XIM Community

Tutorial: N52te Analog Stick Mod + 6 Button Pedals Footrest (no buttons lost)  (Read 84209 times)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Second Prototype on sale in community market this one is exactly like ArcticPengs but has Cherry keys and a connector for external D-pad like the pedals. Not selling the Pedals yet.

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=9337.0
Crusade atm: none

Offline Leto

• View Profile
If you going to do this mod again you could get away with a 6 or 8 wire cord for the analog stick.

It looks like only 2 of the 4 terminals on the thumb stick pushbutton are needed, and the analog potentiometers appear to share the same hot and ground.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Thats exactly why i want to do it again and that can be made 8pin detachable.

Offline AP

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: aGamingPenguin-
Lolz your full on with this init ya roads :D will you ever be happy with it hehe
Quote from: He4DHuNt3r
oh ya I have a on suite bathroom for my games room....... and a shower!

I used to be someone now I am just me ..... :D

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Oh I am quite done now, the lost 5 buttons are used and mapped and if the controller is detachable then I am out of ideas for it lol. Its true I could still use yours, upgrades are minimal but still interesting. I told the sheep to ask you if its really worth to get one and you completely seem to be happy. Thatís good so you as a hardcore WASD player is converted to analogue thumb - awesome :D

Offline AP

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • PSN ID: aGamingPenguin-
:D I would say i am now at about 95% of the speed I was with wasd.
The learning cerve was pritty harsh.

But I think I finaly Have a keyset up that works for me.

Its pritty much as I posted before, but I have swoped Reload and knifing. Works much better for panic knifing etc.

So reload is now on my thumb button and knife is on 09 on the belkin so second finger middle row.
Quote from: He4DHuNt3r
oh ya I have a on suite bathroom for my games room....... and a shower!

I used to be someone now I am just me ..... :D

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
I saw your config and its pretty much hopping around the whole keyboard of the N52te-roads . For people not as beast as Peng with the keaboard I really recommend to find a nice config that has your fingers rest on 4 keys and the thumb on the stick. Do not use the push down of the mushroom, its too much force needed (the mod can take it though), and don't use the button below the stick. Maybe your left index can hop to the right but dont do more. Your brain will have enough to do with those four fingers. I really tried and thought alot about a good config using most used fingers and commands and command combinations. Alot of combinations for crouch/run/jump/shoot/ADS do not work well. Check the configuration pictures it will give you some ideas.

Offline Leto

• View Profile
Does the xim3 allow having 3 components active at the same time? (keyboard + mouse + Joystick)

If it does i might try doing this mod with a PS3 nav controller now that the n52te will be reclassified as a keyboard in the next firmware update.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
You did not get the special idea of this mod did you? Where does the Joystick come from I transplant? Hmm? You can answer yourself why the Nav controller joystick will not work.

Offline Leto

• View Profile
You did not get the special idea of this mod did you?
Apparently not.

The joystick would come from the PS3 nav controller.
N52te and PS3 controller would both be connected to the Xim3 with a USB hub. (assuming the Xim will recognize them both)
Joystick from the PS3 would be moved to the n52te in the same fashion as in your mod.
This would leave the Xbox controller unmoded so it would still be usable for killstreaks and vehicles.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
My mod takes the stick of the authentication controller that is just lying around you can not connect the Nav and the N52te at once so you cant take the Navs stick. Even if it would work why the hell would you like to connect a fourth device when its the same pain in the aass to desolder the thumbstick from any device. And no you cant leave it in place.

Offline Leto

• View Profile
Looks like maybe they can both be connected.

http://www.xim3.com/community/index.php?topic=8024.msg95985#msg95985

The reasons would be;
The nav controllers PCB might be easier to hide inside the n52te than the Xbox controllers was.
Also many might want to keep the Xbox controller intact to control vehicles, kill-streaks, etc. or want to us a Razer onza as the auth. controller without removing the analog stick.

But since you seem to have a bad attitude about it, I'll leave you to continue double wiring DPST switches and wondering why two 10K potentiometers in parallel don't work.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
I had a bad day yesterday thinking your some smartass just not getting it, I am sorry about that.
I do dislike the hub idea as I am allergic to cable salad and additional devices but you are right the navs pcb could be a fit.  Its however no easy one and for sure only with dremeling work on the N52te, theres not much room in there. Might be better and easier to have the NAV housing and PCB dangling on the cable outside the N52te. The Nav should work without battery I guess? Keep in mind also, that to start the NAV you have to press the Sony button. At least its so on the PC so you will need to map that on the N52te somewhere.
About the Potentiometers in parallel I really thought it would work as two 5k resistors also do on the pcb, the double wiring of the DPST is a bit stupid realized that later but I had the 10 wire cable anyway. I am no EE after all and wish someone else would have made himself the work. I do this by collecting information on the net. In fact my tutorials are the few on the net, beginners can use and get somewhere. I am sure there are people who can do it better than me, they just dont do the things we need.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Corrected tutorial to 8 wire cable and only two pins to connect for push down stick.

Offline mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
You should consider adding a final pic to the top of your mod threads. The videos are a nice touch, but a quick pic would be great. It's sort of a pain scrolling through so many high resolution pictures to get to the final pics.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Admin