XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 228056 times)

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Regarding the GoXLR - I feed my consoles, including PS5 & Series X, through a HDMI switch with optical audio extraction.That pipes into the optical port of the GoXLR for OBS capture / streaming, as well as to a Sound Blaster X7. It's unfortunate that next-gen consoles dropped the optical port, but a workaround is very simple.

Honestly though, the console controller audio port is fine for most gaming scenarios and it's much simpler to implement. I use Fidelio X2 headphones and a V-Moda Boom Pro mic for myself and my son for multiplayer gaming. A quick unplug from the X7 to the controller port and I'm done.
« Last Edit: 04:39 PM - 05/04/21 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM APEX demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
The current setup. I love the Schiit Loki mini equalizer! Took some time and work around to get everything working and to be able to keep the optical input for the mixamp.  I'm really eyeballing those Sennheiser HD 800S's.  I'm an audiophile, love tinkering with the setup, and always looking to squeeze every bit of performance out of my gaming setup.  Question: since I have a mini equalizer, what would be the best settings for my mixamp? 

I also want this, a mini equalizer for jds el dac 2, atom amp, and xbox series X.  My ears are bayerdynamic dt 990 pro, 250 ohm
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: K9ozzy
Hey Alan!  Appreciate the help. I haven't looked in awhile but did we figure out a good workaround for xbox so that I can use a different dac and have chat?  I tried a Soundblaster X7 LE and it sounded phenomenal but the chat was just wonky.

On another note and I really really really would love any help you could give me cause you're just the guy.   I have one of your older versions of your anti recoil script for my titan two and I love it. However it somehow has become corrupted and it no longer shows up in the app so I cant the modify the values. It'll show up on the computer, but doesn't give me the icon to configure it.  It still works great, and I can still use my num key pad to swap between my anti recoil
Settings 0-9, but I'll never be able to make any adjustments.  I've tried your latest updated version and I just prefer the older one probablycause that's what I'm used to. Plus since I can't get into the script on the app or computer, and can't see the anti recoil values, I'm basically losing countless hours of the testing it took in training mode on pubg to get all of my anti recoil values set the way I liked. If I could atleast see them then I could transfer them to the new version as a great starting point  Any help would be seriously appreciated.

Offline ATLRoach

• When your work speaks for itself, donít interrupt.
    • View Profile
    • Team Ewix
  • Gamertag: ATLRoach
  • PSN ID: OGATLRoach
I ran the X7 for years with the Xbox One with no issue using a 3 pole splitter on the controller to RCA in on the X7 and a ModMic on my Q701s. When I moved to PlayStation then PC, I killed that mess and went to a Blue Yeti Mic.
Roach
Apex /Xbox One X & PS4 Pro / Samsung 28 Quantum Dot / Model O- / GG XXL Pad / Iris v3 Speed Silvers / Creative X7 LE / AKG Q701 or Sennheiser PC37X  / Blue Yeti

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
How to connect "loki mini +" to jds ell dac 2 sound card, jds atom amp headphone amplifier and audio extractor?  console series X. ????
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
K9ozzy, about the AR Script. Let me know which Script is and version.

XB Chat Audio is fixed to the controller DAC unlike PS platform where can come from a USB Sound device.

XB MixAmp can get Voice Chat from USB, but only with MixAmp DAC for Game Audio.

If Direct Mode is a true pass-through, then try:
SPDIF to MixAmp, MixAmp to XB via USB,
MixAmp set on Direct Mode + connect Y splitter:
Headphone out goes to an analog Input on your better DAC/Amp Headphones plug on this.
Mic on Y splitter Mic In.

The other way will be mixing these two signals with an external Audio Inline Mixer but this can bring buzz grounding issues and quality loss.

Mayflower ARC MK2 however, offers an analog input, interprets and mixes with a digital signal then outputs with amplification to your headphones, and that's very unique. The level of your Chat Audio can be change by the headset volume controller.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
How to connect "loki mini +" to jds ell dac 2 sound card, jds atom amp headphone amplifier and audio extractor?  console series X. ????
HDMI Audio Extractor SPDIF to EL DAC II SPDIF In.
EL DAC RCA Out to Loki RCA In
Loki RCA Out to Atom RCA In
Headphones to Atom Amp Headphone out.
Volume is controlled by Atom. EQ by Loki knobs.

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
Alan I can't thank you enough for your help and what you do for the community.  I believe you when you say I'm not getting the most out of my HD 660S's, and I'm so ready to be done with the mixamp.  With that said, instead of spending $1700 on a headset, what would be your recommendation for an end game setup for Xbox who will also need a mic for party chat. I have the atom Amp already and can keep it or change to something else. Just needing dac or a dac/amp combo, plus a mic solution since I'll be dropping the mixamp.  I've seen yall talking about GoXLR, but I don't know if it applies or not.

I'll get you the script version for your anti recoil mod in a few.  Do you think it's possible I'll be able to recover my recoil presets? Thanks again

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Alan I can't thank you enough for your help and what you do for the community.  I believe you when you say I'm not getting the most out of my HD 660S's, and I'm so ready to be done with the mixamp.  With that said, instead of spending $1700 on a headset, what would be your recommendation for an end game setup for Xbox who will also need a mic for party chat. I have the atom Amp already and can keep it or change to something else. Just needing dac or a dac/amp combo, plus a mic solution since I'll be dropping the mixamp.  I've seen yall talking about GoXLR, but I don't know if it applies or not.

I'll get you the script version for your anti recoil mod in a few.  Do you think it's possible I'll be able to recover my recoil presets? Thanks again

Right now I have problems with the chat of the game, and the audibility of my teammates, until I solved this problem of connecting through the Y-splitter.  but I found one article on the Internet, if it works for me, I will recommend you to do the same.  And now all that remains is to wait for the salary;) (the problem is precisely in the separation of the sound of the game, the microphone, there it is necessary to get confused so that it all works with the extractor + sound card + amplifier + optical cable) I myself have been looking for and waiting for a solution to this problem for probably a month ...  . if not more)

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
HDMI Audio Extractor SPDIF to EL DAC II SPDIF In.
EL DAC RCA Out to Loki RCA In
Loki RCA Out to Atom RCA In
Headphones to Atom Amp Headphone out.
Volume is controlled by Atom. EQ by Loki knobs.

Thanks Alan, you are the best!  🤗

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
       Looking for Xbox audiophile end game setup suggestions minus the headphones.  Being able to party chat is a must.  I'm trying to get away from my astro mixamp.  I prefer the interchangeability of a stack, but wouldn't rule out a dac/amp combo.  The party chat issue. Is that something GOXLR can handle, and do yall recommend it?  I just learned about it and still trying to learn as much as possible about using it with xbox.  I have Sennheiser HD 660S's that I want to keep cause as AlanMcGregor suggested, I do feel I haven't come close to their full potential using the astro mixamp. I have a JDS Labs Atom Amp, but will also upgrade it if yall feel I can squeeze just a little more performance out of the headphones.  I do have a Schiit Loki I want to keep incorporated into the mix. I love that thing.  I understand the diminishing returns you start getting with audio equipment at a certain price point, but I really love always looking for that perfect sound, and tinkering with the setup. I'm not looking for VCR sized equipment either 🤣. Also this will be a stand-alone setup that is only hooked up to an Xbox. If need be, I can hook it up to a computer for initial programming or updates/adjustments, but won't be connected to a PC full time. Thanks again
« Last Edit: 07:48 AM - 05/06/21 by K9ozzy »

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
       Looking for Xbox audiophile end game setup suggestions minus the headphones.  Being able to party chat is a must.  I'm trying to get away from my astro mixamp.  I prefer the interchangeability of a stack, but wouldn't rule out a dac/amp combo.  The party chat issue. Is that something GOXLR can handle, and do yall recommend it?  I just learned about it and still trying to learn as much as possible about using it with xbox.  I have Sennheiser HD 660S's that I want to keep cause as AlanMcGregor suggested, I do feel I haven't come close to their full potential using the astro mixamp. I have a JDS Labs Atom Amp, but will also upgrade it if yall feel I can squeeze just a little more performance out of the headphones.  I do have a Schiit Loki I want to keep incorporated into the mix. I love that thing.  I understand the diminishing returns you start getting with audio equipment at a certain price point, but I really love always looking for that perfect sound, and tinkering with the setup. I'm not looking for VCR sized equipment either 🤣.  Thanks again

I don't know what to advise, but you see Alan's ps5, everything is much easier to connect via usb there.  I have a DAC from jds, namely "jds ell dac 2" - which costs ~ $ 300.  I bought it together with an amplifier, also from jds.  I do not know what is the best fashionable replacement for such a * hard * bundle, at the moment for the X series.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
K9ozzy,

$200 DAC is enough.

Endgame DAC/Amp? Monolith 124459 Headphone Amplifier and DAC with THX AAA Technology. Meets strict AAA THX, powerful clean amp, parametric EQ and DIRAC Sensaround crossover true surround.

About Chat/Game on XB.

GoXLR must be connected to a PC all the time, still need the Y splitter to work.
« Last Edit: 05:40 PM - 05/07/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
There's some inquiries I got often, would like to answer:
-paraphrasing-

Why MixAmp hate/backlash?

I've none, don't get where some people got that impression. I think is a fantastic device, great for starters, love its Chat/Mix capabilities, EQ and above average compare to mainstream DACs, I wish it has more power that's all. I kept my gen4. I see inferior DACs(SoundBlaster's, TurtleBeach, HyperX dongles) a toy, MixAmp is a tool, Mayflower ARC is a frikin' weapon.

The main reason this thread started was to improve and get more of our MixAmps.

Why 3D Surround of Headphones I called fake surround?
Because it is, a true surround experience requires many channels or speakers, our skull, a brain and two astonishing good organic microphones with a special cartilage that we called ears. If a sound came from one direction, let's say our left, this wave came from out the speakers, bounces in to a walls and is pick for our left hear BUT also, the remaing waves reflectios are picked by our right ear which hear them taking to account also our head mass, all these our brain interprets and process all these as surround sound. This is just not possible with only two speakers (our headphones), without proper hardware.

What marketing sells as 3D Surround 7.1 on headphones is snake oil, a filter that change sound adding reverb to give you a spacious sound sensation, just like you take a picture and apply a sepia filter to make it look vintage.

There is a way to recreate the true surround explained above, and that's either:
Recording a sound source with a head with microphones instead of hears, and we called binaural
or true hardware, change an audio source to recreate that head so a source can be heard by one hear and abit for another one... and that's something known as crossfade, like DIRAC offers on the Monolith 124459 or other very high end THX certificate DACs. These procesing makes you feel that you are not wearing a headphone more like you are listen a modest home theater system on a very dry acoustic treated room.

But I'm not against simulated surround, dolby atmos for headphones, I see as a flavor, spice for your sound experience and I love spices. What I'm against is all that marketing disinformed oil-snake @#$%.

The true surround sound will give you and advantage for sound positioning?, assuming the game audio mix is well recorded and precise - yes absolutely.

But, a stereo sound will give you and advantage over it, just like when you increase the brightness on your monitor to see on dark spaces, or add more hue for red spectrum to see visual cues like getting hit, is not pretty it looks hideous but gies you a visual advantage. Awesome precise stereo imaging gives you advantageous sound localizing over surround, and bright sound eq with high midrange, dull bass and sharp treble will be the best for competitive gaming. It will destroy your ears XD but is a weapon.

I loved audio, and most games are recorded on Stereo mixes due its broad wide audience, so I prefer the best Stereo DAC I can get, if the audio source has a nice binaural recording is a huge plus which will beat any fake surround and it will give you closer to a crossfade sound surround (which has a bit of lag due the sound processing) for a very small fraction of what you need to pay for. If you want the best surround, build a home theater multichannel system, period.

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
If the Astro Mixamp in passthru mode is used as a first stage before your dac/amp setup, so it can be used for chat purposes on xbox live. Will it still create a bottleneck/manipulate/distort, or reduce the signal going to your dac/amp?