XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229753 times)

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
Holy guacamole, hehe see? this is why is important to participate on the thread.

A fellow XIM gamer through a private question, made me remind something that completely overlook.

There is an alternative Using a Hi-Fi DAC on XBox Series X/S with VRR 120Hz support.

You need a Analog-To-Digital Converter, just the one we used for bring SPDIF to PS3 slim.
I had one on a turntable (play vinyl records).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATNWBZU/

+
Y RCA to 3.5mm cable.

Setting up
Y Headphone/Mic adapter[3.5mm TRRS male] ⇒ Xbox Controller[3.5mm In]
Y RCA-to-3.5mm[3.5mm male] ⇒ Y Headphone/Mic adapter[Headphone Out]
Y RCA-to-3.5mm[RCA L/R males] ⇒ Analog-to-Digital Converter [RCA L/R Inputs]
Analog-to-Digital Converter 5V USB plug to your console for power.
Analog-to-Digital Converter [SPDIF Out]  ⇒ DAC Optical/SPDIF Toslink Input

Make sure you set your console audio to Headset.
Party Chat Output = Headset
Speaker Audio = Stereo Uncompressed (bitstream 5.1/7.1 audio are not supported)
Headset format = Windows Sonic

Now we can use a resolving Hi-Fi DAC with SPDIF Input like SMSL M100 MK2, Schiit Modi 3, Mayflower ARC, JDS El DAC, etc. because audio goes through the controller VRR, 120Hz 1440p/4K will be available.

;D 8)

So this will fix the whole controller overriding the "standalone Dac / Topping D70s " issue? 

How would you adjust chat/game audio mix? In the Xbox menu I'm guessing.

Why Windows Sonic?

If we are converting the audio coming from the controller back to digital for our Dac (Example: Topping D70s)to convert...is there any reason we couldn't use the Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller Adapter Plus to adjust chat/game audio?

This eliminates the need for an audio extractor and Optical/SPDIF cable coming from the xbox? tThat means no direct audio source from xbox right? It'll all go thru controller?

Since the source audio is coming from the controller, would it be of any less quality?

If this allows people to effectively use their own Dacs, I believe we are beginning to find the end of the Xbox Audio Rabbit Hole 🤣.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

I have the same question, very interesting.  🤔
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Great Alan, but what is the best DAC to choose with this connection method (in order for the chat to work) under the Xbox Series X?  So that you can advise "the best choice".  (** DAC ????? / LOKI / IFI ZEN)?

** - Jds ell dac 2 & topping D70s ?  🤔**

hdmi Audio extractor, we won't be using it anymore, right?

Exactly, HDMI Audio Extractor is no needed.

Best DAC?, any Hi-Fi DAC is better than controller audio output.

Why Windows Sonic?
Outputs PCM Uncompressed Stereo, format required to run a Hi-Fi DAC's.

If we are converting the audio coming from the controller back to digital for our Dac (Example: Topping D70s)to convert...is there any reason we couldn't use the Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller Adapter Plus to adjust chat/game audio?
Yes, you can use Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller to adjust chat/game audio. I didn't mention because is not required. ;)

Since the source audio is coming from the controller, would it be of any less quality?
It depends on the ADC chip performance, many electronics has one: phone microphones, mics, DAC's with analog In, radios, etc.

The one on that specific converter is fitted for output sampling rate at 48 KHz uncompressed LPCM 2-channel, which is gaming console lossless default format.

Cheap ADC's introduce noise issues. I haven't try this Portta converter, however is the only one who asserts noise issue and treats it -I ordered one to try out, it is a reliable brand tho.  ;)

Regardless, I recommend power this converter with a low noise power supply, like an old genuine iPad charger.

« Last Edit: 03:15 PM - 07/29/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
I have a 12 years old Analog-To-Digital Converter which I use with my turntable and as a Burn-In station, doesn't have noise issues but I doubt you can find it.

I can't try it on my console at the moment, is on its day 2 of 3 Burn-in a DAC + Amp + Headphone :)

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: K9ozzy
Great Alan, but what is the best DAC to choose with this connection method (in order for the chat to work) under the Xbox Series X?  So that you can advise "the best choice".  (** DAC ????? / LOKI / IFI ZEN)?

** - Jds ell dac 2 & topping D70s ?  🤔**

hdmi Audio extractor, we won't be using it anymore, right?

Exactly, HDMI Audio Extractor is no needed.

Best DAC?, any Hi-Fi DAC is better than controller audio output.

Why Windows Sonic?
Outputs PCM Uncompressed Stereo, format required to run a Hi-Fi DAC's.

Yes, you can use Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller to adjust chat/game audio. I didn't mention because is not required. ;)

It depends on the ADC chip performance, many electronics has one: phone microphones, mics, DAC's with analog In, radios, etc.

The one on that specific converter is fitted for output sampling rate at 48 KHz uncompressed LPCM 2-channel, which is gaming console lossless default format.

Cheap ADC's introduce noise issues. I haven't try this Portta converter, however is the only one who asserts noise issue and treats it -I ordered one to try out, it is a reliable brand tho.  ;)

Regardless, I recommend power this converter with a low noise power supply, like an old genuine iPad charger.

If the chip in the controller is not as good a quality as the one in your Dac, will the audio only be as good as the controller chip allows, or will the much better chip in your Dac improve the audio beyond what the controller chip will allow.  We are not talking about diminishing returns here. Only if the controller chip limits the quality of the audio no matter what dac you have.  And I thought we were starting to find the bottom of this rabbit hole 🤣

Offline DanStealth

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: DanStealth
Iím using a sescom audio extractor and I get 1440p/120hz on the Xbox

No vrr but I didnít notice a difference as apex legends is capped at 60 anyway

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
If the chip in the controller is not as good a quality as the one in your Dac, will the audio only be as good as the controller chip allows, or will the much better chip in your Dac improve the audio beyond what the controller chip will allow.  We are not talking about diminishing returns here. Only if the controller chip limits the quality of the audio no matter what dac you have.  And I thought we were starting to find the bottom of this rabbit hole 🤣
Is just converting signals. Analog-to-Digital and Digital-to-Analog vice versa swing always deal with fidelity errors, starting from the soundtrack recording by a mic (ADC) to process into digital form for the game data. Higher resolution, better fidelity, just like picture.

For 48 000Hz sample rate (quality/fidelity) gives great high fidelity from the original source.

The loss of quality you are concern (rightfully so) is at 192 000Hz, sample rate our games doesn't hit.

HiRes Music does that's why say is not worthy overdoing with very expensive audio gear if is only for gaming.

Finally on these two scenarios:
A) Controller DAC + Amplifier: analog signal from the controller DAC which output has a narrow sound-stage, bloated, crowed sounds an amplifier don't fix anything just make that mess louder.

B) ADC to DAC + Amplifier, we are giving a music sheet (101011) to a better DAC it recreate sound then amplified.

B) is be better, it might not be 100% fidelity like the original source (at 48KHz is unnoticeable) but for certain is not subpar representation magnified due amplification of A).
« Last Edit: 12:18 PM - 07/30/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Iím using a sescom audio extractor and I get 1440p/120hz on the Xbox

No vrr but I didnít notice a difference as apex legends is capped at 60 anyway
That's right, at 60Hz you are not missing a thing; also is well known VRR introduces issues if you are doing streaming (capture card).

If you are concern of top performance, there is another thing (I hope DigitalFoundry look into), VRR as all adaptive sync technologies introduces Input Lag, different quantities depending the refresh rate.

When buying a new gaming monitor you should pay attention to it, RTings shows this data on they lab reviews.

Meaning you might thing this insane Dell Alienware 360Hz monitor 0.5 ms, 6ms display lag, is the fastest in the market, but if you play at 120Hz this value can go up to 16ms, while a 2.5x cheaper 144Hz Monitor does 7ms at 120Hz.

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
Here's an idea:

Instead of using the analog to digital converter off of the controller, why not try it off of the astro mixamp. Surely the audio chip in that thing is better than what's in the controller. Plus, I'd like to think you could still adjust the chat/game mix on the astro mixamp.  Thoughts?

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Sure you can do too, is same thing that Turtle Beach Headset Controller Plus or Astro M80.

But do not use bitstream on MixAmp.

And the Stream port might worth to try it, to avoid double amplification.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
    Oh, I donít know guys, Iíll stay on the mixamp for now ... I donít want to look for problems again ... Maybe somehow, but not now.
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
Here's an idea:

Instead of using the analog to digital converter off of the controller, why not try it off of the astro mixamp. Surely the audio chip in that thing is better than what's in the controller. Plus, I'd like to think you could still adjust the chat/game mix on the astro mixamp.  Thoughts?

Should not the Astro Mixamp work with Xbox thru USB? Or is the sound not the same thru USB than optical/aux? Just wondering. Was thinking of buying a mixamp :)

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Should not the Astro Mixamp work with Xbox thru USB? Or is the sound not the same thru USB than optical/aux? Just wondering. Was thinking of buying a mixamp :)
On USB Game audio is OK, game/voice balance won't work.

MixAmp M80 works, not sure on its XIM compatibility ???. If someone I've tried, please let's us know.  ;)
« Last Edit: 03:18 PM - 07/31/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile

MixAmp M80 works, not sure on its XIM compatibility ???. If someone I've tried, please let's us know.  ;)

Alan, my friend, forgive me, of course, for the constant questions to you.  But again, I am confusing you with my question.  A friend of mine is in dire need of headphones - wireless for the xbox X series, priced under $ 230.  Help out with advice?  🤗

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
I'm loving the Schiit Lokius.  The 2 extra equalizer knobs makes a difference in fine tuning the sound how I want.  For fun I can also make the rifles in pubg have a very pronounced  "thump" without it being muddy or losing any detail like footsteps and mag changes.  I'm liking the EQ bands they chose for the 6 knobs. If youd like to fine tune your gaming audio I recommend the Schiit Loki or the Schiit Lokius.  I've thoroughly enjoyed both.  Oh and they can give you a competitive edge by fine tuning the audio to really make those footsteps "pop".  Good luck out there.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile

Alan, my friend, forgive me, of course, for the constant questions to you.  But again, I am confusing you with my question.  A friend of mine is in dire need of headphones - wireless for the xbox X series, priced under $ 230.  Help out with advice?  🤗
I'm not a wireless user, trade-off between sound quality hit for mobility is not negotiable for me. Added to the annoyance of having something else to charge... often.

I tried my niece Corsair virtuoso pearl once, it was decent: very good for a wireless, mic sounds fine too. She plays on PS4 and listen music on her phone, is not compatible with Xbox though.

Sorry I can't help you more than this  :-[

Admin