XIM Community

Tutorial: Add a button to the Playstation Move Navigational controller  (Read 8729 times)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
This tutorial shows how to add an additional Button to the Playstation move. You can easily assign the trigger Button as I did the shoulder button for you middle finger. I did this as I am a left hand ADS and shooter and I need to hit those two simultaneously, impossible on the Move controller without modding it or having the hand really uncomfortable.
This mod is really easy but there is a soldering that is quite fine and you need a good and clean soldering iron and no shaky hands for this.

Stuff you need:
Soldering iron 15W not much more
soldering tin
Dremel or something to drill
wire
Hotglue
Button for example this although there might be room for something larger and more comfy. If you find something please post it!

http://de.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=N5Jky1br14MyUlxGEX2zSw==

The only button of this kind I got was 9mm, that is a bit too high. I recommend 7mm. I dremeled mine down to 7mm, I had no choice even if it doesn't look perfect.

Step 1: Open it

Remove the four screws and gently open the device and pull out the blue wire ribbon. There is a reset knob that will fall out if you turn it be sure not to forget to put that back when putting it back together.

Step 2: Drill a hole for the button and fix it

Mark where your finger tip would like to have the button but don't go too far down or you will have room problems because of the battery. Drill the hole large enough for the button head to move freely. Scratch the inside surface so the hotglue is holding better. You can epoxy this but hotglue will just be fine. Attach two wires at opposing arms of the button. If there is a grounding arm you can cut it. My hotglue pistol sucks you should be able to do that better and the dremeled knob is unsexy but 9mm was simply too long and I wont order a mouser one for 20 euro postage.

Step 3: Wire the Button to the Move

This is the tricky part. It is where you pulled out the blue ribbon at the base of the connector. On the picture it looks huge in reality its quite small so be sure your soldering iron is hot and clean. For the Trigger solder the wires to pin 2 to 4 (from the left ) and for the shoulder button 2 to 6. I chose the shoulder button. Solder the button wires there. I normally don't glue contacts but this one i did.

Step 4: Put it back together

Donīt forget the reset knob and be sure to test before. Done

Crusade atm: none

Offline MrFresh

• Vigilo Confido
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: MrFresh KC
Would you be able to remap the X and O button doing this mod?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
I think so, yes but for that you must remove the plate holding the thumbstick and the buttons and look for the contacts of that button. The problem is really the stick is not anatomically formed for the hand. Adding any button makes it really unstable in the hand when pulling of keycombos. Therefore I don't like the move.

This always works if you cant find any other soldering points and the button still works

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVY-VYLoegs
« Last Edit: 11:48 AM - 01/17/11 by roads »

Offline Od1n

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
nice tutorial and really helpfull

did you take those pics on your own?

btw i got a question:
the glue you used to fix the button on the plastic, how long will it last?
i can see it getting weaker after a few hard presses
the surface of the inner plastic is quite flat (even if you raffled it a bit as you can see), no real contact point for the glue imo
PS4 & X1 | C: MS | XIM4 | FW: the latest ofc! :) | Mon: BenQ XL2420Z | Pad: Zowie G-SR | KB: Ducky DK1008L Cherry Red O-Rings| A: AKG K701 Creative X7 Antlion Modmic | M: Zowie EC1-A | D: 3200 | P: 1000hz | BF4 4 HIP: 35 ADS: 20

My Fortnite Creator Code: beamimpact
Check out my Youtube Channel: XIMGameplay

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
The first opened pic and the button are not from me the others are. It’s a Casio Exilim FC-100 awesome pocketcam and macro mode is nice also. Yes I reffled the pastic and its hotglued, its quite rock hard. If you press that button that hard you need epoxy from your local conrad but I dont really think its necessary. I use this hotglue, btw the inventors of hotglue, Ahh yeah the Germans again. :D

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000UXBMZ4/ref=s9_simh_gw_p60_d6_i1?pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=14VWKH3QP3T7EEGFS95W&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=463375193&pf_rd_i=301128

Offline matttehman

• View Profile
I agree with the shape of the nav being poor. My hand will cramp after awhile of using it, and I feel like I either have a death drip on it, or am holding it too loosely. It either sits in my lap sideways, or awkwardly with the base of the usb cord standing straight up.

I am interested in doing a mod like this for a melee attack. I have Melee set to scroll forward and I have not yet trained myself to use it in a regular game. I have played wager matches where I knifed 3 people in a very short period, all trying to knife each other. So I do not think that the scroll forward is a bad idea, it obviously works, I just have not trained myself to "panic-press" it yet. 0_o
Xbone FTW
~Owner of every XIM

Offline Lurkin374

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: lurkin374
IMO the melee should be a button where you dont have to take your finger off the trigger. i have found the mouse back button works well for this.

with this mod you are just adding a 2nd button to the trigger? not a extra button all together?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yes I add a button but not a command.

Offline onelivewire

• View Profile
So if you wanted to set the extra button to down on the d-pad, you'd use the contact point 4th from the left and then for the other either 5th or 6th?

Offline Fuzzy_Wumpus

• View Profile
Is there room to put a 2nd button?  So to have 1 for the middle finger and the ring finger?

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yes but be careful the thing gets really unstable in your hand even with one button.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
Really useful mod to be able to add another button.....and it's one that looks easy enough for someone inexperienced ( but ancient ) like me to have a go at  :)

The thing is Roads, i'm comfortable using the shoulder and trigger on the Nav but i'd really like to be able to use an extra button connected to the recessed button with the Playstation logo..... it's far too akward to use.
So while I think I could manage to do the mod, because you have shown which contacts to solder to the switch if I used the trigger or shoulder,  any hints on how to find the contacts for the button i'd like to use?

I've just started trying the Nav after my Belkin N52te started to act up and i'm trying to pluck up the courage to attempt your cherry red mod for the Belkin.......appreciate all your tutorials 8)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Your welcome, you have to try the contacts by connecting them to find what they do I am sorry I cant test this for you, dont have the NAv anymore. Be aware that you loose a lot of stability if you add another button. Just saying.

The cherry mod takes up a lot of time but with good equipment its quite easy.

Offline amak1

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Wa2En5emble
nice roads
Ice... 15ml lime cordial... 1 dash angostura bitters... 2 oz 100% agave tequila... top off with sprite or 7 up

Offline CJS247365

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: CJS247365
Do you have another link to your mod?  Some on the pics would not come up.