XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229269 times)

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
Good day (: I want to ask for help in the correct setting (el dac 2 + atom amp + bt 990 pro) - for my xbox series X, what do I need to set in the sound settings? (Stereo without compression, dolby, and more) insignia extractor  , which channel to choose for her? 5.1 or two channel. Today they just brought everything, started to connect, it seems to work, but I do not know if it works correctly. Help please ... (:
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Is going to be two channel only, stereo.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
A friend, I need to set it in the settings exactly where the sound is in the Xbox, what should I choose there?  there are options with dolby atmosphere, there is a choice of stream - but it does not work for me, it squeaks together, etc. Then why does the "input" button on the amplifier not amplify the sound, but the "gain" button on the amplifier does this?  on cpu - lights up red.  insignia extractor (5.1 / two-channel) rca cable relatives from jds (bought everything together) I bought a Dolby Atmos subscription (and I turned everything to the maximum with the equalizer) I don't know who to ask for help with the correct setting, I did everything "blindly".  Should I, in the settings, select connections via "hdmi or optical cable" just does it require Dolby Atmos itself when you first turn it on and set it up?  I don't know, while I'm looking for information on English-language forums, and now I'm asking for help, maybe there are those who have a bundle (jds ell dac 2 + jds atom amp), and he connected it all to the xbox series X ??  I need this person :(
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile

Connections:
1. At the Insignia HDMI Audio Extractor: set the Switch to 2 CH Mode.
Next, at the back of the Insignia HDMI Audio Extractor connect the HDMI cable that goes to your Display/gaming monitor.
2. Connect the Optical SPDIF cable, on the Audio Extractor SPDIF Out to the JDS EL DAC II SPDIF Input.
3. At the front of the HDMI Audio Extractor connect the HDMI cable that goes to your console.
Connect the DC Adapter on the Audio extractor and to a power outlet.
4. At the back of the EL DAC II, connect RCA cables from the RCA Out to the RCA IN at the back of the JDS Atom.

Notes:
+ The volume is controlled by the JDS Atom knob.

+ The Gain button what gives more power (volume) to your headphones if they needed.
Gain button default will feed headphones from 25 Ohms up to 150Ohms, Gain button pressed is for 150Ohms up to 300Ohms headphones.

Important: Check your headphone impedance specs to use the correct gain setting.

5. Connect your headphones to the JDS Atom, headphone input.

6. Connect all the DC adapters to powerline and make sure the EL DAC is turned ON and that's it, all should be working OK.

Now let's tune the Console to work with EL DAC II.

At General Volumen & audio output on XBox Settings:
Speaker audio = Stereo Uncompressed
Bitstream option should be unavailable. is not needed
Headset format = Stereo Uncompressed.

* These formats adds equalization, reverb to the headphones to simulate 3D aka fake surround. For competitive gaming Stereo is better than fake surround, for campaign inmersive games you can try it, if you already pay Dolby Atmos subscription, give it a try, but if you really want to know enemies position and hear footsteps precisely, set: Stereo uncompressed.

Using HDMI audio headset = Optional.
* This option suppose to be for HDMI headphones, to tune it the dynamic range. You can go ahead and try tick it, because  your headphones are in essence HDMI ones (through the audio extractor).

I will say, let it untick, and this is why:

Explaining what is Dynamic Range and why you should use WIDE Speakers and not Headphone settings in your console and games

Dynamic range means how capable are your speakers to produce maximum an minimal audio signals.

Headphones are small speakers, very small so its dynamic range is limited compared to a full fledged speaker 4" or above, crappy gaming headphones or gas station headphones are very limited and has very low dynamic range.

Audiophile grade headphones has better dynamic range than regular headphones, similar to speakers, and that's why you should avoid setting the "Headphone" specification, so the Xbox unleash the full output of your professional heaphones.

And these is also for all your games, go the their Audio Settings, and select BIG Stereo Speakers or WIDE, not headphone setting, because your expensive headphones can reproduce all that dynamic range, you will hear more detail.

There is an exception: some games has a Binaural Stereo or Headphone Binaural Mix, use this option because the game was recorded to reproduce how our ears can listen sound, game was recorded with two microphones that emulates our ears inside of a human head replica, hence stereo. That's the REAL Surround with two speakers, our brain does the magic.

I extend this part a little bit because it is important.

OK I hope you can start to enjoy your audio gear  ;) ;D 8)

« Last Edit: 07:40 PM - 04/02/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Thank you very much :) I'll start to figure it out a little, I can't understand it all right away, you helped me a lot, if there are any more questions, I will turn to you again (:

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
No problem, I wish you can start to enjoy your excellent audio gear in no time ;)

OK, so I got plenty messages asking me about earpads, how much a difference does?, if it's really worthy to spent other $60 on a set of earpads.

About Earpads

I really trying to make my replies short and concise.

Earpads allows you to mod your headphones so these can fit you better, wear them comfortably and in a smaller manner: how your headphone sounds, like a very subtle tuning. You can change how a headphone fits you significantly but you can change how it sounds. Can make a headphone that can't be used with eye-wear usable, or clear your ear lobs, but can't make a bright (harsh treble) headphone to a bassy one, just smooth that harshness a bit.

Materials:
Velour Ear pads
Comfort: make it more airy breathable.
Sound: Helps to control treble, subtle bass loss.

Leather:
Comfort: warmer, comfy if you like leather feel on your skin, sweaty on long gaming sessions.
Sound: Boost bass or low end, it can affect midrange (footsteps)
There is different types of leather, if is more thick and closed-out like cow hide this properties are increased or worsten, if is thin, silk like then might be more balanced.

Artificial leather has similar sound qualities depending of the materials.

Perforated Leather:
Comfort: no as warmer, breathable.
Sound: Bass subtle improve, midrange improve, treble is soften. Recommended for gaming. Lamb in particular.

When should I change my earpads:
If the ones that came with your headphones are:
a) Worn-out
b) Uncomfortable
c) When there is a frequency that is to harsh and you are trying to control it, without changing the sound significantly.

Personally, I always prever Oval earpads with a wide ear-shape ear-hole because I have werewolf ears, like elf and anything touching my ears is a no go after time.

All of above assuming you are using the same earpads design for your headphones but with different materials,

If you are using hand-made, custom-made shape, thicker or earpads for a different headphones on yours then this might really impact how you headphone sounds, it can add distortion, or can improve some frequencies is a coin toss.

For example, if you have the Audio Technica ATH-ADG1X which uses round earpads with a small ear-hole, and swapped for a Audeze LCD earpads, which are Thick and has a big ear-hole with ear-shape, you make it more comfortable but all that big wide space inside of your ear it will add a "reverb" effect, that can be nice for immersion, will give you a wide sound-stage feeling but might affects sound imaging.

Gel on earpads.
Gel is great it does feel cooler in your ears when you wear them... but, that feeling last like a 15 minutes or less, because is not active cooling and our body makes them warm. Definitely doesn't get as warm as leather or pleather, but is not like a fancy pillow.

OK, that's it it looks like I fail to make it short but believe me is very short.
« Last Edit: 02:17 PM - 04/03/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
About "fake surround" on headphones.
Yes I got some complains about it, that I'm always bashing these.

First of all, I don't mean to offend you or your gear choices, but let's call the things by it's name. Virtual surround? mmmh not quite yet closer, emulated surround? - yeah that's better, and more polite than fake.

Surround 5.1 or above, these number means channels hence speakers (one subwoofer = .1) these doesn't exist inside of your headphones, you only have two... stereo. And if your DAC or soundcard or filter adds "3D effect" or "Dolby Atmos" you have to look it as it is, a filter just because you apply sepia to a photo you don't make it from the 1900 century. Instagram filters alter photos, makes them loose detail for aesthetics, which you might kick yourself in the butt in the future when you find out all the pictures for your pets, babies are tainted with filters instead of having the originals. Sorry rant over.

You want surround?, get a surround system don't fall for the trap, now you are aware of it.

But like with food, I can't deny that SP (Sound processing, "3D Effects") can spice your games... is nothing wrong with that and you might like it, but for me I'm fortunate enough to have a very nice Surround Dolby Atmos system I'm bias, I taste too much of the good and real stuff, so ignore my comments if you feel offended, but I must insist an outstanding headphone stereo system can make you feel that you are not missing much from a full fledged real and very daunting and expensive surround multiple speaker system.

Because not only on a multiple channel/speaker system, speakers are way more expensive and DAC/Amps but also you have to Acoustic treat your room which can be a 1K enterprise on budget, yeah... and it doesn't matter if you have a $80 grand surround system if your room has echo like a bathroom.

Having a expensive multichannel audio system on an accoustic untreated room is similar to using your headphones without earpads on the street.
« Last Edit: 02:41 PM - 04/03/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
you can suggest that I put a checkmark in the xbox series X settings, (audio, where there is "an optical cable or hdmi connection"? which will allow me to use the Dolby equalizer, there you can turn everything to the maximum, this will greatly increase the volume, I have already checked  it's .. It's just that now I can adjust my sound (general) on the Xbox only through the amplifier, and it's not enough for me. Should I change that parameter and use the "dolby" equalizer ??? I twisted everything to the maximum and it was very loud,  I don't have enough volume ... What do you say? I'm really quiet, I don't have a microphone now for my 250 ohm bt990 pro, and I can only adjust the volume through the "jds amplifier", and the menu itself is in the "quick" sound settings on the Xbox (  well, where is the "chat volume, overall volume, microphone sensitivity") (jds ell dac 2 + jds atom amp + 250ohm bayer 990 pro)

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Don't use the dolby format.

Pretty weird that you are having volume issues. Make sure you have max volume output on your Xbox.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
but how to do it ?  if my volume is controlled only through the amplifier, there is nothing else ..

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
but how to do it ?  if my volume is controlled only through the amplifier, there is nothing else ..

Set your gain for high impedance, is the button in your amplifier.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
I bought all this expensive equipment, but only then .. if it is quiet .. I have to screw it all the way up, like it's some kind of nonsense ... I expected that I would get super loud, sound, but itís quiet, I donít have enough  volume, why I bought it, I don't know ..

Offline Grhym

• View Profile
Astro Mixamp Pro TR + HyperX Cloud II
« Reply #447 on: 07:11 PM - 04/04/21 »
Hello Alan !

I am new here and after reading alot of the messages here I saw that you know alot of things about headphones and sound in general. I would like to ask you for your help.
I recently bought the Astro MixAmp Pro TR to use with my HyperX Cloud II, I also bought the HyperX Revolver S but i'm still waiting it to be shipped.
My question is, i'm playing Rainbow Six Siege alot in competitive on PC and I want to have the best settings to be able to clearly hear the footsteps. Does my MixAmp Pro TR and my HyperX Cloud Revolver S/HyperX Cloud II are a good mix ? And if so, I don't know how to set my Astro Command Center.
I tried to download the presets in the first post but all the links are dead.
And my last question is about where do I plug my MixAmp ? I have a Corsair Stand with 7.1 and I plugged it my MixAmp, is it better plugged on it or should I plug it on my motherboard ?

Thank you for reading my post and I hope that I've been clear enough as English isn't my first language. Have a nice day !

These are the products I was talking about, the HyperX Cloud Revolver S I mentioned is the HyperX Cloud Revolver + 7.1 in the link below :

https://www.astrogaming.com/fr-fr/products/mixamps/mixamp-tr-gen-4.html
https://www.hyperxgaming.com/france/us/headsets/cloud-revolver-gaming-headset

Playing on PC and my MixAmp is plugged in this :

https://www.corsair.com/fr/fr/Cat%C3%A9gories/Produits/Casques-gaming/Accessoires-pour-casques/Support-haut-de-gamme-pour-casque-avec-son-surround-7-1-ST100-RGB-%28EU%29/p/CA-9011167-EU

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
I bought all this expensive equipment, but only then .. if it is quiet .. I have to screw it all the way up, like it's some kind of nonsense ... I expected that I would get super loud, sound, but itís quiet, I donít have enough  volume, why I bought it, I don't know ..
Something is off in your setup. Do you try with a different headphones?, how loud is loud for you? (dBmeter may required) 85 dBa loudnes is not good for your health. Loud volume is not good sound quality.

Hey Grhym

Does my MixAmp Pro TR and my HyperX Cloud Revolver S/HyperX Cloud II are a good mix ?
Yes, they go well MixAmp can power those headphones but as you may know you need to tune the MixAmp to work withyour Cloud II or Revolvers.

Check Emperor Potara Discord, the links are in the first page. There you will find the Revolver and Cloud II files for MixAmp.

Connect your MixAmp directly to your PC (make sure your MixAmp is set on: PC Mode) via USB.

UPDATE: Yeah, I checked... link is not working, I will update it later. Man Discord is such a mess...
I dig into the discord, find the Cloud 2 EQ for you  ;):
Emperor Potara - MixAmp - HyperX Cloud 2 - Footsteps detection/Competitive

Dolby = OFF, Stereo Required
« Last Edit: 01:49 PM - 04/05/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Grhym

• View Profile
First of all, Thank you very much for taking the time to answer me !

Dolby = OFF, Stereo Required

To turn off Dolby, it's the button between the headset and the star right ? (Headset to Dolby - Star to Stereo) And do I have to disable it from windows too ? (It seems obvious but I ask it anyway just to be sure)

Thank you again for helping me, i'm looking forward the update of the links so I can go dig the preset for my future HyperX Revolver.

Have a nice day !