XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229293 times)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Is there a better alternative to spend my money on?
Oh yeah, but I need to ask you first
- budget?
- Which headphones/Headset you have already?
- Is it Chat/Mix knob very important for you?

First, Must Have:
Official Headset Adapter for Xbox Consoles

or
Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller Plus for Xbox Series X|S & Xbox One

Y Mic/Headphone Splitter CTIA complaint

This two gadgets it will allow you to connect almost any headset, studio headphone and HiRes audio gear DAC and Amp to your XBox Series S/X.

Optional for better in-game sound quality: HDMI Audio Extractor.

Devices recommended Budget to best bang per buck to high performance:
1. Fiio K5 Pro, it's DAC/Amp is way better than MixAmp or SoundBlaster X G6, substantial improvement that you will notice $150 usd. HiRes Stereo, there isn't surround mixes but its stereo imaging is much much better for locate sound cues, very directional. Very powerful it can power any studio audiophile headphone you can throw at it.

2. Sound BlasterX G6. Even though its sound quality is not at the level of Fiio K5 Pro it offers surround mix

3. Mayflower Arc MK2. Another DAC/Amp, the power of the Fiio with Mic In and Aux Audio In, and better DAC sound reproduction than any of above. It sounds like a $400 DAC and clean like a $300 Amp for $260.

Until this point we were talking on DAC/Amp devices, two in one, but the best option is to have a DAC separated for the Amp, and this is what is called Stacking, put one unit over the other, you can get DACs for $100 and Amps for over $100.

Starter Budget, around: $220 usd
JDS Labs Atom DAC + JDS Labs Atom Amp or Monoprice Liquid Spark.

SweetSpot for gaming, above average for music listening:
JDS Labs Atom El DAC II + JDS Labs Atom Amp or Monoprice Liquid Spark
DAC Topping D30 + Amp: JDS Labs Atom or Monoprice Liquid Spark

Audiophile Grade:
JDS EL Element II, Topping High End line + THX AAA Amp, etc.

Now the ones on Green Teal, are such an improve on gaming, combined with a good Headphones like DT990Pro, HD600, or Phidelios X2, AKG K701, these... setting your game on Stereo / Wide Dynamic Range, I'm not exaggerating this ones right here are the closest you can get to have legit Wall-hacks, you can hear enemies position accurately, how far they are, if they are coming up, behind, sides and even the moment when they are about to turn around the corner.

For a single campaign AAA game with that supports Enhanced Stereo or Binaural Mix, it will be the best immersive experience that can compete with a true $1500 usd or above Home Theater 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Speaker System.

The Orange letters are audio experiences that are overdoing it for console gaming, you shouldn't spent on these if you are only using for gaming. Those can work for gaming yes, but also music and video content production/mix is like getting a 8K display to play nintendo switch titles. ::)

Now, HiRes Audio is something that I strongly encourage any gamer to try at some point, but I'm aware that can be expensive but man it gives you a new gaming experience, why we spent lots of money on expensive TV's or Displays and neglect audio, or get scam by the "gaming audio" crap the industry sells to us, that can be near expensive and not even close on performance.

Anyways, but I know sometimes is easy to just stay on a familiar ground, and messy cables is an hindrance. If you want to save some money and keep using MixAmp which you are familiar with, get the MixAmp unit for Xbox consoles, only the DAC, you can find it from $140 usd, but I can't say the audio experience deserve a green teal font color.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hi Alan,

I got some advice from you quite a while back when I was on ps4. I got an xbox series x now and I'm kind of retarded and am wondering if I can get a quick rundown of how I need to setup my audio gear.

I have a mayflower ARC amp/DAC and a Sennheiser GSP 600 headset. Is this compatiable. Any downsides?

Oh ya and I have a benq ex2510 monitor if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
If you have Mayflower ARC MK1 use the Xbox Setup explain on the manual, you might require a HDMI Audio Extractor, if you play 4K /60Hz or 1080p/120Hz, the only one I can recommend is the OREI HDMI Extractor, prety well built and is on sale I think on Amazon.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
BTW can confirm that XSX running at 120fps via HDMI 1.4 with my monitor

Thanks for share Od1n!

:) man I think Microsoft really made his homework this gen, and they truly believe on gamers prefer high fps in games than resolution. Playstation, they can't even enable VRR yet and the lack of 1440p is so annoying.

it would be really perfect if they would have kept the optical output...makes a lot of gear unusable or with negatively impacted use...hdmi audio extractor is not a good solution to overcome this ...other than that it's really awesome

Yeah that was a very @#$% move from both Sony and Microsoft, there is a lot of sound bars, audio components that relies on that, but they didn't want to pay royalties to Philips. They also want to force people to buy expensive AV Receivers, any how fortunately there are workarounds.

Offline DanielClem

• View Profile
I posted to JDS Labs on their blog post that announced compatibility with PS5 about my desire/want for them to get licensed/compatible with Xbox so their products would work also.  Maybe they will see some demand interest and pursue it especially if more people message them.  In the meantime, I did order the HD 660S and the JDS atom and plan to use it as suggested with my current mixamp setup thanks again for the input here.  Excited for new gear to compare/contrast against my Fidelio X2HRs.

Offline misdah

• View Profile
Hi Alan,

I got some advice from you quite a while back when I was on ps4. I got an xbox series x now and I'm kind of retarded and am wondering if I can get a quick rundown of how I need to setup my audio gear.

I have a mayflower ARC amp/DAC and a Sennheiser GSP 600 headset. Is this compatiable. Any downsides?

Oh ya and I have a benq ex2510 monitor if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
If you have Mayflower ARC MK1 use the Xbox Setup explain on the manual, you might require a HDMI Audio Extractor, if you play 4K /60Hz or 1080p/120Hz, the only one I can recommend is the OREI HDMI Extractor, prety well built and is on sale I think on Amazon.

But that way you can not use your mic can you? At least on by SBx G6 it won´t work with an HDMI extractor, and I can not adjust the volume anymore via the amp/dac when using such an extractor. is it different for the Mayflower or do I miss something?

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
On the Mayflower Arc MK1 and MK2 when you set the Optical input, its Mic input turns into a pass-through device, your voice goes out by the Aux output in the back of the Arc so you can connected to another device, in Xbox will be the mic input of the Headset Adapter, Tyler(Arc creator) thought everything.

You can't do this on the SoundBlaster X G6, because your voice (Mic output) only goes via USB, and if your console is not USB compatible with SBXG6 you can't do it.

That's the problem with devices that relies on drivers-compatibility instead of physical audio inputs that can be hooked in one way or another.

So, if you have SBXG6 my guess is (I don't have XBSX yet but a SBXG6) get the audio extractor, connect the Optical input, if you have an independent mic like the modmic or v-moda boom mic or split your mic with a Y adapter(it might give you ground issues), connect that end to the Mic in on the XB Headset Adapter.

Offline JamesFPS

• View Profile
Hi Alan

So I've been playing about with a few different setups on the XSX.

With a hdmi audio extractor I am able to use my DAC/Amp combo at 120hz, however variable refresh rate (VRR) is disabled. So this means that the frames stay locked at 120, compared to VRR (where the frames are constantly changing eg, 105,110,120,etc)

From what I understand, VRR is a very good thing and results in smoother gameplay, so it seems a shame to be denied of this feature.

I'm thinking perhaps the best solution for me is to just to use my Sennheiser hd58x and blue yeti connected directly to the headset adapter via the headphone/mic splitter (this should be possible, right?)

(I was able to successfully use the splitter to connect audio to the hd58x and mic to the GSP500, so I'm sure that it will work with 58x and blue yeti)

Definitely seems underwhelming compared to previous setup I had on PS4, but in reality during gameplay it's sufficient. The volume is loud enough and footsteps are good.

Maybe in a few months some better options will appear that allow free sync(VRR) combined with high end audio equipment.

Best regards,
« Last Edit: 04:00 PM - 12/23/20 by JamesFPS »
PS4 | XIM Apex | Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK | Mousepad: Gigabit Amp500 | KB: Durgod Taurus K320 TKL Cherry Silent Red | Mouse: Endgame XM1 @ 250HZ 12K/3.2K | DAC: Topping D30 | Amp: JDS Labs Atom | Mic: Blue Yeti | Headphones: beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO | Config: Blamer 250HZ Common+Curve 35SAB | MW/Warzone

Offline JamesFPS

• View Profile
Hi Alan

So I've been playing about with a few different setups on the XSX.

With a hdmi audio extractor I am able to use my DAC/Amp combo at 120hz, however variable refresh rate (VRR) is disabled. So this means that the frames stay locked at 120, compared to VRR (where the frames are constantly changing eg, 105,110,120,etc)

From what I understand, VRR is a very good thing and results in smoother gameplay, so it seems a shame to be denied of this feature.

I'm thinking perhaps the best solution for me is to just to use my Sennheiser hd58x and blue yeti connected directly to the headset adapter via the headphone/mic splitter (this should be possible, right?)

(I was able to successfully use the splitter to connect audio to the hd58x and mic to the GSP500, so I'm sure that it will work with 58x and blue yeti)

Definitely seems underwhelming compared to previous setup I had on PS4, but in reality during gameplay it's sufficient. The volume is loud enough and footsteps are good.

Maybe in a few months some better options will appear that allow free sync(VRR) combined with high end audio equipment.

Best regards,

Final update - hopefully this helps others

The blue yeti is not a good option for the XSX. As there is no USB audio, you need to connect it via the 3.5mm cable into the mic port of a y splitter. This mic is way too sensitive for that and it just sounds strange with a loud buzzing noise coming through your headphones and you won't be able to use it properly.

The turtle beach headset adapter (this is the only brand currently on the market) is also unreliable as it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and you need to unplug it and plug it back in. It's a pain to remove and overall not a good solution. Seems its not perfectly compatible with XSX.

At this moment, the best solution I've found is plugging the GSP 500 headset directly into the controller. No y splitter or anything else required. You can turn the headset volume up via the accessories app and it gets extremely loud. With this method, the sound is very good for competitive fps, there is minimal wires and you are able to use variable refresh rate (freesync) with 120hz

PS4 | XIM Apex | Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK | Mousepad: Gigabit Amp500 | KB: Durgod Taurus K320 TKL Cherry Silent Red | Mouse: Endgame XM1 @ 250HZ 12K/3.2K | DAC: Topping D30 | Amp: JDS Labs Atom | Mic: Blue Yeti | Headphones: beyerdynamic DT 990 PRO | Config: Blamer 250HZ Common+Curve 35SAB | MW/Warzone

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Mic sounds too hot, or high because you are connecting an audio out to a mic in, instead of an audio in. In order to abate that loud signal you need an inline volume control (as I recommended before).

It's a mess, Blue Yeti relies on USB connection and XBSX is not compatible.

The Headset adapter might required to have your Controller connected to an powered hub in order to work properly.
« Last Edit: 03:19 PM - 12/30/20 by alanmcgregor »

Offline d1sable

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: YouTube_d1sable
Anyone have a pre set mix for Warzone footsteps on astro mix amp tr?

Using GSP 600 with it if that matters. Cheers

Offline The prodigy

• MVP
    • View Profile
Anyone have a pre set mix for Warzone footsteps on astro mix amp tr?

Using GSP 600 with it if that matters. Cheers

I use the ones in this video ->

Offline xyphonic

• View Profile
found this in my google drive, its updated too!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15HlnKhiCyGggO4F7cEun99CQafAsoSb_

I can vouch for ZaliaS.  Ive been using his presets with my 2019 Mixamp+HyperX Cloud (PS4 Edition) since the beginning of MW 2019 and they perform very well in multiplayer and War Zone.

I don't use my A50 that often anymore because I'm enjoying Sony's 3D audio with my PS Golds on the PS5, but I tried these with my A50 as well and they sounded great.

https://sites.google.com/view/zeference/home/audio/astro-eqs

And for anyone that doesn't know, there's lots of Astro EQ discussion on the Astro Discord:

https://discord.gg/Ud2Un4B

« Last Edit: 06:06 PM - 01/02/21 by xyphonic »
XIM Apex | XSX | PS5 | G303 Shroud Edition | PS Nav | JDS Atom DAC⇢Subjective3⇢Atom Amp⇢SHP9500

Offline mickyg77

• View Profile
Ya I'm not using an HDMI audio extractor since it reportedly can add input lag and disables free sync. Very sad looks like my mayflower arc may be retired.

I could plug my GSP 600s directly into the xbox controller. Or alternatively I read that the Astro MIXAMP PRO TR works with xbox. Would it be worth getting it? Would my GSP 600s work with them?

Thanks

Offline sandak

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: msutome
Is there a better alternative to spend my money on?
Oh yeah, but I need to ask you first
- budget?
- Which headphones/Headset you have already?
- Is it Chat/Mix knob very important for you?

First, Must Have:
Official Headset Adapter for Xbox Consoles

or
Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller Plus for Xbox Series X|S & Xbox One

Y Mic/Headphone Splitter CTIA complaint

This two gadgets it will allow you to connect almost any headset, studio headphone and HiRes audio gear DAC and Amp to your XBox Series S/X.

Optional for better in-game sound quality: HDMI Audio Extractor.

Devices recommended Budget to best bang per buck to high performance:
1. Fiio K5 Pro, it's DAC/Amp is way better than MixAmp or SoundBlaster X G6, substantial improvement that you will notice $150 usd. HiRes Stereo, there isn't surround mixes but its stereo imaging is much much better for locate sound cues, very directional. Very powerful it can power any studio audiophile headphone you can throw at it.

2. Sound BlasterX G6. Even though its sound quality is not at the level of Fiio K5 Pro it offers surround mix

3. Mayflower Arc MK2. Another DAC/Amp, the power of the Fiio with Mic In and Aux Audio In, and better DAC sound reproduction than any of above. It sounds like a $400 DAC and clean like a $300 Amp for $260.

Until this point we were talking on DAC/Amp devices, two in one, but the best option is to have a DAC separated for the Amp, and this is what is called Stacking, put one unit over the other, you can get DACs for $100 and Amps for over $100.

Starter Budget, around: $220 usd
JDS Labs Atom DAC + JDS Labs Atom Amp or Monoprice Liquid Spark.

SweetSpot for gaming, above average for music listening:
JDS Labs Atom El DAC II + JDS Labs Atom Amp or Monoprice Liquid Spark
DAC Topping D30 + Amp: JDS Labs Atom or Monoprice Liquid Spark

Audiophile Grade:
JDS EL Element II, Topping High End line + THX AAA Amp, etc.

Now the ones on Green Teal, are such an improve on gaming, combined with a good Headphones like DT990Pro, HD600, or Phidelios X2, AKG K701, these... setting your game on Stereo / Wide Dynamic Range, I'm not exaggerating this ones right here are the closest you can get to have legit Wall-hacks, you can hear enemies position accurately, how far they are, if they are coming up, behind, sides and even the moment when they are about to turn around the corner.

For a single campaign AAA game with that supports Enhanced Stereo or Binaural Mix, it will be the best immersive experience that can compete with a true $1500 usd or above Home Theater 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos Speaker System.

The Orange letters are audio experiences that are overdoing it for console gaming, you shouldn't spent on these if you are only using for gaming. Those can work for gaming yes, but also music and video content production/mix is like getting a 8K display to play nintendo switch titles. ::)

Now, HiRes Audio is something that I strongly encourage any gamer to try at some point, but I'm aware that can be expensive but man it gives you a new gaming experience, why we spent lots of money on expensive TV's or Displays and neglect audio, or get scam by the "gaming audio" crap the industry sells to us, that can be near expensive and not even close on performance.

Anyways, but I know sometimes is easy to just stay on a familiar ground, and messy cables is an hindrance. If you want to save some money and keep using MixAmp which you are familiar with, get the MixAmp unit for Xbox consoles, only the DAC, you can find it from $140 usd, but I can't say the audio experience deserve a green teal font color.

Would you recommend these setups for PC gaming? Should I upgrade from my Sennheiser HD 598s?

Admin