XIM Community

Red Rings of Death DIY fix  (Read 8541 times)

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Re: Red Rings of Death DIY fix
« Reply #15 on: 05:15 PM - 09/29/08 »
The last xbox I got back was a supposivly brand new xbox replacement. Yet when I opened it up earlier this afternoon it had stickers from 2005 all over the mobo and dvd drive. Thats microsoft for you.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline nickstudy

• MVP
  • Xim360 Tester. All Hail Xim360!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12:09 PM - 10/01/08 »
Yep. Lucily when my elite RRODed on me, it was only 2 months after they came out so I knew I would be getting back something new. Ubernoober got RROD'd this weekend which sux cuz I miss playing with him.
Happy Xim360 tester (former)

Gamertag ii TR00F ii
That's 2 i's a space a TR then 2 zero's an F then a space then 2 more i's.

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04:16 PM - 10/01/08 »
Yep. Lucily when my elite RRODed on me, it was only 2 months after they came out so I knew I would be getting back something new. Ubernoober got RROD'd this weekend which sux cuz I miss playing with him.

Awwww...I miss you too. 

But, I've found some new friends in the PC version of COD 2 in some modded TDM server.  AHG or some clan?  I forget what it is.  Some custom maps, red dot for crosshair.  I get like a 35ms ping to it so I'm able to go in there and get called a hacker in a pretty short amount of time.  Lucky for me, some of the admins specced me and are good guys and could easily tell that I wasn't hacking in any way.  So, I'll probably be playing more COD 2 and possibly some COD 4 for PC until I get my 360 back.  Kinda lame...but...still fills my game time .

Offline x7rEmE

• Lifes A Struggle
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09:05 PM - 12/14/08 »
Looks pretty promising, but I've never had a RROD but if i do i may try this hehe, but i don't want to have a rrod at the same time either.
XIM3 Supporter

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07:01 PM - 12/16/08 »
I bought another 360 becuase this mod failed me. it worked for at least a month, after that the screws loosened and I had to retighten them. After re tightening them I still got the rings so I bought another 360. It could have been the type of paste i used, i used artic silver and another off brand. I did not mix paste, I used one brand on the cpu and another on the gpu. I doubt it though I did the application flawlessly. Anyway good luck to everyone else trying this and let us know if it lasts longer than 1 month.

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11:32 AM - 12/19/08 »
It's got nothing to do with the heat and everything to do with how it was assembled and what they used to assemble the boards. Not the heatsinks, thermal grease, overall temperature itself. You could run one with the entire board at sub zero temp and it will still fail just as fast.
Trade them at Walmart monthly to avoid a problem. If you cant do that, swap them at walmart. If you are hell-bent on keeping a single 360 until it dies. Use proper spacers and lock nuts to keep the correct amount of torque on the board. Beyond that the solder joints are STILL going to fail on the GPU or ramdac in short order. If not those the CPU. All you can do is prolong it. There is no actual fix for it. You can overheat it as many times or asmany different ways as you want. Same end conclusion.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 03:46 PM - 12/22/08 »
I would have swapped motherboards at wallmart with a new 360 but my old console does not have an hdmi port so it would not fit in the new case. I thought about using half of my old consoles case but I chewed it up pretty good when I disassembled it.

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08:16 PM - 01/01/09 »
Shoulda done it anyway.

I swear to GOD I took a little cousin of mine into a ripoff EB Games/Gamestop one time and some guy came in with an RROD box. Yelled at the cashier and tossed it across the store - shattered into several pieces. My little cousin gave him $15 for it. Superglued what was left of the case back together (the faceplace was 100% trashed, the large chunks of the backside of the case were busted out).

His dad took it back to walmart saying he was in the amry, blah blah blah it got broken blah blah blah talked to the manager for 20 minutes . They gave him full cash back - no reciept, had maybe half xbox cables half BS random cables.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline ideez

• uzi does it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08:27 AM - 12/13/09 »
the music in that video is beyond happy.  He can't even flow right, and the beats are like what my cat throws up.
Windows 7 64bit| Samsung 2333 monitor | Logitech G15 keyboard | MX518 | GT--> gsyxx

Offline Buttcheddar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08:47 PM - 12/13/09 »
Actually there is a pernament fix. The Best fix I do for people is using Team Hybrids X-clamp method. (google it) Basically when microsoft makes the metal chasis for the case 2 stand offs for the screws are 1mm too high. Basically you have 2 tall stands that are 4mm high and the rest that are 3 mm high. Because the distances are not level, The board warps in a concave way toward the metal chasis, due to heat exposure. What their fix does,is making all the standoffs equal in height, so the board wont warp. That means making verything 3mm tall(you sand them down). I have done this to many other xbox's It basically fixes (RROD, E74 etc.)everything once you apply the fix and heatgun the board.
It's actually pretty comfortable.....
Love,
Buttcheddar :)

Offline pharrowboy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02:10 PM - 12/14/09 »
i baked mine in the oven, a month ago. been working ever since
heres the guide i followed:
http://forums.llamma.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=27431&sid=7e10f94068db3f71af22de5a7bb97877

Offline Buttcheddar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11:46 PM - 12/25/09 »
If you have secondary error code 0110 for RROD you can fix your xbox 360 with a blowtorch. Just blowtorch your GPU heatsink for 1 minute. Worked on mine and I have been happy for almost half a year now.
It's actually pretty comfortable.....
Love,
Buttcheddar :)

Offline Ub3rn00ber

• MVP
  • I will punish you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03:13 PM - 12/29/09 »
blowtorch hell.  Just use a flamethrower.  I recommend it for all electrical equipment, working or not. 

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03:18 PM - 12/29/09 »
Fill a super soaker with gasoline, flip the pump handle upside down and put a strike anywhere match in one of the screw holes. Pump it up. Light the match and get to business.

I never had access to a zippo lighter as a kid but I think that would work better..

Offline zariaman

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 10:11 AM - 02/18/10 »
Its funny I am reading this post now.  I got the three RRD just two night ago.  I had set aside a couple of hours to play and I was so disappointed.  I checked everything, cables, power supply. I got my xbox the first week it was out, I knew I had no warranty on it and I was ready to buy a new one.

I googled RRD and came upon the xbox towel trick.  While I was grabbing some food and getting ready to go get a new xbox I wrapped up my xbox with a towel and turned it on.  I even put it on the radiator to get it even hotter.  I thought it was the most stupidest thing I ever did; it got SO hot, I could have burnt my house down. 
You are suppose to wait for 15 mins after your do this to let the box cool down but I just bounced it, with the fans going full tilt I got green lights, it worked fine, played all last night.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/15/towel-trick-provides-temporary-fix-to-xbox-360s-red-ring-of-d/