XIM Community

DPI and Sync Testing, A do-over, because I知 Anal!  (Read 2761 times)

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
Even though I致e already 澱een there, done that. Due to all the new setups flying around the forum. I decided to revisit these two topics. So, I致e spent several hours over the last few days testing out different DPI settings and Sync options. The one thing I didn稚 do is change Hz. Why? Because 1000hz IMO, is the #1 selling point of Xim Apex. And also, IMO, if you池e not using 1000hz. You池e not getting the most out of the product. So if you don稚 have a mouse and mouse pad that works well with 1k hz. Then Obviously, I suggest you get one.

Before I go any further, I just want to be clear, in no way am I saying these are the best settings for you. However, as a veteran of this community and an Alpha Tester of Xim Products, I知 obviously more then just casual user.

That being said, when it comes to playing games on console there are Two primary factors that I知 really anal about. Those are Responsiveness and Aim Assist. These two key factors are extremely important in order to achieve our number one goal, Accuracy!

Responsiveness by definition means - 釘eing able to react quickly. I think for every gamer it痴 easy to understand why this is so important. When it comes to gaming, not only does Responsiveness help you react quickly, it also helps you react accurately!

This brings us to my favorite topic, Aim Assist. Aim Assist reminds me of my marriage, 90% of the time it feels great, it looks great and things are @#$% near perfect. But then there痴 that 10%, where Something has gone a miss and We simply don稚 see eye to eye. I get thrown for a loop and I have to reflect on what the issues are. Which always brings me to my Upbringing and something my grandfather once told me. It痴 not the greatest one liner in the world and it took a lot of maturity on my part to understand it. But what he said was this, 的f I don稚 like what I see, I am the problem!

Longer story Shorter, my point is. I like Aim Assist 90% of the time, but that 10% that throws me off or costs me a clutch moment, thats not acceptable in my book! Having the perception that it痴 a problem and I have to fix it is what brought me back to this topic. So now that we致e come Full circle. Here痴 what I致e learned again! Like I said I致e been down this road before.

There are some misconceptions IMO around DPI and Aim Assist. Some believe that Aim Assist is Weaker at lower DPI settings. IMO (which is fact to me based on all the testing I致e completed over the last few years), this is a false statement. I can say with 100% certainty that when using the exact same settings through calculating sensitivity for different DPI values, that Aim Assist feels stronger at low DPI values compared to high DPI values. Not only that but It痴 more difficult to maneuver your aiming cursor around in the hit box at lower DPI settings.

On to the testing method...

I set up Three different games with 5 different profiles each.
Call of Duty - Black Ops 4
Battlefield 1 (because 5 is a P.O.S)
Destiny 2 (strongest Aim Assist game on the Planet!)

Each profile rotation looked like this.
No Curves, No Boost, No Steady Aim, No SAB.
1000hz, 1,800 DPI, Common Sync
1000hz. 3,600 DPI, Common Sync
1000hz. 5,700 DPI, Common Sync
1000hz. 7,200 DPI, Common Sync
1000hz. 12,000 DPI, Common Sync

(Before we go any further, I understand Destiny 2 runs at 30fps or less. However, what hasn稚 been said is I致e already tested different Sync settings (multiple times) and I will Never EVER use Low Sync with any game because it makes Aim Assist unplayable. And Through trial and error, I致e narrowed Sync down to either Common or Off. Default feels outdated, unresponsive and Xim 4 like. Maybe it痴 just me, but I知 all about progress and see no reason to live in the past. Straight up, Xim 4 is dated folks, if you play with Xim 4 type settings then you池e not getting the most out of your Apex and you should致e never bought it to begin with.)

I then played 30m. Ea of every profile until I eliminated them 1 by 1. Strangely enough, with all three games, the final Two always came down to 1,800 and 12,000 DPI. So the two on complete opposite ends of the spectrum. It took me awhile to absorb this and determine exactly why this was the case. I knew why I liked 12,000, that was pretty easy, it offered me the most Responsiveness and the best maneuverability within the hit box with Aim Assist active. But why 1,800? Then I realized Two things. #1, was a no brainer and it痴 why I chose to start at 1,800 as my lowest DPI. That痴 the DPI I always use on PC. It's my perfect sensitivity without Aim Assist and what feels the most accurate for my muscle memory. However, I was still shocked at how well it carried over to Console using Xim. And even though Aim Assist was the strongest when using 1,800 DPI, I still played better with it then all other settings except 12,000. I cannot explain this other then familiarity and muscle memory. So if I were to play without Aim Assist 1,800 DPI would definitely be the right option for me. However, with Aim Assist, there痴 no doubt in my mind, 12,000 trumped all. It simply made my aim better when it mattered the most, on target!

Once I was down to Two profiles I then altered two other profiles to test out Sync settings. So my profiles now looked like this for all three games.

No Curves, No Boost, No Steady Aim, No SAB.
1000hz. 1,800 Dpi, Common Sync
1000hz. 1,800 Dpi, Sync Off, Smoothing 4 (Hip and ADS)
1000hz. 12,000 Dpi, Common Sync
1000hz. 12,000 Dpi, Sync Off, Smoothing 4 (Hip and ADS)

I then spent 30 mins. Testing each until I eliminated them 1 by 1 based on my core expectations of Responsiveness and Aim Assist maneuverability until I got down to Two.

1,800 Dpi with Sync Off and 4 Smoothing
12,000 Dpi with Sync Off and 4 Smoothing.

I then tested each for another 30 mins ea. Only one game though, Black ops 4, (sorry was getting a little burned out at this point and my marriage was headed down that 10% road.) So Where did I end up? Right where I began and why I made this thread to begin with. https://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49063.0

12,000 DPI with Sync Off and 4 Smoothing is the optimal setup for overall responsiveness and Aim Assist Maneuverability IMO.

However, I would strongly encourage you low DPIaholics to test out 1,800. Especially without Aim Assist. If you池e like me, it will feel really natural to you coming from PC.

In all, I知 glad I went back through this trial and error process and I did learn a few things from it. So with that knowledge, 1st, I知 off to please the Mrs. but then, I知  throwing in some PUBG and giving it a do-over with 1,800 Dpi. Compared to 12,000. I also realized I need to change the name of my Anti-Aim Assist setup thread to better reflect what my actual intentions are.

Cheers!

« Last Edit: 08:51 AM - 08/23/19 by RML »
ADVANCED SETUPS

Offline idkwtf

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: DPI and Sync Testing, A do-over, because I知 Anal!
« Reply #1 on: 09:51 AM - 08/23/19 »
Nice post. I agree with everything you said. I also know that most of it is FACT and not just opinion. I've done testing of my own and it's crazy that people still think DPI doesn't effect aim assist. I think they are trying to judge based on a few games, moments, or gun fights. I go to actual aim courses and compare both hip and ads as I strafe and move in and around a target. There is 110% a difference. I would make video proof if I wasn't so lazy lol. Not worth the trouble tbh.

That being said I currently run 2000 DPI with sync off and smoothing. It's the highest DPI I can go before sensors own smoothing kicks in (I don't care to add an extra 5-6 ms of input lag just for high dpi) whether or not people notice the effects of sensor smoothing doesn't change the fact it's there and decreasing the response time.

One thing I really REALLY want to know is exactly how much delay xim's own smoothing adds for every 1 added. With mouse sensors it goes by frames and every x amount of frames is 1ms of input delay. I wonder if we can get some answers out of obsiv.

EDIT: For clarification. My mouse has 3360 sensor which has 5-6 ms of delay above 2000 DPI. Logitech mice with 3366 and hero sensor do NOT have any extra smoothing or delay at ANY DPI.
« Last Edit: 10:04 AM - 08/23/19 by idkwtf »

Offline Verone-

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Verone-
« Reply #2 on: 10:19 AM - 08/23/19 »
Question, of you'd have a mouse with 16k dpi.. Would you use 16k?

Offline Xchronicx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:49 PM - 08/23/19 »
What about 16k RML? I swore by low dpi for years until I got a 16k mouse

Offline Onepumpchump-

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:27 PM - 08/23/19 »
About to try out those 2 diff setups on destiny 2 on pc!

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08:02 PM - 08/23/19 »
There is 110% a difference.

The biggest difference for me is maneuverability on target.

What about 16k RML? I swore by low dpi for years until I got a 16k mouse

If I had it I壇 probably use it, but I don稚 so I can稚 judge.
ADVANCED SETUPS

Offline idkwtf

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07:00 AM - 08/24/19 »
There is 110% a difference.

The biggest difference for me is maneuverability on target.

Same. And that's the most important factor in my opinion. I hit way more headshots and shots in general while moving inside of a hit box with high dpi. I actually switched back to a logitech mouse today so I can use 12k dpi again and man what a difference. The little finalmouse is fun, but I think I'm done trying to use 3360 sensors with xim. Higher DPI is too important when dealing with aim assist.

Offline hyperliite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01:45 PM - 08/24/19 »
Looking forward to some PUBG stuff!

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #8 on: 06:02 PM - 08/24/19 »
Thanks for doing the testing. Based on your findings, I played some AL tonight using 1000/1000, 1800 DPI and 3 Smoothing (I always play with Sync - Off) and found it really easy to stay on a target that痴 close and running across me. Best setting to cut into the AA bubble that I致e found so far (Generic ST with a tweaked version of HCC痴 curve). Many thanks.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Crucial MX500 1TB, T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica AD700, Modmic 5, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 [email protected], Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill [email protected], XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Sorothos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:50 AM - 08/25/19 »
I will try 12000 DPI, smoothness 4 and sync off on COD MW Alpha 2vs2 with IW ST and on COD BO4 with BO4 ST. Thanks for the tip and for testing so long.

Currently i'm using sync default with 12000 DPI, so lets see if i can get better.

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03:38 PM - 08/25/19 »
Looking forward to some PUBG stuff!

Should be home later in the week, Thurs - Fri.
ADVANCED SETUPS

Offline Azoz Ahmed

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Azoz Ahmed
« Reply #11 on: 09:41 PM - 08/25/19 »
When using sync off my sensitivity gets soo slow, I知 using common rn

Offline RML

• MVP
  • Live Different
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05:47 AM - 08/26/19 »
When using sync off my sensitivity gets soo slow, I知 using common rn

You have to multiply your sensitivity by 16.
ADVANCED SETUPS

Offline year0

• Still, if YOU believe it helps YOU play better, tf
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: year0
« Reply #13 on: 12:54 PM - 08/27/19 »
Aim Assist is 100% like my marriage.. it only happens on the internet..

Actually I have a serious question, and you seem like a grizzled veteran esp in regard to DPI..

When I use someones settings and they're at 12000 dpi, I use the CS:GO dpi calculator that's recommended on here as my mouse maxes out at 4000 DPI. Often the resultant setting is much too sensitive, and it's not down to my personal preference, it seems that sometimes the sensitivity just doesn't scale - is this something you've seen happen?
If you believe it gives you an edge, then it does.
That's why I game 100% nude in a climate controlled room. Clothes are only going to slow you down.

Offline Die_Hard

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: aalsarram
« Reply #14 on: 06:17 PM - 08/27/19 »
when I try the xim APEX for the first time 12000 i felt the difference between APEX and 4 and I was dominating in all games. Then I tried the 500hz and lower dpi and different synchronizations then I was being dominated.

I switch back to 1000hz 12000dpi and start dominating back.