XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229187 times)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Congrats K9ozzy:D

Definitely an endgame headphone for what you are looking for.  ;D

I enjoyed mines the time we were together, until I meet: HiFiMan Ayra  :-[, its sound-stage and sound attributes fit better for what I'm asking on a wide sound-stage musical headphone, gaming wise I think HD800S might be better.

Medium and more realistic sound-stage works better for me, like the one is generated by headphones such as: DT990 Pro and DT880 Premium.

Sennheiser HD800S magnified/artificial sound-stage has this "inverse side mirror effect" on me.

Objects in the game, are farther than they appear same with AKG K712 Pro in a smaller degree. However, what make me look for something else was a random harsh and painful treble spike at 4KHz and the inconsistency of the headphone cup: sound change too much depending how they are seated on your head.

Don't get me wrong, HD800S are fantastic headphones: unique, they worth every penny.

All headphones had a "honey moon period", none is perfect. Once that phase is over... you start to see/hear its flaws, made the choice if are the right fit for your ears; which workarounds are feasible or if you can find a better option for you. That's for all headphones, my friends.

If fit is problematic... try to stretch them with a sneaker cardboard box, try different pads, headband etc.

If is its frequency response (how they sound), EQ is a resource but, this is my personal opinion, you shouldn't be in the need of EQ a $1000+ usd headphone. I'm all-in with EQ when you take a $200 - $400 headphone and fix or tweak and improve some sound traits that make them closer to a $1200+, because you are making compromises. Top tier headphone you should get what your asking and paying for, out of the box, you shouldn't need to EQ it to enjoy them, nor different pads or cables. That's just me.

Back to the HD800S, these cans were engineered specially to bring you a more immersive sound, are a physical surround gadget, that's why they are so sensible to its positioning. Added drivers were tune in a special way to recreate a spatial sound. We can see this proprietary driver tune technology in a smaller drivers like the GSP600 and GSP500 which combine with a fantastic surround binaural base processor like the GSX1000 you get something one of the best headphone simulated surround experiences on the market. Unfortunately, only for PC. With HD800S you don't need any gizmo, HD800S is true magic by itself.

Yesterday I receive from Drop: Sennheiser + Drop PC38x , I tried a little bit, run my intro audio-test: I'm pretty stoked. I know these are using the same spacial tuned drivers from GSP600/500 but man they sound so different, better different; someone at Drop is doing alchemy. Review coming.

Back again to the HD800S, so as I said... you do not need an Surround sound processor AT ALL, is like adding extra salt and oil to a tasty bacon, don't!

Wide sound-stage focus headphones like: HD800S, Ayra, LCD-4, LCD-GX, etc, to get the most of it, these need a DAC with at least one DAC chip per channel, aka DUAL CHIPSET DAC's. These are expensive above $500 and need an AMP. On K9ozzy case is all set.

K9ozzy my suggestions are:
Budget wise, incredible improved sound-stage and spacial representation:
Topping D30 Pro - $400 usd, this one uses 4 DAC chips, 2 for each channel. After AKM factory was destroyed for a fire, Topping came up with these DAC design using 4 Cirrus-Logic entry-level chips to achieve similar sound-stage of $800 DACs. Besides of its wide sound-stage, D30 Pro is accurate, analytical and detail.

Another great option and warmer (better bass) same great soundstage is:
Soncoz Flagship: SGD1.

It has amazing measurements for cross-talk, smooth frequency response; is a better built product than D30 Pro, it has linear power supply for each channel, which is unheard of on these price range. Dual DAC chipset uses SABRE ES9038Q2M (mid-range) - this is my top recommendation its warmer and softer DAC properties can be a better fit for an accurate, analytical and cold nature of the HD800S. Is around $400 usd.

Another one which is pretty good is the THX Monolith DAC/Amp, includes 789 Amplification, is based on Dual AKM entry level chipsets, and offers the DIRAC Sensaround, which is an amazing binaural surround processing. Unfortunately is out of production.

The Topping D70S is the best of the bunch for dual chipset design but it has a very low availability, and might be out of production as well, why? because is using Top-tier AKM DAC chipsets, as I mentioned, they are out of stock and out of production because their factory burned down to the ground... completely. MSRP was $530 now is around $650 to $1200. $650 is quite pricey but I think it worth every penny, - heck! even $800. D70S is an analytical, detail and precise, not sure how harsh can get with the HD800S of similar traits, can be improved boosted or exacerbated.

And finally, for a warmer top tier more available yet expensive option, will be something like the Denafrips Ares II which doesn't use DAC Chips... is made as the old time Hi-Fi devices base on: R-2R DAC technology. Which it has a different sound representation

And analogy is: DAC chipsets create sound are like we see digital movies... very accurate, vivid, sharp colors, like Avengers Endgame. While R-2R creates a more artistic, grainy image like you see on film movies, like Braveheart or 2001 Space Odyssey.

And that's it, I hope all these is useful :D
« Last Edit: 03:25 PM - 07/06/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
How the sound of the headphone output of a HTS compares with a dedicated DAC + AMP combo? Have you tried this?
Sure, I tried... I mean when you pay for $1000 you should try everything they can get you to get the most of your money right?

However, these are not up to par... and it make sense... who will pay for a 7+ channel device to use headphones. So the manufactures they don't pay attention to it.

Like on a Marantz SR7012 its headphone dac is beaten for a dedicated $200 Chip based DAC, is similar to a $100, like Schiit Modi's, that entry level range, but with lot of noise and input impedance (bad impedance, performance leak). They actually had its own separate headphone AMP and DAC's line-up. Headphone drivers are way different to speakers, basically the noise and circuitry needed to power speaker channel is not optimal for headphones.

Actually top Audiophile AVR's don't even offer headphone outputs.
« Last Edit: 03:26 PM - 07/06/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline russellkao

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: kaowenwei
Hi alanmcgregor

Now I'm consider for what audio device i have to invest , then have some choice on the market

1. Astro gaming Mixamp / 2. Sennheiser GSX 1200 /3. Creative sound blasterx g6 /4. Sound Blaster GC7

Do you have any experience for using those other product like Creative or Sennheiser

Actually I have not really get the point about the different between Mixamp and Gaming Dac

For me I'm the console user both have PS5 and Xbox Series using the Logitech G331 headset

and purpose only want to more clear sound could hear the footsteps

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
How the sound of the headphone output of a HTS compares with a dedicated DAC + AMP combo? Have you tried this?
Sure, I tried... I mean when you pay for $1000 you should try everything they can get you to get the most of your money right?

However, these are not up to par... and it make sense... who will pay for a 7+ channel device to use headphones. So the manufactures they don't pay attention to it.

Like on a Marantz SR7012 its headphone dac is beaten for a dedicated $200 Chip based DAC, is similar to a $100, like Schiit Modi's, that entry level range, but with lot of noise and input impedance (bad impedance, performance leak). They actually had its own separate headphone AMP and DAC's line-up. Headphone drivers are way different to speakers, basically the noise and circuitry needed to power speaker channel is not optimal for headphones.

Actually top Audiophile AVR's don't even offer headphone outputs.

Hello Alan.  I want to hear your word.  Now I have a bunch of: mixAmp tr pro gen4, shiit loki +, jds atom amp.  But I want to get more from my amplifier, so I want to buy this one, would you advise me to buy this one?  What do you think Alan is worth his money?  Or stay on the old (jds)?

Jds atom amp / iFi Zen Can,  or ZEN CAN Signature 6XX ?
 - I want something better from this, what do you recommend?  Thanks for coming.
« Last Edit: 11:47 AM - 07/09/21 by Roman_M »
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Do you have any experience for using those other product like Creative or Sennheiser
I have...plenty, long time user Creative Soundblaster, currently I own a Sound BlasterX G6. I use GSX1000 on my laptop.

Sennheiser in particular, I worked with a research team for its hearing aid division, long time ago. Consumer wise, I'm familiar with its gaming offerings.

Actually I have not really get the point about the different between Mixamp and Gaming Dac
MixAmp is a gaming DAC, pretty good one, with many attractive features like:
+ Chat and Gaming Audio Mix
+ Dolby Digital Surround support
+ A small parametric Equalizer, which is pretty helpful to tweak how your headphones sounds to make more audible some frequencies like footsteps. That was the original idea of this thread to share this EQ profiles for many headphones, because the A40 that came with MixAmp are pretty bad.

A DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) is an device that Converts Digital signal (101001 binary) to Analog Signal (Sound waves). For audio, the quality and performance of a DAC is represented on how accurate, resolving and recreates sound.
Every device on your life, with a Audio plug as a DAC. When is a very basic DAC(like the one where you plug your headset to the controller) the sound that produces feels very crowded, and inside in your head, audio frequencies are all mess and mix together, some absent, that's why you struggle to hear footsteps.

Some gaming DAC has "footsteps detection" or "game sense feature" which is a gizmo to highlight and make louder those frequencies, is handy and maybe all you need, but if your headset is pretty bad, by its own, to reproduce those  frequencies it won't make a big difference. So a decent headphone is pretty important, i will say it comes first, then a decent DAC.

Most gaming headphones/headsets like Logitech G331, are design to sound very bass heavy and soft treble, is called V shape, unfortunately the frequencies where the footsteps are, are in the dip of the V, you can't hear them properly they got veil by a boomy low end or harsh artificial treble.

High-end and pricey gaming headphones, are better to separate those frequencies, so you can distinguish where your friendlies are, where the enemies are coming from, explosions, enemy reloading around a corner, walking ontop of your position, etc. for above $299 usd you get that performance... or get something even better that was specifically design to hear every sound detail, an audio studio headphone for only $60

And that's why we keep encouraging everybody to get better headphones, hi-fi, studio grade or audiophile over gaming offerings, a very few are pretty good and guess why? because they are audiophile headphones rebranded as a gaming ones, audiophile pedigree.

So, get better headphones. My go-to suggestion:

Philips SHP9500 - Link $80 usd

Get a V-Moda Boom mic $20 to turn it on a headset.

For $100 you are getting a headset that sounds better than a most gaming headset around $200, and a fantastic headphone for music on the go.

I can't not recommend any DAC up to this point, because it won't make any money-worth difference on your G331.

But I can guarantee you the SHP9500, worth every single penny and it will give you an edge to hearing footsteps and enemies positioning.

Then... once you can/want, get a decent Hi-Fi DAC and its sound performance will be unleashed, even better, because this cans scale... better audio equiptment, more detail and resolving they are, like increasing screen resolution.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hello Alan.  I want to hear your word.  Now I have a bunch of: mixAmp tr pro gen4, shiit loki +, jds atom amp.  But I want to get more from my amplifier, so I want to buy this one, would you advise me to buy this one?  What do you think Alan is worth his money?  Or stay on the old (jds)?

Hey!  :)

OK, going from JDS Atom to iFi Zen CAN?, both pretty good headphone AMPs.

My current test bench setup

again which headphones are you using?
If you need more amplification, iFi Zen CAN definitely is more powerful, than JDS Atom.

Zen CAN and Drop Zen CAN Signature are the same, the only difference: Signature bass boost is tuned specifically for the Sennheiser HD6XX headphones sold by Drop. HD6XX are HD600 with more bass, ZEN signature adds just a little bit more. The regular ZEN CAN bass boost adds more bass it can be too much for the 6XX but very subtle and nice for any other headphone.

See a headphone AMP doesn't change the sound as much as a DAC, it shouldn't technically is not as easy because a DAC does all digital processing, AMP only amplifies the analog signal, it can make it sound "warmer" (softer pleasant) or "cold" (analytical, more detail), but just a bit.

However, iFi is doing something very unique and weird on the Bass Boost and specially with its 3D, button. These are changing the sound on the analog domain, which means is very organic natural without distortion.

Bass Boost is only more punchy bass but subtle, not over done.

3D makes an holographic effect on mid-range, a way to put it on words will be:
you are hearing a song and you hear the singer very close to you, like you are the microphone and is singing in your face, press the 3D button and the singer goes 2-3 feet away, you are not a microphone on an studio anymore... you are more like seated on the 3rd row on a small room with the singer and the band in the background.

For gaming, generally footsteps are in the same frequency as vocals in music... so it is a hit or miss effect. Is great for wide soundstage games like warzone, pubg, single players... but for very chaotic battlefield environments where many things going around you, explosions, vehicles; I'm not sure.

As far I tested 3D effect does this to headphones with:
Regular mid-range performance: 3D tends to improve it.
Strong very present mid-range: 3D tends to turn it on wider sound-stage and sometimes like god voice.
Weak mid-range: 3D tends to move its position on-top of your head.

So there you go, that will be what you might get with Zen CAN over JDS Atom.

But, analyzing your audio setup what I'm seeing is someone who is not happy with its sound quality, that schiit Loki makes me think you are EQ on attempt to improve your sound.

I think you have a DT990 Pros, right? those are power-hungry headphones i can see the need for a more powerful AMP, but that MixAmp right there... is a funnel, a sound performance bottleneck for those headphones.

If you want to improve your sound and you already own Hi-Fi headphones, go for a better DAC. Something analytical and open like SMSL M100 or Topping D30 will be a killer footsteps-detection hack with DT990Pros, if you can handle high treble.

« Last Edit: 01:36 PM - 07/09/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile

Hey!  :)

OK, going from JDS Atom to iFi Zen CAN?, both pretty good headphone AMPs.

My current test bench setup

again which headphones are you using?
If you need more amplification, iFi Zen CAN definitely is more powerful, than JDS Atom.

Zen CAN and Drop Zen CAN Signature are the same, the only difference: Signature bass boost is tuned specifically for the Sennheiser HD6XX headphones sold by Drop. HD6XX are HD600 with more bass, ZEN signature adds just a little bit more. The regular ZEN CAN bass boost adds more bass it can be too much for the 6XX but very subtle and nice for any other headphone.

See a headphone AMP doesn't change the sound as much as a DAC, it shouldn't technically is not as easy because a DAC does all digital processing, AMP only amplifies the analog signal, it can make it sound "warmer" (softer pleasant) or "cold" (analytical, more detail), but just a bit.

However, iFi is doing something very unique and weird on the Bass Boost and specially with its 3D, button. These are changing the sound on the analog domain, which means is very organic natural without distortion.

Bass Boost is only more punchy bass but subtle, not over done.

3D makes an holographic effect on mid-range, a way to put it on words will be:
you are hearing a song and you hear the singer very close to you, like you are the microphone and is singing in your face, press the 3D button and the singer goes 2-3 feet away, you are not a microphone on an studio anymore... you are more like seated on the 3rd row on a small room with the singer and the band in the background.

For gaming, generally footsteps are in the same frequency as vocals in music... so it is a hit or miss effect. Is great for wide soundstage games like warzone, pubg, single players... but for very chaotic battlefield environments where many things going around you, explosions, vehicles; I'm not sure.

As far I tested 3D effect does this to headphones with:
Regular mid-range performance: 3D tends to improve it.
Strong very present mid-range: 3D tends to turn it on wider sound-stage and sometimes like god voice.
Weak mid-range: 3D tends to move its position on-top of your head.

So there you go, that will be what you might get with Zen CAN over JDS Atom.

But, analyzing your audio setup what I'm seeing is someone who is not happy with its sound quality, that schiit Loki makes me think you are EQ on attempt to improve your sound.

I think you have a DT990 Pros, right? those are power-hungry headphones i can see the need for a more powerful AMP, but that MixAmp right there... is a funnel, a sound performance bottleneck for those headphones.

If you want to improve your sound and you already own Hi-Fi headphones, go for a better DAC. Something analytical and open like SMSL M100 or Topping D30 will be a killer footsteps-detection hack with DT990Pros, if you can handle high treble.

Dt990pro - 250 .
 > iFi Zen Can,  or ZEN CAN Signature 6XX ?
 Tell me what should I choose for shooters on xbox?  which "Zen" should I choose ???

thanks for the help again.
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
ifi Zen CAN.

As I said, they are the same. Signature has a softer Bass boost button suited only for HD6XX.

But use it with JDS EL DAC II, not MixAmp.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
ifi Zen CAN.

As I said, they are the same. Signature has a softer Bass boost button suited only for HD6XX.

But use it with JDS EL DAC II, not MixAmp.
Thank you, I wanted to hear exactly what would be better for my build and for the purpose of playing shooters.  🤝 You will always help and prompt, I am very glad that you are 🤗

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: K9ozzy
Indulge me.......is there any possible way to use the Sennheiser GSX1000 with Xbox Series X?  What if I did HDMI out from [tv/samsung one source] to an [hdmi to RCA converter] then to [RCA to micro usb converter] then micro usb to GSX 1000?  Would the proper signal (digital or analog) reach the GSX 1000 to make it properly work and give me the surround sound processing?

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Indulge me.......is there any possible way to use the Sennheiser GSX1000 with Xbox Series X?  What if I did HDMI out from [tv/samsung one source] to an [hdmi to RCA converter] then to [RCA to micro usb converter] then micro usb to GSX 1000?  Would the proper signal (digital or analog) reach the GSX 1000 to make it properly work and give me the surround sound processing?
GSX1000 Input is digital only, process audio through USB; meaning besides audio signal, data signal, drivers etc goes to that cable, there is no RCA to MicroUSB adapter.

Haven't try it but my guess is:
You need:
a PC as intermediate
an capture card
a headphone Amp

1. Install GSX1000 on your PC, set as a default playback device.
2. Connect XBSX to PC capture card HDMI IN
3. PC capture card HDMI OUT to your gaming Monitor/TV. Turn everything on.
4. Open the capture utility that comes with your capture card, like elgato or OBS.
5. At windows mixer, mute the other apps sounds. Capture utility volume at 100%.
6. Connect your headphone amp RCA IN to the GSX1000 Headphone Out.
7. HD800S to the headphone amp.

You need a zero latency capture card(Internal), like elgato 4K60 Pro,
Mic should work through controller.

That's it.

Again, haven't try it but that should do the job.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
GSX1000 Input is digital only, process audio through USB; meaning besides audio signal, data signal, drivers etc goes to that cable, there is no RCA to MicroUSB adapter.

Haven't try it but my guess is:
You need:
a PC as intermediate
an capture card
a headphone Amp

1. Install GSX1000 on your PC, set as a default playback device.
2. Connect XBSX to PC capture card HDMI IN
3. PC capture card HDMI OUT to your gaming Monitor/TV. Turn everything on.
4. Open the capture utility that comes with your capture card, like elgato or OBS.
5. At windows mixer, mute the other apps sounds. Capture utility volume at 100%.
6. Connect your headphone amp RCA IN to the GSX1000 Headphone Out.
7. HD800S to the headphone amp.

You need a zero latency capture card(Internal), like elgato 4K60 Pro,
Mic should work through controller.

That's it.

Again, haven't try it but that should do the job.

Alan, what to do with 144Hz, 2.1hdmi monitors.  I ordered this one for myself .... but I have that extractor only at 60Hz, how to be in such a situation ??

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Alan, what to do with 144Hz, 2.1hdmi monitors.  I ordered this one for myself .... but I have that extractor only at 60Hz, how to be in such a situation ??
Which Monitor Roman_M?

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Which Monitor Roman_M?

https://evedevices.com/pages/order (144,4k,2.1)

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Alan, I would like to ask you about something.  Look, I have a friend who would like headphones that are very similar in all respects (most of all, convenience: for streaming, and convenient streaming - for many hours).  The variant is "Audeze Mobius", but he said that they do not suit him, could you advise anything at about the same price?  Friend streams and plays games (girl).  I would be grateful, she wanted something very much that would resemble like Audeze

Admin