XIM Community

To XIM Developers: If 1000hz is so good, why don't Microsoft use it on the Elite  (Read 997 times)

Online Bb4life1991

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Bb4life1990
Im getting confused. So explain to me how synchronisation and xim apex response rate differs or what is the e relationship between them? Why do we have 2 options? Does response rate overwrite or take priority over sync and if so, does setting xim apex response rate to 125hz effectively automatically sets all sync to slow.

God dammit
Think of mouse polling and XIM APEX Response Rate as Input polling, and Sync as Output polling.

XIM4 had a fixed Input and Output polling rate of 125Hz. XIM APEX has configurable Input and Output polling rates of 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz and 1000Hz via Response Rate.

Sync Off passes through the Response Rate at the defined Output polling rate of 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz and 1000Hz. So basically, XIM APEX passes through the polling rate from the mouse to the game, which can result in smoother, more precise movement.

However, high Output polling from XIM to the console was found to cause jitter for some users, so Sync was added to dampen the Output polling to "sync" with a game's processing loop, thus reducing jitter, with the added bonus of stickier Aim Assist.

Sync at values other than Off creates additional Output polling rates of 30Hz (Slow), 60Hz (Common) and 120Hz (Default). I can't 100% confirm this as it's XIM secret sauce, but I can't see Sync working any other way, so let's just run with it.

So, you can set your HIP to 1000Hz mouse polling, 1000Hz RR and Sync Off at 1000Hz to get what you want. For ADS, no changes are required for mouse polling or RR given Sync at Default will dial APEX back to 120Hz output for stickier AA. That's close enough to 125Hz.

Try it and let me know if it works. Slow might be worth a shot on ADS too as D2 is a 30FPS game. A touch of Smoothing can also add a little stickiness to AA.

Good post antithesis im thinking after reading a few of ur post this is how it works dor the most part. My favorite settings though are what replicate a controller and xim4 125hz off sync or 1000hz off sync 20 smoothing(now the same as 125hz off sync minus the 8ms delay due to 1000hz) so basically a beefed up controller

Offline link575

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: LoneWolf575

Aside from potential jitter (which is largely environmental), the only notable negative of 1000Hz is microphone distortion on Xbox One controller-connected headsets (it's an issue on Titan Two too) and some XB1 games can feel laggy while chatting. 500Hz or lower will reduce the negative effect. Audio compatibility mode in XB1 game configs forces the output to 125Hz, but I'd recommend trying 500Hz first.

Does this affect game audio in general as well? I noticed on COD and PvZ if I don't have audio compatibility checked I get tonsss of audio stutter/static. Even with it checked I still get it occasionally and didn't know if my Xbox is just conking out or it was a problem with the response rate.

Offline Frash brang

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Frash brang
Im getting confused. So explain to me how synchronisation and xim apex response rate differs or what is the e relationship between them? Why do we have 2 options? Does response rate overwrite or take priority over sync and if so, does setting xim apex response rate to 125hz effectively automatically sets all sync to slow.

God dammit
Think of mouse polling and XIM APEX Response Rate as Input polling, and Sync as Output polling.

XIM4 had a fixed Input and Output polling rate of 125Hz. XIM APEX has configurable Input and Output polling rates of 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz and 1000Hz via Response Rate.

Sync Off passes through the Response Rate at the defined Output polling rate of 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz and 1000Hz. So basically, XIM APEX passes through the polling rate from the mouse to the game, which can result in smoother, more precise movement.

However, high Output polling from XIM to the console was found to cause jitter for some users, so Sync was added to dampen the Output polling to "sync" with a game's processing loop, thus reducing jitter, with the added bonus of stickier Aim Assist.

Sync at values other than Off creates additional Output polling rates of 30Hz (Slow), 60Hz (Common) and 120Hz (Default). I can't 100% confirm this as it's XIM secret sauce, but I can't see Sync working any other way, so let's just run with it.

So, you can set your HIP to 1000Hz mouse polling, 1000Hz RR and Sync Off at 1000Hz to get what you want. For ADS, no changes are required for mouse polling or RR given Sync at Default will dial APEX back to 120Hz output for stickier AA. That's close enough to 125Hz.

Try it and let me know if it works. Slow might be worth a shot on ADS too as D2 is a 30FPS game. A touch of Smoothing can also add a little stickiness to AA.

Very interesting and well explained sir.

I am going to try 1000hz response rate, off sync and use my mouse to limit to 125hz.

Then i will test 1000hz response rate, 1000hz mouse and use default to limit to 120hz. To see if there is any difference.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
You canít set mouse polling lower than Response Rate. Leave the mouse at 1000Hz and set RR to 125Hz instead.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Frash brang

• MVP
    • View Profile
You canít set mouse polling lower than Response Rate. Leave the mouse at 1000Hz and set RR to 125Hz instead.

Ahh yes.

Shall we have a little cuddle?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Does this affect game audio in general as well? I noticed on COD and PvZ if I don't have audio compatibility checked I get tonsss of audio stutter/static. Even with it checked I still get it occasionally and didn't know if my Xbox is just conking out or it was a problem with the response rate.
Yes, it can affect audio, and even framerates in some XB1 games. The console's just not built for 1000Hz input and XIM may be flooding the USB host with too much data, causing operating system issues that leech into the game.

Rather than use Audio Compatibility mode (which forces XIM Response Rate down to 125Hz), try using 500Hz Response Rate.

This isn't a problem on PS4 as the DS4 operates at 800Hz via Bluetooth, so it's reasonable to expect that PS4 has a 20% overhead (1000Hz) for smooth controller input over BT.

XB1's USB port functions at 250Hz, but the controller only responds to every second ping (refer to ConsoleTuner documentation for more info), so I'd be using 250Hz as the baseline for XB1 rather than 125Hz.

Like XB1, PS4's USB ports run at 250Hz. Jumping from 125Hz on XIM4 to 250Hz Response Rate on XIM APEX made a world of difference to my PS4 m/kb experience. Interestingly, I'm also having a better time with XB1 Smart Translators on PS4.

Ahh yes.

Shall we have a little cuddle?
Big spoon or little spoon?
« Last Edit: 03:25 PM - 11/19/19 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline Frash brang

• MVP
    • View Profile
Xbox one controller talks at 125hz.

So the only way to replicate 125hz is by using xim response rate 125hz and off sync.

As default sync is 120hz not 125hz?

After testing xim response rate 125hz with off and comparing to default (120hz) i can report that default creates 'a more sticky aiming experience' than off.

Suprising when we are only talking a difference of 5hz. This leads me to believe that maybe what we understand about sync (in terms of true values) may perhaps not be quite accurate.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Sync at Default is 120FPS, which is another way of saying 120Hz, or 120 cycles per second. Common is 60. Slow is 30. We know these things for certain.

What we don't know for sure is how Sync works as APEX may still be reporting to the console at the Response Rate, but values are interpolated at the Sync rate on APEX, thus smoothing out jitter.

In any case, does this do what you want Frash - HIP with less AA, ADS with more AA?
« Last Edit: 06:38 PM - 11/19/19 by antithesis »

Offline link575

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: LoneWolf575

Rather than use Audio Compatibility mode (which forces XIM Response Rate down to 125Hz), try using 500Hz Response Rate.

I tried that before the compatibility mode but even at 500Hz I was getting audio glitches. Maybe my box is just dying. Thanks for the input though

Offline Frash brang

• MVP
    • View Profile
Sync at Default is 120FPS, which is another way of saying 120Hz, or 120 cycles per second. Common is 60. Slow is 30. We know these things for certain.

What we don't know for sure is how Sync works as APEX may still be reporting to the console at the Response Rate, but values are interpolated at the Sync rate on APEX, thus smoothing out jitter.

In any case, does this do what you want Frash - HIP with less AA, ADS with more AA?

Yes it does anth.

For pve i use 125hz response rate with off sync on both hip and ads sub configs and 1000hz mouse polling.

For pvp i use 125hz response rate with default sync on ads and off sync on hip sub config and 1000hz mouse polling.

Audio compatibility :D