XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 221918 times)

Offline Brutalimp

• View Profile
A MUST WATCH

THE BEST GAMING HEADPHONES don't matter by Crinacle

Enjoy!

Interesting video, but that guy is ugly as sin, holy crap. Anyways...

It is very much opinion however, I have heard many people say that while the HD800 has a massive soundstage, it is not very accurate at positioning accuracy.
« Last Edit: 11:02 PM - 10/08/21 by Brutalimp »

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Is not like any opinion, is a very heavy weight one, he has tested and measured more headphones/IEMs than most human been on its lifetime.

Not saying is a law what he saids, but is pretty accurate and based on experience.

Audio is subjective, as you said some say HD800 is too wide and not very accurate, some say HD600 is useless for gaming, all these are valid, if it works for you.

I can't handle HD800 harsh treble, is pretty amazing headphone with outstanding sound-stage and imaging, but way too much input, gets my ears tired in minutes. HD800S is bit tame but still very detail. When it comes of high end soundstage, precision and imaging I prefer Hifiman Arya. A laid back character of HD660S works better for me or cristal clear DT990 Pro for sweat tryhard gaming.

What ever headphone or headset that disappear on your head (max confort) and allows you to hear clearly what you need to do, it will be the best; you have to find the right match for you.

Offline Brutalimp

• View Profile
Is not like any opinion, is a very heavy weight one, he has tested and measured more headphones/IEMs than most human been on its lifetime.

Not saying is a law what he saids, but is pretty accurate and based on experience.

Audio is subjective, as you said some say HD800 is too wide and not very accurate, some say HD600 is useless for gaming, all these are valid, if it works for you.

I can't handle HD800 harsh treble, is pretty amazing headphone with outstanding sound-stage and imaging, but way too much input, gets my ears tired in minutes. HD800S is bit tame but still very detail. When it comes of high end soundstage, precision and imaging I prefer Hifiman Arya. A laid back character of HD660S works better for me or cristal clear DT990 Pro for sweat tryhard gaming.

What ever headphone or headset that disappear on your head (max confort) and allows you to hear clearly what you need to do, it will be the best; you have to find the right match for you.

It is so true that sound can be so subjective.

The best headphones I ever used were these old Ultrasone S-Logic headphones, that were INCREDIBLY uncomfortable. They use a weird design to simulate surround sound that only works for some people's ears and they are rarely talked about in the audiophile community.

I will tell you that their surround sound imaging accuracy was bonkers, I felt like I could hear the enemies on the other side of the map and knew their positions just from that. (This was the original black ops/black ops 2). The only issue is that the headphones were literally painful to wear and I ended up getting rid of them. To this day I have not had any other headphones come close to the positional accuracy in gaming as those old weird headphones nobody talks about.

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
Thanks for your thoughts, Alan. Iím not into streaming, just thought this might be a decent solution for playing on my PC and Series X, but its standout feature seems to be SXFI and my headset isnít supported.
Really struggling to find a device that gives great positional audio and that works with 4k 120Hz consoles and PCs.
Gotcha.

I confess every now and then going back to the ATH-ADG1X is so comfortable.

Can I suggest some options?

You can use a ADC Converter, like the PORTTA, use it from the headphone out of the controller to feed the SBX7 SPDIF TOSlink input. - I don't quite remember if DSP (SBX) can be apply to the Optical input or is only USB.

If that is not an option, well all you can do at the moment is going to the analog domain, time to upgrade your audio gear.

Meaning, going for proper wide soundstage great stereo imaging HiFi headphones, like HD560S, AKG K702*, or DT990 Pro** both with wider soundstage and precise sound positioning than ADG1X which by the way sounds narrower on X7 DAC. Both more effective and more afforable solution, where Sennheiser HD800S is the endgame gaming headphone, put any source to that thing and it will turn it on a true surround experience.

However these headphones needs amplification to get the best of it, fortunately a $99 usd headphone amp does the job. Schiit Magni Heresy, JDS Atom, Topping L30.

Then as a final tweak you can buy Xbox Dolby Atmos App and use its Equalizer to boost some frequencies that make it easier to distinguish footsteps and other cues, which is pretty much what Creative does with SBX Scout and all that DSP thing that he sells as improvements.

Notice: I'm not on the "fixing issues by throwing money", but on this case seems unavoidable.

Even when the HDMI 2.1 Extractors arrival, XBox is looking to bring HiRes Dolby Atmos in their games and that can't go on SPDIF limited bandwidth.  :-\

*great footsteps decection wide soundstage
**best for soundwhore footsteps detection

I bought the AKGs, aaaaannnd...

I love 'em!

I've used them on PC and the PS4 Pro (with the X7). So much more depth than my G1Xs and the positional audio is really good. So much so that, on CoD, It's like having a permanent audio VSAT! Thanks for the recommendation, AMG.

I've not used them with the Series X yet though, as I can only source the Atom and the L30 in the UK and they're both ~£140. Can you suggest anything cheaper?

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, 1TB Crucial MX500, XSX, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Awesome!, enjoy it its a great pair of cans.  ;D

Well, proper amplification is quite tricky, picking up a cheap amp can ruin the sound delivery.

Sound amplification is not about getting louder, but getting clearer.

Sound is like a very detail to a tee, illustration, like a bill / note
An Amplifier is like a magnifying glass, that allow us to see all the details and very small subtleties of that illustration.
The quality of the glass will determine how well we can "Zoom in" to appreciate those details (sound dynamics, attack, speed, changes on the sound)

If this glass is dirty or scratched, opaque it wont work, that's why on audiophile we use the word "transparent" how "clean" that glass is and how well magnifies this image.

Below $100 USD you won't find a good amplifier without ruining the sound... imaging, sound-stage, all the wide airy openess the AKG has, will be ruined.

If I remember right, you can use SB X7 RCA Audio In with a Y RCA L/R to 3.5mm adapter to keep using its built-in amplifier.

Now if you are looking to make another jump and get a transparent amplifier (X7 is not) JDS Atom all the way; 5 years ago we should pay above $300 USD to get that amp transparency performance. Topping L30 or any chinese clone... I will stay away due its QC issues, there is some L30 batch out there that blows headphones.

However, there is an amazing audio british company, they make most amazing high performance-value ratio products and I guess you can find it cheaper than the rest of the world, and that is iFi Audio. iFi Zen CAN amp and you will be set, its 135 amp sounds like a an american 299 amp.

I check on amazon uk, and there is a Pro-ject 125 lb, legendary Austrian company.

So it might feelt like a little stretch but a very worthy upgrade that will unleashed all the potential of your AKG's

ifi Zen CAN  > Pro-Ject  > Atom

Topping L30

All those cheapo portable no-brand chinese headphone amps below $40 USD... stay away.

Hope it helps! :D
« Last Edit: 07:35 PM - 10/13/21 by AMG »

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
If I remember right, you can use SB X7 RCA Audio In with a Y RCA L/R to 3.5mm adapter to keep using its built-in amplifier.
  ??? Sorry, but this went right over my head. Any chance you could explain what you mean to somebody that knows nothing about audio equipment (me)?

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, 1TB Crucial MX500, XSX, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  ??? Sorry, but this went right over my head. Any chance you could explain what you mean to somebody that knows nothing about audio equipment (me)?
Sorry for the late reply.

This:

Headphone to SB X7.  ;)

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Hello friends, what are you doing?  What's new and interesting.  Alan share your "affairs" with us =)
- Xbox series X ✓
- Xbox elite series 2 ✓
- Jds ell dac 2 ✓
- Jds atom amp ✓
- Insignia audio extractor ✓
- Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓
- Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓
- ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓
- Shiit loki+ ✓
- iFi Zen Can ✓

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
Sorry for the late reply.

This:

Headphone to SB X7.  ;)
Thanks Alan.
Yes, it does work but I’m picking up interferance (from the Apex and something else, that I can’t isolate). Think I’ll just get the Zen Can.
« Last Edit: 06:04 AM - 10/21/21 by ceebs »

Where's HL3?

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
I need to bin my SB X7 as I'm getting interference (a low buzzing/hum) no matter where I position it or which socket it's plugged into. I'm suspecting a loose internal connection.

I'm thinking of getting the Fiio K5 Pro, as I can connect my PS4 (optical), PC (USB) and Series X (RCA) to it, all at the same time.

In your opinion, is there much difference in sound quality between the iFi ZEN CAN and the Fiio K5 Pro?

Where's HL3?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Did you change any cables in your X7 setup? Bundling any audio cables with power cables? What input & output are you using?

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
Did you change any cables in your X7 setup? Bundling any audio cables with power cables? What input & output are you using?
I unplugged everything a few weeks ago when I replaced my gaming desk and the problem started when I reconnected, but all the cables are the same. I've swapped out all the 5v power packs to see if I plugged in the wrong one, but that didn't fix it.
I can only think that I damaged the X7 when I moved it.

Where's HL3?

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Hi ceebs,

It is like a hum or buzz?, it might be a ground issue, quite common when you are putting together two devices with different outles.

It may be fix with a ground loop insolator: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001EAQTRI/

It goes between the RCA 3.5mm male and the Headphone input.

Honestly iFi Zen CAN will be the best upgrade.

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Hello friends, what are you doing?  What's new and interesting.  Alan share your "affairs" with us =)
Hey Roman!, not much  ;)

These cans took me out of my gaming lately:

Can't find a new game that hook me up.  :-\

Offline Bagura32rus

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: POLiCE_SHEERIFF
Hi Alan!  tell me please, I have a mixamp gen3 - jds labs atom amp - ears HyperX Cloud Alpha Cloud9, it is possible to purchase JDS EL DAC I, can I leave a mixamp in this chain to adjust the volume of the game and adjust the volume of the chat?  Thank you for the answer .