XIM Community

Tutorial: N52te Analog Stick Mod + 6 Button Pedals Footrest (no buttons lost)  (Read 83373 times)

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
THIS IS IMPORTANT, THE BIGGEST RISK TO YOUR CONTROLLER PCB IS NOT THE DESOLDERING BUT THE RESOLDERING OF THE TRIGGER 3-LEGGED POTENTIOMETER. YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO SLIDE IT IN WITHOUT PRESSURE, SO DESOLDER ANYTHING FROM THE PINS AND THE HOLES! IF YOU DONT, YOU LIFT THE SOLDERING PLATE FROM THE PCB WHEN PUTTING IT BACK IN AND IT CAN BE DAMAGED!
Crusade atm: none

Offline sebastian9

• MVP
    • View Profile
I haven't looked through the thread to see if your question was answered roads, but that piece you're referring to is called a "ribbon connector" or an "amp-latch connector". Good luck.

Offline abc123

• MVP
  • It's as easy as ABC 123
    • View Profile
    • unofficial xim api cloud for configs
  • Gamertag: Dr Donkey Kong
I finally had time to work on this again.  Unfortunately my remote joystick appears to always be going right.  On the xbox menu.  I'm heading to bed but anyone have any ideas?  I'm using a xbox1 pedometer as my remote joystick.  Up and Down both work perfect.

I can take pictures if needed.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Cable could be too long (stay below 2m) and recheck the cable contacts and that you wired them the same. Sounds to me like you reversed all or some cables or two cables touch each other.
« Last Edit: 04:15 AM - 03/10/11 by roads »

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Cable could be too long (stay below 2m) and recheck the cable contacts and that you wired them the same. Sounds to me like you reversed all or some cables or two cables touch each other.

I'll take some images when I get home.  I've rewired it 3 times, nothing is touching.  The 3 pedometer wires might be crossed, (they are identical from pedometer to pedometer but the xbox1 controllers are sideways not up and down when referring to the push button. 

Thanks for the reply, i'll take some pictures or make a video.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
The potentiometer cables do not cross.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hey is the xbox 1 controller potentiometer joystick 10k??

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Hey is the xbox 1 controller potentiometer joystick 10k??

hey dude.  I went ahead and removed all the wires and then just soldered the xbox 1 joystick on...it appears to be working.

heere is the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPbFlmuTtYs
« Last Edit: 06:26 PM - 03/10/11 by abc123 »

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Added Video with issue.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
OK so you have very thick cables there and you heated up the soldering points a lot they are dark brown the pcb is quite toasted. You can try thinner and for testing a very short cable, rip appart a Network cable for example. I think this will not solve the problem. I think you damaged the contact plates and if you just move the whole thing a bit its disconnected. The right left movement is done by the upper potentiometer and the forward back with the left potentiometer if you look from above.
Resolder the stick, get a new controller and do not desolder the joystick from the controller pcb but just remove the drums and cut the line in the potentiometer box as I showed.
If it starts moving it means the 5k resistance is gone in one direction so the middle pin has no 5k resistance to the side pin.
Try other wires if that is not working you damaged the controller pcb. If you resolder the joystick the plate seems to have contact again .

For example Arctics controller pulled the trigger all the time. Same issue, I seem to have damaged the contact point when resoldering, I was lifting the contact plate as I did not desolder it enough. I was able to solder a bridge to the pcb but it was not stable enough so we took another controller. The new controllers with the shiny X are worse in quality sadly.

SO to sum up I think the problem is a PCB board contact.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
I just saw in the video that you stuck the cables through the pcb holes and soldered them then. Imagine a plate with a hole in them. There is much more contact if you solder on the plate as if you solder at the hole rim. Try to solder like I did in the pictures. If it works you may have to hotglue after you set back the trigger plastic.

Your problem is definitely at the PCB contact.

!  !  !
    x x x
  x
  x
  x

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
You can also add me on Live if you want to talk.

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
The brown is flux, not pcb burn marks.  Going through the pcb board created a fine join according to the multi-meter.  It appears to be the pedometer.  fried request added.

Offline roads

• MVP
    • View Profile
K I guess you went to bed talk to you later. If itís the joystick itís the best case. Wheres the joystick you desoldered?

Offline abc123

• MVP
    • View Profile
Completely working and awesome with cat5e cable.