XIM Community

[ACTIVE] Keyboard loses power after a short time of use through XIM  (Read 995 times)

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Is there a firmware update for XIM which may fix this issue?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Which firmware is installed on the Ctrl?

I use QMK on Ergodox and it works fine with XIM APEX and XIM 4.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Itís the default firmware that it came with
I did not install any custom one.

I am not sure how to check the firmware installed

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
My apologies for asking again, but can someone confirm if massdrop CTRL TKL keyboard working with XIM I have tried it with usb powered hub and XIM powered hub and itís seems to not work

It starts and then stops working

Please let me know before I return this if anyone has gotten this keyboard to work?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
As you are using the firmware that came with the device, I highly advise upgrading to our latest here: http://xim.tech/latest

Our latest has hardware compatibility improvements that may help with compatibility with your device.
Get the most out of your XIM APEX, read the XIM APEX Support FAQ.

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Good Day Obsiv,
I am using the latest firmware, i a, om 5.00.20200307 and I have tested it with Logitech G915 TKL, along with MK Disco, along with Drevo Blademaster Pro, and they all seem to work fine.

Its the MassDrop TKL which does not work at all and the headline of the message it does exactly shuts off after 30 seconds.

I will be sending this keyboard back :(

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I'm sorry to hear that. I've added the keyboard to the hardware list as not compatible so that others know before making a purchase.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Thanks Mist4fun, so this means this keyboard will never be supported by XIM?

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I don't know that if APEX will continue to receive hardware support but I'll look into it.

Try using the keyboard in a PC's BIOS. If the keyboard does not respond then it may need special drivers or software.

Out of curiosity, how many amps does your splitter provide? There's a chance it may not be enough or the splitter is doing something odd with power.

Another real possibility is that your keyboard is trying to load a complex lighting profile. These usually crash keyboards when they are ran from onboard memory. I think that you mentioned disabling lighting but if you haven't yet I think it's worth it remove the default lighting profile that's saved to onboard memory. If it's possible.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
It should work as is. If not, I'd be thinking it's power-related. That or the USB cable from the controller to XIM APEX. I use a 12V USB 3.0 hub on my setup these days, which is worth keeping in mind if the power adapter on the XIM APEX USB hub isn't enough.

CTRL uses the same QMK firmware as Ergodox EZ and that kb definitely works on XIM APEX. Check to see if there's a QMK firmware update available for CTRL.

This might help (or might not...) - https://drop.com/talk/9382/how-to-configure-your-ctrl-keyboard

Here's my kb layout for Ergodox EZ, so you can see that very complex kb layouts can be used with a XIM (mine has 7 layers, gaming is Layer 3) - https://configure.ergodox-ez.com/ergodox-ez/layouts/MdRb/latest/3. Layers, keyboard, mouse and dual-function buttons all work on XIM APEX.
« Last Edit: 06:16 PM - 06/29/20 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Thank you both I will try what you have suggested.
Can you please share the model of the usb hub with 12v power and also how did you set up the XIM apex with a usb hub?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
You can add a 5V power adapter direct to the APEX USB hub. Here are the specs - 5V 3A power adapter  ([3.5mm x 1.35mm], center-positive). Make sure it meets these exact specs, an adjustable power adapter is not recommended.

If all you're running is a mouse, fully-charged controller and a standard keyboard (kb has one USB cable), this should be enough.

It is possible to add more devices to XIM APEX (I run 5 or 6), in which case 5V may be insufficient.

I recently recommended this USB hub to other XIM users and it apparently works fine -
https://www.amazon.com/Vantec-Aluminum-Mountable-Charging-UGT-AH710U3-BK/dp/B07NX1NKXV/

This should also work -
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-7-Port-Power-Adapter/dp/B076YPRTKF/

If needed, you can daisy-chain USB hubs with a XIM. In this case, leave the controller attached to the XIM APEX USB hub, then attach the powered USB hub to a XIM APEX USB hub port and attach m&kb to that.

But...try alternative USB cables before you spend any money. Most keyboards don't need additional power on the XIM, but it won't hurt to add a power adapter to your XIM APEX USB hub even if the CTRL kb still fails to work, so it's a worthwhile purchase regardless.

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Thanks again, the adaptor which is powering the xim hub currently is a 5V which you get from amazon.
I am very interested in using the 3.0 USB hub, but for a long time I am not able to use that as daisy chaining them with xim hub never worked for me.

if i understand you correctly.

leave the ps4 controller on the xim hub.

connect usb mouse & keyboard to the usb 3.0 hub

use the cable from usb 3.0 hub and insert in the slot with two dots on the xim hub

plug xim into ps4.

Please confirm if this is correct ?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
You shouldn't need the XIM APEX USB hub at all, a powered USB hub should easily replace it.

One forum member reported that they needed to daisy-chain with their powered USB hub, which is why I mentioned it.

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Thanks I have just added the Anker USB 3.0 hub and at the moment i am testing it with Ducky 1 key board and logitech g502 and all seems to work.

I will test it with CTRL and will let you know.

Admin