XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229204 times)

Offline MisterWicked1

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: MisterWicked1
Re: *NEW* Astro A40/A50 TR + MixAmp - Best EQ Presets
« Reply #150 on: 12:55 PM - 11/28/19 »
The ARC MK2 is out now. I was able to cancel my order for the MK1 and ordered the new one  ;D

Can't wait to try it out

Just pre-ordered myself, going to sell my Arc I have now on eBay soon along with the gen 4 A40s I have.

Online AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 02:02 PM - 11/28/19 »
That's great news, the mic input was its achilles heel, didn't work great with many mics. When I stream, I have my Arc connected via SPDIF and the modmic to a Sennheiser mic usb card, for voice clarity however keystrokes are loud.

The ADG1X mic sounds good enough via USB for communication, its noise filter is great vs blue key switches, my friends knows I use XIM, but I don't want to bother with the noise. I will update if the sound delivery was better, love the switch button to change between inputs, though
« Last Edit: 02:36 PM - 11/28/19 by alanmcgregor »

Offline MisterWicked1

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: MisterWicked1
« Reply #152 on: 03:15 PM - 11/28/19 »
That's great news, the mic input was its achilles heel, didn't work great with many mics. When I stream, I have my Arc connected via SPDIF and the modmic to a Sennheiser mic usb card, for voice clarity however keystrokes are loud.

The ADG1X mic sounds good enough via USB for communication, its noise filter is great vs blue key switches, my friends knows I use XIM, but I don't want to bother with the noise. I will update if the sound delivery was better, love the switch button to change between inputs, though

Could of got the USB modmic. And eliminated that Sennheiser mic card. I just ordered a wireless mod mic to try out.

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 05:59 PM - 11/28/19 »
That's right you can go with the ModMic USB or Wireless, both delivers great sound quality.

I will stay with the ARC MK1/MK2 if you are using a 4 pole headset, where the speakers and mic share a ground.

If you are using a audiophile headphone and separate microphone (modmic USB or Wireless) gives you more freedom.

You don't necessary need the Arc, you can achieve similar level of amplification and clarity with the JDS Atom for only  $99 usd (and maybe a HDMI Audio splitter, if your Monitor doesn't have Audio out).

Next will be the JDS EL DAC II + Atom ($400), which sound performance might be 10% better than the Arc (I don't think is worth it, for +120 usd).

Budget and investment wise over the Arc the only thing will be a huge leap up will be THX Monolith 124459 Desktop DAC/Amp ($450), THX certification, balanced inputs, professional studio DAC/Amp and hardware parametric EQ. This will be a 30% sound improvement, but we are in the valley of "overdoing it", this equipment will fit more to some one who besides playing videogames, produce Music.

How much is too much?.
This is the thing guys, you should pay more money for higher fidelity but only on music production, this doesn't apply as gamers.

Putting on simple words: as gamers we don't play a video game and say:
"Hey that AK-47 doesn't sound real (assuming you know how a real AK47 sounds) its burst sounds too metallic, the grunting of this beast doesn't sound accurate" - No.

What we need is great dynamic range, clear precise positional sound, fast bass and wide sound-stage.

Your headphone play a main role on it, but it needs good DAC/Amp to perform at its best.

Next, I will break down the types of DAC's and Amps and its budgets and an estimate of what you can expect from it, in gamers terms how well will help you to improve your gaming experience.

Gaming Audio DAC / AMP Breakdown:

Low (Budget: Free < $30)
Performance: Basic.
- Controller
- USB soundcard
- Sound BlasterX G1 (best)

Good: (Budget: $35 - $135)
Performance: Better volume, good detail, surround and stereo separation. Sound-whoring can be done in some extent, preferably surround off.
- TurtleBeach DSS2
- SBX G5
- Hyper X Amp
- MixAmp (best)

Above Average: (Budget: $140 - $350)
Performance: great detail, immersive surround, better sound imaging (position), good for sound whoring or competitive gaming.
- MixAmp (with right preset) + external Amp
- Sound Blaster X7, Asus Zonar
- Micca Origen G2
- Sound BlasterX G6  (best)
  • Worth mention: you can find SBX G6 on $100 and sounds better than any of these, very close to the next category.

Excellent:  (Budget: $250 - $450)
Performance: Excellent detail, outstanding sound imaging, you can estimate precisely sound cues position, movement and distance, left, right, behind and even top or bottom. Best for sound-whoring and a radar for competitive gaming.
- Schiit Modi DAC + Magni Amp
- Mayflower ARC MK1/MK2
- JDS El DAC + Atom  (best)

Level God:  (Budget: Over $600)
Performance: Godly, all previous, sound performance is just like the game engineers design and record the game audio at the studio.
- JDS EL DAC II + EL AMP II
- THX Monolith 124459
- Cavailli Carbon X + SDAC
- Airist DAC + THX AAA 789 (best)

Mayflower is convenient, because it's an all-in-one, driverless nature and compatibility with consoles + mic input. To make a similar device you need to stack a $300 Dac with a over $100 headphone amp. Schiit Hel its the direct alternative, subtle better sound performance, mic interface and better pricing but its only compatible with PC.

For clear positional audio, great sound stage delivery (through a good open-back headphone) anything on the Above Average and Excellent does it effectively in a way that will give you a clear advantage. More than that doesn't matter, you are not getting more for what you are paying for, the Monolith THX might be a exception if you know how to EQ.
« Last Edit: 06:21 PM - 11/29/19 by alanmcgregor »

Epic1Hit

« Reply #154 on: 07:25 PM - 11/28/19 »
whats new with the mk2?

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: 08:41 PM - 11/28/19 »
whats new with the mk2?
- Arguably: Better MIC performance, I have to hear it, though. Arc ver 1 or MK1 some mics sound "tinny" with no bass in your voice, like a telephone.

- Headphone Input now also is compatible with 4 pole headsets (no need of headphone and mic splitter)

- Button to change between to Speakers (RCA) to Headphones.
This is handy for switching between audio equipment at will, without unplugging the headphones.
Notice: If you are PS4 user this doesn't matter when you turn off the Arc the speakers will sound, and mute when Arc is on.

- It feeds from the USB connector, the AC adapter is optional now (less cables)

- The 3.5mm mic output is also an audio input, so you can connect your phone or any analog device to use with the Arc like a external amp only. This means that you can use MixAmp with the Arc.

Pretty good improvements, sound performance is the same.
« Last Edit: 08:46 PM - 11/28/19 by alanmcgregor »

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
I change the name of the thread because this definitely has turn into a Gaming Audio guide.

Thanks for your interest and confidence. I will edit the first post to condense it better.

Epic1Hit

so ordered the mmx 300 headset will get the arc mk2 soon tell then for stereo on my mixamp xbox settings what do i set them to under audio? uncompressed stereo? i also soon wanna get the hd 660s will that work good with the arc and the astro mixamp?

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Beyerdynamic MMX300 Those are pretty sick gaming headset, where stand out is on the mic clarity if you stream this will be a nice all in one, sound wise the Sennheiser GSP 600 has better imaging and treble and it will work MixAmp without a external amp. Beyerdynamics requires and amp.

That's the GSP600 + MixAmp combo is popular.

Set up your MixAmp as usual using Dolby encoder, pairing it with the MMX300 what you need is to load the MMX300 EQ presets that Emperor Potara has design(at Discord) play no-surround for competitive gaming.

HD660S same issue it needs amplification, directly with MixAmp you don't not get enough volume, to correct drive these you need an external amp in a high gain setup.

Epic1Hit

Beyerdynamic MMX300 Those are pretty sick gaming headset, where stand out is on the mic clarity if you stream this will be a nice all in one, sound wise the Sennheiser GSP 600 has better imaging and treble and it will work MixAmp without a external amp. Beyerdynamics requires and amp.

That's the GSP600 + MixAmp combo is popular.

Set up your MixAmp as usual using Dolby encoder, pairing it with the MMX300 what you need is to load the MMX300 EQ presets that Emperor Potara has design(at Discord) play no-surround for competitive gaming.

HD660S same issue it needs amplification, directly with MixAmp you don't not get enough volume, to correct drive these you need an external amp in a high gain setup.

The mmx 300 is 32Ohm and for the hd660s would the arc be a good choice for it for console?

Offline mickyg77

• View Profile
Would I be correct in presuming Sennheiser GSP 600 with ARC would be one of the best closed back setups for PS4 FPS (I'm a wannabe try-hard FPS player)? I love the Audio Technicas I got (and I'm keeping them!) but sometimes I think I need closed back because I live in a studio apartment with my gf.

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
The mmx 300 is 32Ohm and for the hd660s would the arc be a good choice for it for console?
Headphones impedance is the half of the story, the other part is Sensitivity (measured in dB) which is the capacity of the headphone drivers to turn that power to an audible signal. Higher the sensitivity value, more loud will sound the headphone on its nominal power. The rule of thumb is anything below 100dB needs amplification.

Beyerdynamic MMX300 has only 96dB, needs an amp. Same happens with Hifiman HE-4XX are 32 Ohms but only 93dB contrarly to the GSP 600 is 28 Ohms and 112 dB.

Now you have the whole story: the volume of your headset/headphone doesn't depends only on its impedance or sensitivity, but both.

A good Amp will not only it made the sound louder also it will improve its quality and resolution. (like the 480p picture quality vs 2160p example). This is why we need an amp to power our headphones.

How much power your headset/headphones need to sound its best?
- you can use this Headphone Power Calculator

Would I be correct in presuming Sennheiser GSP 600 with ARC would be one of the best closed back setups for PS4 FPS (I'm a wannabe try-hard FPS player)? I love the Audio Technicas I got (and I'm keeping them!) but sometimes I think I need closed back because I live in a studio apartment with my gf.
GSP 600 + Arc = is the best for sound-whoring, no doubt. I prefer it over my HD660S. The middle are there but no dominant, treble is very noticeable (footsteps are very distinctive without been too loud) and the imaging is so accurate. One thing I notice even as a closed back, its sound-stage was wider than the HD660S, pretty amaze how Sennheiser tune up those cans.

With the HD660S, you have better sound quality experience due the open-back nature you hear like the sound is around you, without surrounding gimmicks, you can position sound cues easily, the sound-stage is a bit narrower, you can hear the footsteps but are very forward. With the GSP 600 the sound feels more inside of your head: focused, is not as detail and natural like the HD660s but GSP imaging is better and is more easy for my hears to recognize enemy footsteps sounds cues.

Hard to explain, but let's say you are in a middle of the mayhem in the frontline with explosions around you and friends avatars making call outs... with the HD660s you can appreciated all the details in the sound, very immersive experience, and you will hear the footsteps in the mix... with the GSP600 you will identify the enemy footsteps first for sure and sacrificing a natural sound detail and immersion. Not saying it sounds bad not at all, I'm saying are more focused.

I think in general, you should have both a Open-back and Closed-back headset/headphone, my favorites are open-back but I can't denied how handy and convenient are the closed-back when you are in either noisy environment or when you need to be quiet.

Hyper Cloud Alphas and Cooler Master MH751, are pretty good affordable alternatives.

If you like bass, maybe the audio technica ATH-M40x
« Last Edit: 05:17 PM - 11/30/19 by alanmcgregor »

Offline ViolaMB

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: ViolaMB
Hello everyone. Thank god I found this debate and now I have a quick question.

1. I have Astro A40 4.gen with mixamp.
2. I play Cod and Bf mainly on PS4.
3. And I am not satisfied with the headset (foot steps are too hard to pin point even with various EQ presets from the first post in this topic)
4. So I ordered Sennheiser HD58X (they are still on its way)
5. Should I also buy FX Audio DAC X-6 as someone mentioned it or something similar in that price range? (JDS Atom is too expensive 170, and Mayflower amp not available in Europe)
6. Where to find EQ presets for HD58X?

7. Should I sell my *new* Astro a40 mixamp and buy something else?
8. I don't use a mic.

Thank you  :-[
« Last Edit: 04:05 AM - 12/04/19 by ViolaMB »
PS5 | XIM Apex | LG 27uk650-w | Logitech G502 | Sennheiser hd58x

Offline Jadehe

• View Profile
Headphones impedance is the half of the story, the other part is Sensitivity (measured in dB) which is the capacity of the headphone drivers to turn that power to an audible signal. Higher the sensitivity value, more loud will sound the headphone on its nominal power. The rule of thumb is anything below 100dB needs amplification.

Beyerdynamic MMX300 has only 96dB, needs an amp. Same happens with Hifiman HE-4XX are 32 Ohms but only 93dB contrarly to the GSP 600 is 28 Ohms and 112 dB.

Now you have the whole story: the volume of your headset/headphone doesn't depends only on its impedance or sensitivity, but both.

A good Amp will not only it made the sound louder also it will improve its quality and resolution. (like the 480p picture quality vs 2160p example). This is why we need an amp to power our headphones.

How much power your headset/headphones need to sound its best?
- you can use this Headphone Power Calculator

GSP 600 + Arc = is the best for sound-whoring, no doubt. I prefer it over my HD660S. The middle are there but no dominant, treble is very noticeable (footsteps are very distinctive without been too loud) and the imaging is so accurate. One thing I notice even as a closed back, its sound-stage was wider than the HD660S, pretty amaze how Sennheiser tune up those cans.

With the HD660S, you have better sound quality experience due the open-back nature you hear like the sound is around you, without surrounding gimmicks, you can position sound cues easily, the sound-stage is a bit narrower, you can hear the footsteps but are very forward. With the GSP 600 the sound feels more inside of your head: focused, is not as detail and natural like the HD660s but GSP imaging is better and is more easy for my hears to recognize enemy footsteps sounds cues.

Hard to explain, but let's say you are in a middle of the mayhem in the frontline with explosions around you and friends avatars making call outs... with the HD660s you can appreciated all the details in the sound, very immersive experience, and you will hear the footsteps in the mix... with the GSP600 you will identify the enemy footsteps first for sure and sacrificing a natural sound detail and immersion. Not saying it sounds bad not at all, I'm saying are more focused.

I think in general, you should have both a Open-back and Closed-back headset/headphone, my favorites are open-back but I can't denied how handy and convenient are the closed-back when you are in either noisy environment or when you need to be quiet.

Hyper Cloud Alphas and Cooler Master MH751, are pretty good affordable alternatives.

If you like bass, maybe the audio technica ATH-M40x

I need help for my audio headset !!  I am a Pubg player on Ps4 in a short time I will start playing competitively and I need to acquire the best sound combination for Pubg and other FPS games.  I have seen many recommendations in this thread but I would need more personalized help.  I am open to any suggestions.  Currently my headsets are astro a40 + mixamp gen3.  My budget to buy my new headset is 200 euros approx.  I need an urgent change because I can't hear my enemies accurately and in competition it is a disadvantage.  I need to hear the footsteps of my enemies as accurately as possible.  I usually play in a noisy tournament in the background since I have the play in the living room because of space problems and not having a gamer room.  Thank you very much in advance to all xim gamers.  a greeting

Online AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hello everyone. Thank god I found this debate and now I have a quick question.

1. I have Astro A40 4.gen with mixamp.
2. I play Cod and Bf mainly on PS4.
3. And I am not satisfied with the headset (foot steps are too hard to pin point even with various EQ presets from the first post in this topic)
4. So I ordered Sennheiser HD58X (they are still on its way)
5. Should I also buy FX Audio DAC X-6 as someone mentioned it or something similar in that price range? (JDS Atom is too expensive 170, and Mayflower amp not available in Europe)
6. Where to find EQ presets for HD58X?

7. Should I sell my *new* Astro a40 mixamp and buy something else?
8. I don't use a mic.

Thank you  :-[

1. Astros are great beginner gear for gaming audio. We don't bash them (support it with tune EQ's). However, eventually it will fell short and are better offerings in the market, way better by about the same budget.

4. Great choice. An amp is a must.

5. Monolith Liquid Spark by Alex Cavalli is another great option, and it has wider distribution around the globe, you might find it easier and very affordable. JDS Atom and this one are about the same amp performance, Spark is more powerful though.

6. HD58X needs specially tuned Astros EQ to sound accurately, I'm not sure if Emperor Potara has released its EQ, but MixAmp is not powerful enough to make it sound at is best.

7. I think the best traits on the Astro MixAmp is its Chat Mix for social gaming, and surround for immersive campaign games, its tournament preset is deficient.

If you don't really use the mic and you are more like a competitive multiplayer gamer, then definitely you don't have the best weapons for the war. A good audiophile headphone with a $100 amp or above will be a huge improvement, you always will hear clearly where the enemies are coming from I guarantee. How precise? well that depends more on the headphone.

Admin