XIM Community

Syncronization Question  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Kingownagexx

• Xbox Ambassador
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: King Ownage XV
Syncronization Question
« on: 09:06 AM - 06/20/19 »
Common sync is meant for 60fps, default is inbetween slow and common which is why its recommended if you don't know your games framerate.

Which syncronization should you use if you're playing a game like battlefield that runs at low 50 fps all the time? Or a game that hits 60 but keeps dropping a lot? Should I use default since it's not really 60fps? Or should I use common because it's not close to 30fps?

Also, as a PC player which one feels more like a PC experience? Having my sync off or having my sync match my games framerate?
XIM Apex - Xbox One X

Offline d1sable

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: YouTube_d1sable
Re: Syncronization Question
« Reply #1 on: 09:31 AM - 06/20/19 »
Default isn't between slow and common.

It goes

Off
Common
Slow

I would recommend default on all games, always feels the best to me.

Offline Kingownagexx

• Xbox Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09:37 AM - 06/20/19 »
I know it's not IN between or else the sensitivity adjustment would be somewhere between common and slow but it's not. But its in between as in it's not for 30 or 60, so I figured low 50's and high 40's it would probably be the superior option?

And why does default feel better to you?
XIM Apex - Xbox One X

Offline The prodigy

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10:21 AM - 06/20/19 »
This is what OBsIV posted back when the synchronization option just got released.

default sets Framerate-Sync to 120fps (this is equivalent to XIM4, default value)
common sets Framerate-Sync to 60fps
slow sets Framerate-Sync to 30fps
off sets Framerate-Sync to Immediate (this is what is used in all other XIM APEX firmwares)

Framerate-Sync is a hint to XIM APEX and doesn't have to match the actual framerate of the game (although you can now). Exposing this is a new concept for XIM as all versions prior to XIM APEX always used 120fps since it generally felt the best for all games. Whenever you change this value, you will need to adjust your Sensitivity.

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10:30 AM - 06/20/19 »
It's up to you as to what you want to run. It's your xim. Your playing on console so I'm not sure if the pc feel that everyone talks about is achievable or a placebo. In this situation the best thing to do is try all syncs. I choose to run my xim as a Xim 4 now. So my sync is default sync by default (No pun intended). However, when I run my xim like an apex I use common. I've tried all syncs and have learned to adjust them based on what I want to accomplish. Though from this point on i will likely only use default. I've decided that I'm no longer using any advanced settings other than SAB and ballistic curves. I've determined that the other options are useless to me at this point. The reason i feel that they're useless for me is because my mouse movements are really solid. As long as I have the right amount of mouse sensitivity my mouse control will do the work. I fooled myself over the years into believing that advanced settings were the reason for my success in competitive matches.
The Xim is not a magical tool that is going to make you a god. Time, effort and perseverance is what will take your gaming to the next level.

[Ps4] [Sony Nav] [T9 Gamepad] [Logitech G502 Proteus] [Dpi's: 12,000, 3200, 4000, 2400] [Syncs: Off and Common]

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10:41 AM - 06/20/19 »
XIM Aim reliability/fidelity will be better (feel more like PC) if your XIM operation is coordinate with the game's input.

Improvement over prior XIMs which lack of any setting to control this synchronization and lower response rate, in games were fps dropped or were unstable the aim performance wasn't consistent or up to par.

Default is more like: one size-to-fit-all, the practical-safe choice setting, work for most games doesn't need complex setup and its performance is similar to XIM4 (but with higher response rate).

That's why is recommended on the Thread about Battlefield V Settings.

Most triple A titles has very inconsistent fps, I use Digital Foundry as a reference they have tools to measure fps on consoles. Regular PS4 and XB1 are struggling with these games as expected due the end of this generation cycle.

OFF is the best you can get because is raw legit XIM APEX performance, helps specially to combat somethings like stubborn or janky aim assist, but requires quite of tweaking is for more experienced users.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:17 AM - 06/20/19 »
It's up to you as to what you want to run. It's your xim. Your playing on console so I'm not sure if the pc feel that everyone talks about is achievable or a placebo. In this situation the best thing to do is try all syncs. I choose to run my xim as a Xim 4 now. So my sync is default sync by default (No pun intended). However, when I run my xim like an apex I use common. I've tried all syncs and have learned to adjust them based on what I want to accomplish. Though from this point on i will likely only use default. I've decided that I'm no longer using any advanced settings other than SAB and ballistic curves. I've determined that the other options are useless to me at this point. The reason i feel that they're useless for me is because my mouse movements are really solid. As long as I have the right amount of mouse sensitivity my mouse control will do the work. I fooled myself over the years into believing that advanced settings were the reason for my success in competitive matches.

Yep, in a nutshell: you have to find what feels right with your dexterity, not-overthinking and stick with it.

The PC feel is achievable in some degree, this coming from someone who play on PC and XIM.

On my RX580 (PS4 Pro performance is "closer" to this GPU) I can play BFV on 1080p at solid 60fps, besides the turn limit and joystick translation limitations, one thing overlook or ignore is the input lag. On PC with V-Sync off you don't have it as much as on consoles or with V-Sync on.

I upgrade to a RTX2080 recently, play on 1080p at solid 120fps with very nice quality I can tell, my input response faster to the game.

And that's the thing with consoles we has been be locked to 60Hz with V-Sync, I hope that change with the next generation and adaptive-sync, doubt it though, that means that TV's should embrace this technology too, and Stadia push the gaming streaming... it seems very unlikely.

Offline Kingownagexx

• Xbox Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:48 AM - 06/20/19 »
Thank you for your insight. From what I can see, you should use the sync tied to your games framerate (unless you prefer the feel of one because preference is the most important factor) however if the framerate is inconsistent and you should just use default (like in Battlefield) that is what I've gathered. I'm not new to XIM, this is just something i've been wondering.
XIM Apex - Xbox One X

Offline GamingNerd

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02:01 PM - 06/20/19 »

Yep, in a nutshell: you have to find what feels right with your dexterity, not-overthinking and stick with it.

The PC feel is achievable in some degree, this coming from someone who play on PC and XIM.

On my RX580 (PS4 Pro performance is "closer" to this GPU) I can play BFV on 1080p at solid 60fps, besides the turn limit and joystick translation limitations, one thing overlook or ignore is the input lag. On PC with V-Sync off you don't have it as much as on consoles or with V-Sync on.

I upgrade to a RTX2080 recently, play on 1080p at solid 120fps with very nice quality I can tell, my input response faster to the game.

And that's the thing with consoles we has been be locked to 60Hz with V-Sync, I hope that change with the next generation and adaptive-sync, doubt it though, that means that TV's should embrace this technology too, and Stadia push the gaming streaming... it seems very unlikely.
i agree, and this is what I was trying to get our friends to understand about polling rates on the other topic. We are capped so heavily on console that even though mice won't poll at 1000 Hz consistently it is still beneficial due to the lack of fps on console.

I do know of a game that gives you the option to turn v-Sync off. I most definitely use that option because it eliminates input delay completely at the expense of refined graphics. More games should incorporate the option to turn v-Sync on and off. It makes the pace of the gameplay faster and smoother. I'm hoping that the next gen consoles can live up to the hype. I want a complete device with no bugs on release. I also want ps5 titles ready to go on release as well. When I bought my ps4 I didn't play it for a few months because there weren't many games on release.
The Xim is not a magical tool that is going to make you a god. Time, effort and perseverance is what will take your gaming to the next level.

[Ps4] [Sony Nav] [T9 Gamepad] [Logitech G502 Proteus] [Dpi's: 12,000, 3200, 4000, 2400] [Syncs: Off and Common]

Offline Kingownagexx

• Xbox Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07:55 PM - 06/20/19 »
This post has nothing to do with polling rate it was never mentioned. Please keep those comments under the other XIM forum post I made this one is about syncronization.
XIM Apex - Xbox One X

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #10 on: 08:13 PM - 06/20/19 »
To clarify, Default is 120FPS / Hz (as mentioned above).

Sync > Off uses whatever Response Rate has been set (125, 250, 500 or 1000Hz). That's why Off can cause jitter, but it can also help with the aim assist bubble.

Official Australian distributor for
XIM NEXUS, XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08:44 PM - 06/20/19 »
Thank you for your insight. From what I can see, you should use the sync tied to your games framerate (unless you prefer the feel of one because preference is the most important factor) however if the framerate is inconsistent and you should just use default (like in Battlefield) that is what I've gathered. I'm not new to XIM, this is just something i've been wondering.
I think it will be nice for XIM Team or the community if we start to collect info about the games and its Framerates on specific consoles, just for reference.

What I suggest is check Digital Foundry.

Admin