XIM Community

Livingroom TVs and what PC...?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Salad

• View Profile
Livingroom TVs and what PC...?
« on: 10:57 PM - 01/24/08 »
Ok so I do not have an XIM yet buy will be buying one very soon! My friends talked me into buying a 360 to play Halo3 for 2 hours one day a week  ::) Yeah stupid. I haven't played console games for almost 7 years since I tried Counterstrike Beta 3 back in the day. Now I'm hooked on COD4 (PC). Needless to say I had to hook up a MK setup to the 360 so I got the XFPS and SJF. Even this setup witch many say is great I find totally sub par compared to the responsiveness of FPS on PCs. ANYWAY!!

I play the 360 in a room w/o a PC on a 42" TV. I want to keep it there because I use the 360 for movies and stuff as well. I guess I'm asking what are my options for PCs. Small compact and quiet (anything will be quieter than the 360 though). All the PC has to do is run the XIM software right? I also should be asking if I'm thinking about how all this gets hooked up.

KB & M into PC > PC out to XIM (via USB) > XIM to XFPS > XFPS to xBox360... Right?

So small laptop? Seems like the cheapest. Any other suggestions?
~Salad~

Offline end_user

• View Profile
Re: Livingroom TVs and what PC...?
« Reply #1 on: 07:46 AM - 01/25/08 »
Yep, just get an old laptop.  there's always http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites.html ... i always see old P3 rigs goin for dirt cheap here in the Boston area.

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:58 AM - 01/25/08 »
i am currently using an old ahtlonxp 2100+ with 512 ram and a generic pci vid card, it was my baby at one time, now it is perfect for xim.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Sick_Tight

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12:09 PM - 01/25/08 »
Or if you don't like used just log on to NewEgg and order some older parts and build one. I think im going to do that. Something small that just Runs XIM. . . Couldn't cost much i'd say 500-700 tops and that even pushing it. . .
żDo You iPwn??
Ohh? Cause I Do!!!

Offline Salad

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02:00 PM - 01/27/08 »
Spending 500+ just to run an XIM is insane! And for that I'd just buy a used Mac Mini and put XP on it. I do have an older mid tower PC that I could get back up and running but the size is what I hate about it. That would be my cheapest option but not tiny at all.
~Salad~

Offline hemlawk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09:35 PM - 01/27/08 »
I have a 30" Insignia 1080i tv in my livingroom, and Im using a XPS M1710 laptop. I have to put my lappy on the coffee table and play sitting on the floor. It sucks but its what I have to do in order to use the XIM.

I would have liked to just get COD4 for my pc, but all my friends play xbox, non of them are pc gamers :/

Offline end_user

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11:05 PM - 01/27/08 »
Or if you don't like used just log on to NewEgg and order some older parts and build one. I think im going to do that. Something small that just Runs XIM. . . Couldn't cost much i'd say 500-700 tops and that even pushing it. . .

even cheaper: http://paulstamatiou.com/2008/01/25/diy-200-dollar-pc

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11:01 AM - 01/28/08 »
ya, I use a hamster wheel to power a small abacus to power the XIM, seems to work so far, except I have to oil that @#$% wheel....
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.