XIM Community

what is the meaning of dead zone  (Read 327 times)

Offline ORI0749

• View Profile
what is the meaning of dead zone
« on: 02:12 PM - 06/27/19 »
I'm seeing a lot of taking abot dead zone, dead zone.
I want to know what it means in actual gameplay?

If you also have a video that shows it, it will be perfect

thank you very much!

Offline WarCat

• View Profile
Re: what is the meaning of dead zone
« Reply #1 on: 03:13 PM - 06/27/19 »
Think of deadzone as input that wont register anything (prevents stutter but can limit micro movements)

So if you pushed your joystick slightly to the left or right it wouldn't register anything until you pressed it past a certain point.
It is also similar to how you can slightly press down on L2 or R2 to fire a weapon on a controller and it wont do anything until it is pressed past a certain point. That is your deadzone.

With a mouse, if your deadzone in game was too high, your initial mouse movement would be ignored until you are moving it fast enough to register past the deadzone. You can try this out in Apex Legends with the Advanced Look Controls in game, leave everything else on default and play around with the deadzone slider to see what it does in game. (Training area of course! lol)

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 03:37 PM - 06/27/19 »
Analog sticks, steering wheels and joysticks all have a small range of movement around the centre position where movement doesn't register. This is to ensure that unintentional movement isn't passed through to a game when the device is stationary, which is what happens when a controller develops stick drift.

When the XIM team create Smart Translators, part of the job is to map the size and shape of the deadzone, then remove as much of it as possible. We don't want deadzone when using a mouse because it prevent micro-movements and negatively affects accuracy.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ORI0749

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:39 AM - 07/01/19 »
Think of deadzone as input that wont register anything (prevents stutter but can limit micro movements)

So if you pushed your joystick slightly to the left or right it wouldn't register anything until you pressed it past a certain point.
It is also similar to how you can slightly press down on L2 or R2 to fire a weapon on a controller and it wont do anything until it is pressed past a certain point. That is your deadzone.

With a mouse, if your deadzone in game was too high, your initial mouse movement would be ignored until you are moving it fast enough to register past the deadzone. You can try this out in Apex Legends with the Advanced Look Controls in game, leave everything else on default and play around with the deadzone slider to see what it does in game. (Training area of course! lol)

Analog sticks, steering wheels and joysticks all have a small range of movement around the centre position where movement doesn't register. This is to ensure that unintentional movement isn't passed through to a game when the device is stationary, which is what happens when a controller develops stick drift.

When the XIM team create Smart Translators, part of the job is to map the size and shape of the deadzone, then remove as much of it as possible. We don't want deadzone when using a mouse because it prevent micro-movements and negatively affects accuracy.

What I understand then is, that the Deadzone's role is to adjust the speed Move to the Stick movement which have much less movement space than a mouse, so that you do not have a situation where you move the player in a way that is not synchronized with the sensation of the moving Stick. and all of that is for it to be similar as possible to the movement sensation of the mouse with the player within the game. that's why you feel that the movements of a stick are hyperactive and inaccurate. And in addition to that, they are uneven when you try to aim at a certain point. Because if not for that, you would not be able to complete one shift from side to side properly due to lack of movement space in the Stick

And how do they do that? By preventing movement in micro areas in the middle of the stick movement space. and that what we call Deadzone

Am i right?

In that case what is the role of the movments speed (that you can rise it) in the game?
to make the areas that does move, to move more fast?
« Last Edit: 12:53 AM - 07/01/19 by ORI0749 »

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
« Reply #4 on: 01:16 AM - 07/03/19 »
Great explanation, Mohammad. Welcome to the community.

(My carpets are fine, thanks.)

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, Crucial MX500 1TB, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Gigabyte Aorus, Audio Technica AD700, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Intel Core i5 [email protected], Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX780, 16gb G-Skill [email protected], XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 3xSamsung Evo 500 SSD, WD 1TB HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend![/s]

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #5 on: 02:11 AM - 07/03/19 »
I've heard rolled carpets can be used to cover-up "dead zones", but the stains can be difficult to shift. More of a problem in Saudi Arabia than Dubai I suspect, but handy information nonetheless.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Dackgo

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: asd
  • PSN ID: asd
« Reply #6 on: 03:34 AM - 07/09/19 »
I don't know either.