XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229255 times)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
If the Astro Mixamp in passthru mode is used as a first stage before your dac/amp setup, so it can be used for chat purposes on xbox live. Will it still create a bottleneck/manipulate/distort, or reduce the signal going to your dac/amp?
I don't know how really clean is that passthrough.

HDMI Audio extractors sent by Orei and J-Tech Digital finally arrived and I already try them.

If you are a Mayflower ARC MK2 owner, glad to tell, you can use it with Xbox Series X and mix Chat(Analog from Controller) and Game Audio (HiRes Digital uncompress from SPDIF). Y splitter needed, external mic and a male-to-male extension.

Sad News:
Sennheiser is GONE.

They sold its headphone division, they had been struggling for years to be profitable on their headphone consumer division. Its high end segment got bloated they didn't "move" new products because some where so good and long lasting that people never replaced them, like the HD600 line that last for over 20 years being important in the market.

So, If you are a Sennheiser owner, I strong recommend you to get official earpads replacements becuase third parties does change the sound a little bit.

And if you are thinking on getting a Sennheiser headphone, do it... don't miss HD600, HD650 and specially HD660S any of those are great, but HD660S is best, these are going to be scalp in no time.

Sad day for Hi-Res Audio.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
how to upload photos, here on the forum?
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
it turns out when they bring me "loki +" I will have a puff pastry, from 3 parts)))) dac, amp, eq.

I looked like this on the Internet from people, almost all of them, such a maximum, dac, amp, eq.  I speak for the Xboxers.  It turns out it is no longer possible, and there is no strong need to connect another 4th element?  ...  But everything is exactly ... who will give such huge money, and also for the console, for the sound, not everyone has the opportunity to do this.  And why if you can buy headphones with a microphone, and play calmly, and do not know grief;)

Alan, teach me how to upload photos to this forum, in this topic.
🤗
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Quote from: Roman_M
I looked like this on the Internet from people, almost all of them, such a maximum, dac, amp, eq.  I speak for the Xboxers.  It turns out it is no longer possible, and there is no strong need to connect another 4th element?  ...  But everything is exactly...

I didn't quite get what you are talking about.

Code: [Select]
[img]image url[/img]
I use imgur  :)
_

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
SMSL sent me the M100 MKII DAC.

Can't wait to try it, it has a ESS Sabre 9018Q2C Chipset, used on $1500 USD AVR's from Marantz and Denon for only $85USD. Interesting.  8)

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Quote from: Roman_M
I looked like this on the Internet from people, almost all of them, such a maximum, dac, amp, eq.  I speak for the Xboxers.  It turns out it is no longer possible, and there is no strong need to connect another 4th element?  ...  But everything is exactly...

I didn't quite get what you are talking about.

Code: [Select]
[img]image url[/img]
I use imgur  :)
_

Thank you, bro;) you always help out, and help!  🤝

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
I think found the best gaming headphone Amplifier, improves Astro MixAmp DAC performance amazingly.

I will keep testing.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
I think found the best gaming headphone Amplifier, improves Astro MixAmp DAC performance amazingly.

I will keep testing.

I bought myself recently.
*ASTRO Gaming MixAmp Pro TR*

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yeap, this definitely will be my new starting gaming high fidelity device recommendation.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
You have your MixAmp or Sound USB dongle or even your controller headphone output.

And you want to be able to use high impedance studio/audiophile headphones for improve immersion and be able to hear footsteps, then you need a headphone amplifier to powered them correctly.

Your audio chain will be like this:
MixAmp / Sound USB dongle / Controller[Headphone Out] -> [RCA or 3.5mm In]Headphone Amplifier
Headphones ->  [Headphone Out]Headphone Amplifier

Options:
Schiit Magni, Monolith Liquid Spark, JDS Atom, Topping L30 (defective don't recommended)

New Top Recommendation: iFi Zen Can - $139usd

Why?:
  • Class A circuitry amplification, available on $400usd or above
  • 3.5mm Input for ease integration -back view-
  • XBass, is a Bass Boost made over the analog realm, meaning no DSP. Is subtle, it will give the explosiones body on open back headphones
  • 3D, this is a big one... disregarding its name, doesn't add false 3D reverb, like most digital processing that ruins sound cues positioning and stereo imaging. This effect is also made over the analog realm it; what it does is expanding the soundstage of your audio and increasing the Low Midrange and Low Trebble frequencies, both are where you can find footsteps in your games. The major disadvantage on a middle ot low performance DAC (device that outputs sound) is its narrow soundstage, getting a bigger soundstage implies get a high performance DAC, this headphone amplifier can fix it, very unique feature it works pretty well

I'm falling in love again with my MixAmp using this headphone amplifier with the 3D tuning on. Is amazing.

So there you go, is a very good option, pretty handy it does have Balanced inputs and Outputs if you are going even further on HiRes audio, with balanced DAC's and headphones.

Cheers!

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
You have your MixAmp or Sound USB dongle or even your controller headphone output.

And you want to be able to use high impedance studio/audiophile headphones for improve immersion and be able to hear footsteps, then you need a headphone amplifier to powered them correctly.

Your audio chain will be like this:
MixAmp / Sound USB dongle / Controller[Headphone Out] -> [RCA or 3.5mm In]Headphone Amplifier
Headphones ->  [Headphone Out]Headphone Amplifier

Options:
Schiit Magni, Monolith Liquid Spark, JDS Atom, Topping L30 (defective don't recommended)

New Top Recommendation: iFi Zen Can - $139usd

Why?:
  • Class A circuitry amplification, available on $400usd or above
  • 3.5mm Input for ease integration -back view-
  • XBass, is a Bass Boost made over the analog realm, meaning no DSP. Is subtle, it will give the explosiones body on open back headphones
  • 3D, this is a big one... disregarding its name, doesn't add false 3D reverb, like most digital processing that ruins sound cues positioning and stereo imaging. This effect is also made over the analog realm it; what it does is expanding the soundstage of your audio and increasing the Low Midrange and Low Trebble frequencies, both are where you can find footsteps in your games. The major disadvantage on a middle ot low performance DAC (device that outputs sound) is its narrow soundstage, getting a bigger soundstage implies get a high performance DAC, this headphone amplifier can fix it, very unique feature it works pretty well

I'm falling in love again with my MixAmp using this headphone amplifier with the 3D tuning on. Is amazing.

So there you go, is a very good option, pretty handy it does have Balanced inputs and Outputs if you are going even further on HiRes audio, with balanced DAC's and headphones.

Cheers!

. . .

But if you recommend this amplifier then I want to do it like this.
How to connect :
1. Xbox series X
2. Hdmi Audio extractor insignia
3. Astro mixamp pro tr
4. iFi Zen Can
5. Shiit loki+

?
« Last Edit: 06:34 PM - 06/02/21 by Roman_M »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Use the Audio Extractor to feed the optical input to the MixAmp.
  • Connect Astro MixAmp to the XBSX.
  • Use a Y Splitter, to separate Headphone Output and Mic Input from the MixAmp Headset Out.
  • Leave MixAmp Main Volume Knob at 12'clock.
  • Connect ModMic to Mic Input.
  • Connect Male-to-Male 3.5mm extension to the Headphone Output and on the back of the iFi Zen CAN 3.5mm Input.
  • Headphones to the iFi Zen CAN not-balanced output.
  • Control your headphone volume with iFi Zen Can Volume Knob.
  • Mix your Chat/Game audio with MixAmp Game/Voice small knob.

Loki is not need it, MixAmp has it's own EQ. What I recommend: search for Emperor Potara MixAmp Headphone Profile  made your headphone model. He mades 3: natural sounding, soundwhoring (footsteps), Music/movies.

Now, if you really want to put the Loki in the chain (cable mess warning)...

• Then on MixAmp load thee Natural or Neutral Headphone Profile.
  • Connect a Y RCA to 3.5mm cable. Connect 3.5mm male to the Headphone Output (Y splitter mention above).
  • The White and Red RCA Males to the Loki RCA Input.
  • Then with other set of cables connect Loki RCA Output to the iFi Zen CAN RCA Input

This way you can Balance Game/Voice Chat mix with the MixAmp knob,
Make-up or EQ your sound with Schiit Loki knobs,
Control Main volume with the iFi Zen CAN Amp.
Press 3D button to get an holographic or expanded sound-stage.
« Last Edit: 12:21 PM - 06/03/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Use the Audio Extractor to feed the optical input to the MixAmp.
  • Connect Astro MixAmp to the XBSX.
  • Use a Y Splitter, to separate Headphone Output and Mic Input from the MixAmp Headset Out.
  • Leave MixAmp Main Volume Knob at 12'clock.
  • Connect ModMic to Mic Input.
  • Connect Male-to-Male 3.5mm extension to the Headphone Output and on the back of the iFi Zen CAN 3.5mm Input.
  • Control your headphone volume with iFi Zen Can Volume Knob.
  • Mix your Chat/Game audio with MixAmp Game/Voice small knob.

Loki is not need it, MixAmp has it's own EQ. What I recommend: search for Emperor Potara MixAmp Headphone Profile  made your headphone model. He mades 3: natural sounding, soundwhoring (footsteps), Music/movies.

Now, if you really want to put the Loki in the chain (cable mess warning)...

• Then on MixAmp load thee Natural or Neutral Headphone Profile.
  • Connect a Y RCA to 3.5mm cable. Connect 3.5mm male to the Headphone Output (Y splitter mention above).
  • The White and Red RCA Males to the Loki RCA Input.
  • Then with other set of cables connect Loki RCA Output to the iFi Zen CAN RCA Input

This way you can Balance Game/Voice Chat mix with the MixAmp knob,
Make-up or EQ your sound with Schiit Loki knobs,
Control Main volume with the iFi Zen CAN Amp.
Press 3D button to get an holographic or expanded sound-stage.

Thank you !

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Alan, I'm buying a monitor at 144 Hz for the xbox series X.  What are the options for extractors for 120 fps (hdmi 2.1) (4k) ?????

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Alan, I'm buying a monitor at 144 Hz for the xbox series X.  What are the options for extractors for 120 fps (hdmi 2.1) (4k) ?????
HDMI 2.1 audio extractors are yet to come, could be next two months or until winter.

Check this thread great monitor recommendations for the Xbox.

Last week, I bought the Dell S2721DGF follow RML and antithesis recommendations. I'm very VERY pleased with its performance: very smooth, fast(no input lag), responsive without artifacts, supports 1440p / 120Hz with VRR enabled.

It has something that I luuuv: true clean Headphone Output, which is RARE, I connect there my headphone amp. Most monitors have Line Out for speakers which tends to have ground issues(buzz noise).

It is a top recommendation, coming for a OLED TV 120Hz HDMI owner. You are not missing anything at 1440p at 2.4 inches (75 cm) compare to 4K.

There are other options from Asus and the new LG 27GP850, both offer VRR on 1440/120Hz.

If you really want 4K/120Hz HDMI 2.1 with VRR support you have to look at TV's, 48" OLED LG C1, CX are the best options in the market.