XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 221921 times)

Offline lilnagle

• View Profile
wouldnt u want a closed back to hear better? not allowing sound to exit the back side of the headphone?

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Yes,

Closed-back is not better than Open-back, just different both has its place.

Closed-back advantages:
  • Better if you are playing in a very noisy environment, it helps to pinpoint sound-sources easily
  • Helps to focus on the audio cues, easier to follow it - sound imaging
  • Doesn't leak sound, people can't hear what you are playing (p0rn)
  • Better bass performance, due the sound can't escape

Closed-back disadvantages
  • You can't hear your surroundings
  • You can't hear your own voice, a voice feedback is needed
  • Is hard to differentiate audio cues distance (how far my enemies are) - limited sound-stage
  • Is a claustrophobic unnatural way to hear sound..

Mainly:
Closed-back headphones makes you feel the sound is inside of your head.
Open-back headphones is more natural, feels like you are hearing speakers away from your head.

That's why more expensive profesional headphones (above $200) tends to be open-back, these are trying to replicate natural sound sources for deliver a natural hearing experience.

The ideal performance in a closed-back headphone for gaming is: have great imaging and decent sound-stage.
Some professional gaming headsets does it, like Sennheiser GSP600, Beyerdynamic MMX300, for a budget solution: HyperX Alpha/Cloud, Cooler Master MH-752, specifically these two which in reality are closed back audiophile grade headphones with a mic. Instead of make a gaming marketing gimmicks headset, these companies were smart enough they bought designs (from Takstar) that works for years on high-res audio and put it a mic.

At the end is a matter of personal preference.
« Last Edit: 03:24 PM - 03/04/20 by alanmcgregor »

Offline lilnagle

• View Profile
Can I buy a better headset than my Astros and just use the mixamp as a dac?

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Yes, and is highly recommended.

However, MixAmp EQ profiles are tune so the A40 headset sounds decent.

In order to make your MixAmp work the best, you need to load it EQ profiles specially tuned for the headphone/headset you are going to use.

And that's why this thread; at the first page is a link to Emperor Potara discord, he has develop MixAmp EQ profiles for many headphones.

Emperor Potara discord:  https://discord.gg/nWhKGfG

The only requirement/advice is: to get a Headphone or Headset with low impedance 56 Ohms or lower. This spec should be listed on your headphone/headset manufacturer site.

Some Headsets that goes well with the MixAmp and had EQ preset from Emperor Potara:
HyperX Alpha/Cloud
Sennheiser GSP 600,Game One, HD600*, HD660S*
Audio Technica ATH-AD700X /ATH-ADG1X
Philips SHP9500

* Requires and external amp.

If you use the A40 without MixAmp and compare it with any headset from above, you will release how big an improvement it is... MixAmp DAC/amp is doing all the job, A40 are very bad... even the new model, a cheap Superlux $44 is way better than A40.

Offline lilnagle

• View Profile
my only downfall is that my pc doesnt have an optical output...smfh...im playing on pc....any suggestions with that? or is the usb hook up fine?

Offline Dbizzle88

• View Profile
Hi @alanmcgregor

So I've decided to go with the DT990 pro 600ohms but I've read these are quite difficult to drive.

So for my DAC + amp combo I've chosen:

Schiit Magni Heresy (amp)
Topping d30 (dac)

Do you think this would be able to drive the headphones, or maybe you could suggest a better alternative?

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Great choice.

I suggest the DT990 Pro 250Ohms, easier to drive, sound delivery is indistinguishable from the 600Ohms way better than the 32Ohm.

That DAC/Amp combo pretty good choice.

Offline lilnagle

• View Profile
my only downfall is that my pc doesnt have an optical output...smfh...im playing on pc....any suggestions with that? or is the usb hook up fine?

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Play on PC mode, it should be fine.

Offline lilnagle

• View Profile
Has anyone tried the ATD ADG1x open backs? Heard they’re great might order them

Offline ceebs

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: ceebs_63
  • PSN ID: Captain_Minxley
My review of them is on page 5 of this thread. Alan reviewed them too, on an earlier page.

Where's HL3?

XIM Apex, PS4 Pro, 1TB Crucial MX500, XSX, Allreli T9+, Swiftpoint Z, Aorus AMP500, Audio Technica ADG1X, SB X7, LG 27UD58.

MSI Z97i Gaming AC, Core i5 4690k, Corsair H100i, RTX 2070, 16GB Corsair Vengence DDR3, XFX ProSeries 750w, 3xAerocool Dead Silence, Cooltek W1, 2x500GB Samsung Evo SSDs, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 1TB WD HDD, Silverstone SST slot-load DVD, KustomPC braided cables. And if you've read this far, you too are a genuine geek, my friend!

Offline goaty

• View Profile
This topic got me a new hobby!

Decided I wanted to try open back as well next to my GSP 600.
Got the DT 990 pro and the K701 to try now  ;D

Offline matizex

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: matizex
Hi,

First off, thanks for all the great input and advice with choosing my audio gear  :)

Not sure if this is the correct thread to ask this I will give it a go..

To improve my sound for FPS gaming on a ps4, I acquired the SBX G6, with DT990Pro 250ohm + ModmicUni.
It works fine, but I think I have something setup wrong, as I dont notice much different when comparing the sound to a cheaper USB headset connected directly to my ps4.

The G6 is connected to the ps4 via optical in, and the usb for mic chat.
The high gain is turned on.

I have tried to setup the G6 in SB Connect2, with basic Stereo and with different sbx profiles.
Right now Im playing mostly Cod, so Ive been using the FPS or COD profile.

But still, its very hard to hear the direction of the sounds.

So I was wondering if anybody have any tips regarding the G6 and Ps4 ? :)

Offline goaty

• View Profile
sorry no experience with G6.

Seems I really like open back headphones :D

I decided to return the DT990. They are comfortable but somehow they just weren't my headphones. Didn't really like the sound. And for all the praise they get I was disappointed by the imaging, must be my ears.

K701 is a keeper, but I just really like the way they look as well so I just had to own these. Soundstage is huge and like the sound a lot. For apex legends these make me chase squads the entire game :D

Furthermore I acquired a used set of Sennheiser HD 700. Have to say that I love these so far. Always like the sound of my GSP600, but couldn't really locate enemies that accurately. The HD700 has great somewhat familiar sound and the imaging really works for me.

Currently looking at the THX AAA 789 amp from drop. Seems this would be a nice toy for music as well. Can anyone recommend a dac to pair it with? And how would this work with connecting a mic? Currently use a modmic uni.

Offline Jadehe

• View Profile
greetings @alanmcgregor
First, thanks for the work you do on this thread and the great help you are  providing!

I need your help again and that of the users who can also help.

Previously with your advice and my budget I decided to choose Sennheiser Gsp600 + SounBlasteX G6.
This combination was a brutal change to the astro a40 + mixamp.
But I think I need something better and for the price I invested in this combo (370usd / 340euros) as well I think I can get a better audio mix.

I need you to recommend me according to my needs:

* I am a Pubg competition player and play competitions 3/4 days per week.

With the latest earphone, I improved the game audio, but still don't hear the enemy clearly and safely, I continue without distinguishing the distance or position of the enemy. When there is little ambient noise, it is easy to identify the footsteps, but when there are multiple enemies moving, teammates moving and speaking, shots or explosions, it is impossible to hear the footsteps of the enemy between shots.

In summary, I don't want to be heavy and complain, but I need a significant improvement in sound, where I can distinguish and position enemy steps in the distance and clearly to be able to react in time and be able to win the fight !!

How do you say ... I need to have a radar in my ears

* I play in a noisy environment, where the TV is in the living room, my 4 year old son screams and plays etc
As for DAC / AMP like Arc Mk2, I have searched for everything you have recommended in the thread, (all from USA) But since I live in the EU I cannot buy at a good price and it takes me a long time to get here . would need another alternative with similar characteristics in Europe

Sorry for writing a lot, but I need a radar in my ears and FOV 104.

thank you very much