XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 228917 times)

Offline AMG

• MVP
  • Gamer - Audiophile - Coder
    • View Profile
I'm loving the Schiit Lokius.  The 2 extra equalizer knobs makes a difference in fine tuning the sound how I want.  For fun I can also make the rifles in pubg have a very pronounced  "thump" without it being muddy or losing any detail like footsteps and mag changes.  I'm liking the EQ bands they chose for the 6 knobs. If youd like to fine tune your gaming audio I recommend the Schiit Loki or the Schiit Lokius.  I've thoroughly enjoyed both.  Oh and they can give you a competitive edge by fine tuning the audio to really make those footsteps "pop".  Good luck out there.
Awesome, thanks for share.  :)

I can see being a great tool and very intuitive hands on EQ.

Parametric is complex and not practical.

I just finish burn-in a Schiit Modi3+ and IEM Magni. Pretty amaze of the big leap they did since first gen (the ones I tried), I will make a review later.

First impressions:
Modi3+ : better than other generations on all frequencies, it DOES NEEDS BURN-IN period, highly recommended.

Sound is more vivid and has better resolution, compare with SMSL M100 MK2, not as bright like Topping E30. While is more laid back than Mayflower ARC that put sounds in your face and tends highlight footsteps frequencies, Modi is better to distinguish different sound cues position on a congested sound-stage, has better authority to control all the frequencies and its bass is tight, hits and goes, mid-range has the best decay I have heard on this price range all that means is great for cathodic FPS as for wide battle-royal games, movies and single player games. Treble is soften on the edges, not glare at all as used to be on the first versions. I hear a void on high mid-range and low treble, while it helps to separate those areas, handy for gaming, might not be suitable for music listening with female vocals.

There you go, the TR;TL LOL
« Last Edit: 06:30 PM - 08/01/21 by alanmcgregor »

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: total008575
Should not the Astro Mixamp work with Xbox thru USB? Or is the sound not the same thru USB than optical/aux? Just wondering. Was thinking of buying a mixamp :)
On USB Game audio is OK, game/voice balance won't work.

MixAmp M80 works, not sure on its XIM compatibility ???. If someone I've tried, please let's us know.  ;)

Alan, my friend, forgive me, of course, for the constant questions to you.  But again, I am confusing you with my question.  A friend of mine is in dire need of headphones - wireless for the xbox X series, priced under $ 230.  Help out with advice?  🤗
I'm not a wireless user, trade-off between sound quality hit for mobility is not negotiable for me. Added to the annoyance of having something else to charge... often.

I tried my niece Corsair virtuoso pearl once, it was decent: very good for a wireless, mic sounds fine too. She plays on PS4 and listen music on her phone, is not compatible with Xbox though.

Sorry I can't help you more than this  :-[

Ok my friend, thanks for the answer :)
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
I'm loving the Schiit Lokius.  The 2 extra equalizer knobs makes a difference in fine tuning the sound how I want.  For fun I can also make the rifles in pubg have a very pronounced  "thump" without it being muddy or losing any detail like footsteps and mag changes.  I'm liking the EQ bands they chose for the 6 knobs. If youd like to fine tune your gaming audio I recommend the Schiit Loki or the Schiit Lokius.  I've thoroughly enjoyed both.  Oh and they can give you a competitive edge by fine tuning the audio to really make those footsteps "pop".  Good luck out there.

I'm glad for you, I see they were glad about their purchase 👌, and in the meantime I will stay on loki mini +.  I don't want to change to two regulators) this should be enough for me.  😁
Eve Spectrum 4k/144hz ✓ Xbox series X ✓ Xbox elite series 2 ✓ Jds ell dac 2 ✓ Jds atom amp ✓ Insignia audio extractor ✓Bayerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 ohm ✓ Audio-Technica ATGM 2 ✓ASTRO Gaming ,  MixAmp Pro TR ✓Shiit loki mini ✓iFi Zen Can ✓ Varmilo MA87 Koi with EC switch V2 Wired Mechanical KeyboardMA87MCu2W/WR2BnGJv ✓ ZYGEN NP-01G Esports Mouse (Glossy) ✓ BOSE SPORT EARBUDS BLUE ✓ Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 XB ✓ HyperX Cloud Mix ✓

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Alan is my dear friend, hello 🖐️.  I wanted to ask for my friend to help.  He plays on Xbox series X, he only plays shooters and wants to hear footsteps.  He has no opportunity to buy "Astro a40, and mixamp pro" in the city.  He would like to ask you for help in choosing "cheap but angry". We need headphones with a microphone, for shooters with the advantage of hearing "steps".  I only have the opportunity to turn to you, you are always kind 🤗.  Price $ 230 ($ 230-230, you can slightly more, but a little bit) If you have something on your mind about this.  Thank you friend .

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
No problem ;)

Setup A
Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller Plus - $40
Philips SHP9500 + Boom Mic bundle - $85
T: $125

Features:
+ Turtle Beach detection enhancer.
+ SHP9500 by itself are pretty good to hear footsteps and offers a better sound-stage than Sennheiser HD600, HD6XX, HD650, HD58X.
+ Balance between chat and game audio with a XB1 controller.

Setup B
RCA to SPDIF Converter - $10
Fosi Audio Q4 - $67
Philips SHP9500- $79
ModMic Uni - $50
T: $206

Features:
+ Better DAC than the controller or Turtle Beach AC+.
+ Manual EQ for footsteps increase treble
- no balance between game audio and chat

Setup S
Portable Headphone Amplifier - $40
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - $155
ModMic Uni - $50
T: $245

Features:
+ Best audio for footsteps detection on this budget.

Hope it helps.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
No problem ;)

Setup A
Turtle Beach Headset Audio Controller Plus - $40
Philips SHP9500 + Boom Mic bundle - $85
T: $125

Features:
+ Turtle Beach detection enhancer.
+ SHP9500 by itself are pretty good to hear footsteps and offers a better sound-stage than Sennheiser HD600, HD6XX, HD650, HD58X.
+ Balance between chat and game audio with a XB1 controller.

Setup B
RCA to SPDIF Converter - $10
Fosi Audio Q4 - $67
Philips SHP9500- $79
ModMic Uni - $50
T: $206

Features:
+ Better DAC than the controller or Turtle Beach AC+.
+ Manual EQ for footsteps increase treble
- no balance between game audio and chat

Setup S
Portable Headphone Amplifier - $40
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - $155
ModMic Uni - $50
T: $245

Features:
+ Best audio for footsteps detection on this budget.

Hope it helps.

Thank you very much, I will pass on your advice to him, although he has never dealt with "extractors, adapters, various and other audiophile equipment."  Most likely, he will choose the simplest option.  You are always on top!  😊🤝

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
Alan, what advice would you give to beginners?  Who is the only one in the world of quality sound?

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Portta Analog to Digital Converter has arrived, tried... it works!.

No distortion, very clean. ;D with Dolby for Headphones support, DAC's works OK.

Connected directly to the controller Y headphone/mic adapter, to the ADC to the DAC SPDIF In.
+ Balance game audio/chat works through the XB menu (Press XB button, select speaker icon on the bottom).

XBox Sound settings:
Chat Mixer = do nothing.
Party Chat output = Headset and Speakers

Speaker Audio
- grey out / Not available -
Allow Passthrough = unchecked

Headset Audio
Headset Format = Dolby Atmos for headphones,
Open Dolby Access App, Select a Custom profile and enable Volume leveler, Apply and enable profile. This will improve default volume level.

I tried through Turtle Beach Controller Adapter and Volume is fixed at 60%, this will need a big boost of amplification. Game/Chat balance buttons works.

Connecting the ADC to a Monitor Headphone out, works too but you can't balance game audio and chat.

Hope it helps.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Alan, what advice would you give to beginners?  Who is the only one in the world of quality sound?
The best advice I can give to beginners is:

Choose always functionality over quality.

Functionality determine what you can do or not at all.

Quality, is a never ending rabbit hole you can chase it forever and find always something better and more expensive. There is not perfect headphone, DAC, Amp or one device that can do it all, or best than the rest.

Example: if you need a car to move around, from home to job, etc a compact small car does the job solves that need. A lamborgini or ferrari does it too, maintenance cost a side, on practicality: it might hit every speed bump or get stuck at the driveway ramp.

OK on audio: You need to connect your DAC and Amp ($100 each) using a RCA interconnect cables.
With a $3 pair and make it work, it will sound metallic and strident, you can make your device work (functionality) maybe not at is best, but you got sound.

A $40 silver coated oxygen free copper RCA cable, with oxygen free copper will make your devices sound at its best (functionality)... but there are some made with gold terminals and braided flexible cable for $200, wait, there are an elit RCA cables made of a special superconducting alloy with a proprietary formula priced at $740 (these exist, not joking) and another one even more and more.
yes quality will improve, but you are very far away for what your devices need to work (functionality) at it best.

Offline Roman_M

• Gamer - Audiophile
    • View Profile
The best advice I can give to beginners is:

Choose always functionality over quality.

Functionality determine what you can do or not at all.

Quality, is a never ending rabbit hole you can chase it forever and find always something better and more expensive. There is not perfect headphone, DAC, Amp or one device that can do it all, or best than the rest.

Example: if you need a car to move around, from home to job, etc a compact small car does the job solves that need. A lamborgini or ferrari does it too, maintenance cost a side, on practicality: it might hit every speed bump or get stuck at the driveway ramp.

OK on audio: You need to connect your DAC and Amp ($100 each) using a RCA interconnect cables.
With a $3 pair and make it work, it will sound metallic and strident, you can make your device work (functionality) maybe not at is best, but you got sound.

A $40 silver coated oxygen free copper RCA cable, with oxygen free copper will make your devices sound at its best (functionality)... but there are some made with gold terminals and braided flexible cable for $200, wait, there are an elit RCA cables made of a special superconducting alloy with a proprietary formula priced at $740 (these exist, not joking) and another one even more and more.
yes quality will improve, but you are very far away for what your devices need to work (functionality) at it best.

Thanks for the guidance !
      You are our "beacon in the world of endless sailing" You are the Light that guides us in the right direction!
   🤗❤️

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Thanks for the guidance !
      You are our "beacon in the world of endless sailing" You are the Light that guides us in the right direction!
   🤗❤️
Thanks!, hehe I'm just a guy who got into this hobby after almost getting deaf, pretty serious, I actually learned sign language. Thankfully after a long treatment got my hearing back, now I appreciate it everyday.

There is a lot of marketing hype and snake oil on audio, specially on gaming devices. I made many mistakes, but I learn from others so I feel on debt to pay forward.  ;) :)

Offline Rockyruption

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Rockyruption
Hi AM.... wondering if you know anything about audio technica ath-m50x and how they go for gaming? I've got a problem ...I hate buying online, parting with my hard earned cash and then having to wait weeks for my product to show up.  I like going to a shop,  handing over money,  and getting something in my hand in return.  I'm very keen to buy a dt990 pro and amp etc, but living in Australia,  I can't just go to the shops and pick one up,  which is my preferred method of purchase. To avoid the online purchase I've been looking at what I can grab at the shops,  and it's mostly gaming headsets... but the audio technica ath-m50s are also available locally.  I know it sounds silly and I should just buy the best online, rather than get a second or third tier option from the shops,  but I just really struggle with it. So,  wondering if these ath-m50s are OK or whether I should avoid making the mistake of purchasing,  and just stop being an idiot about online purchasing. Tia.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hi AM.... wondering if you know anything about audio technica ath-m50x and how they go for gaming? I've got a problem ...I hate buying online, parting with my hard earned cash and then having to wait weeks for my product to show up.  I like going to a shop,  handing over money,  and getting something in my hand in return.  I'm very keen to buy a dt990 pro and amp etc, but living in Australia,  I can't just go to the shops and pick one up,  which is my preferred method of purchase. To avoid the online purchase I've been looking at what I can grab at the shops,  and it's mostly gaming headsets... but the audio technica ath-m50s are also available locally.  I know it sounds silly and I should just buy the best online, rather than get a second or third tier option from the shops,  but I just really struggle with it. So,  wondering if these ath-m50s are OK or whether I should avoid making the mistake of purchasing,  and just stop being an idiot about online purchasing. Tia.
Hi Rockyruption!

I hear you and I wish more people think like you helping local economy specially during these times.

Audio Technica ATH-M50s,  are ATH-M50X but with a straight cable (hence the 's') are controversial on audiophile circles-jerk. M50s are very popular with most people, is a fun bass-head headphone; it has a very pronounce bass this makes them great fun headphones for gaming, you will feel the explosions on your head and skull, however very overpowering bass can bleed or spread to other frequencies, like mid-range and make treble duller, these areas is where we hear footsteps and other enemies sound cues.

Bass or lows are pretty hard to do on a headphone, and there are many flavors... do you like that bass that rumbles your windows and can feel it in your chest?... hump! hump! those that stays on the air a bit... that is the type of bass many consider "muddy" or over done, that's the bass M50 produces.

There is another one also popular that is fast and slappy hits and goes away fast, pretty tight that's type of bass very hard to do and not many headphones can do it right. That type of bass is great for gaming and it won't affect other frequencies.

The Audio-Technica ATH-M40 is a M50 with a more controlled bass which improves detail on mid-range and treble, which are the same on M50 but bass is so overpower that you can appreciated right. However M40 is has a lifeless bass, it feels like putting your head in a box, is not that slappy fast bass that I mention before... BUT.

Here is where the Status CB-1 came, these headphones turn everybody heads upside down. Are very similar looking to Audio-Technicas, great GREAT headphones for music production with very snapy bass that hits and goes, present midbass, defined midrange and very detailed treble that makes them feel "airy" wider soundstage, even though are closed back they are not claustrophobic, sound doesn't feel inside of your head, more like in front of your eyes, very easy to focus. Are what we call a "Reference" headphone, and guess what, they are price at $50. Are all plastic build and had a nice oval-hole in the earcups, very comfortable and light but maybe not as durable as ones made of metal.

So, my recommendation is... if  you are a bass head (I'm am) more like a casual player who prefer single campaign, who likes rock, hip-hop then these maybe a great choice for you.

But, if you want the best closed back for gaming, that beats any gaming headset and does bass better than many Hi-Fi headphones that cost 12X more, get the Status CB-1, these unfortunately are only sold online due is a Status is a online base enterprise.

Both are pretty good, I had M50X (hot-rod red with gold Ironman-ish) my issue with those were the earcups are very prone to break in pieces in warn environments, its material crumbles on 6 months of daily use, fortunately you can find replaces everywhere.

I replace them with CB-1 these actually my go-to headphones when I'm trying a new DAC, are very easy to drive, both don't need an Amp

There you go, hope it helps.

Offline K9ozzy

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: K9ozzy
Portta Analog to Digital Converter has arrived, tried... it works!.

No distortion, very clean. ;D with Dolby for Headphones support, DAC's works OK.

Connected directly to the controller Y headphone/mic adapter, to the ADC to the DAC SPDIF In.
+ Balance game audio/chat works through the XB menu (Press XB button, select speaker icon on the bottom).

XBox Sound settings:
Chat Mixer = do nothing.
Party Chat output = Headset and Speakers

Speaker Audio
- grey out / Not available -
Allow Passthrough = unchecked

Headset Audio
Headset Format = Dolby Atmos for headphones,
Open Dolby Access App, Select a Custom profile and enable Volume leveler, Apply and enable profile. This will improve default volume level.

I tried through Turtle Beach Controller Adapter and Volume is fixed at 60%, this will need a big boost of amplification. Game/Chat balance buttons works.

Connecting the ADC to a Monitor Headphone out, works too but you can't balance game audio and chat.

Hope it helps.

What the dolby atmos setting?  Thought you were using the "3D Mode" On the IFI Zen Can.

Offline AMG

• MVP
    • View Profile
What the dolby atmos setting?  Thought you were using the "3D Mode" On the IFI Zen Can.
Dolby Atmos EQ improves Xbox DAC.

iFi Zen 3D is a holographic effect made on the Analog domain (no distortion) unheard of for a entry device.

I play stereo, no DSP or 3D. Set Binaural Mix when available if not then I tried DSP or 3D, but never for competitive.
Mayflower ARC MK2 still is my gaming DAC, great sound signature in a very small package.
« Last Edit: 12:55 PM - 08/08/21 by alanmcgregor »

Admin