XIM Community

[RESOLVED] XIM4 stops working midstream on PS4  (Read 151 times)

Offline fire4effect1

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: MedicUP
[RESOLVED] XIM4 stops working midstream on PS4
« on: 09:35 PM - 08/14/19 »
Sorry, new to this, couldn't find a thread addressing this after a brief search.

I've purchased a new PS4, I've attached my XIM4 that I've been using on an XBOX quite awhile.  Set up a new configuration, seems to work great....... for about 5 minutes.  Then all of a sudden nothing works.  No inputs get to the screen, no XIM lights blinking with with keystrokes but the app on my phone if connected shows the keystrokes I'm hitting real time.

If I unplug the XIM4 and replug, it immediately works again but quits in about 5 minutes.

Ideas on a fix please?

Thanks
W
« Last Edit: Today at 09:09 AM by mist4fun »

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: GamingNerd-MnK
Re: XIM4 stops working midstream on PS4
« Reply #1 on: 10:07 PM - 08/14/19 »
I hate to be that guy but.... you do know that this is the xim apex section right?
The Xim is not a magical tool that is going to make you a god. Time, effort and perseverance is what will take your gaming to the next level.

[Ps4] [Sony Nav] [T9 Gamepad] [Logitech G502 Proteus] [Dpi's: 12,000, 3200, 4000, 2400] [Syncs: Off and Common]

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 01:36 AM - 08/15/19 »
Insufficient power to the connected devices is pretty frequent (the console provides the power, not XIM4 and can be overloaded), either remove the controller battery or remove it to reduce the load.

A faulty USB cable from controller to XIM is the most common issue. If you have another data USB cable, please try it.

I can *almost* guarantee it's one or the other.

Please let us know your mouse & keyboard as some brands draw more power than others. You can also connect m/kb to a powered USB hub, then connect the USB hub to XIM4 if power drain is a significant issue.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline fire4effect1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08:52 PM - 08/16/19 »
Well I swapped out the USB cable from the XIM4 to the controller.  No change.  I then purchased a powered USB hub.  I have the XIM4 plugged into the powered hub and the hub into the PS4.  After about 5 minutes of game play, the game pad/mouse go dead and I have no control on the PS4 anywhere.  I have to unplug the XIM from the USB hub and replug to get it to re-recognize the controller and it will again only play about 5 minutes before failing.

I'm using a Razor Tartarus Chroma game pad and a Logitech G700s mouse.  The gamepad is hard wired to the XIM, the mouse is bluetooth.  Anyone have any other ideas?

Thank you
W

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: [ACTIVE] XIM4 stops working midstream on PS4
« Reply #4 on: 09:53 PM - 08/16/19 »
Before you spend any more money, make sure that PS4 > Settings > Devices > Controllers > Communication Method is set to Use USB Cable.

Don't plug the XIM4 into a powered USB hub, that won't help as you'll still end up with power further upstream than you need it, which is at the mouse & keyboard.

Plug mouse & keyboard into the powered USB hub, then plug the hub into one of the XIM4 USB ports. The controller must remain directly attached to XIM4, but you can do what you want with the other ports.

Because of the intermittent connections, it's most likely one of the connected devices causing the issue. If the XIM itself was faulty, it wouldn't work at all rather than cutting in and out.

My guess is if replacing the controller USB cable didn't help, the USB port on the controller may be faulty. This can easily happen by simply dropping a controller, which we all do once in awhile. If you have a spare controller, try that.

Also try a different USB cable from XIM4 to the console.
« Last Edit: 10:01 PM - 08/16/19 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline fire4effect1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:32 PM - 08/18/19 »
OK.... Well I purchased another powered USB hub thinking the other one might be defective.  I left the XIM plugged into the PS4 direct, then plugged the powered hub into the XIM on the port with 2 dots.  I plugged the game pad into the powered hub.  I then had no backlights to the game pad, it appeared to not have power at all.  No matter what ports I tried, I could never get the gamepad to get power if the hub was between the XIM and the game pad.  I tried a generic wired keyboard, same results.

I tried placing the hub between the PS4 and the XIM, the system worked then but with the same results of the system failing after a few minutes. 

I've now given up on the hub fix, it doesn't seem to have any difference in the results, regardless of where it's placed in the system.  I now have the XIM plugged directly to the PS4, the keyboard is plugged into the XIM two dot port, the mouse wireless transmitter is plugged into the one dot port.  I've verified the PS4 is set to USB cable and not wireless as you directed.  I've tried rebooting the PS4.

Now..... when I use the PS4, I get approximately 8 minutes 10 seconds of function before the system fails.  I've timed it several times and it's consistently about an 8 minute function time.  When it fails, I unplug the XIM from the PS4, I get a warning message to reconnect the controller, then I plug it back in.  The XIM goes through it's boot sequence with the flashing lights and when I get a slow red pulsation the keyboard and mouse are functioning again.

I can't for the life of me figure out why we have a failure that occurs every 8 minutes and instantly resets by simply unplugging the device and plugging it back in.  I've got all new cables, the PS4 controller is brand new and never been dropped.  I saw something about removing the battery in the controller.  Is there any chance that battery is pulling too much charge and overwhelming a sensor somewhere?

Really frustrated, any more suggestions?

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 07:57 PM - 08/18/19 »
8 minutes is the reauthentication timeout between PS4 and the controller. Are you using a genuine Sony DualShock 4?

As above, the controller must remain directly connected to XIM4. Only connect the mouse & keyboard to a powered USB hub.

It sounds like either the PS4 or the USB cable given the consistency of the timeout. Are you turning the console on via the DualShock 4, or via the console power button?
« Last Edit: 08:02 PM - 08/18/19 by antithesis »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09:16 AM - 08/19/19 »
Welcome to the community. Could you try updating to this firmware? It has the latest controller support that fixes an eight minute disconnect when using a new controller type. This is a manual update that requires a PC.

You can find the latest XIM4 firmware below. Please read the instructions on the download page.

http://community.xim.tech/index.php?topic=49093.0
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline fire4effect1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:09 PM - 08/22/19 »
Gentlemen,

I downloaded the firmware update you recommended and we have success!  XIM4 is working with the PS4 without any more issues and no powered hub is required.  Thank you for the assist.

Fire 4 Effect out!