XIM Community

Respawn is "investigating ways" of detecting Apex Legends players using a XIM  (Read 1112 times)

Offline willemk

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: willemk
Respawn has confirmed it does not condone Apex Legends players using a keyboard and mouse on consoles.

In amongst some discussion about Apex Legends competitive events and its Respawn Artist Showcase in the "7.19 Respawn Check-In" update on Reddit, the developer dropped a little reminder that if you're using a mouse and keyboard whilst playing the free-to-play battle royale on console, they "are investigating ways to detect if players are doing it that".

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-07-21-respawn-is-investigating-ways-of-detecting-apex-legends-players-using-a-keyboard-and-mouse-on-console

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
In other news, I don't condone the consumption of crunchy peanut butter...it tastes yucky.

My statement holds about as much weight as Respawn's. It means nothing on a console that both offers native m/kb libraries and officially licenced m/kb adapters.

I absolutely think it's fair to restrict third-party devices in competition though, that's an entirely different playground with its own set of rules.

By the way, there's already a thread open for this  ;)

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline willemk

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: willemk
But can respawn detect xim ?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
XIM hasn't been detected since its inception over a decade ago, it enumerates as the controller connected to it. Not that it matters either, it's not an illegal or unauthorised device. It's the same thing as a steering wheel or arcade stick.

What Respawn may look into is digital input filtering to detect keyboard input. XIM already has countermeasures for that. The problem for Respawn is input filtering will catch licenced m/kb adapters, devices used by disabled gamers and a percentage of controller users, which means that they're breaking the publishing terms of service of the console manufacturers and pissing off their own best players (e.g high sensitivity controller users). XIM players will still slip the net.

Long story short, there's nothing to worry about. It's lip service to appease people who don't understand how XIM works and are launching a witch hunt. XIM usage in Apex Legends is close to 0% according to the telemetry XIM uses to measure game config installs.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
"We'll revisit this and talk about progress with detection and how we'll address players that are using it in the near future once we've sorted out the game's bugs, worked out how to stop the cheaters on PC and then actually determined whether or not there's, like, an actual problem. (sotto voce) Hey Brent, what's a XIM?"."

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro with 1TB Crucial MX500, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Edawsiwel

• Teacher
    • View Profile
Crunchy peanut butter is great, right off the spoon!!
TEACHER

It’s a poor craftsman who blames his tools

A lion will never tell you he is a lion

It takes all sorts to make a world

Offline Usmc_Roy

• View Profile
I think their priority is PC cheaters lol I highly doubt they’ll use resources to “investigate” m&k users.

Admin