XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229642 times)

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
What the dolby atmos setting?  Thought you were using the "3D Mode" On the IFI Zen Can.
Dolby Atmos EQ improves Xbox DAC.

iFi Zen 3D is a holographic effect made on the Analog domain (no distortion) unheard of for a entry device.

I play stereo, no DSP or 3D. Set Binaural Mix when available if not then I tried DSP or 3D, but never for competitive.
Mayflower ARC MK2 still is my gaming DAC, great sound signature in a very small package.

With the Mayflower ARC MK2 and an ADC is it worth buying and adding an iFi ZEN to the mix? And how should it all be connected? :)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
With the Mayflower ARC MK2 and an ADC is it worth buying and adding an iFi ZEN to the mix? And how should it all be connected? :)
iFi Zen CAN produces a warm sound signature, audio feels sweeter, fuller, laid back more musical. ARC built-in amp is cold in comparison, sound feels edgy, aggressive and more analytic.

ARC MK2 works as a DAC, by connecting its RCA L/R outputs to the Zen CAN RCA inputs. Headphone should be plug in the Zen CAN, its 3D effect will be available on this setup.

I will do this, only if ARC amp wasn't able to drive a power hungry headphones like 600 Ohms planars.

Usually an analytic DAC + warm AMP combo or warm DAC + analytic AMP combo makes good synergy great combination better than having both of the same nature.

Tried it, like it more than Schiit Mod3+ and Zen CAN combo, Schiit DAC is neutral not as agressive than ARC. I tried Zen DAC (Warm) and Zen CAN (Warm) for gaming... sounds sluggish... not as dynamic, great for jazz tho!

Do I recommend add Zen to the mix?, well the point of the ARC is having one single device, needing a converter is already a pain. You don need it, BUT

if you also like listen to music, and you want to hear something different than ARCs adding Zen CAN, will be nice alternative available by pressing one button (ARC output selector) to hear your music from the Zen CAN amplifier.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
The topic froze ..
 Well, I'll probably start) Alan, my friend, do you not understand good routers, routers for the Internet yet?  I am looking for a replacement for my tp-link.  The fact is that my router stopped seeing the SIM card, and I'm looking for a sound.  I only use wi-fi, 4g lte, the ability to conduct or connect a wire is excluded.  I need a very good routers for my SIM card, I'm ready to give 200 € for it.  You could advise me something, or maybe there are friends who understand this.  ??
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
The topic froze ..
 Well, I'll probably start) Alan, my friend, do you not understand good routers, routers for the Internet yet?  I am looking for a replacement for my tp-link.  The fact is that my router stopped seeing the SIM card, and I'm looking for a sound.  I only use wi-fi, 4g lte, the ability to conduct or connect a wire is excluded.  I need a very good routers for my SIM card, I'm ready to give 200 € for it.  You could advise me something, or maybe there are friends who understand this.  ??
I use a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 gaming router, with geo location to be able to connect to best suitable servers, and that's it, its QoS interface is also pretty handy to manage network.

I have been absent, tinkering a new rasperry pi to make my own gaming DAC for next gen consoles.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
The topic froze ..
I use a Netgear Nighthawk XR500 gaming router, with geo location to be able to connect to best suitable servers, and that's it, its QoS interface is also pretty handy to manage network.

I have been absent, tinkering a new rasperry pi to make my own gaming DAC for next gen consoles.

Thanks Alan, but he doesn't suit me.  It will be interesting to see what you get.  Interesting 🤔

Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
Hello guys, I want to share something!

I been struggling with my audio setup on my Xbox Series X when using an HDMI audio extractor due to loosing VRR support on my monitor, some problem with the handshake between the monitor and the console when it is not directly connected.

I recently bought a new monitor LG 32GP850-n (https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-32gp850-b-gaming-monitor) and replaced my Samsung 27" G7, could not stand the curved. At the same time i ordered a new HDMI audio extractor from StarTech (Version: HD202A - https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-HDMI-Audio-Extractor-embedder/dp/B07PXT21VD - the audio extractor set to PASS) with the thought of settle with 60 hz and loosing VRR.

After putting it all together and checking my XBOX Seriers X settings I discover that VRR option is not greyed out as an option and the box is still checked - monitor settings 1440px120hz. In my curiosity i go in to my monitor settings and turn on the FPS counter, starting WARZONE (most unstable framerate game i ever played on XBOX) and I VRR/Freesync WORKS, sooo smooth, no problems what´s so ever!!!!

Now I can use the optical port and still enjoy 1440px120hz and VRR/FreeSync.

Hope it helps! :)
« Last Edit: 07:55 AM - 09/12/21 by Walle90 »

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
Hello Alan and everyone. Im on a quest to find a nice gaming audio setup :)

At the moment my audio setup for my Xbox Series X is an audio extractor, Mayflower ARC MK2 with HD660S and a modmic.

My question is if I would gain more from buying an Astro Mixamp, Schiit Loki and an IFI ZEN Can? Or should I add something to my Mayflower or just stick with it?  Or do you have other recommendations?

I mostly play COD warzone.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hi Walle90.

Sorry I'm behind with my inbox msgs, saw you write me there.

Not sure what do you want to improve.?  :-\

The reasons of sticking with Astro MixAmp is to have Chat/Game audio Mix control, sacrificing better sound quality and resolution, and use VRR and 120Hz on 4K. MixAmp + external amp just doesn't sound as clean, precise and fast as Mayflower ARC DAC.

If it's Chat/Game audio mix what you need, then you can make it work with Mayflower ARC MK2 .

Set on your XBox that Chat Audio goes only on your Headset.
Then connect a Y Splitter Headphone out / Mic In adapter, on your controller.
Connect your modmic to the Mic In.
Connect a 3.5mm male to male extension from the Y splitter Headphone out to the back of Mayflower Arc MK Aux In.

Keep using HDMI Audio Extractor to connect TOSlink Optical to the Mayflower ARC MK2 TOSlink Optical In. Mayflower ARC set on Optical Input.

This way, Mayflower ARC decodes pure digital Game Console audio coming from HDMI.
Modmic goes thorough the controller
Chat Audio that comes from the controller to the back of ARC gets digital mixed (unique feature) into your headphone, you can use volume control on Xbox to manage Chat Party volume. Less messy than having 3 devices and many more cables.

Gaming Performance wise, ARC sounds better.

Now if you think you need to improve something in your chain... headphones man, those always make a bigger impact.
Beyerdynamic DT990 or Tygr 300 are worth to give it a shoot. Compare to HD660S, Beyer dynamics on competitive shooters its wider soundstage and very revealing imaging gives you an edge, however are bright and crisp, can tire your ears sooner than HD660S which are more relaxed and easier to hear on long periods of time.

iFi Zen CAN + External DAC + EQ like loki are great as entry level of HiRes music listening.

Using Zen CAN with XB Headphone Output is great option to use high impedance headphones, but doesn't beat Mayflowers, where the DAC makes a more precise sound picture, where you can distinguish every sound cue its position and texture, Zen CAN taking the sound from the controller DAC which is lower res... can't do much. But this setup is recommended if you want to keep VRR and 4K @120Hz.

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
Hi Walle90.

Sorry I'm behind with my inbox msgs, saw you write me there.

Not sure what do you want to improve.?  :-\

The reasons of sticking with Astro MixAmp is to have Chat/Game audio Mix control, sacrificing better sound quality and resolution, and use VRR and 120Hz on 4K. MixAmp + external amp just doesn't sound as clean, precise and fast as Mayflower ARC DAC.

If it's Chat/Game audio mix what you need, then you can make it work with Mayflower ARC MK2 .

Set on your XBox that Chat Audio goes only on your Headset.
Then connect a Y Splitter Headphone out / Mic In adapter, on your controller.
Connect your modmic to the Mic In.
Connect a 3.5mm male to male extension from the Y splitter Headphone out to the back of Mayflower Arc MK Aux In.

Keep using HDMI Audio Extractor to connect TOSlink Optical to the Mayflower ARC MK2 TOSlink Optical In. Mayflower ARC set on Optical Input.

This way, Mayflower ARC decodes pure digital Game Console audio coming from HDMI.
Modmic goes thorough the controller
Chat Audio that comes from the controller to the back of ARC gets digital mixed (unique feature) into your headphone, you can use volume control on Xbox to manage Chat Party volume. Less messy than having 3 devices and many more cables.

Gaming Performance wise, ARC sounds better.

Now if you think you need to improve something in your chain... headphones man, those always make a bigger impact.
Beyerdynamic DT990 or Tygr 300 are worth to give it a shoot. Compare to HD660S, Beyer dynamics on competitive shooters its wider soundstage and very revealing imaging gives you an edge, however are bright and crisp, can tire your ears sooner than HD660S which are more relaxed and easier to hear on long periods of time.

iFi Zen CAN + External DAC + EQ like loki are great as entry level of HiRes music listening.

Using Zen CAN with XB Headphone Output is great option to use high impedance headphones, but doesn't beat Mayflowers, where the DAC makes a more precise sound picture, where you can distinguish every sound cue its position and texture, Zen CAN taking the sound from the controller DAC which is lower res... can't do much. But this setup is recommended if you want to keep VRR and 4K @120Hz.

Thank you for your replay Alan.

I will order and try the Beyerdynamic DT990 do you recommend the 250 ohm or 600 ohm?

If you use the startech.com audio extractor combined with the new LG monitors GP850 you dont loose VRR/Freesync on XBOX and keep 1440p x 120 hz. The option is no longer greyed out and according to the monitor FPS counter it is not locked on 60hz or 120hz! And the gameplay feels the same with the audio extractor :) So i can use the highres audio and still keep my VRR :)
« Last Edit: 02:32 PM - 09/15/21 by Walle90 »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
DT990 Pro - 250 Ohms is my go-to recommendation, there is a version all black same impedance with a straight cable which is more convenient than the coil one and less heavy.  :)

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
DT990 Pro - 250 Ohms is my go-to recommendation, there is a version all black same impedance with a straight cable which is more convenient than the coil one and less heavy.  :)

I returned the HD660S and bought the DT990 PRO 250 Ohms. Very happy with the trade and thank you for you help :)

What is the best way On Xbox Series X combined with the Mayflower ARC MK2 and the DT990 Pro to add EQ? Is the best way to go with Dolby Atmos or add a device in the chain? I want those footsteps to pop even more :) Really like the EQs from Emperor Potara but do understand that it is hard without the Astro Command Center?

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Well I think DT990 Pro + Arc without any EQ is enough to highlight footsteps.

If you want more, by the Dolby Atmos App and access to the built in EQ from XBox Series X, try emperor potara EQ for DT990 Pro there, is a similar (more powerful) Equalizer than Astro's. No need of another device and you can do more precise adjustments.

Schiit Loki or Bellari EQ570 knob Equalizer are easier to use, but very limited with one knob you can increase certain range of frequencies but ruin the rest of the sound.

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
Well I think DT990 Pro + Arc without any EQ is enough to highlight footsteps.

If you want more, by the Dolby Atmos App and access to the built in EQ from XBox Series X, try emperor potara EQ for DT990 Pro there, is a similar (more powerful) Equalizer than Astro's. No need of another device and you can do more precise adjustments.

Schiit Loki or Bellari EQ570 knob Equalizer are easier to use, but very limited with one knob you can increase certain range of frequencies but ruin the rest of the sound.

Wonderful, then I stick with the Dolby Atmos settings for the Mayflower Arc Mk2 and the DT990 Pro. Do you recommend using it with the surround virtualizer or leave it off?

Sorry for all the noob questions, just want to learn hehe :)

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
No problem.  ;)

Stereo always will give you better positional awareness. Surround makes everything mixed up.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
A MUST WATCH

THE BEST GAMING HEADPHONES don't matter by Crinacle

Enjoy!

Admin