XIM Community

my two gripes with XIM Apex  (Read 240 times)

Offline TheFleshIsDead

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: None
  • PSN ID: None
my two gripes with XIM Apex
« on: 10:03 AM - 06/01/19 »
The app isnt intuitive enough, it could be better, a lot better. It needs to be modelled on something like Windows or at least conform to Android and iOS dev standards. Ideally each game could be modelled on its PC variant which brings me to my next problem, the default keybinds are not similar to the games PC variant eg overwatch with the ultimate being number 1 when its Q on PC.

Offline b00st_g0d

• View Profile
Re: my two gripes with XIM Apex
« Reply #1 on: 10:20 AM - 06/01/19 »
But it's not PC.
It's and adapter to bring mouse and keyboard functionality to console not even to mention the usefulness for handicapped persons to be able to use other devices for each use case.
As far as the app, there's not much else I would want. Division of settings for Look/ADS;check, control map to X;check, options to add additional binds and alternative settings; check.  It's straight forward and easily modified at a glance even while in game.

I get what you're saying but you're asking them to bend the device to meet PC players every whim and that cannot happen with JUST the Xim. There are only so many buttons on a controller that they can map to.

I suggest you look into additional hardware such as the Titan Two, guys on here have used that in combination with the Apex to make some very creative additional binds and even scripts to allow for one button binding to do multiple things.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 10:26 AM - 06/01/19 »
Thanks for your feedback. The intention behind the design of the app is to be a single experience that is identical between all the platforms. Can you be more specific about it not confirming to standards?
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline TheFleshIsDead

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: None
  • PSN ID: None
« Reply #3 on: 09:15 PM - 06/01/19 »
Microsoft, Apple and Google each have guidelines for devs to keep GUIs similar across different apps, I only know this from my short studying of software engineering but I'm not a dev. So for example in windos the X is always top right and on Mac top left. Different platforms always have different gestures. These guidelines are only to keep all apps similar in look and functionally across the OS and are recommended especially to indie devs.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 11:14 AM - 06/02/19 »
Understood, but, things are different now -- that is a single app won't be always be designed specifically to preserve the "feel" of a particular OS. There are many reasons for this such as using cross-platform UI frameworks and wanting a single experience for documentation/learning materials to reduce development costs. You can see this today with major apps like Spotify and Netflix choosing a single design and experience across platforms.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.