XIM Community

[ACTIVE] xBox controller wont connect to functioning Apex  (Read 161 times)

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: HonorableSnipeD
My Apex seems to work in every way as I can get other things to connect to it and change profiles and such. I have 2 xBox controllers but wont show up in manager. I performed a reset as well.
« Last Edit: 10:25 AM - 04/14/19 by OBsIV »

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: xBox controller wont connect to functioning Apex
« Reply #1 on: 04:52 AM - 04/14/19 »
The Xbox controller needs to be a genuine first-part Microsoft device. The USB cable connecting the controller to XIM Apex must be capable of data and power. Play-and-charge cables do not work as they don't have support data.

Also be sure to turn the console on via the power button, not the controller, or the controller connection will bypass the XIM.

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
Yes, it has been working for many months, now it does not. Tried different cables as well.

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
Need RMA help.

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
We will first need to verify an RMA is needed. The good news is that most issues are setup related and can be solved remotely.

Could you please start by performing a hard reset on your console? This can clear a console USB bug that prevents the controllers from being used in wired mode with the console.

Press and hold the power button on the front of the console for 15 seconds. Once off unplug the power cable to the console for 60 seconds. Reconnect the power cable and power on the console. Attach all peripherals to XIM then connect XIM to the console.

Note that removing the power cable while off has been reported as necessary by some users.
Have a problem with your XIM APEX? Find a solution in the XIM APEX Support FAQ
XIM APEX Quick Start Guide   |   XIM Instructional Videos

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
No change, wont power on the controller. One quick vibe then nothing. Apex red,yellow,green, then blue.

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Let's try using the controller direct with the console next to verify it can be used in wired mode. Please use the steps below.

Disconnect XIM
Remove controller battery ( important )
Connect controller directly to console

Does the controller light turn on automatically without pressing buttons?

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
Yes

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Good. We should verify the controller can authenticate with APEX using direct connection next. This will tell us whether the hub is at fault or an attached peripheral is conflicting. Please run this test.

Disconnect APEX
Disconnect hub
Connect controller directly to APEX
Connect APEX to console
Watch APEX startup lights

Do you see 4x green lights during APEX's startup light sequence? For reference the startup light sequence should look similar to this:

red, green, blue
red
green, green, green, green
red

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
Sorry the YES earlier was it does work but dont come on with system. I had to turn on the controller with direct connection to xBox. I have been running one cable to XIM to narrow down the issue. I get red, yellow, green, blue then the color of newly installed profile.

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
I had to turn on the controller with direct connection to xBox.

The controller doesn't turn on with direct connection to Xbox (no APEX, no battery) unless you press the xbox button to turn it on?

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
Right

Online mist4fun

• Global Moderator
  • MVP
    • View Profile
Thanks for confirming, that makes more sense to me. With the controller not turning on by itself using direct connection, without a battery, and without pressing a button this is pointing toward a communication issue between the console and controller. This can be caused by the console port, cable, or controller. Usually this is a cable issue, it's not uncommon for a person to try multiple data cables before finding one that works their controller. I recommend testing other ports on the console, if this doesn't help then continue testing other cables. I've shared a cable recommendation below if this is needed.

If the cables you have on hand are not resolving the issue and you're wanting to try others I recommend cables by amazon or anker.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-3-Pack-PowerLine-Micro-USB/dp/B015MJLEUS
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Male-Micro-Cable-Black/dp/B0719H12WD

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
OK, I have tried some other cables, but not sure if they worked before. I have an elite controller that I had been using, but it dont connect with out batteries.

Offline SnipeD

• View Profile
Ok I have tried 4 cables now. 3 work fine 1 don't at all. Tried all 3 ports but none of them will turn on the controller.