at 250hz, thats 4 ms. At 1000hz it is 1ms. Now to be frank- a difference in 3 ms is absolutely negligible.

The main reason they used CM/Titan in tourneys was back when PS4 didnt support USB controller cmmunication, so with dozens of controllers on the lan event, they were getting interference via Sonys Bluetooth protocol with so many controllers in a rather small area. So with T1 and CM they forced USB mode on Dualshock 4 v1 controllers. Then Sony released Dualshock 4 v2 which natively supports USB communication. Now there is absolutely no reason to use t1/cm in tourneys..

Battlenonsense did a couple of tests of engine input lag on consoles, and its almost at around 100ms or more in most games.

Tbh going from 250hz to 1k hz to save 3ms „USB lag“ sounds like spilling a drop of water into the sahara desert, thats howmuch difference it would actually makes.

Aside of that- jb2k removed usb double buffering on T2 in one of the last updates. I think Obs should do the same on Xim if it is indeed enabled on Xim devices. That USB buffering is probably what the other guy in this thread notices by claiming it feels smoother.

Again- Obsiv should prolly ask JB2 how to disable USB buffering and do it on xim as well.

Very interesting i will say this how it moves i wont lie dont tell to much if a difference but in a game like fortnite i can tell a hige difference in aim assist if i put it to now input 1000hz as well def big difference in aim assist so im assuming before the input was capped at 500 cause when i put it 500 the aim assist goes back to how its always felt to me. But with the new input option of 1000 it definitely takes away more aim assist. But as far as look mechanics ya different hertz feel very identical aim assist is really only thing i notice that changs most

Offline TheCityWok

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Cityfriedrice
« Reply #14 on: 01:22 PM - 09/05/19 »
Never really used this thing but I just updated. Not using it with XIM but it feels smooth as fuk...and my bhops are way more consistent on Titanfall 2
« Last Edit: 01:37 PM - 09/05/19 by TheCityWok »