XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229263 times)

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
Before changing your setup which appears to work with the PS4, I think you need to test your headset wire and chat adapter. Try joining a chat and connecting your headset directly into your chat adapter and see if your friends are still getting an echo. You should turn on the party chat overlay or leave the chat window open so you can see when your mic is giving feedback.

Assuming you don't have any issues with your adapter or headphone wire, we can now try different setups.

This would be your current Mayflower setup if you are following the instructions Alan provided from the manual.

However, if you are sending party chat through the Toslink cable (blue) your setup would be a little different (remove green lines/adapters to the chat adapter). I'm pretty sure the green section is where Mayflower got their Xbox instructions wrong. If you did connect it in this manner, you are now feeding an amplified signal directly in-line with the unamplified sound output from your chat adapter. I believe this would lead to lots of feedback and quiet party chat. If you remove this entirely and change your chat output to optical, your sound should be perfect.

Now lets look at the mic connection. I believe the problem is your headset is a 4 pole and your splitter converts this to two 3 pole connections which share the same ground. This wouldn't be an issue with PS4 because all signals are sharing the same ground from the Mayflower. However on Xbox, when using the mic passthru you are still dealing with two separate power supplies:
1) Mic powered from controller adapter
2) Speakers powered from Mayflower.
You would think the mic input would change the ground, but I believe it simply just forwards everything back to your chat adapter. I may be completely wrong, but other complaints from Xbox users lead me to believe this is the problem.

This brings me to the addition of the Modmic. This is a sad compromise because now you'd be adding a second mic onto your headset so you no longer share ground between mic and speakers. I hope you find a way to avoid this, but I suspect this new arrangement is the only way to prevent ground issues and your mic from echoing.

It's also possible that the mic and speaker inputs inside the ARC share the same ground. If so the feedback would be caused by the internal grounding. If that's the case, adding a Modmic wont help, we would instead need to connect the mic directly to the controller (red dashed line).

I apologize for such a lengthy post and unfortunately I don't have the Arc so I can't test and give you a solution.

I am using optical for the ARC. If I understand this correctly...I can output chat through optical? I don't think I ever seen that option on the audio settings on the Xbox. Maybe you're referring to "output chat to speakers"?. I did try that setup on the diagram( the one with the splitters on both the ARC and chat adapter and I was getting echo. I however didn't see the part where you mentioned to eliminate the green lines on that diagram. I would imagine it is pretty much the same thing as just plugging in the Y splitter off the headset to [ 1 ] Headphone to ARC and [ 2 ] mic to controller input. Doing that still have my party echo on their end. This is so frustrating.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Chat is not going through the optical only audio, your mic should be connected to the Arc, then the chat goes out from the Arc back mic output.

BTW, Great job Himpy thanks for taking the time and share this.

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
I am using optical for the ARC. If I understand this correctly...I can output chat through optical? I don't think I ever seen that option on the audio settings on the Xbox. Maybe you're referring to "output chat to speakers"?.

Yes, I meant output to speakers.
Settings > General > Volume & audio output > Party chat output - set to speakers
If you find games are too loud to hear chat you can change your chat mixer settings here too.

I did try that setup on the diagram( the one with the splitters on both the ARC and chat adapter and I was getting echo. I however didn't see the part where you mentioned to eliminate the green lines on that diagram. I would imagine it is pretty much the same thing as just plugging in the Y splitter off the headset to [ 1 ] Headphone to ARC and [ 2 ] mic to controller input. Doing that still have my party echo on their end. This is so frustrating.

Okay, lets try something different. What happens if you change game chat to go through optical and remove the headphone to ARC? I'm saying connect only the mic input to the controller and see if they still get echo. Similar to my modmic diagram, like this:

Still echo? Try jumping past the ARC completely like this:

If you or your friends still get an echo on both these setups, I have to believe the issue is the shared ground sending feedback to the mic. If that's the case, you can either pursue isolating the chat line with other equipment or just jump to  a separate mic to brake the loop. For my setup, I picked up this Modmic which seemed to be the cheapest plugin option:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RGBFDY/

I just got it along with my AD700X headphones this morning. Two issues with this that make this a bit of a clunky solution:
1) Cord on the headphones is really long, about 2 meters/6 feet longer than the Modmic. Not an issue for me, but if you need the extra length you'll need an extender for the mic.
2) Modmic instructions advise not to attach to mesh surfaces, however, the entire outside of the Audio-Technica's is mesh. I will try it out and see if this is a problem, worst case I'll have to use some stronger adhesive.
« Last Edit: 12:29 PM - 01/13/20 by Himpy »

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
I will give this a shot tonight. I'll give you some feedback tomorrow. I don't have a modic but I do have a zalman clip on. I'll try with that also.

What is that on the bottom of the splitter?
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
What is that on the bottom of the splitter?

That's the receptacle that you plug your headset plug end into. I should have cropped it out to avoid confusion.

Update on the Modmic mounting and cable length:
I was able to mount to the mesh without problem. I'm sure if I tuck the mic away every use it would eventually come loose, but it seems to be holding pretty well. They give you an extra adhesive piece so that's nice.

I actually like the shorter cable length. This will allow me to route the extra length of headset cable up behind my desk to the amp and connect the mic right into my controller on my desk without having a ton of extra slack. This might be a bit annoying using the mic port on the Arc through.

Other news: My Amp and DAC just shipped. Hopefully I'll have a complete setup posted by the weekend.
« Last Edit: 09:03 PM - 01/14/20 by Himpy »

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
I discovered my Steel Series Siberia headset has an audio share port, so I've attached my AD700X headset to it and oh my goodness it's amazing ;D

Anyways, I did a little extra testing and discovered I still have to use the mic splitter on the controller. Trying to connect the mod mic directly into the port doesn't work at all. So if you're following my layouts, add the splitter back to the controller, but only connect the red line (don't need green if you are forwarding chat through speakers). Everyone in my party said my mic was crystal clear even though I think I mounted it a bit too far back.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
I returned the modmic business I had , because of the same issue you're having. I did the setup you suggested above. The Xbox recognized that something was plugged in but the mic wouldn't work. So that's shot dead.

I did however found a breakthrough for the Mayflower ARC Mk1 to get chat audio to work. No echo, no ground feedback. Just clean audio. Only downfall was I wasn't able to adjustchat volume and it was tied together with game audio. I think I may have found a solution though. I will test tonight and give some feedback tomorrow.

What I did.....
-added a Astro Mixamp Pro TR
 * Mixamp connected to console via USB only ( No optical )

Optical still from console to ARC and headphone to ARC.

Mic connected  to Mixamp headset port.
Chat audio output set to speakers so I can hear chat coming out from the ARC and not on the Mixamp.

What I'm going to try tonight is adding an optical splitter ( 1 in 2 out ).
Console optical being split to the ARC and Mixamp. This should in theory enable me to control chat volume from the Mixamp. It could possibly have echo on my end doing
this but if I move the Mixamp game / chat audio dial a 100% towards to chat it may eliminate the possible echo caused by the optical splitter.

If this works , then it'll be awesome because nothing is connected to the controller. Crossing my fingers.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
I'm surprized the other mic wouldn't work, hope you figure it out.

If you still can't get it to work, just use the mixamp as a DAC and use the Arc as an amp. That seems to be the cleanest setup for Xbox, although it would be a step down from running optical to the Arc.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm surprized the other mic wouldn't work, hope you figure it out.

If you still can't get it to work, just use the mixamp as a DAC and use the Arc as an amp. That seems to be the cleanest setup for Xbox, although it would be a step down from running optical to the Arc.

Don't think I can even do that. The MK1 does not have a line in.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
This just keeps getting better, you're right. I just assumed the mic out was an input like it is on the MK2.

While "fact-checking" you on the inputs, I went through the MK2 manual and noticed the Xbox setup figure matches the newer diagram I made, but had the mic splitter included (as I said to do in my follow-up reply). I don't recall seeing this before and I also don't remember the instructions telling you to change Xbox settings to pass chat through speakers, I think Mayflower just updated the manual.

Also, notice you are now instructed not to feed the mic into ARC at all, but instead need to bypass it. This tells me there must be a shared ground within the unit causing problems.

If that's the setup you tried with your ADG1X you shouldn't have had a dead mic. The mic should have worked, but I have a feeling you still would have had an echo or static caused by the mic sharing the same ground in the headset.

In the end, if you still can't find a workaround, I think you need to buy up the business modmic again and do this instead.
« Last Edit: 09:26 PM - 01/14/20 by Himpy »

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
That one at the end looks like the simplest way to make it work for XB1.

I suggest change the ATH-ADG1X for a ATH-AD900X both use the same drivers(speakears/cans) slightly tuned differently makes no sense have an unused mic or paying extra for it if you are not using it.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
That one at the end looks like the simplest way to make it work for XB1.

I suggest change the ATH-ADG1X for a ATH-AD900X both use the same drivers(speakears/cans) slightly tuned differently makes no sense have an unused mic or paying extra for it if you are not using it.

Definitely gonna try the one on the diagram with the mic plugged into the splitter going into the controller. It's definitely a ground for sure as the one breakthrough I thought I found had some really loud feedback when I increase the volume on the Mixamp. It also was picking every audio that was being output. This is getting super annoying. If this last one you suggested doesn't work I'm gonna sell the MK1 and get the MK2 and do this all over again.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
This just keeps getting better, you're right. I just assumed the mic out was an input like it is on the MK2.

While "fact-checking" you on the inputs, I went through the MK2 manual and noticed the Xbox setup figure matches the newer diagram I made, but had the mic splitter included (as I said to do in my follow-up reply). I don't recall seeing this before and I also don't remember the instructions telling you to change Xbox settings to pass chat through speakers, I think Mayflower just updated the manual.

Also, notice you are now instructed not to feed the mic into ARC at all, but instead need to bypass it. This tells me there must be a shared ground within the unit causing problems.

If that's the setup you tried with your ADG1X you shouldn't have had a dead mic. The mic should have worked, but I have a feeling you still would have had an echo or static caused by the mic sharing the same ground in the headset.

In the end, if you still can't find a workaround, I think you need to buy up the business modmic again and do this instead.

So the diagram on the top worked. Mic worked , worked on voice messages ( used this method to test mic and playback ). I would imagine party chat would be fine as this was one thing I wasn't able to test out as I got side tracked with responsibilities. Will do more testing but this method looks promising.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline Himpy

• View Profile
So the diagram on the top worked. Mic worked , worked on voice messages ( used this method to test mic and playback ). I would imagine party chat would be fine as this was one thing I wasn't able to test out as I got side tracked with responsibilities. Will do more testing but this method looks promising.

Is it working with your ADG1X headset and mic or did you still need a separate mic? Just want to clarify if the issue was from the Arc, the headphones, or both.

In other news, Z reviews just did an Arc MK2 review. He didn't really compare it to other setups, but went through the features thoroughly and he didn't have any complaints.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile

Is it working with your ADG1X headset and mic or did you still need a separate mic? Just want to clarify if the issue was from the Arc, the headphones, or both.

In other news, Z reviews just did an Arc MK2 review. He didn't really compare it to other setups, but went through the features thoroughly and he didn't have any complaints.

I spoke too soon. I have no idea how to get rid of this echo. It's so frustrating. Maybe my headset mic is too sensitive? I thought maybe my chat adapter game/ chat volumes were the culprit because I realized I had both at max volume,but after completely turning both volumes to it's lowest my party was still hearing echo. Maybe a bad chat adapter? Well I wouldn't say it is because even the mic direct to the controller was the same thing. Tried two other controllers with the same result. I have no idea.

I ended just getting a wireless headset just so I don't have to deal with this mess.

I'm thinking I'm gonna sell the ARC and just stick with the Mixamp.
XiM3R since ever since.