XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 229439 times)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
Alan, dear, please share your successes - news and interesting things in the field of sound topics, and new acquisitions.  What's going on with you now?  I hope everything is fine with you and you are healthy!  🤗 (no pain only !! we need you !!! 🎧🌞🔊🎶
Hi Roman_M!

Gaming DAC/Amps offering for recent gen consoles is pretty much stall, only Schiit launched the Fulla 4 but is PC only; that's it!.

Beyerdynamic is launching DT900 X Pro, still not quite sure how good is for gaming... frequency chart looks promising, more controlled treble, yet Tygr 300R seems a more afforable option.

My go-to game is pretty much dead in the water, player base has plumped down, we're waiting for BF6 or something but still nothing new that caught my attention.

I went back to my audiophile ways, this is my latest acquisition:
HIFIMAN HE1000SE

By far best headphone I have heard, it has an insane realistic holographic sound representation. Every acoustic music piece or singer sounds like is in the same room with me; sweet bass that hits and goes, crips to the detail treble and very well done timbre.

I confess I haven't tried it for gaming... don't want to, because I know once I heard it... it's going to be painful to go back to regular gaming headphones/headset, besides gaming audio is too small (resolution wise) for such a revealing headphone.

That's why I keep saying don't over do it, any $200 headphone with high precision stereo imaging and decent soundstage will serve you well enough, you don't need a HD800S or something like this HE1000SE a $3500 USD headphone.

Get XIM Nexus instead ;)

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
Alan, dear, please share your successes - news and interesting things in the field of sound topics, and new acquisitions.  What's going on with you now?  I hope everything is fine with you and you are healthy!  🤗 (no pain only !! we need you !!! 🎧🌞🔊🎶
Hi Roman_M!

Gaming DAC/Amps offering for recent gen consoles is pretty much stall, only Schiit launched the Fulla 4 but is PC only; that's it!.

Beyerdynamic is launching DT900 X Pro, still not quite sure how good is for gaming... frequency chart looks promising, more controlled treble, yet Tygr 300R seems a more afforable option.

My go-to game is pretty much dead in the water, player base has plumped down, we're waiting for BF6 or something but still nothing new that caught my attention.

I went back to my audiophile ways, this is my latest acquisition:
HIFIMAN HE1000SE

By far best headphone I have heard, it has an insane realistic holographic sound representation. Every acoustic music piece or singer sounds like is in the same room with me; sweet bass that hits and goes, crips to the detail treble and very well done timbre.

I confess I haven't tried it for gaming... don't want to, because I know once I heard it... it's going to be painful to go back to regular gaming headphones/headset, besides gaming audio is too small (resolution wise) for such a revealing headphone.

That's why I keep saying don't over do it, any $200 headphone with high precision stereo imaging and decent soundstage will serve you well enough, you don't need a HD800S or something like this HE1000SE a $3500 USD headphone.

Get XIM Nexus instead ;)
Great !  As always, you will please us with your news, it's great =) You have the best headphones 😳👍 Thank you for sharing your news, have a nice day 🌞
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline XIBangBang

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: XIBangBang
  • PSN ID: XIBangBang

AMG,
Is this the ideal setup?
I’m coming from PS4 with an ear force dss / ath ad-700 and modmic. Trying to get my series x set up😩
Really just fishing for a recommended shopping list to get good positional audio.
Thanks man!
🍻

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Unfortunatelly yes, that will be the "ideal" if you want [email protected] VRR.

If you have a TV like LG C1 with optical output is more simplify, no need of ADC converter just plug the TV optical out to DAC optical in, the Y splitter is necessary if you use microphone to comunicate with your teammates.

If you want to skip all these and don't want care about Hi-Fi headphones DAC/Amp, go with a nice gaming headset, something like ATH-ADG1X or Audeze Mobius.

Offline XIBangBang

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: XIBangBang
  • PSN ID: XIBangBang
Unfortunatelly yes, that will be the "ideal" if you want [email protected] VRR.

If you have a TV like LG C1 with optical output is more simplify, no need of ADC converter just plug the TV optical out to DAC optical in, the Y splitter is necessary if you use microphone to comunicate with your teammates.

If you want to skip all these and don't want care about Hi-Fi headphones DAC/Amp, go with a nice gaming headset, something like ATH-ADG1X or Audeze Mobius.

Appreciate the insight and excuse my ignorance.

Diagram has:
portta analog to digital converter.
to
Hi-Fi DAC
to
Headphone AMP

Why convert to digital and back to analog?
I’m having trouble finding the portta does the make/model matter.
Can you recommend make/model DAC & AMP?
Thanks again

Offline BLKAII

• View Profile
Hey guys,

Currently looking to buy a wired gaming headset for my xbox series x. My max budget is 80USD, can anyone recommend me a good one? I would use it mostly for playing competitive fps games. I was looking at the Razer Kraken tournament edition, any one of you guys maybe tried that out? I like that because it has a microphone mute button, I'd love to get one headset with this feature.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
Hey guys,

Currently looking to buy a wired gaming headset for my xbox series x. My max budget is 80USD, can anyone recommend me a good one? I would use it mostly for playing competitive fps games. I was looking at the Razer Kraken tournament edition, any one of you guys maybe tried that out? I like that because it has a microphone mute button, I'd love to get one headset with this feature.

Alan will help you, he is @#$% good at "what he does" 😉
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
XIBangBang, it should work on ADC mode.

BLKAII budget is tight, HyperX CloudX was a great option, or CoolerMaster MH751

I went back to Playstation for Battlefield, give Remote Play a try, glad to inform it works pretty smooth  :) and it bring us another great option for audio.

Remote Play streams Audio via network connection (Wired preferably) so if you have a nice HiRes DAC/Amp and HiFi headphones connected to your PC (Remote Play host) then you can get game audio feed from there.

Get Audio Router software, with this app you can either mute your PC Speakers or send game audio exclusively to your HiFi DAC/Amp connected on your PC.

How I'm using Mic on Remote Play? well Mayflower ARC has mic input (via USB) I just switch to it on my PS5, mic icon. So any afforable USB Card with mic input should work too, like Syba USB Card.

On this scenario as PS user, you don't need a ADC, and messing with cable setup on your PS5 :D, just connect your DAC/Amp on your PC and enjoy.

Right now I'm testing my new addition: Focal Clear. Hands down the best Hi-Fi Headphone I have tried for gaming, insane precision, is not as wide as HD800S but it doesn't hurt your ears.
« Last Edit: 04:39 PM - 11/19/21 by AMG »

Offline Walle90

• View Profile
Hi Walle90.

If it's Chat/Game audio mix what you need, then you can make it work with Mayflower ARC MK2 .

Set on your XBox that Chat Audio goes only on your Headset.
Then connect a Y Splitter Headphone out / Mic In adapter, on your controller.
Connect your modmic to the Mic In.
Connect a 3.5mm male to male extension from the Y splitter Headphone out to the back of Mayflower Arc MK Aux In.

Keep using HDMI Audio Extractor to connect TOSlink Optical to the Mayflower ARC MK2 TOSlink Optical In. Mayflower ARC set on Optical Input.

This way, Mayflower ARC decodes pure digital Game Console audio coming from HDMI.
Modmic goes thorough the controller
Chat Audio that comes from the controller to the back of ARC gets digital mixed (unique feature) into your headphone, you can use volume control on Xbox to manage Chat Party volume. Less messy than having 3 devices and many more cables.

Hi Alan,

Unfortunately I don’t manage to make it work. For some reason I hear an echo or a double sound when the chat audio from the controller to the back of the ARC MK2 is connected. To clarify, when I move to another icon in Xbox menu I usually hear a single “click” sound but when chat audio is connected thru the ARC it is like an double “click” when navigating thru menus. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!!

Offline BLKAII

• View Profile
XIBangBang, it should work on ADC mode.

BLKAII budget is tight, HyperX CloudX was a great option, or CoolerMaster MH751

I went back to Playstation for Battlefield, give Remote Play a try, glad to inform it works pretty smooth  :) and it bring us another great option for audio.

Remote Play streams Audio via network connection (Wired preferably) so if you have a nice HiRes DAC/Amp and HiFi headphones connected to your PC (Remote Play host) then you can get game audio feed from there.

Get Audio Router software, with this app you can either mute your PC Speakers or send game audio exclusively to your HiFi DAC/Amp connected on your PC.

How I'm using Mic on Remote Play? well Mayflower ARC has mic input (via USB) I just switch to it on my PS5, mic icon. So any afforable USB Card with mic input should work too, like Syba USB Card.

On this scenario as PS user, you don't need a ADC, and messing with cable setup on your PS5 :D, just connect your DAC/Amp on your PC and enjoy.

Right now I'm testing my new addition: Focal Clear. Hands down the best Hi-Fi Headphone I have tried for gaming, insane precision, is not as wide as HD800S but it doesn't hurt your ears.

Thank you Alan. Would you choose the Coolermaster MH751 over the Razer Kraken tournament edition if you would have to choose?

Offline Boonersooner

• View Profile
Hey Alan I just found this thread and I know you know your stuff about audio! What build would you recommend to hear footsteps better for fps games.. I only play cod and warzone on a ps4 soon a ps5 when I can get my hands on one!  My budget is up too $1200 for a headset,modmic, and amp/dac. I read most of your post and it made me iffy on getting the AKG Pro Audio K712 PRO now. Any insight would be amazing! Thank you!

Offline benettonb1

• View Profile
I might switch out PureAudio for Dystrilation later since I don't like a lot of bass for playing games.

Offline ATLRoach

• When your work speaks for itself, don’t interrupt.
    • View Profile
    • Team Ewix
  • Gamertag: ATLRoach
  • PSN ID: OGATLRoach
Hey Alan I just found this thread and I know you know your stuff about audio! What build would you recommend to hear footsteps better for fps games.. I only play cod and warzone on a ps4 soon a ps5 when I can get my hands on one!  My budget is up too $1200 for a headset,modmic, and amp/dac. I read most of your post and it made me iffy on getting the AKG Pro Audio K712 PRO now. Any insight would be amazing! Thank you!

Since you are playing on PS you can use a USB Mic and not deal with a modmic, I personally use a Blue Yeti X.  You can use optical out from the console to a number of Amps/DACs(used Schiit stacks and Creative X7). Headphone preference is a personal.
Roach
PC w/ a lot stuff

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile

Hello! sorry for the late reply

Well that's a great budget you can do lots of things with it.

As ATLRoach mentioned PS supports most USB audio devices. Best path IMO is to get a Hi-Fi Headphone and Mic separately, like blue yeti, samson q2u, hypercast etc, however on PS can be troublesome.

When you connect a USB mic on a PS, PS is going to recognize it as a USB Audio Device, with Input (Mic) and Output (Mic headphone out), the mic headphone out has a DAC... very low quality is only made so you can monitor your voice, not good for gaming.

That's why mic with 3.5mm output (analog) is recommended, and a DAC amp with  mic input.

I know I keep repeating... I swear not trying to sell it, but for practicality Mayflower ARC MK2 is a great all in one option, works with PS4/PS5 and you can use modmic on it. It can drive most headphones in the market.

Using a USB DAC/Amp like Mayflower ARC will allow you to play 4K/120Hz.

Headphones selection is a personal preference, but if you really want a footsteps detection overpowered ones, without breaking the bank... DT990 Pro's will be top of the list, any headphone with this features:
+ Great imaging
+ Great Midrange
+ Great soundstage

Will be great for gaming, miles better than you can find on gaming headsets.

So my best bet will be:
+ Mayflower ARC MK2
+ DT990 Pro or AKG 712 PRO, Focal Elex, HD560S, TYGR R300
+ Modmic or ATGM mics.

If you get AKG 712 PRO or whatever headphone and still have issues to hear foosteps (doubt it) we can give you an EQ to highlight those frequencies. :)

Admin