XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 250083 times)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Hello Alan!

I have the Mayflower ARC MK2 connected with optical with an audio extractor between my Xbox series X and my monitor. From my controller an y-split cableó> 3,5 mm male-male from y-headphones outó> back of the mayflower aux in. And my modmicó> y-mic in.

The only problem is that I hear an echo it is like there is 2 outputs of sound not synced with each other. Do you have any solution? What could be the reason for the delay? Thanks in advance!!

Weird. setup you have. Correct me if I'm wrong, you have it like this?:

HDMI Extractor Optical to Mayflower ARC Optical In.
Controller Y spliter. Headphone Out to Mayflower Aux In.
Controller Y splitter Mic In to ModMic.

Right?

Make sure on XBox Audio setting
Try:
Party chat output - Headset only.

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
Hello Alan!

I have the Mayflower ARC MK2 connected with optical with an audio extractor between my Xbox series X and my monitor. From my controller an y-split cableó> 3,5 mm male-male from y-headphones outó> back of the mayflower aux in. And my modmicó> y-mic in.

The only problem is that I hear an echo it is like there is 2 outputs of sound not synced with each other. Do you have any solution? What could be the reason for the delay? Thanks in advance!!

Weird. setup you have. Correct me if I'm wrong, you have it like this?:

HDMI Extractor Optical to Mayflower ARC Optical In.
Controller Y spliter. Headphone Out to Mayflower Aux In.
Controller Y splitter Mic In to ModMic.

Right?

Make sure on XBox Audio setting
Try:
Party chat output - Headset only.

Yes thatís right! Sorry for the confusion. Thatís the right way to connect it?

Already tried that. Did not work :(

Offline lojack8345

• View Profile
firstly i want to say hello. first time on here. i recently stumbled along this thread when searching for a new dac/amp to use with my ps5. Read lot of the thread and just looking to confirm some things for the upgraded setup.
I've been using the astro a40 tr and they are starting to have issues and is definitely not as good as my pc setup.

i play alot of destiny 2(just cant quit it for some reason), dabble in other fps like apex and warzone and other pvp games, and play alot of rpg and action platform games like god of war, horizon zero dawn, demon souls and other stuff like that.

On my pc i jump between my schiit stack modi/magni 3 and the evga nu audio sound card(bought that when i was new to the game and works well. old school gamer when we needed better soundcards). When i game i have a pair of DT 990 Pro 250 ohm and the pc38x. 

I have the arc mk2 on the way and plan on using my antlion bluetooth mic beacuse its ps5 compatiable. i use it already with my pc. works really well on there.

Looking for a setup that can help with pvp stuff and give me that immersion and also that i can use a bunch of my pc stuff with. also trying to still us 4k hdmi 2.1 without using an optical sound extractor. its not an option because i use a monitor and not tv to game on. trying to minimize the cable mess i already have. lol

Do i need anything else to compliment the ARC mk2 like a better amp? since i here that helps

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Do i need anything else to compliment the ARC mk2 like a better amp? since i here that helps
Not at all, Mayflower ARC can drive the DT990 Pro 250Ohms edition without issues at is full dynamic range, dial goes about 1:00 o'clock.

You don't need a HDMI extractor either, Mayflower ARC works via USB full sound performance. For footsteps detection with DT990 Pro you don't need to EQ your headphones, its sound signature is spot on to highlight those frequencies.

Mayflower ARC also works with Sony proprietary 3D sound technology, that's great to enjoy single player games.

Offline lojack8345

• View Profile
Not at all, Mayflower ARC can drive the DT990 Pro 250Ohms edition without issues at is full dynamic range, dial goes about 1:00 o'clock.

You don't need a HDMI extractor either, Mayflower ARC works via USB full sound performance. For footsteps detection with DT990 Pro you don't need to EQ your headphones, its sound signature is spot on to highlight those frequencies.

Mayflower ARC also works with Sony proprietary 3D sound technology, that's great to enjoy single player games.

Thanks

i could've swore looking at the past threads you said adding an amp to the mix of the ARC helped to compliment the sound. i got the budget for it that's why i asked 

ive been doing alot of homework and watching reviews from badseed, z reviews, and some others about the arc 2 and the schiit hel 2(which is now ps5 compatible btw). unfortunately I've been hearing alot of QC issues with the hel 2 thats why i went with the ARC.

i haven't been to impressed with the 3d sound. never really used surround sound in the past either 

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
i could've swore looking at the past threads you said adding an amp to the mix of the ARC helped to compliment the sound. i got the budget for it that's why i asked

You might bee confusing the ARC with a DAC, ARC as its own headphone amp built-in, which can run most headphones below 300Ohms, some fellas used ARC as a DAC and the THX 789 headphone amp to "compliment the sound", I don't think that's necessary, practical or efficient but hey, if it works for you, go ahead  ;)

ive been doing alot of homework and watching reviews from badseed, z reviews, and some others about the arc 2 and the schiit hel 2(which is now ps5 compatible btw). unfortunately I've been hearing alot of QC issues with the hel 2 thats why i went with the ARC.

Z Reviews, BadSeedTech, Joshua Valour, HardwareCanucks all of them... are publish-tubers don't trust them they work is selling not giving good audio advice, there is better sources.
Mayflower ARC offers 10 years warranty, that's a great trait and talks on how much effort they put on their product.

i haven't been to impressed with the 3d sound. never really used surround sound in the past either
That's just another flavor for the sound, is great for single campaign, for competitive FPS shooters, stereo ALWAYS will be better, specially if your headphones and amp has a precise "stereo imaging".

Offline MisterWicked1

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: MisterWicked1

You might bee confusing the ARC with a DAC, ARC as its own headphone amp built-in, which can run most headphones below 300Ohms, some fellas used ARC as a DAC and the THX 789 headphone amp to "compliment the sound", I don't think that's necessary, practical or efficient but hey, if it works for you, go ahead  ;)

Z Reviews, BadSeedTech, Joshua Valour, HardwareCanucks all of them... are publish-tubers don't trust them they work is selling not giving good audio advice, there is better sources.
Mayflower ARC offers 10 years warranty, that's a great trait and talks on how much effort they put on their product.

That's just another flavor for the sound, is great for single campaign, for competitive FPS shooters, stereo ALWAYS will be better, specially if your headphones and amp has a precise "stereo imaging".

LoJack might be talking about the iFi Zen Can Alan

Offline lojack8345

• View Profile

LoJack might be talking about the iFi Zen Can Alan

mister wicked- i was talking ifi zen can, smsl, topping or something similar.

AMG- i understand the ARC is a DAC/AMP combo. i have a basic understanding of audiophile world. been dabbling a bit over the years.

Was just asking to ensure i wasnt short changing the headphones. Especially if i decide to get better headphones. It's also going to double for when im out of town and only have my laptop. i do watch movies and listen to music. lol

to each there own on the you tubers. those were the first few that came to mind. i dont swear by them. i usually go deep diving into internet articles and the forums. hence how i found this nice thread. 

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
to each there own on the you tubers. those were the first few that came to mind. i dont swear by them. i usually go deep diving into internet articles and the forums. hence how i found this nice thread. 
Not trying to bashing or underestimate your findings.

Just want to clarify for everyone... those "youtubers" are trash publitubers, don't fall for that.

Offline Boonersooner

• View Profile
Hey Alan I just found this thread and I know you know your stuff about audio! What build would you recommend to hear footsteps better for fps games.. I only play cod and warzone on a ps4 soon a ps5 when I can get my hands on one!  My budget is up too $1200 for a headset,modmic, and amp/dac. I read most of your post and it made me iffy on getting the AKG Pro Audio K712 PRO now. Any insight would be amazing! Thank you!

Hello! sorry for the late reply

Well that's a great budget you can do lots of things with it.

As ATLRoach mentioned PS supports most USB audio devices. Best path IMO is to get a Hi-Fi Headphone and Mic separately, like blue yeti, samson q2u, hypercast etc, however on PS can be troublesome.

When you connect a USB mic on a PS, PS is going to recognize it as a USB Audio Device, with Input (Mic) and Output (Mic headphone out), the mic headphone out has a DAC... very low quality is only made so you can monitor your voice, not good for gaming.

That's why mic with 3.5mm output (analog) is recommended, and a DAC amp with  mic input.

I know I keep repeating... I swear not trying to sell it, but for practicality Mayflower ARC MK2 is a great all in one option, works with PS4/PS5 and you can use modmic on it. It can drive most headphones in the market.

Using a USB DAC/Amp like Mayflower ARC will allow you to play 4K/120Hz.

Headphones selection is a personal preference, but if you really want a footsteps detection overpowered ones, without breaking the bank... DT990 Pro's will be top of the list, any headphone with this features:
+ Great imaging
+ Great Midrange
+ Great soundstage

Will be great for gaming, miles better than you can find on gaming headsets.

So my best bet will be:
+ Mayflower ARC MK2
+ DT990 Pro or AKG 712 PRO, Focal Elex, HD560S, TYGR R300
+ Modmic or ATGM mics.

If you get AKG 712 PRO or whatever headphone and still have issues to hear foosteps (doubt it) we can give you an EQ to highlight those frequencies. :)

Haha your good man! I really appreciate the response! Funny thing is I already bought everything and it's exactly what you listed! So perfect! I went with the dt990 pro limited edition 600ohms,mayflower arc 2,antlion wireless modmic. I Was going to go with the 250ohms but decided on 600 lol I hope that wasn't a mistake!  I won't have everything til after the 23rd but I'll hop back on this thread and let you know how it goes!! And if you have any tips or tricks with the mayflower let me know! Thanks again alan!

Offline MarKsMinn

• Combat Army Veteran. 11B
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: MarKsMinn
Iím getting an bad link error anyone else?
Mouse: G502
Sony Nav
Headset: Astro Mixamp + AD900 + Zalman Mic
Monitor: Foris FS2434

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
Awesome!, enjoy it its a great pair of cans.  ;D

Well, proper amplification is quite tricky, picking up a cheap amp can ruin the sound delivery.

Sound amplification is not about getting louder, but getting clearer.

Sound is like a very detail to a tee, illustration, like a bill / note
An Amplifier is like a magnifying glass, that allow us to see all the details and very small subtleties of that illustration.
The quality of the glass will determine how well we can "Zoom in" to appreciate those details (sound dynamics, attack, speed, changes on the sound)

If this glass is dirty or scratched, opaque it wont work, that's why on audiophile we use the word "transparent" how "clean" that glass is and how well magnifies this image.

Below $100 USD you won't find a good amplifier without ruining the sound... imaging, sound-stage, all the wide airy openess the AKG has, will be ruined.

If I remember right, you can use SB X7 RCA Audio In with a Y RCA L/R to 3.5mm adapter to keep using its built-in amplifier.

Now if you are looking to make another jump and get a transparent amplifier (X7 is not) JDS Atom all the way; 5 years ago we should pay above $300 USD to get that amp transparency performance. Topping L30 or any chinese clone... I will stay away due its QC issues, there is some L30 batch out there that blows headphones.

However, there is an amazing audio british company, they make most amazing high performance-value ratio products and I guess you can find it cheaper than the rest of the world, and that is iFi Audio. iFi Zen CAN amp and you will be set, its 135 amp sounds like a an american 299 amp.

I check on amazon uk, and there is a Pro-ject 125 lb, legendary Austrian company.

So it might feelt like a little stretch but a very worthy upgrade that will unleashed all the potential of your AKG's

ifi Zen CAN  > Pro-Ject  > Atom

Topping L30

All those cheapo portable no-brand chinese headphone amps below $40 USD... stay away.

Hope it helps! :D
Bit the bullet and bought the iFi Zen CAN.
It works well. Sound through my 702s is now loud and clear. The addition of extra bass is very welcome and the 3D matrix works really well to take the sound outside my head. Makes a big difference to audio detection in CoD! The hiss from the X7 is still there, but no longer noticable and the interference has vanished.

My set-up:
PS4 Pro into Sound Blaster X7 via optical
PC into Sound Blaster X7 via USB
XBSX into controller via 3.5mm ext into Sound Blaster X7 via RCA adapter (line in)
Sound Blaster X7 into Zen CAN via RCA adapter (line out) (X7 volume at 100%)
Zen CAN connected to AKG K702s.
Zen CAN gain set to 12dB, volume at 40%, XBass and 3D both on.

I may just have discovered my perfect gaming audio set-up! Thanks for all your help, Alan.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro + Crucial MX500 1TB, Xbox Series X, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, AKG K702, Creative Sound Blaster X7, iFi Zen DAC v2, iFi Zen CAN, Eve Spectrum 4K 144Hz.

LIAN LI A4 H2O, ASRock Z690M-ITX/ax, Intel Core i5 12400, EK-AIO Basic 240, Crucial 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 2TB, Crucial MX500 1TB, KFA2 RTX 3080 SG, Cooler Master V850 SFX Gold and if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline Roman_M

• family of gamers and audiophiles
    • View Profile
And I bought myself a better power supply for "ifi zen", I don't know how it will be, better or not, but I gave a lot of money)
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline ZioComposite

• MVP
    • View Profile
Big shoutout to AMG for this comprehensive breakdown of audio solutions!  Curious, have you had any experience with the Audeze Penrose (X variant works with Ps5, Series X, and PC)?  Would love to hear your take on it as a wireless option.

Offline iiTz Krai

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: iiTz Krai
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this has been posted or not but Zalias has his own website now. It's https://www.thezeference.com/

That is up to date and even contains game specific presets.

Admin