XIM Community

[RESOLVED] Brand new XIM Apex, cannot get it to work; tried everything  (Read 214 times)

Offline Traquil_Panic

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Tranquil_Panic
When I first opened the box, I went and downloaded latest firmware. Connected all peripherals in correct order and turned on my PS4. Then I connected xim apex and tried to use the PC manager app. Would not connect through bluetooth gave me "could not locate timed out" error. I then tried to do the direct wired method and gave me "writing failure" error or it froze instantly and I got "program not responding" error. I then tried to factory reset and now my PC will not recognize xim apex, says bad driver error message. It won't even light up when I plug it in. I have 3 usb 2.0 ports on my PC and tried all of them, same error. I have restarted my PC, uninstalled manager app and reinstalled, and same error. This thing is brand new in box, purchased from amazon. I also just bought brand new peripherals (logitech g502 mouse, and sades one hand mechanical keyboard) but it doesn't matter because I can't even use my xim apex, please help!
« Last Edit: 09:31 PM - 08/14/19 by OBsIV »

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Welcome to the community. Thanks for trying these steps. So when you plug it into a PC with the button pressed it doesn't light up blue anymore?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline Traquil_Panic

• View Profile
No, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't. I plugged into my ps4 and it was flashing rainbow colors and i connected to the app and it was breathing red, then it went white and disconnected. I unplugged it and plugged it back in glowed blue wouldn't connect. Unplugged again and it won't light up, restart ps4 won't light up. This is really frustrating I've only had it since yesterday can't even use it.

Offline Traquil_Panic

• View Profile
Now it no longer lights up at all, whether I plug it in to my PS4 or my PC and I'm assuming this thing is donzo. Also not hearing back after "huh, it's not turning blue after you hold down the button and plug it in" is not encouraging either. Guess I'll send it back tomorrow.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Did you buy it from an official distributor?

Offline Traquil_Panic

• View Profile
I purchased from Amazon.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Ok, unfortunately we can't guarantee any quality of what you are getting when you buy from Amazon. Most people that report defective XIM's get it through Amazon.

I would recommend though plugging into your PC again (while holding the button) and going through Device Manager to find "USB Input Device" and uninstall it and then replug the device.

Offline Traquil_Panic

• View Profile
I can't because it doesn't light up anymore and my pc doesn't even recognize that anything is even plugged in. I am receiving a replacement from amazon prime. Also just wondering why you can't "guarantee" a xim apex purchased through amazon.

Offline Traquil_Panic

• View Profile
Also I have a few things I need clarified about the setup. You say in your instructional video to plug each peripheral into the hub, then apex, and then into already running PS4. Does that mean I have to plug it in every time I start up my PS4? If so, that is disconcerting because that will greatly increase the chance that it will eventually fail. Just like your mouse and keyboard have "lifetime" number of clicks, the contacts in the dongle will wear out.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I can't because it doesn't light up anymore and my pc doesn't even recognize that anything is even plugged in.

If APEX is not powering on when connected to a PC and console then unfortunately it will need repair. To request a repair please open a ticket using this link.

https://store.xim.tech/crm.asp?action=add

Also just wondering why you can't "guarantee" a xim apex purchased through amazon.

APEX units sold on Amazon are sold by third parties and fulfillment is handled by Amazon. What happens is a unit can have an issue like this and the customer returns it to Amazon. Amazon or the seller can place the items back into circulation and here we are. To avoid this issue I recommend buying direct or from a distributor. Our official shop and list of distributors is here:

http://xim.tech/shop

Also I have a few things I need clarified about the setup. You say in your instructional video to plug each peripheral into the hub, then apex, and then into already running PS4. Does that mean I have to plug it in every time I start up my PS4? If so, that is disconcerting because that will greatly increase the chance that it will eventually fail. Just like your mouse and keyboard have "lifetime" number of clicks, the contacts in the dongle will wear out.

You could leave it connected in most cases but I do sometimes see initial connection issues reported from users leaving their APEX connected before their console is powered. The issue is resolved by reconnecting APEX to the console after the console is on.

Obsiv can correct me if I'm wrong but the ports are rated for thousands of push/pulls but if wear is a concern then I recommend using a short extension cable between APEX and console.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Traquil_Panic

• View Profile
This was a new unit sold as new and if there was an issue it would have originated from your factory even if it was returned and put back into circulation. Passing the blame onto venders and ultimately the customer is not a consumer friendly practice, neither is telling a customer to send it to you and pay more to fix the problem. If amazon is unreliable then you should discontinue your business relationship, otherwise you should stand behind your product. Fortunately, amazon is sending another apex tomorrow at no additional cost to me.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
XIM Tech has no relationship with Amazon, all sales are from third-parties.

It's unfortunately Amazon's "no questions asked" refund policy at fault here, not XIM Tech. Your return will be recycled again and the next person to buy it will come here with the same frustrations levelled at the wrong party.

The only way to guarantee a clean supply line from the factory to the customer is through XIM's website, or via authorised distributors listed on this site.

Don't buy from eBay or Amazon, the listings are not from XIM Tech and are not to be trusted. The same is true for a significant number of brand-name products, you simply don't know what you're buying!

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
We have seen people buying units of Amazon and receiving what looks like a new unit but was actually a return where the board in the enclosure was removed and replaced with USB ports glued in. Whoever did that used Amazon to steal a free unit.

Offline Traquil_Panic

• View Profile
I find that hard to believe, when a "third party" buys 100 or 1000 xim units you know as well as I do they are going to sell them. Also I think you are exaggerating extreme cases where someone committed fraud which, of course, can happen to any product. I am not saying these instances did not occur, but these are few and far between and you are making it sound like this is happening consistently. I think it is more likely that a certain percentage of xims are defective and customers are simply returning them, which is reflected in the reviews. Most are positive, which is why it has four out of five stars but there are some one star reviews which usually state the apex did not light up or something to that effect. We will have to agree to disagree on this issue, but to further reiterate my point I received a new apex today that works perfectly.   

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
Yes, our distributors buy XIMs in bulk and then they sell through multiple outlets -- including Amazon. If you don't buy from one of our official distributors we can't guarantee quality. It's that simple. And no, no XIM ever leaves the factory in non-working condition -- ever. That's monitored and controled. Random sellers through Amazon will do what they can to make the sale and Amazon simply repackages returns and resells it no questions asked. No one should buy a XIM from a distributor that isn't on our official distributors list. Who did you buy from exactly? If it was from one of our official distributors I want to know about it. Otherwise, you are gambling with what your getting.