XIM Community

External hard drive recommendations  (Read 312 times)

Offline Delttaz

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Deltaz
External hard drive recommendations
« on: 02:14 PM - 04/09/19 »
Does anyone have any experience using external hard drives on Xbox One? I'm thinking about either getting the Seagate 4TB or Seagate 8TB. The 8TB has 2 extra usb slots on the hard drive itself. And I was wondering if the Xim could run through that as an extra power source? I think the slots might be usb 3.0 though which the xim doesn't support usb 3.0 right?

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: External hard drive recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 04:22 PM - 04/09/19 »
You'll need to find out if the 8TB drive will work with XB1.

Also, do not use the HDD USB ports for XIM. Give XIM its own USB port on the console or you may suffer from power issues and disconnects.

XIM works fine on USB 3.0 ports. All PS4 ports are USB 3.0, I'm not 100% sure if that's the case on XB1, but at least one of them must be to support external HDDs.

What XIM may not be compatible with is USB 3.0 hubs, if that hub does not fully support USB 2.0. I've never personally come across a 3.0 hub that didn't work with a XIM, but it must have popped up enough times with XIM tech support that it's flagged as a potential issue.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Delttaz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04:57 PM - 04/09/19 »
According to the title on Amazon it works with Xbox One. And I kind of figured the xim probably wouldn't work all that well plugged in to the hard drive itself. But it does have it's own power supply that plugs in to a power outlet then it has usb to plug in to the Xbox to transfer games and what not.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 08:24 PM - 04/09/19 »
You can always try it, but I'd use those ports for something other than a XIM.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline Delttaz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08:43 PM - 04/09/19 »
You can always try it, but I'd use those ports for something other than a XIM.
Alright. I'll probably just use them for like charging my phone or something like that. 

Offline Antec800

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Antec800
« Reply #5 on: 09:13 PM - 04/09/19 »
I would not waste money with a 4tb or 8tb hdd find a 500gb-1tb ssd instead

Offline Delttaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09:28 PM - 04/09/19 »
I would not waste money with a 4tb or 8tb hdd find a 500gb-1tb ssd instead
How come? I'm looking into them for more space.

Offline Gamer4life

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03:40 PM - 04/10/19 »
SSD allow for faster load times than HDDs. I have a Samsung T5 i believe itís called. Anyways, the price differences are significant as my Samsung was $100 for 500gigs and you could probably get a 4tb HDD for around the same price.
SSD= faster load times, more expensive so probably not going to want to buy over a TB

HDD= Storage only option, better prices for large storage I.e. 4tb+

Just to clarify Iím speaking about external SSDs not internal.
« Last Edit: 03:44 PM - 04/10/19 by Gamer4life »

Offline Delttaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04:41 PM - 04/10/19 »
SSD allow for faster load times than HDDs. I have a Samsung T5 i believe itís called. Anyways, the price differences are significant as my Samsung was $100 for 500gigs and you could probably get a 4tb HDD for around the same price.
SSD= faster load times, more expensive so probably not going to want to buy over a TB

HDD= Storage only option, better prices for large storage I.e. 4tb+

Just to clarify Iím speaking about external SSDs not internal.
To be honest I'm just looking for more space. The faster load times of SSD doesn't interest me much. Also the near $200 for a SSD is kind of more than what I would want to spend for not that much space. The HDD I'm looking at is $130 for 4TB of space.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #9 on: 05:21 PM - 04/10/19 »
I use a SSHD internally on my consoles as a compromise between fast loads and high capacity. But I also use an external HDD so I'm not constantly swapping games on and off a SSD, which I had to do prior to the SSHD.

A 1TB SSD is not enough (about 800GB of usable space) if you play more than a few games. We get a lot of content these days from PS Plus and XBL Gold, so extra storage space is handy.

Offline Delttaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10:52 PM - 04/10/19 »
I have a lot of different games I would like to go back and play, but having the limited amount of space is a problem for me. And I just don't care for having to download delete and redownload games all the time. So that's the main reason for wanting a decent amount of space.

Offline Gamer4life

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 04:19 AM - 04/11/19 »
I have a lot of different games I would like to go back and play, but having the limited amount of space is a problem for me. And I just don't care for having to download delete and redownload games all the time. So that's the main reason for wanting a decent amount of space.

Go for the HDD if itís just about storage. I bought the sea gate 4Tb at Game Stop months ago. Maybe thereís a sale.

Offline Delttaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09:49 AM - 04/11/19 »
Amazon has the 4TB Seagate HDD for $120. Before I buy it I'll probably check at my local GameStop to see if they have a better deal.

Offline MrBrutalFrosty

• Australian Youtuber 1.6k Subs All Things FPS COD
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: MrBrutalFrosty
  • PSN ID: Mr_Brutal_Frosty Youtube: MrBrutalFrosty
« Reply #13 on: 11:18 PM - 04/13/19 »
I use a 500GB MX crucial SSD and a 2TB seagate mine for heaps of storage :D thoguht id throw my setup in i find 2 TB is more than enough as i own MANY games and just put the must have keepers on the external hard drive