XIM Community

xim3 and kinect  (Read 1820 times)

Offline V00doo1

• V00doo1
    • View Profile
xim3 and kinect
« on: 11:13 AM - 01/09/11 »
I remember reading about getting the kinect camera working with fps.I know this would be a long way off but has anyone thought of the voice recognition would it be possible to say certain commands like reload or prone would it be possible would it be worth it just an idea.

Offline technogiant

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: xim3 and kinect
« Reply #1 on: 11:20 AM - 01/09/11 »
Sure this would already be possible with xim2......there is all ready voice to text software out there......all you would have to do is get it to type a key which was bound to crouch when you said crouch.....I guess the xim software would do it for you.....prone might be diferent as that is a key held action.

Online OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 11:23 AM - 01/09/11 »
Obviously can't do tracking because there is no onboard support for that. But I did hear that there is hardware support in the camera for echo cancellation, but, I believe the client still has the front the resources for actual recognition.

What sort of voice commanding would you want to do?
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline V00doo1

• V00doo1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11:32 AM - 01/09/11 »
It was just an idea that popped into my head I'm not sure what commands would benifit but saying  plant claymore could select it and drop it something like that.

Offline bluemanemt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:44 AM - 01/09/11 »
Oh man this is an awesome idea! I brought this up on another thread and it completely died but thats ok.

That Track IR 5 could be used for right analog. The head movement tracking for looking around. Then some other Track IR 5 deal that watches the legs. The stand still position would be feet shoulder width apart. The walking forward position would be one foot half step forward. sprint would be one foot big step forward.

Crouch and prone would be a little more difficult. Crouch could be done by actually crouching but who wants to crouch for long periods of time(I guess it could cut down on camping :). Prone could be dropping to your knees.

Aiming reticule would be obviously with your hands.  The other part as in voice commands would be for the misc. like reload. Grenade you could do my motion. Melee you could do by motion. For squad based tactical games the other voice commands could be to your squad. "Flank to the right" "Rush to cover" stuff like that. The technology I think would be best to look at in the Track IR5. I saw a video of the xyz axis that they used to get that thing to work and it looks right up your alley Obsiv. Ofcourse you'll develop your own deal but I think its very doable.

Offline megadaffy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: megadaffy
« Reply #5 on: 02:15 PM - 01/09/11 »
Something like this would need to be created non game specific IMO. "Plant Claymore" is very specific to a single game, which limits the use for everyone (although I think being able to say that on kinect would be pretty awesome).

I could only see it working if you could possibly record your own commands and attach them to buttons/macros for a remote. I think this would be the most universal way to do something like this.
"Yo, [email protected]#$%... Let's Go" - Army of Darkness

Offline Razor

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: GREATESTonEARTH
  • PSN ID: Khromatique
« Reply #6 on: 06:22 PM - 01/09/11 »
Looks like the movie Gamer is coming to life in this thread xD
I. Love. Sniping.

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
« Reply #7 on: 06:47 PM - 01/09/11 »
Sure this would already be possible with xim2......there is all ready voice to text software out there......all you would have to do is get it to type a key which was bound to crouch when you said crouch.....I guess the xim software would do it for you.....prone might be diferent as that is a key held action.

Voli actually did this a while back: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WeqllgoIhE
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline flyphil76

• lol cakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08:54 PM - 01/09/11 »
Just use a controller. Oh yeah
Sent from my iDevice.

Offline KrazyKarl

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: x1ArmBanditx
« Reply #9 on: 09:43 PM - 01/09/11 »
voice controls???   this could be huge 4 me....but the delay would be horrible right?

Offline Zacharybinx34

• MVP
  • Karma [>] 9,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:11 PM - 01/09/11 »
While this would be cool, the coolness would last about 5 deaths.
I am Spartacus!

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:06 AM - 01/10/11 »
While this would be cool, the coolness would last about 5 deaths.

I have to agree. I tried this concept when unreal tournament first came out for various functions and it really just got me killed.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Xenon

• MVP
  • Boo!
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Xenonshot
« Reply #12 on: 12:35 AM - 01/10/11 »
Im seriously loving this for menu navigation and opening apps, settings etc. not so much for gaming but for everything else it would be real nice. if there was a more robust command set. for scrolling for example instead of it moving one module to the right or left a command like "scroll down" would continuous keep it scrolling at a constant rate until you say "stop" or "press A".

the text input seems to slow to be practical. however if you could use voice commands to record a voice message over XBL and send that would be cool.
I rRrRR 133337Zorz

Offline Jacob P41N

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: akdov 4670
« Reply #13 on: 08:23 AM - 01/10/11 »
Haha voice commands in fps.... too bad when you die, i think the kinect will be a little confused with my language inputs....

Mouse: CM Sentinel Storm
Keyboard: Laser Wolf Claw
Audio: Razer thresher
Console: Xbox One
Monitor: Asus 22" VW227D
Gaming Surface: Razer Goliathus 440x355

Offline Zen

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08:37 AM - 01/10/11 »