XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229799 times)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Hi Alan I've heard your the man to come to regarding audio! So here I am, currently I'm playing on a PS5 with Astro A40s TR + mixamp and HDMI splitter from Astro.

I'm going to move on over to Xbox series x once I can get a hold of 1 at RRP.

What sort of setup would you suggest I get? Ideally I want something that sounds good & has good EQ that I can use a good footstep config with. I only play PvP games so footsteps is very important. Price wise I'd be looking at something around 200-250. Was reading posts about loosing VRR with some splitters, I want VRR to work

I also use a avermedia live gamer ultra as I stream every now n then so hopefully nothing will conflict.

Welcome Brooker88:), thanks for your comments; glad I can help.

250 a tight budget, let's see.

Setup A:
Headphones: SHP9500 80 (*57 on Aliexpress)
Mic: Mod Mic Uni 40
DAC: Astro M80 60
Total: *157 - 180

What you get: Great sounding, better than A40 for sure; EQ capability you can find Emperor Potara MixAmp EQ for SHP9500, for competitive gaming - footstep detection, music/movies and natural listening. Chat Mix and, solid mic performance, I prefer this over V-Moda usually paired with SHP9500, because you can use it with any headphone or amp in the future.

By going through the controller you keep VRR 120Hz at 1440p or 4K. Those headphones are easy to drive no headphone amp required.

Setup B:
Headphones: Sennheiser HD560S 140
Mic: Mod Mic Uni 40
DAC: Turtle Beach Headset Controller Plus 24
Headphone Amp:
Topping L30: 150
or
Monolith Liquid Spark: 115

Total, about: 315 - 350

What you get: Wider and more precise sound-stage than above, you can hear clearly more sounds around you and more precisely its distance. Excellent foot detection, H560S by themselves are pretty good to highlight these but in case you want more, enable the footsteps detection button on the Turtle Beach Controller, don't think you need but yeah. Sounds above and below are more distinguishable, less fatiguing recommended for Battle royale or frenetic FPS like CoD and Battlefield with many things happen around you.

Same you keep VRR support, 120Hz on 1440p or 4K.

Notice: Turtle Beach Controller is the cheapest option as a DAC, requires XBox One controller to work properly on Series X/S. Stretching the budget Astro M80 will be a best fit for what you are asking for.

However both DAC's doesn't have power to drive HD560S good entry level headphone amp is required. Monolith is pretty good you can find it easily, Schiit Magni 3 or JDS Atom are choices don't know if price gets elevated due imports.

Topping L30 has wider distribution is the best AMP on that price range, but there is a issue ongoing that first batch blow headphones/ears on many customers. Ahoshida Audio they sell new models with the issue fixed. iFi Zen CAN is better than Topping, has no issues, but is more expensive maybe you find it on better price because is British made.

Setting Up
You need a Y headphone and Mic female to male 3.5mm TRRS adapter.
*MAKE SURE: Enable Audio Support on XIM, at the XIM Manager*

Setup A
Astro M80 ⇒ Xbox Controller
Y Headphone/Mic adapter [3.5mm male] ⇒ Astro M80 [3.5mm TRRS In]
ModMic Uni [3.5mm male] ⇒ Y adapter Mic In
SHP9500 ⇒ Y adapter Headphone Out

Setup B
TB Headset Controller Plus ⇒ Xbox One Controller
Y Headphone/Mic adapter 3.5mm TRSS male ⇒ TB Headset Controller Plus 3.5mm in.
ModMic Uni [3.5mm male] ⇒ Y adapter Mic In
Y Adapter RCA to 3.5mm [3.5mm male] ⇒ Y adapter Headphone Out
Y Adapter RCA males ⇒ Headphone Amp RCA In
HD560S ⇒  Headphone Amp - Headphone Out.

Hope it helps!  8) ;)
« Last Edit: 07:26 PM - 07/25/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Forgot to mention, in case you kept PS5 and MixAmp SHP9500 or HD560S (+ Headphone Amp) will work with it, too.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
Hi Alan I've heard your the man to come to regarding audio! So here I am, currently I'm playing on a PS5 with Astro A40s TR + mixamp and HDMI splitter from Astro.

I'm going to move on over to Xbox series x once I can get a hold of 1 at RRP.

What sort of setup would you suggest I get? Ideally I want something that sounds good & has good EQ that I can use a good footstep config with. I only play PvP games so footsteps is very important. Price wise I'd be looking at something around 200-250. Was reading posts about loosing VRR with some splitters, I want VRR to work

I also use a avermedia live gamer ultra as I stream every now n then so hopefully nothing will conflict.
Hello, Alan is a very smart young man, who can help you!  He also helped me in the assembly for the Xbox series X, I like you play shooters, at the moment I play: pubg, (then I plan to move to the new battlefield 2042), and then it will be seen 😊).  Personally, my setup is the same as in my signature on this forum (right now I use: Mix Amp pro, tr / hdmi audio extractor / shiit loki mini + / iFi Zen Can) I have headphones from bayerdynamic dt 990 pro, microphone from Audio-Technica  ATGm -2.  this is probably the maximum for me =) everything I wanted, I got.

Thank you for the response, in which order are these devices plugged in? Also does vrr & 120hz at 1080p/1440p work?

Now I cannot answer this, as soon as there is an opportunity, I will write to you.
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Alan, I have a 144 hertz monitor with hdmi 2.1 on the way.  Please advise the hdmi 2.1 cable (from the extractor to the monitor) from the Xbox to the extractor, I have a standard 2.1, which was included in the xbox Series X package.
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline Brooker88

• View Profile
Thank you so much for the reply Alan, much appreciated.
| PS5 | Razer Huntsman TE | G Pro wireless 25.6k DPI | Sync' OFF | LG 24GL600F 144hz 1080p | G440 Hard mat | Xim/Mouse 1000hz |

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Alan, I have a 144 hertz monitor with hdmi 2.1 on the way.  Please advise the hdmi 2.1 cable (from the extractor to the monitor) from the Xbox to the extractor, I have a standard 2.1, which was included in the xbox Series X package.
Wait for the Monitor, should come with a proper HDMI 2.1 cable.  :)

Thank you so much for the reply Alan, much appreciated.
No problem  ;)

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Wait for the Monitor, should come with a proper HDMI 2.1 cable.  :)

Thank you, I hope he will be there 😊

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Maybe if you download the product manual, you can see what is in the bundle, or at its website.

I mean, if you are paying for a monitor and no HDMI cable comes with... that's talks pretty bad of its brand.
Where else they cut corners that can potentially hinder customer experience? - just sayin'.  ???

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: K9ozzy
That new Schiit Lokius's 5th band is for 6khz 😉

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
That new Schiit Lokius's 5th band is for 6khz 😉

Would you like to test it?

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Actually you can buy the Dolby Atmos Access and use its 10 band EQ, that makes Loki unnecessary.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Holy guacamole, hehe see? this is why is important to participate on the thread.

A fellow XIM gamer through a private question, made me remind something that completely overlook.

There is an alternative Using a Hi-Fi DAC on XBox Series X/S with VRR 120Hz support.

You need a Analog-To-Digital Converter, just the one we used for bring SPDIF to PS3 slim.
I had one on a turntable (play vinyl records).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ATNWBZU/

+
Y RCA to 3.5mm cable.

Setting up
Y Headphone/Mic adapter[3.5mm TRRS male] ⇒ Xbox Controller[3.5mm In]
Y RCA-to-3.5mm[3.5mm male] ⇒ Y Headphone/Mic adapter[Headphone Out]
Y RCA-to-3.5mm[RCA L/R males] ⇒ Analog-to-Digital Converter [RCA L/R Inputs]
Analog-to-Digital Converter 5V USB plug to your console for power.
Analog-to-Digital Converter [SPDIF Out]  ⇒ DAC Optical/SPDIF Toslink Input

Make sure you set your console audio to Headset.
Party Chat Output = Headset
Speaker Audio = Stereo Uncompressed (bitstream 5.1/7.1 audio are not supported)
Headset format = Windows Sonic

Now we can use a resolving Hi-Fi DAC with SPDIF Input like SMSL M100 MK2, Schiit Modi 3, Mayflower ARC, JDS El DAC, etc. because audio goes through the controller VRR, 120Hz 1440p/4K will be available.

;D 8)

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
Actually you can buy the Dolby Atmos Access and use its 10 band EQ, that makes Loki unnecessary.

Yeah but there's something about having dials, being able to reach over and make adjustments on the fly in game hearing the adjustments as I do it, and not having to go thru some menus and trying to hear the difference when I go back into the game.  Plus I just love it. I think it's cool. There are definitely more effective alternatives out there

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Holy guacamole, hehe see? this is why is important to participate on the thread.

A fellow XIM gamer through a private question, made me remind something that completely overlook.

There is an alternative Using a Hi-Fi DAC on XBox Series X/S with VRR 120Hz support.

You need a Analog-To-Digital Converter, just the one we used for bring SPDIF to PS3 slim.

+
Y RCA to 3.5mm cable.

Setting up

Now we can use a resolving Hi-Fi DAC with SPDIF Input like SMSL M100 MK2, Schiit Modi 3, Mayflower ARC, JDS El DAC, etc. because audio goes through the controller VRR, 120Hz 1440p/4K will be available.

;D 8)

Great Alan, but what is the best DAC to choose with this connection method (in order for the chat to work) under the Xbox Series X?  So that you can advise "the best choice".  (** DAC ????? / LOKI / IFI ZEN)?

** - Jds ell dac 2 & topping D70s ?  🤔**

hdmi Audio extractor, we won't be using it anymore, right?

« Last Edit: 11:14 AM - 07/29/21 by Roman_M »

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile

+
Y RCA to 3.5mm cable.

Setting up

;D 8)

So this will fix the whole controller overriding the "standalone Dac / Topping D70s " issue? 

How would you adjust chat/game audio mix? In the Xbox menu I'm guessing.

Why Windows Sonic?

If we are converting the audio coming from the controller back to digital for our Dac (Example: Topping D70s)to convert...is there any reason we couldn't use the Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller Adapter Plus to adjust chat/game audio?

This eliminates the need for an audio extractor and Optical/SPDIF cable coming from the xbox? tThat means no direct audio source from xbox right? It'll all go thru controller?

Since the source audio is coming from the controller, would it be of any less quality?

If this allows people to effectively use their own Dacs, I believe we are beginning to find the end of the Xbox Audio Rabbit Hole 🤣.  Where there's a will, there's a way.

Admin