XIM Community

[Gaming Audio] Astro MixAmp presets + Best Audio Gear Guide + Headphone Reviews  (Read 135019 times)

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
Yeah I remember Emperor Potara did it for Game One, is on his discord.

Offline Jadehe

• View Profile
Hello Alan,
 First I want to thank you very much for the time spent looking for a great audio option like the one you propose!  I have various doubts?  Monolith Liquid spark is sold out ... I will buy SBX G6 !!
 Do I have to use Mixamp and SBX G6 simultaneously?

And another question is regarding mixamp, is there any way to listen more to the game than the ps4 audio group chat without losing game volume?  If I turn the wheel towards the game under the volume of the voice chat but also the game and it is impossible to listen to the enemies when the classmates speak ... I need to listen loudly to the game and softer the voices of my classmates

Sorry to ask you so many things but you are an expert in this audio and you are a Savior for the uneducated audio

Thanks a lot again

Hola Jadehe ;) . Gracias por tus comentarios. No te preocupes por el inglés entendí tu pregunta, te contesto en español, ¿sale?.

En teoría, puedes usar el SBX G6 y el MixAmp de la siguiente manera:
MixAmp Salida de Audífonos -> Adaptador en Y que separa micrófono y audífono -> extension de macho a macho 3.5mm -> Entrada de Audio del SBX G6. SBX G6 conectado a un cargador USB externo.

Así, podrías usar audífonos de alta impedancia con el MixAmp a través del SBX G6 y con la perilla de Chat Mix regular el volumen entre el sonido del juego y del Chat Party (tus compañeros de equipo). Es muy importante que uses el SBX G6 en Modo Directo, sin Surround ni ningún, filtro sonoro SBX sino el sonido se distorsionaría aun más.

Pero esa no es la manera correcta, es más no necesitas el MixAmp para nada cuando tienes el SBX G6, este DAC/Amp es mejor en todos los aspectos.

Así es como lo puedes conectar:
Conecta el SBX G6 por USB a tu consola,
Salida Optica SPDIF de tu PS4 a la Entrada Óptica SPDIF del SBX G6.

Después en: Configuración / Sonido y Pantalla / Opciones de Salida de Audio, En Puerto Primario de Salida, Principal Selecciona DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL), activa la casilla Dolby Digital 5.1 Ch y Aceptar.

Siguiente, en Formato de Audio (Prioridad), selecciona Bitstream (Dolby).

Después en Configuración / Dispositivos de Audio, asegúrate que Sound Blaster X G6 este seleccionado tanto en: Dispositivo de entrada y Dispositivo de Salida.

Importante: En la opción Salida de Auriculares selecciona: Audio del chat

Hasta aquí ya tienes todo listo.  8)

Ahora, así es como vas poder controlar el volumen entre el juego y el audio del chat:
En la sección Sonido/Dispositivos en la opción Control de Volumen (auriculares) -este es el audio del chat- ajusta el volumen del audio del chat a tu gusto, el audio del juego no cambia, seguirá claro y presente; mejor que la perilla del MixAmp.

Sé que fue mucha info, espero que me halla explicado bien.

-TL;TR Short Version in english, for everyone-
While you can use the SBX G6 as external headphone amp with MixAmp, is not necessary or optimal. Is better to use SBX G6 alone, you need to use the Optical SPDIF output on the SBX G6 input, set Audio to Chat Party and you can control the Chat party volume through the Headphones Volume option, game sound volume source is coming from the OPTICAL source and it won't be affected.
Thanks a million Alan!  You are God in this section !!  I don't know how to thank you for this information .... A big hug

Offline mickyg77

• View Profile
I went with no headphone budget here and got to try both ATH-ADG1X (open back) and Sennheiser GSP 600 (closed back) headsets with the mayflower ARC amp/DAC. I thought I'd give my feedback since, as Alan says, everyone's ears are different. It goes to say that these are both obviously great headphones for FPS like Alan has already laid out and I'm just going to focus on the knit picks and differences according to my needs / preference. This could be almost more of a closed back vs. open back dissertation.

ATH-ADG1X headset

PROS: Extremely light and comfortable. Almost feels like you aren't wearing a headset and due to the openback design it's half-way towards being surrounded with speakers rather than wearing a headset. The sound imaging is quite spread out. It's nice how in between gameplay you can listen to youtube videos on your laptop without even taking your headset off. There's great airflow and you don't feel like you're cut off from your external environment.

CONS: Sound is a little bit diluted compared to closed back headsets. Would be nice if the microphone could be retracted when you're not using it.

Sennheiser GSP 600

PROS:

Closed back design provides very focused sound. While it may seem gimmicky.. I actually love how you mute by pushing the microphone up and out of the way. This means when you're not using it it's completely out of the way. And you're also never going to accidentally be muted when you don't want to be and vice versa.

CONS: Closed back design can feel a little claustrophobic after wearing the open back ATH-ADG1X.

Like Alan has said he recommends have both a closed back and an open back headset. But since these are expensive headsets I'm going to explain why the Sennheiser GSP 600 works better for me in my situation:

I live in a studio apartment with my girlfriend (no bedroom - bed is in living room). So closed back it better for both keeping the game sound from her and keeping the sound of the tv etc. from me.

Furthermore, my hearing I believe is a tiny bit dulled from working around machines quite a bit through my life. All the time my girlfriend complains about the neighbour playing music too loud and I literally can't even hear it. Or my phone is ringing in my pocket and I don't even notice it. I also have a really hard time talking to people in a loud bar (I don't think my brain is great at filtering an onslaught of different noises). All this goes to say I feel like the more focused, less spaced out sound of the GSP 600 works better for me. If I want to really focus on footsteps it's easier for me to do with the GSP 600. Sound imaging for me is still great and for me it's beneficial to have it slightly less spaced out than it is with the ATH-ADG1X. Sometimes my brain tells me the footsteps are far away with the ATH-ADG1X and my subconscious danger close reaction doesn't kick in as fast as it does with the GSP 600. I feel like if you have a quiet room and you want to have an immersive experience it could be greater with ATH-ADG1X. However, if you purely want to sweat and have every advantage I feel like using the GSP 600 is kind of like applying a bit of a magnifying glass on sounds (like being slightly zoomed in with ADS if you will) and you sacrifice a bit of comfort and wider immersiveness. But again this is just for my ears and how my brain filters and reacts to sounds. So for me if my main goal is to sweat on COD I'd use GSP 600 closed back but if I wanted an immersive experience out of Last of Us I'd use open back ATH-ADG1X.

« Last Edit: 10:32 PM - 12/07/19 by mickyg77 »

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
:D
Excellent mickyg77 thank you very much, for taking your time to share your feedback!.

Open invitation to everybody, participate and share their experience with us on audio gaming is what this thread is about. Show us your audio gear ;)

About your post, I totally agree find what ever works for you. GSP 600 are very unique closed back drivers, even though are closed these have remarkable sound-stage which is alchemy, but only with a very good DAC/Amp you can hear how unique are, yep another weapon in your arsenal for sweat gaming.

Love how you accurately point that out, the compromise between open-back and close-back. Yep, generally wider sound-stage hinders sound imaging accuracy, is really rare to find a headphone that can do both.

Only planars can deliver this mix. The HifiMan HE-4XX are like a mix of both: exceptional imaging, with open-back wide sound-stage no as wide as ADG1X but wider than HD58X /HD660S and very speedy and punchy bass similar to a closed back.

I'm feeling I might be initializing you in a new drug but.. hehehe if you can give yourself a nice planar as a gift for Christmas do it, and the HifiMan HE-4XX are fantastic sounding affordable planar.

Thanks again for share  ;)

Offline Jogi

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: III Jogi III
Hello and good evening,

I´m back with another question  8)

My girlfriend found her Sennheiser HD 599, which she thought she had lost when she moved. Since she also uses the Astro Mixamp Gen 4, I wanted to ask if there are also special EQ settings for these headphones, like for the Game One, the ath-adg1x etc.

Thanks again for your help  :)

Greetings

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
I'm not sure, you need to check on Emperor Potara at Discord.

Offline alanmcgregor

• MVP
    • View Profile
My Mayflower ARC MK2 arrived today -after a big delay on customs-

First impressions:
It feels heavier, same metal housing and quality components that screams homebrew handmade.

Sound dynamic range and performance, is the same, straight.

Improvements:

Microphone Performance
Mic is now suitable for streaming purposes, voice sounds with a more natural bass than before. The noise gate on the first Arc was a bit more aggressive, which was hit or miss because, my blue cherry switches were completely silenced with caveat of low quality voice sounding. Now, voice sounds more natural but cherry switches are noticeable, also it needs more volume than the first Arc, (ModMic5).

3.5mm Audio Input to connect, your phone, tablet, (mixamp) or any other analog audio is appreciated (before you need a Analog to Digital SPDIF converter).

Switching between RCA and Headphones with a button is a nice to have, however if you play in PS4 you don't need it, everytime you turn on the ARC the audio will be shut-down from the speakers. For PC or XBoX switching between sources without connecting the headphones is very welcome.

It doesn't need a splitter, its headphone is now 4 pole compatible so headsets are ready to plug.