XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 135033 times)

Offline goaty

• View Profile
just got home from holiday and my ARC 2 was waiting for me. Just tried it for a bit and had to come back here to say what a difference. I use a GSP600 and was using the mixamp with the potara preset. Until now the headset sounded a bit dampened. With the arc my first impression is that the headset came alive. Sound is flying in from all angles. Have to get used to this, after a long day of travelling it was quite an intense first experience. Will have some more fun with this new toy and let you guys know. Really happy so far, so a big thanks again to Alan!

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
just got home from holiday and my ARC 2 was waiting for me. Just tried it for a bit and had to come back here to say what a difference. I use a GSP600 and was using the mixamp with the potara preset. Until now the headset sounded a bit dampened. With the arc my first impression is that the headset came alive. Sound is flying in from all angles. Have to get used to this, after a long day of travelling it was quite an intense first experience. Will have some more fun with this new toy and let you guys know. Really happy so far, so a big thanks again to Alan!

Anytime!

Congratulations on your new acquisition goaty8)

Glad that you are enjoying it. BTW that's a great audio setup for serious competitive gaming: GSP600 + Arc.

Please feel free to share your full experience.

Hi-res quality audio It is a true game changer, that we have very neglected. I feel fortunate to be able share my experience with you, thanks for your confidence.  ;) :)

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
On the subject of Headphone surround effects vs stereo, I thought I should mention the Soundblaster sxfi amp.

I agree about the reverb effect not really doing much for pinpointing sound, but I have to say that the Sxfi amp does a decent job of positioning.
I thought that taking photos of your ears and face, and making a profile for your specified headphones might just be a gimmick, but it really is pretty good for watching movies. I only use it to watch movies I've put on my PC but the special effects are really immersive with my old AD700's.

Offline Jadehe

• View Profile
Hi everyone!! I need help again. I finally bought SBX G6 and Sennheiser G600 for the theme of the microphone built into the headset. I have connected it as you advised me Alan listens very well but does not recognize my voice, my classmates do not listen to me when I speak.
Regards thank you very much

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
- Aumentaste el volumen del microfono desde las opciones de PS4?, cůmo tienes conectado el audifiono? con un cable o con el cable que tiene mic y audifono por separado?

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hey Alan, I've been reading the PDF from the Mayflower site about the MK2, and one of the things I noticed was  ... "The headphone jack now accepts 4 pole headset connectors, eliminating the need for a mic/headphone splitter."

The ath-adg1x was going cheap on Amazon and I ordered them as a wee treat for myself.
I'm dumb and don't understand much about it, but this surely wont mean that I can use the mic when it's plugged into the headphone jack on the Mayflower ?? (which has yet to arrive)

I've ordered a splitter for the 3.5mm on the adg1x anyway ...  I was just curious about how it all might work.
Saw that the rear "aux in/mic out" can now act as a 3.5mm analog input, and had thought I might be able to feed a cable back from my xbox chat connector into the Mayflower and control the chat levels coming into it in the same way that I did with the sound blaster x7 line in ... but I will be using the optical connection, and I think the line in auto swiches the input selection?

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
Oh and just a heads up for anyone who might be interested ... at the moment the ATH-ADG1x is going for £119.99 on Amazon UK.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Wow that's a good bargain :D!

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hey Alan, I've been reading the PDF from the Mayflower site about the MK2, and one of the things I noticed was  ... "The headphone jack now accepts 4 pole headset connectors, eliminating the need for a mic/headphone splitter."

The ath-adg1x was going cheap on Amazon and I ordered them as a wee treat for myself.
I'm dumb and don't understand much about it, but this surely wont mean that I can use the mic when it's plugged into the headphone jack on the Mayflower ?? (which has yet to arrive)

I've ordered a splitter for the 3.5mm on the adg1x anyway ...  I was just curious about how it all might work.
Saw that the rear "aux in/mic out" can now act as a 3.5mm analog input, and had thought I might be able to feed a cable back from my xbox chat connector into the Mayflower and control the chat levels coming into it in the same way that I did with the sound blaster x7 line in ... but I will be using the optical connection, and I think the line in auto swiches the input selection?

That's right, 4 pole means that the mic and the headphone share a ground all in one plug, now you can connect your headset to the headphone input and the mic will work, without the need of Y mic and headphone splitter. That's how I have setup my ATH-ADG1X

Even, though I don't have an XB1, it should auto-switch from the back in/out put.

Congrats Au1d Yin looking forward to read your experience :)

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
First off thanks for all the advice, and all the best to you and yours at this time of year  :)

Wow ..  I didn't really think the mic would work that way, so now I just need to connect a line from the rear mic out, to the xbox controller.

The Mayflower arrived in the UK yesterday so I should have it after Xmas; but I did get delivery of the ADG1X yesterday and used them with the Creative X7 amp. I'm not a techie guy that sits and analyses everything but here's my 1st impressions of the ADG1X ... I sat down to play for a couple of hours and ended up playing for four hours lol!

What I really like about these cans is that it felt like I was right "there" in the game ... man I had so much fun playing last night, stereo ended up sounding like surround sound ... so immersive I friggin love them  :)
My DT 880/600ohms do pick out certain sounds more clearly, but at the expense of a treble that is a bit too harsh for my hearing ... the audio technicas sound really warm compared to them, and the bass is a lot better than I expected it to be.
One little moan is that I wish Aidio Technica would listen to folks about their cables. I just got them and the cable between the jackplug and the mute switch is like a pigs tail ... I just can't straighten it, and you can't unplug it and get another.
Anyways I'm looking forward to using them with the Mayflower. :)
« Last Edit: 05:43 AM - 12/26/19 by Au1d Yin »

Offline Lucifalic

• View Profile
  • PSN ID: Lucifalic
Ok I havnt read the full thread but Iím looking at a new headset. I am pretty much looki at the Astro a40 or a50. The 50s are on for 300 at Best Buy and I think the 40s are 250.

I mean I was going to get the steelseries arctis pro but the wireless ones are almost as much as the a50 And wired about 75 less then the 40s so I dunno. Donít know what to do. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Offline YOUDID

• View Profile
Just bought the a50s about a month ago and so far have been quite happy with the purchase. I downloaded the omnivox profile that is linked in this thread. FYI, Astros wont work with a  PS4 slim unless you buy an adapter.
« Last Edit: 10:03 AM - 12/25/19 by YOUDID »

Offline hey zim

• View Profile
got some TIN T2 iemís a couple weeks ago. for being an iem the sound stage is great and i hear everything. i bought a $10 mmcx cable with a mic on amazon and everyone has said i sound great.

Offline R3MiX

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: KAMPR-
Hey Alan. I currently use a Mixamp Pro TR and SBX G5. I
In your opinion should I go with just the Mayflower as a stand alone? I don't care much for surround sound. I mostly use stereo. I do however like using the EQ presets of the Mixamp. Do you think with the ARC alone I will still be able to hear footsteps just as clear as I would using the presets? I have a HD58X ,AT1DG, and Samson SR850 for headphones.
XiM3R since ever since.

Offline Au1d Yin

• MVP
    • View Profile
My Mayflower Arc mk2 arrived a couple of days ago, and it's making my DT 880/600 ohms sound much better than they did with the Sound blaster x7. I had the x7 set on a flat eq and the trebles were a bit harsh on the 880's ... on the Mayflower it sounds cleaner / they still sound bright but I'm able to pick out more detail with the Mayflower.

Really like this amp, and using usb for power is great ... man this amp takes up no space sat next to me compared to my x7 and it's power brick.

Just ordered the Hifiman HE4XX from Massdrop ... at $130 with $20 off my 1st order it's a no brainer for me to try them out.

Edit ... having to return the ADG1X to Amazon, they sound great but I keep getting a loss of volume to the left ear after playing for a bit. When I unplug and then replug the jackplug everything is fine for a bit, then it starts acting up again.

Jackplug is secure in it's connection when this happens, and it happens using the X7 amp with a y splitter, and also in the Mayflower without a splitter ... shame as I really liked them.
« Last Edit: 11:22 AM - 01/01/20 by Au1d Yin »