XIM Community

Going to buy my first XIM APEX.. What Monitor / Mouse / Keyboard to buy!? Help!  (Read 198 times)

Offline thisisfantasea

• View Profile
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to get myself a XIM Apex in the near future, and just want to ask some quick questions. Please bear in mind I'm VERY NEW to all this, so I'm still learning how everything works. The games I'll mainly be playing would be in this order: Apex Legends. CoD. Destiny. So essentially, this is for FPS games more so and then Action/RPG games secondary. I'm currently on the Apex Legends train, and while I'm not 'great' at the game, I'm still average (I have over 400 wins on the game). So I really want to take myself to the next level and play with a Mouse and Keyboard.

Currently, I game with a 38" Sony TV, it's a great TV with very minimal input lag (I believe 16ms), however I'm looking to get a XIM Apex, which means K&M, which means essentially I'll be sitting closer to the TV/Monitor, so the TV I currently have will be way too big for me to quickly look around the screen and sit so close to, so I'll need something smaller.

So a few questions:

1. As I'm playing on a PS4, ultimately is there any need for me to go for a monitor? Is the best one to go for essentially 60hz with 1ms input lag? Do you all recommend going for a TV or a monitor or can I still play at a high competetive level on a TV?

2. What size TV/Monitor do you recommend? I've looked online and for FPS gaming the best size is 24 or 27 inch monitor. Is this correct?

3. In regards to the mouse, I've looked into quite a few YouTube videos and reviews on the internet, and a lot of people are saying to go for the Logitech G502 Hero. Is this one of the best? And why?

4. In terms of a Keyboard, I'm not too sure. A few websites and posts basically say with a keyboard a cheap or very expensive keyboard will do the job. So what do you lot recommend?

5. I'll need a gaming mouse pad right? A few Ive found are size 'XL' and are huge. So I'll look into this.

6. I recently bought a HyperX Cloud 2 headset. Please tell me these are compatible with the XIM APEX?

So, fortunetly I have a bit of expendable income to get these items. This is my budget for each item:

XIM APEX - 110.
Monitor - 120 max.
Mouse - 70 max.
Keyboard - Unsure, would not want to spend too much.. Maybe 50 max?
Mousepad - 10.

That's 360... Still a lot of money when we really think about it. So I do want to try to minimize that as much as I can whilst still getting a great experience.

Please help me with your knowledge!

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Hi fantasea, welcome to the forums. I'll try to be brief or we'll be here all day :)

1. Console gaming at its absolute fastest is 16.66ms per frame. The fastest computer screen on Earth has at least 8ms of display lag, not the 1ms advertised grey-to-grey number. Most PC screens have around 12ms of lag, so there's no performance benefit to be gained for console game by replacing your screen.

2. If you're going to game from a desk then 38" is huge, in which case a 24 or 27" screen would be better because you can see all of the action within your field of view.

3. There is no best mouse for XIM gaming. G502 is widely used and recommended because some members use Sony Navigator controllers instead of keyboards. G502 is the best of the handful of mouse that has enough buttons to pair with a Nav.

Head to www.rocketjumpninja.com, view the Top 40 mice and choose your poison. They will all work well with a XIM because the sensors in  gaming mice made over the last few years are all top-notch. The Hero sensor is clearly the best if you want to go wireless due to exceedingly low power consumption, so batteries last for months.

4. I'd recommend a keypad rather than full-sized keyboard if this is solely for XIM gaming. Razer Tartarus and Orbweaver are excellent devices to use with a XIM, as long as you're right-handed. If you want to use a keyboard, Logitech has very few issues. Steelseries has great on-board macro support. Razer has problems with power, ghosting and rollover. Corsair can be power-hungry.

5. Pad size is relative to your desk size, your sensitivity preference and whether or not you use mainly your wrist or your shoulder for aiming. I happily use a Steelseries Dex, which is only 32cm wide because my 360 turns are about 25cm. Some people have 40cm 360 turns. Just go with whatever feels right to you.

What's more important is whether you prefer cloth or hard pads. Hard responds better to very high DPI, turns are quicker than cloth, but the pad can chew up mouse feet. Conversely, cloth is better for micro-aim control, but they can feel mushy, turning is less responsive and you may get jitter at high DPI. I like Steelseries Dex as the middleground between the two.

6. Your cans should work, however if you're on PS4, you'll need a Pro or Slim model DualShock 4 controller because the original model does not support audio over USB. The controller must be connected to XIM Apex via USB at all times.

In terms of cost, let's go with entry-level devices that will perform well - XIM Apex, Logitech G203 mouse, Logitech K120 keyboard, Steelseries QcK Edge pad (cloth) or Logitech G440 pad (hard). You honestly don't need any more than that. Spend less on the mouse & kb and more on the pad. G203 is cheap, but offers exceptional performance. K120 is all you need in terms of a kb.

If you want to spend a bit more, G502 and Razer Tartarus are very solid and affordable choices. Again, mouse comes down to preference and I recommend checking RocketJumpNinja's site for the best match for your hand size, grip and button needs.

You don't need a new screen  - 16ms is fast enough, faster won't make any difference for console gaming. The issue is going to be the size of your screen. 24" is more than enough screen real estate for PC or console gaming. What you really need is for the screen to support 120Hz as that's the refresh rate the next-gen of consoles will use and they're only 16 months or so away. I'm not sure that your budget will get what you need, so either dump more into the screen or hold off buying a new one for 18 months.
« Last Edit: 05:28 PM - 07/12/19 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
Hi fantasea, welcome to the forums. I'll try to be brief or we'll be here all day :)

1. Console gaming at its absolute fastest is 16.66ms per frame. The fastest computer screen on Earth has at least 8ms of display lag, not the 1ms advertised grey-to-grey number. Most PC screens have around 12ms of lag, so there's no performance benefit to be gained for console game by replacing your screen.

2. If you're going to game from a desk then 38" is huge, in which case a 24 or 27" screen would be better because you can see all of the action within your field of view.

3. There is no best mouse for XIM gaming. G502 is widely used and recommended because some members use Sony Navigator controllers instead of keyboards. G502 is the best of the handful of mouse that has enough buttons to pair with a Nav.

Head to www.rocketjumpninja.com, view the Top 40 mice and choose your poison. They will all work well with a XIM because the sensors in  gaming mice made over the last few years are all top-notch. The Hero sensor is clearly the best if you want to go wireless due to exceedingly low power consumption, so batteries last for months.

4. I'd recommend a keypad rather than full-sized keyboard if this is solely for XIM gaming. Razer Tartarus and Orbweaver are excellent devices to use with a XIM, as long as you're right-handed. If you want to use a keyboard, Logitech has very few issues. Steelseries has great on-board macro support. Razer has problems with power, ghosting and rollover. Corsair can be power-hungry.

5. Pad size is relative to your desk size, your sensitivity preference and whether or not you use mainly your wrist or your shoulder for aiming. I happily use a Steelseries Dex, which is only 32cm wide because my 360 turns are about 25cm. Some people have 40cm 360 turns. Just go with whatever feels right to you.

What's more important is whether you prefer cloth or hard pads. Hard responds better to very high DPI, turns are quicker than cloth, but the pad can chew up mouse feet. Conversely, cloth is better for micro-aim control, but they can feel mushy, turning is less responsive and you may get jitter at high DPI. I like Steelseries Dex as the middleground between the two.

6. Your cans should work, however if you're on PS4, you'll need a Pro or Slim model DualShock 4 controller because the original model does not support audio over USB. The controller must be connected to XIM Apex via USB at all times.

In terms of cost, let's go with entry-level devices that will perform well - XIM Apex, Logitech G203 mouse, Logitech K120 keyboard, Steelseries QcK Edge pad (cloth) or Logitech G440 pad (hard). You honestly don't need any more than that. Spend less on the mouse & kb and more on the pad. G203 is cheap, but offers exceptional performance. K120 is all you need in terms of a kb.

If you want to spend a bit more, G502 and Razer Tartarus are very solid and affordable choices. Again, mouse comes down to preference and I recommend checking RocketJumpNinja's site for the best match for your hand size, grip and button needs.

You don't need a new screen  - 16ms is fast enough, faster won't make any difference for console gaming. The issue is going to be the size of your screen. 24" is more than enough screen real estate for PC or console gaming. What you really need is for the screen to support 120Hz as that's the refresh rate the next-gen of consoles will use and they're only 16 months or so away. I'm not sure that your budget will get what you need, so either dump more into the screen or hold off buying a new one for 18 months.
Thank you for your advice (on behalf of thisisfantasea).
Where's Half-Life 3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Crucial MX500 1TB, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Gigabyte Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ATH AD700, Soundblaster X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 [email protected], Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill [email protected], XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline thisisfantasea

• View Profile
Haha, apologies. Thank you.

I did PM antithesis to thank him and have been having a conversation regarding stuff I need to buy.

antithesis also advised to post back on here regarding the monitors.

So I hope someone is able to offer advice.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
  • Captain_Minxley
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
You're welcome.

In all honesty, I'd go for the BenQ as the diferentiator between those four is price. They're all 8 bit TN panels with 1-2ms grey-to-grey, fairly low lighting levels and low input lag.

If you're not interested in 4k, PC compatability or colour accuracy, any one of them will be fine.
Where's Half-Life 3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Crucial MX500 1TB, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Gigabyte Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ATH AD700, Soundblaster X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 [email protected], Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill Rip[email protected], XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline slickrick

• View Profile
Hey everyone.

I'm looking to get myself a XIM Apex in the near future, and just want to ask some quick questions. Please bear in mind I'm VERY NEW to all this, so I'm still learning how everything works. The games I'll mainly be playing would be in this order: Apex Legends. CoD. Destiny. So essentially, this is for FPS games more so and then Action/RPG games secondary. I'm currently on the Apex Legends train, and while I'm not 'great' at the game, I'm still average (I have over 400 wins on the game). So I really want to take myself to the next level and play with a Mouse and Keyboard.

Currently, I game with a 38" Sony TV, it's a great TV with very minimal input lag (I believe 16ms), however I'm looking to get a XIM Apex, which means K&M, which means essentially I'll be sitting closer to the TV/Monitor, so the TV I currently have will be way too big for me to quickly look around the screen and sit so close to, so I'll need something smaller.

So a few questions:

1. As I'm playing on a PS4, ultimately is there any need for me to go for a monitor? Is the best one to go for essentially 60hz with 1ms input lag? Do you all recommend going for a TV or a monitor or can I still play at a high competetive level on a TV?

2. What size TV/Monitor do you recommend? I've looked online and for FPS gaming the best size is 24 or 27 inch monitor. Is this correct?

3. In regards to the mouse, I've looked into quite a few YouTube videos and reviews on the internet, and a lot of people are saying to go for the Logitech G502 Hero. Is this one of the best? And why?

4. In terms of a Keyboard, I'm not too sure. A few websites and posts basically say with a keyboard a cheap or very expensive keyboard will do the job. So what do you lot recommend?

5. I'll need a gaming mouse pad right? A few Ive found are size 'XL' and are huge. So I'll look into this.

6. I recently bought a HyperX Cloud 2 headset. Please tell me these are compatible with the XIM APEX?

So, fortunetly I have a bit of expendable income to get these items. This is my budget for each item:

XIM APEX - 110.
Monitor - 120 max.
Mouse - 70 max.
Keyboard - Unsure, would not want to spend too much.. Maybe 50 max?
Mousepad - 10.

That's 360... Still a lot of money when we really think about it. So I do want to try to minimize that as much as I can whilst still getting a great experience.

Please help me with your knowledge!
   have you ever played on a monitor? don't make the same mistake I did,  I'm 51yo and bought a benQ [ made for consoles] , used it for 5 min. and havnt used it again. I just couldn't see as good on the monitor as my 55" Q8 which has free sync 14 ms input delay and the Xbox can run on 120hz although theres no games to support 120hz. maybe next year with the new consoles. lol