XIM Community

[ACTIVE] Keyboard loses power after a short time of use through XIM  (Read 1019 times)

Offline SalamiDSQ

• View Profile
After playing for about 10-20 seconds, sometimes even less, the keyboard loses power, and no new inputs are sent to the console. If any existing keys were held down while the keyboard lost power, they become stuck until the keyboard is reconnected.

Have tried disabling LEDs on the keyboard since it was suggested that it may be a power related issue, which in SOME cases does seem to make it last a little bit longer (maybe an extra 15 seconds), but still loses power after. There are no yellow indicators on the XIM APEX when it loses power. The keyboard is the Massdrop Ctrl, and works fine normally. I have tried using a powered USB hub also, which does not resolve the issue.

The issue also doesn't exist with the use of another keyboard, but I really like this keyboard and want to be able to use it through the XIM, and not another keyboard. The mouse continues to work fine after the keyboard loses power.
« Last Edit: 09:17 AM - 04/18/19 by mist4fun »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
All signs point to power drain, despite not seeing the yellow and red flashing LEDs on the XIM.

I use an ErgoDox EZ Shine which I believe uses the same firmware as the CTRL, so it's not likely a compatibility issue.

Are you adding a power supply to the XIM Apex USB hub, or using a different USB hub? Not all hubs are created equal and the XIM hub is very reliable with a power adapter.

Also try a different USB port on the console in case there are issues with that specific port.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline SalamiDSQ

• View Profile
All signs point to power drain, despite not seeing the yellow and red flashing LEDs on the XIM.

I use an ErgoDox EZ Shine which I believe uses the same firmware as the CTRL, so it's not likely a compatibility issue.

Are you adding a power supply to the XIM Apex USB hub, or using a different USB hub? Not all hubs are created equal and the XIM hub is very reliable with a power adapter.

Also try a different USB port on the console in case there are issues with that specific port.

The powered USB hub I have is actually a USB Switcher, which is this https://www.aten.com/global/en/products/usb-&-thunderbolt/peripheral-switches/us224/. It supports a USB power adapter which is what I have connected. Have already tried using a different USB port on the console. As for the configuration of the hub, I've tried the following:
Mouse and Keyboard connected to Powered USB Hub connected to XIM APEX
Mouse and Keyboard connected to Powered USB Hub connected to XIM hub connected to XIM APEX
Mouse connected to XIM hub, Keyboard connected to powered USB hub connected to XIM hub, with XIM hub connected to APEX

All of these result in the exact same issue.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
I use 2 x IOGear GUS404 USB switches in my setup. Aten is a rebranding of IOGear.

This is how to set it up -

M/kb > Aten USB switch > Apex USB hub > Apex > console
                       Controller  --/

The important part is the controller must remain connected to the XIM Apex USB hub, it won't work via a USB switch.

Optionally leave the mouse on the Apex USB hub, though it makes no practical difference.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline SalamiDSQ

• View Profile
Sorry, I probably should've been more specific, I've tried that exact setup also and I've kept controller in port 3 on the APEX hub, and tried connecting the USB switch to both ports 1 and 2 on the APEX hub to no avail.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
That's how I have mine setup and it's been working for years without issue. I have a USB cable running from the GUS404 to a 5V wall charger for additional power.

Are you using only one output cable from the USB switch to the Apex USB hub? I'm assuming so, but thought it best to check.

I think some other users have reported the CTRL as working. Perhaps search the forums to see if anyone else has had similar problems.

Offline SalamiDSQ

• View Profile
That's how I have mine setup and it's been working for years without issue. I have a USB cable running from the GUS404 to a 5V wall charger for additional power.

Are you using only one output cable from the USB switch to the Apex USB hub? I'm assuming so, but thought it best to check.

Yes, only one output cable to the Apex USB hub and the other to my computer so I can switch between the use of the keyboard and mouse on each. Should the power USB cable be running from the switcher to a wall charger?? I had mine connected to another USB port on the computer. If I need it connected to the wall charger, would any wall charger work, like an iPhone one, or would I need a 5V wall charger?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
It should work from a PC USB port, however I use an iPhone charger.

Note that swapping m/kb via a USB switch to Win10 tends to crash the USB host on the PC after a few swaps. A bug in the OS prevents the kb from working and requires a PC reboot.

The kb not working on a swap back to Win10 is not a XIM issue, nor is it a problem on Mac, Win7 or Win8.1
« Last Edit: 05:59 AM - 04/18/19 by antithesis »

Offline SalamiDSQ

• View Profile
Apologies to bump this but this is still an issue for me, have tried every combination on my usb switcher, powered it via another usb cable and to a wall socket. Was considering buying a belkin easy transfer cable so I can use the keyboard and mouse through xim link, but still haven't found any in Australia, will probably have to order internationally, but I still want to try and resolve this before I spend more money. Are there any additional troubleshooting steps I can do?? I've searched forums but found nothing, the other people with the same keyboard were recommended a powered usb hub and never seemed to comment on whether or not it worked afterwards.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Are you using an extended cable somewhere in your setup?

Testing other ports on the hub would rule out an issue with the port the keyboard is using now. Otherwise your keyboard is full LED so power will always be a possibility. Power draw issues can bring down the whole setup but when it happens with just one device there is a pretty good chance that it's related to either that device or power draw.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline SalamiDSQ

• View Profile
Are you using an extended cable somewhere in your setup?

Testing other ports on the hub would rule out an issue with the port the keyboard is using now. Otherwise your keyboard is full LED so power will always be a possibility. Power draw issues can bring down the whole setup but when it happens with just one device there is a pretty good chance that it's related to either that device or power draw.

I've tried a bunch of setups (no extended cables anywhere), most recently:

Keyboard -> powered USB Hub ->  XIM hub -> XIM APEX -> direct to console
                                       Mouse ->  XIM hub

Keyboard still loses power after about 30 seconds, all LEDs disabled on keyboard for the whole time, mouse continues to work fine. Other keyboards work fine in the same setup even with LEDs, is my only hope to use this keyboard to use XIM Link?
« Last Edit: 08:28 PM - 06/09/19 by SalamiDSQ »

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Two hubs shouldn't be needed, I would expect this to work. To be clear the hub should be connected to an AC outlet as well.

Console > APEX > Powered hub > Mouse
                                                     > Keyboard
                                                     > Controller

If this isn't working then you could try our latest beta which aims to improve hardware support. It would be necessary to update both firmware and Manager to their beta version. If this doesn't help then yes, either using another keyboard or XIM Link is needed to use the keyboard. Please let us know if you're not able to get it working so that I can add it to the hardware list.

If you would like to test our latest beta visit the link below. Please read the instructions on the download page. Feedback in the beta section of our forum is appreciated.

https://xim.tech/beta

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Hello there,
I am using a power adopter for xim apex and i am using a logitech g 502 mouse, along with massdrop ctrl keyboard.
I am facing the same issue, the keyboard disconnects after a while, can you please let me know if there is a fix for this?

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Is it just the keyboard and the mouse continues to work normally? If so you may want to try using the keyboard in another port of the hub. Otherwise when one device disconnects it can signal an issue with that device. XIM's timing requirements seem to be more strict than PC in that if they are off target or there's a voltage issue XIM will quarantine that device. Do you have another keyboard that you can test?

Offline inzaneip

• View Profile
Mist
I have tried to use another keyboard which is MK disco and I donít see any issues I have also used logitech pro keyboard and I donít see any issues
the issue occurs only with drop Ctrl keyboard

Admin