XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 205453 times)

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Is it possible to buy this HDMI Splitter https://www.hdtvsupply.com/8k-1x2-hdmi-splitter.html and connect a HDMI 2.0B Audio extractor to one output and the monitor to the other output? (1440p 120hz) want to keep the VRR 8) Am I able to accomplish that with this HDMI splitter?

Walle90, welcome!  :)

It won't work, unfortunately the HDMI 2.0b Audio Extractor will no bring VRR support.

Is very confusing now, as far I knew VRR Support was exclusive on HDMI 2.1. Then I tried Dell S2721DGF (HDMI 2.0b) and I got VRR on my XBSX via HDMI 2.0b cable.

A few weeks ago I receive: LG27GP850, try it: no VRR support, even though the monitor supports it. I was using the HDMI 2.0b cable from Dells monitor, switch it for HDMI2.1 cable from XBSX and VRR was back.

So, in the future for any HDMI switcher, splitter, extractor I will check that VRR support is mention and not assume that comes with the HDMI version.

Workaround for your question, use a HDMI splitter 2.0b. At the moment, in order to keep VRR, use a DAC that goes through the controller like Turtle Beach Headset Controller Plus, Astro M80 and pair it with a good headphone amp if your headphones need it.

Offline Rockyruption

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Rockyruption
Hi Rockyruption!, thanks for your comments.

Well, thread started as stop to share MixAmp EQs and grew out of proportion, didn't knew were many XIM gamers ready to go to the next level on audio fidelity and many more already in the journey; glad that we can help you out.

All right, short version:
- MixAmp, great all-in-all device. If you like surround sound for immersion and team chat is a must, definitely is a great choice.

- A40's its headset: not good enough. If you buy an entry level Hi-Fi headphone (SHP9500) your sound quality and experience it will improve drastically, but MixAmp DAC/Amp comes tuned to work with A40's headset is a symbiotic relationship, in order to make those Hi-Fi headphones sound its best you need tune MixAmp for it.

Hence Emperor Potara Discord where you can find many EQ tunes for different headphones. Yes, he has one already for your HyperX Cloud Alphas:)

By the way, HyperX Cloud Alphas are not a normal gaming headset, those had Hi-Fi Pedigree. HyperX was savy enough and what the did is they took a entry level Hi-Fi very good performer:
Takstar Pro 80 Headphone

and turn it on a Headset, now its headsets is one of their best on gaming, Cooler Master follow the path did same with MH751 also pretty good.

So you did it right, those had good fun bass and present middles.

However... for competitive gaming: sound whoring, hearing footsteps, figure enemy position etc. you can do better.  For that, we ask to a headphone is to have: crystal clear treble, distinguishable high mid-range and very precise sound imaging.

Cloud Alphas are not like that, we can make them sound like that using EQ through MixAmp or Schiit Loki or Rolls EQ570,

or...

You can pick up a headphone that sounds like that, like Philips SHP9500, Status Audio CB-1 (Closed back) or if your budget allows it, the sub-marine radar footsteps detector: Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro $280 best on its class, up to par vs $1500 cans.

My suggestion if you are on a budget, search on second hand market, open box etc, warehouse deals, etc, you can find these on a good price, the thing is... they are so crystal clear and sharp that many people (used to bass and soft headphones) dislike them and sell it.

However, these 250Ohms headphones requires a good headphone amp you can find a decent one from $100 USD:
Topping L30
Schitt Magni 3
JDS Atom
Liquid Spark
and for $50+ our new favorite: iFi Zen CAN.

Then you need a microphone: ModMic Uni, Audio Technica ATGM2. And you are set.

So, here are the paths:
A) Get a MixAmp DAC/Amp (buy the unit only save some money) try EQ for your alphas.

A+) Get MixAmp + SHP9500 + ModMic/ATGM2 Uni try its EQ's

B) Get DT990 Pro + 100 Headphone Amp + ModMic/ATGM2.

A+ is pretty good already, gives you footsteps, surround, chat mix.

B is in another level, you lose surround, which you don't need for competitive gaming, normal chat audio but you no only a headphone... a freaking weapon to detect enemies positioning and footsteps accurately, so good that it can makes you think you are on a unfair advantage.... and you are, maybe more than having a XIM.

B) require higher budget yes, but from experience I can tell you by pay for the best fail-proof, you are saving over buying many cheap ones and not getting quite there.

As you can see there isn't a DAC on the chain or something to manipulate frequencies... you can wait for that upgrade it will be worthy, but DT990pros sound signature is a unbeatable footsteps detector.

There is another variant Beyerdynamics TYGR 300 R, these are a more tame DT990pros actually same effective imaging  but its treble is more soft and gentle, you can wear them for longer time... DT990 pros while are good can hurt its brightness.

Beyerdynamics TYGR 300 R are cheaper $200 USD but harder to find. If you can get them, take them over the DT990 Pros.

Hope it helps!

Wow - you are a true legend and a gentleman! Thank you for the amazing response. I'll be sure to shout you a brew if ever the stars align right, and I get a chance to thank you in person.

You've given some great options here - exactly what I was after! Just bought a new monitor today (Dell S2721DGF) to try 120Hz gaming on the series X for the first time. Next fortnight, I'll look at the audio options, but I think I'll jump straight into option B above. I'll give an update here once I have it all...can not wait!

Thank you again!

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Awesome, that's a great monitor top class for XBSX. Its headphone out (down left corner) is pretty clean you can connect a headphone amp there.

OK, let's us know how well are you doing.

Have fun!

Offline Roman_M

• Delayed hope makes the heart sick
    • View Profile
Shiit loki + gets very hot, I was really excited for the first time ... I thought what happened, why this box is so hot, you can't directly touch it))))) it's true.
- Xbox series X ✓
- Xbox elite series 2 ✓
- Jds ell dac 2 ✓
- Jds atom amp ✓
- Insignia audio extractor ✓
- bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓
- Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓
- ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓
- Shiit loki+ ✓
- iFi Zen Can ✓

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Shiit loki + gets very hot, I was really excited for the first time ... I thought what happened, why this box is so hot, you can't directly touch it))))) it's true.
Do you have it on direct contact with iFi Zen CAN? because that one is a Class A Amp it gets really hot (that's the nature of the beast).

I use a Aluminum tray shelf to stack it in my audio gear, helps for heat dissipation but it gets warmer.

Offline Roman_M

• View Profile
Do you have it on direct contact with iFi Zen CAN? because that one is a Class A Amp it gets really hot (that's the nature of the beast).

I use a Aluminum tray shelf to stack it in my audio gear, helps for heat dissipation but it gets warmer.

no, when even before buying iFi, I used jds atom.
- Xbox series X ✓
- Xbox elite series 2 ✓
- Jds ell dac 2 ✓
- Jds atom amp ✓
- Shiit loki+ ✓
- iFi Zen Can ✓

Offline Roman_M

• View Profile

A new loki has been released, with additional, two frequency regulators.  But the little "mini loki +" is enough for me
- Xbox series X ✓
- Xbox elite series 2 ✓
- Jds ell dac 2 ✓
- Jds atom amp ✓
- Shiit loki+ ✓
- iFi Zen Can ✓

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: K9ozzy
Are Hart audio cables any good

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile

A new loki has been released, with additional, two frequency regulators.  But the little "mini loki +" is enough for me
Is meant for a different tier setup, an EQ with balanced In/Out.

10 Band Equalizer seems a better fit. Hardware knob equalizers are practical; Parametric Equalizers are much more powerful and versatile, would love one on a stack-able device ready to setup on-the-fly from a phone/table on this price range.

In fact, MixAmp's 5 band parametric equalizer is way better than a 5/6 bands knob one.

Are Hart audio cables any good
I haven't tried it. Seems well built but, there is no info on its materials and construction or performance charts.

About Cables
In summary, cables does make a difference but is not worth to spent a small fortune on it if your gear is not up to par. Always just choose the ones that doesn't bottleneck or hinders sound quality (muddy bass, shrill treble).

$20 to 40 USD, OCC, silver plated, sturdy metal connectors, above 22AWG and very good shielding, are the sweet spot for devices from $100USD to $1000USD.

You can go ahead and get a $60 or $200 USD cables for $700+ USD gear it will make a small difference but you are most certain you are getting the best performance on you high tier equipment.

Using on a $60-$200 quality cables on $100-$700 equipment you won't tell a difference from the $20 to $60 ones, diminish returns.

For headphones, is a bit more controversial it supposed the cable that comes with your headphone is certified that it won't hinder its product performance (true for Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic), you might require a third party due comfort, aesthetic, size or plugs.

For USB, silver coated, best than average shielded cables do make a very noticeable difference.

Hart seems pretty well put together, tho... check their warranty offering ,

I'm a wild man... got my cables without warranty hand-made built by chinese fellas, from Alli-express, which shipments had a 60% possibility to no arrive to Mexico ;)
« Last Edit: 11:52 AM - 07/24/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Roman_M

• View Profile
Alan you do not know anything about the new MixАmp?  Does the Company plan to release a more powerful, productive mixАmp?  Make a replacement pro.  ?  What do you think about it?  and what other options could there be, what to expect ... Or not to expect from Astro?
 I would like to be the first to hear from you about the news.  You are our "sound idol" :)
 🤗
- Xbox series X ✓
- Xbox elite series 2 ✓
- Jds ell dac 2 ✓
- Jds atom amp ✓
- Shiit loki+ ✓
- iFi Zen Can ✓

Admin