XIM Community

Suggestion: Automatically convert Sensitivity when you change Sync  (Read 326 times)

Offline FatalFox

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: ttv_IBeatsIX
A small addition to Xim Apex that will benefit new and old users.

Convertion Table:
Code: [Select]
Default > Off: x8 | Common: ÷2 | Slow: ÷4
Common > Off: x16 | Default: x2 | Slow: ÷2
Slow > Off: x32 | Default: x4 | Common: x2
Off > Default: ÷8 | Common: ÷16 | Slow: ÷32
« Last Edit: 09:20 PM - 05/28/19 by FatalFox »

Offline WarCat

• View Profile
I agree this could be beneficial! There is two different ways to do this though

1. Automatically adjust based off current sensitivity and do not show the resulting value.
Example: The user finds their preferred sensitivity of  10 with default sync. Later on the user changes their sync to common, the app automatically calculates the sensitivity without showing the user that they are now using 5. My concern with this approach is less granular control over your sensitivity. You would remove the ability to have a common sens of 5.3 as an example.

2. Automatically adjust based off current sensitivity and show the user the calculated sensitivity. User maintains ability to further refine from there, this would be preferred in my opinion.

For the programming side,

Would need to declare variables for current sync and updated sync. Im sure there is a better way than physically coding every possibility, maybe a lookup table would suffice? Either way, it could save the user some time. I barely change my sync, as I don't want to take from my muscle memory in any way, but it would be a neat QoL feature.

Offline WarCat

• View Profile
Really wish they would explain how sync effects your mouse movements.. If I understood what effect it had on my movements I'd be able to choose a sync setting alot easier. Synchronization is way too confusing when you dont explain the effect it has on movement..

It syncs the apex with framerate.. okay. Well how does that effect my movements

Sync is discussed during this tutorial about aim assist: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o7yvB4a0YVU

If I remember correctly it deals with the refresh rate syncing with the games refresh rate, if aim assist wasn’t a factor then everyone would likely use the one that matched their game, but people use different syncs either to cut through AA (off or default sync) or to increase AA (Common or slow sync)

Offline WarCat

• View Profile
In regards to aim, this is what I can tell from my experience: Off or default sync is better for micro control over your aim and it is typically paired with a higher DPI while common or slow sync provides less micro control but better AA or more "magnetic" aim, but with all magnets, they can attract and repel. Sometimes it is best to combine common or slow sync with a ballistic curve, steady aim, or boost to counter the negative effects of AA because there is no worse feeling than being stuck just outside the hitbox.

On top of that, everyone is using different equipment which may cause different behavior. Off sync with 12k DPI may be the perfect config for one person while it may feel horrible for someone else. This hidden variable here could be that one person is a wrist aimer while the other is an arm aimer, or perhaps one is using a cloth mousepad while the other uses a hardpad.

In essence, go with what feels right to you and do not constantly change your settings just because someone else with high stats posts their config, chances are they have built muscle memory around a similar setup or they have been using that setup for a long time. Those who constantly chase the "next best settings" will only hurt their muscle memory and wonder why they are not performing as well as the person who posted their settings. I used to be that person, changing my mindset on that has done wonders for me. 

When a new game comes out, try to match your sensitivities across the games, (it will be impossible to do this 100% as look mechanics will be different, turn speed caps, etc) but getting close will instantly give you a head start on building muscle memory. Measure your cm/360 on your current game and start there as a base. This is what I did so I could play Apex Legends on both PC and PS4 with similar control.

On a sidenote, perhaps we could benefit from a dedicated video on synchronization. If you don't get a response here I would recommend leaving a comment on the XIM Gameplay YouTube channel or becoming a member of it and joining that discord, there is a lot of good conversation there, future video topics being one of them.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
This has been suggested and rejected numerous times. Part of the problem is it isn't a straight conversion, there will be some fine-tuning required to match the sensitivity.

I believe there was another more technical reason as to why this wasn't implemented, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Regardless, I do agree that Sens should scale automatically with Sync.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline FatalFox

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: ttv_IBeatsIX
ahh ok, what about something like a read-only textbox that converts based sens and sync?

example:

Or an information button that opens a box with the conversion table less technical:

« Last Edit: 09:16 PM - 05/29/19 by FatalFox »

Offline desolatehunter

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Desolate Hunter
I'm bad with math and lazy but I would love to try these conversions. Or could there be a calculator that you plug in your settings and it offers a close suggestion.