XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 250081 times)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
And I bought myself a better power supply for "ifi zen", I don't know how it will be, better or not, but I gave a lot of money)

Hello Roman_M!  :D

Well, if you have a DAC or DAC/Amp with 5V DC power supply (like Mayflower ARC, some from Topping and SMSL), clean power improves audio quality, makes things sound more pleasent, less bright and edgy on the treble (which is electrical noise due a noisy power supply).

A good ultra low noise power supply, adds something that we called: "Black Background" this background makes you feel that you can ping point better different sound cues, gives depth to a soundstage, just like a nice OLED screen does to your games.

I have one actually, pretty happy with it; but I used for my audiophile stuff, however I use a special power supplies for audio that are cleaner and improves audio quality, called Lineal Power Supply, which use a transformer (looks like IronMan heart).

But game consoles are very noisy (electrical noise) devices. If you have your DAC connected to your console via USB (most likely PS4/PS5) USB also carries noise, and if you want to remove it you needs a USB sound regenerator and jitter remover (ifi Purifier 3 - $140 usd).

For gaming I don't recommend it going this extra step, only if you use your gaming DAC for listen Hi-Fi or Hi-Res music.

The thing is, taking these measures to clean audio signal... once you hear it clean, you don't want to go back, but if you don't try you are not going to miss it.  ;)

Just like upgrading from a mechanical hard disk to a SSD drive.
« Last Edit: 05:48 PM - 05/16/22 by AMG »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Big shoutout to AMG for this comprehensive breakdown of audio solutions!  Curious, have you had any experience with the Audeze Penrose (X variant works with Ps5, Series X, and PC)?  Would love to hear your take on it as a wireless option.
Hi! thanks!

I tried bought one for my nephew, very convenient great audio quality for a Bluetooth transmiter, but still not up to par for the quality I ask for audio. Great for gaming tho, and very comfortable.

I can't say the same thing of my LCD2 which are heavy, but man they sound like a home theater in you head.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted or not but Zalias has his own website now. It's https://www.thezeference.com/

That is up to date and even contains game specific presets.
Nop, that's awesome. Thanks for the heads up, going to post it on the first page!

Offline Lukasz

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: boloMALAN

Hey Alan!

I have done everything as per your diagram, the only difference is that I have Arc MK2 so optic goes directly to Arc, but I have no sound at all.

Xbone sound settings are set to stereo too, any thoughts on what I am getting wrong?

Offline Lukasz

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: boloMALAN
I found the cause of the issue, though I have not clue how to fix it, it is a grounding issue.

Offline Roman_M

• family of gamers and audiophiles
    • View Profile
And I bought myself a better power supply for "ifi zen", I don't know how it will be, better or not, but I gave a lot of money)

Hello Roman_M!  :D

Well, if you have a DAC or DAC/Amp with 5V DC power supply (like Mayflower ARC, some from Topping and SMSL), clean power improves audio quality, makes things sound more pleasent, less bright and edgy on the treble (which is electrical noise due a noisy power supply).

A good ultra low noise power supply, adds something that we called: "Black Background" this background makes you feel that you can ping point better different sound cues, gives depth to a soundstage, just like a nice OLED screen does to your games.

I have one actually, pretty happy with it; but I used for my audiophile stuff, however I use a special power supplies for audio that are cleaner and improves audio quality, called Lineal Power Supply, which use a transformer (looks like IronMan heart).

But game consoles are very noisy (electrical noise) devices. If you have your DAC connected to your console via USB (most likely PS4/PS5) USB also carries noise, and if you want to remove it you needs a USB sound regenerator and jitter remover (ifi Purifier 3 - $140 usd).

For gaming I don't recommend it going this extra step, only if you use your gaming DAC for listen Hi-Fi or Hi-Res music.

The thing is, taking these measures to clean audio signal... once you hear it clean, you don't want to go back, but if you don't try you are not going to miss it.  ;)

Just like upgrading from a mechanical hard disk to a SSD drive.

Hello Alan, I haven't been here for a long time, and only now I saw your message;) The fact is that my Amplifier from "ifi Zen" died, at one moment there was a "failure" with the sound and ifi stopped working, and the power supply itself also died  .  But it doesn’t matter anymore, I switched to a PC, tied up with consoles (; What would you advise me to use on a PC? I still have (jds dac + amp) headphones I have Bayer.D990pro 250ohm. All this is left, and a microphone  from Audiotehnika "atgm2", now it's just a matter of small things;))) assemble a PC and do business and games already there.  Thank you for your attention .
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile

Hello Alan, I haven't been here for a long time, and only now I saw your message;) The fact is that my Amplifier from "ifi Zen" died, at one moment there was a "failure" with the sound and ifi stopped working, and the power supply itself also died  .  But it doesn’t matter anymore, I switched to a PC, tied up with consoles (; What would you advise me to use on a PC? I still have (jds dac + amp) headphones I have Bayer.D990pro 250ohm. All this is left, and a microphone  from Audiotehnika "atgm2", now it's just a matter of small things;))) assemble a PC and do business and games already there.  Thank you for your attention .

Hey! :D

Sorry to read about your ifi Amp.

Well if you are on PC I highly recommend to get a Sennheiser GXS1000 is an awesome DAC/amp that only works on PC, it has a very nice and efective surround DSP engine, to enjoy your games. It might lack of power but you can use your JDS amp with it if need it.

Sennheiser GXS1000

Offline Roman_M

• View Profile

Hey! :D

Sorry to read about your ifi Amp.

Well if you are on PC I highly recommend to get a Sennheiser GXS1000 is an awesome DAC/amp that only works on PC, it has a very nice and efective surround DSP engine, to enjoy your games. It might lack of power but you can use your JDS amp with it if need it.

Sennheiser GXS1000

Thanks for the recommendation Alan.
  But I would like to use my headphones:
 1. Dt990pro (250ohm)
 2. microphone atgm2 > from audio equipment.
           I wanted to minimize the space, use it compactly, so that there would be more space on the table, how do I use my headphones to the fullest?  how to do it better?  I have and working now only :
  (Jds atom amp+Jds ell dac 2)
  ::)
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
If you want to simplify everything, you can sell JDS Stack and get a nice DAC/Amp.

Offline Roman_M

• View Profile
I just wanted to know what to use with my Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro headphones - 250 ohm.
 on PC:
  sound amplifier and sound card

I would like the best equipment. 😉

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Forget Sound Cards, DAC is what you want for audio. Amp for powering your headphones.

Offline Roman_M

• View Profile
Forget Sound Cards, DAC is what you want for audio. Amp for powering your headphones.
what is the best one for my headphones, the price is not more than 500€ ???

Offline King_ST

• View Profile
Hello @AMG, I have a question about my Astro A50 Gen4 headset. I play on a PS5 and am currently using the Astro HDMI 2.0 Toslink Adapter. Now I bought a new monitor that creates 4k/120hz VRR with HDMI 2.1 connection. Since there is currently no HDMI 2.1 adapter, I have the following problem: The Astro Headset then no longer works via Toslink, but only via USB to the PS5, so that I can play 4k/120 hz. But I don't have the surround sound of the headset via USB, nor can I load the headset's presets. Is there any way to connect the headset properly to the Ps5 without an adapter, but with 4k/120HZ VRR Dolby Sound with presets? Unfortunately, the monitor does not have a Toslink input. thank you for the answers

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Check if your monitor might have a Headphone output.

Now, you will need a Analog-to-Digital Converter, which has 3.5mm or RCA input and Toslink output

Connect the headphone out (3.5mm to 3.5mm cable) from your monitor to the audio in 3.5mm on the ADC converter. (headphone icon)

Then get the Toslink output from the ADC converter to your Mixamp Toslink input, and connect the USB to PS5, what I'm not entirely sure if is you can set it just like PS4 where you can mix both audio signals where HDMI Audio, is the game audio and USB is only Chat audio, this allows you to mix with MixAmp knob.

Getting audio on MixAmp from the digital input aka Toslink enables the 3D and EQ features of MixAmp.

Sorry I can't tell you more; I only use Arc which works pretty well via USB and with sony's 3D effect audio and is 120Hz/4K compatible.

Offline MisterWicked1

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: MisterWicked1
Check if your monitor might have a Headphone output.

Now, you will need a Analog-to-Digital Converter, which has 3.5mm or RCA input and Toslink output

Connect the headphone out (3.5mm to 3.5mm cable) from your monitor to the audio in 3.5mm on the ADC converter. (headphone icon)

Then get the Toslink output from the ADC converter to your Mixamp Toslink input, and connect the USB to PS5, what I'm not entirely sure if is you can set it just like PS4 where you can mix both audio signals where HDMI Audio, is the game audio and USB is only Chat audio, this allows you to mix with MixAmp knob.

Getting audio on MixAmp from the digital input aka Toslink enables the 3D and EQ features of MixAmp.

Sorry I can't tell you more; I only use Arc which works pretty well via USB and with sony's 3D effect audio and is 120Hz/4K compatible.

Your using the 3d Sony audio? I could never find anything that sounded correct to me