XIM Community

What is this Aim Assist they are crying about?  (Read 2668 times)

Offline ThedirtyRabbit

• View Profile
What is this Aim Assist they are crying about?
« on: 02:47 PM - 07/22/19 »
https://www.trueachievements.com/n38440/apex-legends-mouse-and-keyboard-support-xbox-one

I've been using a XiM since PuBG and to my knowledge there is no aim assist that allows you lock to on players when using the XiM. What in the world are they referring to, unless I've been missing something this entire time?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: What is this Aim Assist they are crying about?
« Reply #1 on: 03:11 PM - 07/22/19 »
Most games have aim assist, which is a magnetic bubble around a target to help controller users with their aim.

For XIM users, it can be as much of a hindrance as a help as it can act as a forcefield that prevents entry in the hitbox.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ThedirtyRabbit

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03:44 PM - 07/22/19 »
Most games have aim assist, which is a magnetic bubble around a target to help controller users with their aim.

For XIM users, it can be as much of a hindrance as a help as it can act as a forcefield that prevents entry in the hitbox.

They are reporting it as if XIM is giving us auto aim which just isn't true. I've found with Apex Legends we sacrifice the built in game aim assist to use m&k

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 03:55 PM - 07/22/19 »
Yes, it's absolutely untrue, we have far less usable AA than controller users. Digital input (kb) also tends to ignore AA.

That said, it doesn't help when forum members post "Apex Legends Aimbot" configs... ::)

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07:16 PM - 07/22/19 »
Okqy that's it! Now I'm going to make the most powerful AA setting possible with the xim and live up to these bogus claims😅. I may now change my psn to GamingTroll😅😅😅. Time to give them what they've asked for.

Ps: There's  100% failure rating on this claim.
The Xim is not a magical tool that is going to make you a god. Time, effort and perseverance is what will take your gaming to the next level.

[Ps4] [Sony Nav] [T9 Gamepad] [Logitech G502 Proteus] [Dpi's: 12,000, 3200, 4000, 2400] [Syncs: Off and Common]

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07:29 PM - 07/22/19 »
The irony of the situation is that Aim Assist is the #1 reason Amy controller user even stands a chance against us.

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:47 AM - 07/23/19 »
More on Aim Assist, how it really hurts your aim

When your game has Lag compensation poorly implemented (netcode) hitboxes are really off, aim assist will lock-on into a target that actually is not there anymore (like the picture above). So you have to lead your shots to deal with this issue.

Leading the shoot is easy with analog joystick, you can get out of the hitbox (aim assist bubble) effortless due the joystick mechanics.

NOT WITH XIM, due its mouse translation (micromovement) your crosshairs is stuck / janked, getting out of a hitbox is major hindrance thus leading the shoot with aim assist on XIM is way more difficult. Now, imagine you are shooting to many targets that are very close together, crosshair getting stuck over and over; yes most likely you are in a huge disadvantage.

And this is another fact anti-XIM ignorant whiners and most XIMers also ignored.

That's why veterans XIMers, PC Gamers and XIM Team encourage to not use/rely on aim assist and features added is to remove it, because in some games you don't have that option.

Two years ago, I played competitive private matches on a MP game vs other M&KB players (a few XIMers, most were Hori Tac Pro) and I was pretty good, top player score leader, my XIM fellas keep asking me what was my secret, how I was getting those crazy shoots, how I set my aim assist so strong. They kept nagging me with that until I retired from those tourneys, they don't believe me when I told them I was going in the opposite direction, use less as possible.

TL;TR if you are XIM user and your settings is to get more aim assist, you are doing it wrong. not ethically, literately wrong.

« Last Edit: 05:32 PM - 07/23/19 by alanmcgregor »

Offline WarCat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12:11 PM - 07/23/19 »
Love the explanation Alan! Looks like something out of doctor strange there too! I am assuming that this would be the same for when a character is rubber banding or teleporting forward due to their excessive lag, except the hitbox model would be further away in that case. Lag compensation is the worse thing ever, especially in games that favor the poor connection in their netcode. Why should the person with a stable, wired 1GB fiber connection be punished over the person using their cellular hotspot in the back of a 1962 RV parked under a bridge?

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12:29 PM - 07/23/19 »
... I am assuming that this would be the same for when a character is rubber banding or teleporting forward due to their excessive lag, except the hitbox model would be further away in that case...
You're right, that is even worse. Pretty much you are trying to aim to a teleporting player when aim assist is going after a ghost trail, bananas!

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02:41 AM - 07/24/19 »
I like how you used text size to deliever the message that you were whispeing. Very good explanation bro!

Unfortunately, I'm one of those guys that like to try to abuse the aim assist. But, that's just between me and you. Lol!

But with this explanation I can see why I miss some shots on laggy mofos.

It has happened plenty of times on Apex Legends causing me to lose the match.

Ps: For you to be able to play without an ounce of AA is beyond amazing bro. I've tried it and it's not that I can't hit my shots but when my target moves and the game seems to pixelate I miss every shot and give the controller even more of an advantage than he already had.
The Xim is not a magical tool that is going to make you a god. Time, effort and perseverance is what will take your gaming to the next level.

[Ps4] [Sony Nav] [T9 Gamepad] [Logitech G502 Proteus] [Dpi's: 12,000, 3200, 4000, 2400] [Syncs: Off and Common]

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #10 on: 04:03 AM - 07/24/19 »
https://www.trueachievements.com/n38440/apex-legends-mouse-and-keyboard-support-xbox-one
The issue that I have with the article is that the writer claims that the XIM "trick(s) the console into reading their mouse and keyboard as a controller." It's this generally accepted fact (reported previously in dozens of other on-line rags) that leads so many of the great unwashed XIM haters to believe that they are being tricked by XIMmers.

Until the great day when all controller-users understand that the XIM translates mouse and keyboard actions into those that a controller can do, this misunderstanding will continue and controller players will continue to think that the XIM is a cheating device.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline RML

• MVP
  • AKA "KO" - PUBG Shield [ON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:54 PM - 07/24/19 »
While I agree with Alan on some levels, I disagree on others.

If you're coming from PC then yeah, you should "probably" first try playing without any Aim Assist and try to max your skill set that way. Which in that case, I would follow all of Od1n's tutorials on how to maximize your aim.

However, I've tried no Aim Assist and I have a few problems with this on consoles.

#1 - IDC how good an ST is, it still isn't exactly like PC. There still seems to be some slight acceleration issue even with the best look mechanics like COD and BF. They're minor, but they're there.

#2 - Alot of games have built in acceleration in the look mechanic that are far more prominent then COD or BF. So unless you're a 1 trick pony, every games going to feel different.

#3 - Some games don't even allow you to turn off Aim Assist. So if you're like me and enjoy these games as well, then you're going to have to learn how to deal with it. This then creates another learning curve you have to overcome.

#4 - Although that was an interesting opinion on what's happening with Aim Assist (locking your cursor behind the target), I personally don't agree with it. Atleast not in every scenario. If your connection is consistently 100ms or more then maybe, occasionally this would be an issue. My connection is generally between 50-100ms and I've never experienced this. IMO, what Alan is describing here is what's been refereed to as the AA bubble effect. Which again isn't really true, there's no BUBBLE that pushes your cursor away. It's simply a slow down effect caused by Aim Assist, which can make your cursor feel like it's stuck in the mud as you try to enter the hit box. You're not actually locked onto a target behind your enemy, you're just stuck in the mud and can't catch up to him without speeding up hand movement.

#5 - Aim Assist allows you to play alot faster and you don't need and Xtra large game pad. I would chose accuracy over speed anyday on PC. This isn't PC folks, here in the land of XIM you can have both!

#6 - Aim Assist severely decreases the learning curve for those coming from console without a PC background. No need for measured movements, finding your "perfect" sensitivity or any of that other PC mumbo jumbo. Nope, just turn on the game, adjust sensitivity to your liking and go! That's one of the biggest benefits of XIM. Alot of people are way over thinking this thing.

#7 - I've done a ton of testing and have created numerous curves/setups/explanations for you to utilize in your arsenal.

You're Welcome!

Still.. Bottom line, do what works best for you! There are no pea's left in the pod, they've all grown into their own!

Cheers!

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07:23 PM - 07/24/19 »
As I said, use as little as possible and is a good thing XIM team give us more settings to have the chance to combat or remove aim assist on games that doesn't even have that option.

Yes, there is inherit and unavailable small acceleration and having a subtle slow down on the aim assist bubble compensates not having perfect tracking without acceleration and turn limits. But the slow down must be very very subtle IMO to get in and out of the hit-box target easier and lead shoots, I'm not saying that you should go AA OFF in all games, most has horrible aim/look, not XIM fault.

Unfortunately, and as OBsIV mention in other post, lately game developers have a trend were are cutting down quality ports and aim behavior, making it hard to XIM to perform at its best.

About bad lag compensation and aim assist hurting is fact, games like  COD and BF the majority of guns are hitscans based less prone to have issues, but in-games with different approach (projectile) where bullet travel is significant, like Overwatch (Hanzo, Genj, Widow), Battlefront, PUBG, Fortnite.

This can be an big issue if the game netcode has poor sync and very strong aim assist that pulls you to aim to a spot were a hundred of ms before was a hitbox, this pull doesn't allows you to catch up the target movement. Battlefront II is one of the worst I have seen, follow by Fortnite.

Hitbox was out of bounds on this one, even though he made it:
There is a bunch of videos like these.

This video explains in depth this problem.

So yeah it depends on the game and its implementation, projectile, bad server sync, strong aim assist.

I guess this dreadful mix might be the culprit behind on many ST remakes requests.

I think XIM dev team are devoted on deliver the best precision on consoles, where aim assist is not in the picture. I can not say anything on CoD , but on Battlefield they certainly deliver.

Admin