XIM Community

Translation exponent option  (Read 3498 times)

Offline choosenone

• View Profile
Translation exponent option
« on: 07:12 AM - 12/23/08 »
What is a translation exponent option, and how does it work?

Offline toysrme

• 14 National Championships
  • MVP
  • FannyPAX, best avatar EVAAAR!
    • View Profile
Re: Translation exponent option
« Reply #1 on: 05:29 PM - 12/23/08 »
The in-game programming takes the joystick output (which is linear) and translates it beyond linear. This means for a given throw the joystick will tend to be slower around the center and ramp up to 100% faster the farther you move away from center. This gives you finer control near center (by requiring larger movements for the same throw) while the throw at the outer limits is still limited to 100%.
That's alot of confusing (if you dont read it carefully) words that describe this simple picture:

Both top out at 100%
Exponential deadens the throw around center.
(It can also do the opposite, but that's not found often in regards to joysticks.)

The exponential settings tries to mimic that output so that when you sweep your mouse, the input is nice and even.

Same thing in R/C aircraft. You get yourself a very hot full 3D plane and it's so hot you have trouble with regular flying. You use exponential to tame the beast around center sticks.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline rtmoose

• MVP
  • yea... its how those frenchies used to say my name
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11:10 AM - 02/11/10 »
nice answer but you dont offer any examples of application..

how does the actual value affect the feel of ingame acceleration?

what value shoudl we set it to if we want a straight linear throw?

i want my mouse crosshairs to move the same distance no matter what speed i move my mouse.

thanks
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to write this, my husband Technogiant as gone out of the room, can you send him this xbox thing quickly he's driving me up the wall. thanks

i5-2500k - p8p67 rev3 - radeon HD6850 - 8GB corsair ram @ 1600mhz - WD caviar Black SATA III

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
  • Gamertag: Donskii HD
« Reply #3 on: 01:04 PM - 02/11/10 »
The in-game programming takes the joystick output (which is linear) and translates it beyond linear. This means for a given throw the joystick will tend to be slower around the center and ramp up to 100% faster the farther you move away from center. This gives you finer control near center (by requiring larger movements for the same throw) while the throw at the outer limits is still limited to 100%.
That's alot of confusing (if you dont read it carefully) words that describe this simple picture:

Both top out at 100%
Exponential deadens the throw around center.
(It can also do the opposite, but that's not found often in regards to joysticks.)

The exponential settings tries to mimic that output so that when you sweep your mouse, the input is nice and even.

Same thing in R/C aircraft. You get yourself a very hot full 3D plane and it's so hot you have trouble with regular flying. You use exponential to tame the beast around center sticks.

you are a human encyclopedia.  did you draw that graph yourself?
Proud owner of a XIM3

Youtube.com/d0nskiii     Xfire: Galvaniz3d     Xbox: Donskii HD, vIIv Don

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline rtmoose

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01:15 PM - 02/11/10 »
aww cMON..

heellllpppp!!
Hi, I don't know if this is the right place to write this, my husband Technogiant as gone out of the room, can you send him this xbox thing quickly he's driving me up the wall. thanks

i5-2500k - p8p67 rev3 - radeon HD6850 - 8GB corsair ram @ 1600mhz - WD caviar Black SATA III

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: 01:31 PM - 02/11/10 »
aww cMON..

heellllpppp!!

TRANSLATION EXPONENT. Perhaps the mothership of settings and a CRITICAL part of setting correctly. Basically, getting this setting right can make or break a config. Even with a slightly larger deadzone that's got some jump to it, if your translation is screwy your game will be too.

What does it do? It combats the evil power known as "look acceleration" that developers put in games that assists gamers using thumbsticks to be able to aim easier by slowly accelerating and speeding up. This makes tracking easier if you are using a controller.

But guess what? YOU ARE USING A XIM 360 and you don't want none of that!

Translation exponent is a sort of offset that fights the acceleration and smooths out your mouse movements so you don't feel the acceleration as much or if at all. Much debate on this hot hot hot item and you too, will realize the importance of it.

Not sure what to put in? I seem to have a magic number of about .35 here. You can start out with this and then tweak it later after you assign your keys and get all your settings plugged in to test.

- NEW 02-24-09 The closer you get to 1.0 the closer you get to a 1:1 movement. You can try .35 as a starting point and boost it up. Lately I have tried going from .75 (what ships default with Xim360) and going down from there. Gears of War 2 seems to respond better to a .75 translation rather than a .35, but other games are reverse in my opinion of course.

Taken from: http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=1069.0

If you had read http://xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=1796.0, you would have found all the information you need about the Translation exponent.  Ironically, the article is titled, "READ ME FIRST BEFORE POSTING."
Proud owner of a XIM3

My Setup:
Mionix Naos 5000     Razer Lycosa     24" ASUS 1080p 5ms     PureTrak Talent     Black Magic Intensity Shuttle     250GB Xbox 360 Slim

Intel i7 930     6GB 1600Mhz RAM     2x 2TB Seagate 7200 RPM HDDs in RAID0     128GB Crucial SATA III SD     2 ASUS EAH6850s (Crossfire)     EVGA x58 FTW3

Offline rtmoose

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01:46 PM - 02/11/10 »
i did read that article.. i posted because it all seems to apply to a xim360.. whereas im using a xim1 on ps3.. and it only talked about how the exponent tries to counter the accel effect, but doesnt give examples of values..

from your answer it seems that if i want a straight linear movement with NO accel i want to go with a exponent of 1.0..

is that correct?

Offline toysrme

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:14 PM - 02/11/10 »
Also xim1 & xim2's  TL's are reversed. .25 on xim2 = .75 on xim1.
Somebody didn't read the rules before posting. You need a post count of 100 500 to talk directly to toys.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%

Offline rtmoose

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03:15 PM - 02/11/10 »
ok can someone confirm.. if i want no accel to go with a TL exp of 1.0?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:12 PM - 02/11/10 »
Every game engine is different. That's why the TE is adjustable, and not set and locked to 1. Expect to use a different TE in each game.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline Don

• MVP
  • Northern California
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #10 on: 12:04 AM - 02/12/10 »
Every game engine is different. That's why the TE is adjustable, and not set and locked to 1. Expect to use a different TE in each game.

Yup, just experiment with different values until you find something that you are comfortable with. 
Proud owner of a XIM3

My Setup:

Offline toysrme

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03:15 PM - 02/12/10 »
25-40% exponential on joystick controls is common from R/C programmable radios to video game joysticks.
XIM Induced RAGE Video

^Global Win Rate = 46%