XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229274 times)

Offline goaty

• View Profile
Got spoiled too. Been loving my hd800. Wanted to try my k701 and hd700 again just to mix things up. Man it is hard to go back. Upgrades seem subtle but downgrades are way more noticeable it seems. Still waiting on the d70 dac. Been using the arc with thx 789 for a few days and to me it feels smoother and more subtle as compared to the arc alone. Will try to do some comparisons later on. Love this new hobby, thanks again Alan

Offline ThedirtyRabbit

• View Profile
I have a pair of Astro A40 with the mixer and mod kit,

No matter what preset I find I always have issues with people in parties hearing their voice echo. The mic picks up the headphone real easy and I try to keep it as far away from the headphones.

Does anyone have a fix or adjust mic Sensitivity? I downloaded Atro Command Center and and can't find a happy median that's between good audio and mic not picking sound.

Offline Cizque

• View Profile
Ive been using the streamer setting for the mic settings and my mic doesnt pic up anything

Offline ThedirtyRabbit

• View Profile
Ive been using the streamer setting for the mic settings and my mic doesnt pic up anything

What are these settings? I'm on Xbox one

Offline TurboMan

• View Profile
Wow... DT990 Pro is already a very bright (high trebble) headphone and on top you put it more, man you are going to get deaf at my age hehe.

I prefer the Headphone driver made all the EQ, the DAC on the Arc makes it so precise airy and open. I switch back to MixAmp due the Chat mix I was in a -very noisy party chat-, and no matter the EQ I can feel the lack of clarity detail and compression in the sound. I got spoiled.  :(

Nooooo I'm saying the opposite, as you said they're very high in treble so I reduced the highs to make them less sharp  8)

Offline Cizque

• View Profile

What are these settings? I'm on Xbox one

On the microphone option in the astro command center. Make sure you also sync it to device once you chose it.

Offline DanielClem

• View Profile
Love this thread. I have learned a lot thank you guys.  I run A40s from an Astro 2013 mixamp.  The mixamp optical runs to my tv and all my consoles run to the tv with tv audio set to external out = optical.  I have had this setup for 6 years and have enjoyed it, but with the next gen around the corner I am looking to upgrade to next level audio stuffs.  I am no audiophile and am easy to please but would like to experience fully what I can now that I have whatever budget I want.

After reading through this thread, I am overwhelmed some still for what I may want to purchase now that I am ready for upgrading.  I game on consoles and 90% of that gaming is single player games and 10% with friends playing online shooters.  For me what's important is immersion feeling like I am in the game world.  Footsteps and competition aren't the main driver just overall best quality sound the way the game audio engineer wanted it to be experienced in a game from an rpg to a platformer.

Money/budget is not an issue but I read about diminishing returns so I don't wanna let myself go too crazy maybe can get some suggestions for setup (headphones, power if needed and mixamp or eq if needed) in the < $500 range and then suggestions for setups in the 500-1k range, so I can consider what is best for me and how I game on console.  Also, I have seen the next xbox won't have optical so what should I keep in mind about that before buying a setup.

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Got spoiled too. Been loving my hd800. Wanted to try my k701 and hd700 again just to mix things up. Man it is hard to go back. Upgrades seem subtle but downgrades are way more noticeable it seems. Still waiting on the d70 dac. Been using the arc with thx 789 for a few days and to me it feels smoother and more subtle as compared to the arc alone. Will try to do some comparisons later on. Love this new hobby, thanks again Alan

Awesome!  ;D

Pretty darn nice audio equipment you got :D

Yep THX-789 + Arc's DAC sounds faster, you can notice how the dynamic range (how goes from loud to low noises) is increased. Pretty awesome, the true power of the THX is unleashed when you pair it with a balanced DAC, but this is audiophile territory, you won't find any gaming edge, however is an outstanding experience for Hi-Res Music and movies.

About the MixAmp Mic, the Streamer profile on the latest MixAmp has kind of aggressive noise gate (kills background noise but also the voice) Night mode is a good alternative on a less agressive noise gate. Just remember to sync your device to apply the changes.

DanielClem well you have on your hands a very solid legendary MixAmp, no wonder why you haven't changed. After that MixAmp has improve only on decoding 5.1 effects and the mic quality has gotten worse and bit better on the latest releases.

Well, the small and safest step on which you find a huge difference is to switch your headset, for a headphone, the SHP9500 is the go-to recommendation, adding a v-moda boom mic will turn it on a headset with one cable plug, just like your current A40 but with a BIG sound quality difference.

Other recommended headphones are: HD599 (Black/Silver amazon exclusive) has more bass and will be more fun to play with it, and Philips Fidelio X2HR are a bit more expensive yet worth it.

As you may read it before, bright headphones meaning high treble are more useful for footsteps (sound-whoring) but tiresome for gaming, warm or bass heavy headphones are better to enjoy explosions, reverb on caves and music soundtrack from solo campaign experiences.

The next step will be to improve your DAC the device that makes the sound. This is where you have to take into account your console or platform, specially for the next gen consoles. I find it very weird and shady that there is no SPDIF option, I hope they change their mind on it, is not fair to keep limiting the costumers or force them to upgrade to other inputs.

Regardless, independent no-platform or driverless audio devices always will have an option to hook up with our consoles, sound has to be turned to analog in some point and all the better affordable up to the high end sound devices has an analog input.

About immersive sounding experience.
You can take two routes, go with a high res stereo signal or
fake reverb 7.1 surround.

As has been stated before, you don't need a saturated alter audio signal with reverb to feel a 3D stereo experience. In life we have two microphones (our ears) and the best engine or sound encoder: our brain. Here an example of it, get your earpods or any straight stereo headphones and hear this video: Virtual Barber Shop, that's called binaural recording, uses two microphones even with fake ears to recreate how sound is perceive for our head, cranium and ear lobs. Best Triple AAA games has Binaural Mix recordings, some called 3D Stereo, Enhanced Stereo, Binaural Stereo all the 3D surrounding magic has been made on the mix, you only need a stereo headphones.

Contrary to a 7.1 surround device, that has to take a stereo signal, made a makeover, just like when you take a picture and use filters to make it look vintage or old, etc... you alter the quality of the source to give it an effect, and that's whats happen with MixAmp Surround, SoundBlaster X3, X7, Steelseries 7.1 headphones, and all that crap.

Now, the best bet for sure is to get your a great set of Stereo Headphones good quality and a DAC that interprets sounds clearly with a well recorded and tuned source coming from the game.

I'm not a stereo purist, I do think surround sound has its place, like season, spice however very few devices does it right. like the Senheiser GX1000 -which is not compatible with consoles- and the Dolby Atmos filter on Windows. I hope next gen consoles allows us to add this filters on games.
« Last Edit: 06:33 PM - 06/08/20 by alanmcgregor »

Offline DanielClem

• View Profile
alanmcgregor thank you for the detailed post many things to think about. 

My plan is to buy a new headset first and try that out on the current setup before leaving the mixamp as you suggest as safest first step.  I had seen the Philips Fidelio X2HR are highly praised and also the AKG  K712 PRO is what I have narrowed down to.  I see that the ARC Mk2 seems to be a good solution discussed here to connect to the good quality step up from astro headset.  I just have no experience with if I was to go that route away from mixamp setup that my rpg/single player games won't sound immersive.  From what you described it seems like that can still be achieved.  Thanks again.  Any thoughts on those two headphones and a ARC Mk2 fo anyone that has experience would still sound like I am in the game world of say the witcher 3?

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Mayflower Arc MK2 will give you all you need to use high grade audiophile or studio headphones, a open precise DAC with a clean Amp.

For the witcher, well I suggest to go for Open Back headphones, and specifically those which offers WIDE soundstage, so you can feel in that big open world.

Open back headphones makes you feel you are surrounded by speakers, instead of the claustrophobic in your head sound experience that closed headphones or semi-closed (like A40) delivers.

No budget limit, Best high grade open back:
Audeze LCD-X
AKG K712Pro
Sennheiser HD800 S
Audio Technica ATH-2000X
Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro (highly recommended)
Shure SRH1840

In a lower price range yet insane gigantic step up from A40, will be:
AKG K702
Sennehiser HD660S
Sennheiser HD58X
Audio Technica ATH-AD900X
HE-4XX
DT990 Pro

Offline DanielClem

• View Profile
Awesome thanks.  The Phillips are open back also hmmm decisions .... decisionsss

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Ok I get this question often:
Can I Mix Chat Party Audio on the Arc?,
sometimes my friends are too loud and I want to lower its voices so I can focus on the game

Is a way to control Chat Party Audio independently from the Game Audio?

Yes :) Ark MK2 has a new very unique feature, It can Mix a Digital Audio Input with an Analog Audio Input.

MixAmp takes the digital audio from the SPDIF turn it to analog signal and then mix it with the analog audio from the party chat, that's easier (cheaper circuitry) than mix a digital signal with an analog one, this is why the mix Knob tends to lower the quality of your sound.

How to Mix Chat Party / Game Audio on the Mayflower Arc MK2, PS4.
This guide is only for PS4, I don't own a XB1 but if you can do, adn came with something please share.

1. Select the Opt input on your Mayflower Arc MK2 back switch.

2. Connect a SPDIF optic cable from your Arc MK2 to your PS4.

3. Get a good USB Audio Adapter connect to your PS4.

4. Connect Your Mic to the USB Audio Adapter Mic Input.

5. Connect a Male-to-Male 3.5mm extension jack to your USB Audio Adapter Headphone Input.

6. Connect the other end of the 3.5mm extension jack, to the back of the Arc MK2 on the 3.5mm connector.

7. Powering your Arc. Here you have two options, you can either:

A) get a AC-DC power adapter 5V 2A 5.5mm jack - inner positive, outer negative. or
B) Use the USB and connect the ARC to a USB Charger or Powered Hub. Don't connect to the PS4 this causes ground issues, making you hear a buzz.

Connection Summary:

8. Next, turn on your PS4 and go to Audio Output Settings and set as the picture shows:

Setting up your PS4
9. Now go to the Audio Devices on Settings and set it like this:

Make sure you set your USB Audio Adapter as the Input / Output Device
AND Output to Headphones is set to Chat Audio

As the image shows now you can control the volume or the audio that comes from the Chat party by changing the bars OR if your USB Audio Adapter has a built in Headphone Volume control.

This way you have full digital audio coming from your console to your headphones mixed with your friends voice. This is a true digital and analog mix, so you don't loose any detail or quality on the game audio.  ;D

Personally I play socially so I do like to be able to hear my friends and mess around in the chat, another thing that I enjoy is to connect my iPod, Phone or even my vinyl player to the Arc so I can hear music when I'm playing.

And that's it :D 8)

« Last Edit: 10:54 PM - 06/10/20 by alanmcgregor »

Offline misdah

• View Profile
any chance for reup of the 2 files? Thx
And how can I use/translate the Mixamp settings into SBx G5?
« Last Edit: 02:37 PM - 06/12/20 by misdah »

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
Awesome thanks.  The Phillips are open back also hmmm decisions .... decisionsss

Daniel, in my opinion, if you're not concerned with cost you may want to buy two different headsets. Personally I find Audio Technica's to be incredibly immersive, but the trade-off is they lack any bass depth, making them enjoyable for music for a while, but lacking for certain genres. After committing to my Xbox setup, I later indulged in a bluetooth DAC (Fiio BTR5) and use it all the time with my Hifiman HE-4XX planars for music and conference calls now that we've been working remotely. I also just bought my first IEMs after realizing how absolutely terrible my old Bose bluetooth earbuds are. To each their own, but I prefer improved sound with flexibility rather than a top of the line setup only good for gaming.

Offline DelricoDidier

• View Profile
Thank you for sharing and I tried listening to it. Great.
sonnerie telephone portable gratuite: SonneriePro
« Last Edit: 01:19 AM - 06/22/20 by DelricoDidier »