XIM Community

Installing a ssd in xbox one x  (Read 351 times)

Offline wnb

• above average.
    • View Profile
Installing a ssd in xbox one x
« on: 01:31 AM - 07/09/19 »
Hey if anybone has done this could u please tell me 1 what ssd should i get 2 is it worth soing (for pubg) 3 internal vs external . Cheers
Progress | Xbox One X | g502HERO | Logitech K200 | Sony Bravia kdl-32w670a |
OW | BFV | BO4 | DESTINY 2

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Installing a ssd in xbox one x
« Reply #1 on: 01:47 AM - 07/09/19 »
I had an SSD in my PS4, but pulled it out. The only difference is level load times, which makes zero difference in a game like PUBG where you need to wait for the lobby to fill.

An SSD is faster, but it's also much lower capacity. I went with a hybrid SSHD instead for fast load times and high capacity.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #2 on: 03:17 AM - 07/09/19 »
Hey if anybone has done this could u please tell me 1 what ssd should i get 2 is it worth soing (for pubg) 3 internal vs external . Cheers
I did it for PS4 and the Pro.

1) I installed a Samsung Evo 850 1TB in my PS4 a couple of years ago and a Crucial MX500 1TB in an external caddy for my Pro last year. Very happy with the performance of both.

2) If the cost is negligible to you then, yes, it's worth it. I would go with the Crucial if I were you as it's half the price of the Samsung with no noticeable difference in speed on console. Load times are significantly quicker, but that's pretty much the only benefit. I can't comment about PUBG as I don't play it.

3) Load times on the external drive are no different to those on the internal one. As external is practically Plug 'n Play and internal requires a lot of faffing about (you need a torx tool kit and have to download PS's OS if you're changing the internal drive - and installing it and your saves takes hours!), I'd go external every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro with 1TB Crucial MX500, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Fox McCloud

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Sir Fox McCloud
« Reply #3 on: 07:17 AM - 07/09/19 »

1) I have the Samsung T5 https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Portable-SSD-MU-PA500B/dp/B073GZBT36/ref=sxin_2_ac_d_pm?keywords=samsung+ssd+t5&pd_rd_i=B073GZBT36&pd_rd_r=8f74b81e-01a5-44ab-a88a-9155b2e055c5&pd_rd_w=gwIb0&pd_rd_wg=06Mel&pf_rd_p=64aaff2e-3b89-4fee-a107-2469ecbc5733&pf_rd_r=DBGYDZBMPGJPW7BQX2TC&qid=1562677817&s=gateway. It was beyond worthwhile for games like Destiny 2 and the Division 2. I often find myself annoyed that the location loaded too quick and I didn't have time for snack or bathroom break. I can sometimes get away with switching weapons mid match in Destiny 2 because the weapon screen loads twice as fast. Heck, farming the Managerie has been much more enjoyable because I could load my chalice so quickly.

2) As mentioned above in pvp lobbies (in which the beginning of the game is defined by the slowest load time out of the group) the SSHD won't make much difference here.

3) Also second the external route. If your OCD and despise clutter you might opt the internal route, but if you don't mind the 3.5" x 4" rectangle than save yourself the time and frustration and opt for external.
XIM APEX | XIM LINK | XBOX One S | Razer OrbWeaver (Razer Orange/Cherry Brown equivalent) | Logitech G502 (3.5K DPI & 1K Hz) | Asus 24" (VG245H) | Destiny 2

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12:53 AM - 07/12/19 »
Definitely worth getting an SSD. The load times can be almost twice faster depending on the game, though on average they are closer to 1/4 faster than standard HDD.

But for me just as important is the improvement in texture streaming, with an SSD you will no longer get those blurry soupy low quality textures that you have to stand there and wait 10 seconds before the high quality texture loads in. This is especially a big improvement for open world games where texture streaming is an issue.

Another improvement is in open world games when you enter a new area and you get hitching on an HDD. This is especially noticeable in Bethesda games but it's not an issue on an SSD. Also, games that have quick travel/teleporting/switching to a character in another location (GTAV) see a big improvement in load times.

As for PUBG, I played it a little on X1X before I got my SSD and after and I wouldn't even touch that game without an SSD. The asset loading on a standard HDD is ridiculous.

As for internal vs external. Digital Foundry have shown that there is a benefit to installing it internally over using it externally, so if you can go for it do it but it's not a big difference.
« Last Edit: 10:02 AM - 07/12/19 by Phil Ashio »
"MW ST1 users are an inferior species and an evolutionary abomination" - On the Origin of Species, Charles Darwin

Admin