XIM Community

Connecting PS4 and Xbox One controllers to one Xim4  (Read 205 times)

Offline mbx

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: Mbx
  • PSN ID: mbx
Hi,

I was trying to connect both consoles to my Xim4 (not at the same time of course) and I tried going the usb hub and a usb splitter. Let me explain my setup and perhaps someone can guide me to fixing this issue or getting better hardware that will work for the scenario I'm trying to achieve.

I have a
1. Usb hub
2. Y Usb splitter

So the usb hub 2 inputs are plugged into the ps4 and xbox one

Then I plugged the cable from my xim4 C port into the the output of the usb hub

Then with the Y usb splitter, I plugged each of those to the ps4 and xbox console controllers.

So when I tested it, it doesn't work quite right.  What I mean by that, the xim4 doesn't connect to either of the controllers.  But when I unplugged one of the controllers, it detected it just fine. So it seems that I can't have both controllers connected to that 3 dot port of the xim4. I was thinking perhaps if I found a usb splitter that had a toggle switch between the two controllers, would that work?

Is this setup to complex and can anyone recommend perhaps a better way of sharing the xim4 with both consoles.  I don't want to unplug each controller and reconnect it everytime.

Thanks,

Tony

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
Re: Connecting PS4 and Xbox One controllers to one Xim4
« Reply #1 on: 03:27 AM - 04/07/19 »
You can't have both controllers connected at the same time. Only connect the authentication controller for that console to the XIM. Also, the controller won't authenticate through a USB switch, it needs to be connected direct to XIM4.

I use 2 x IOGear GUS404 USB switches in my setup. One to swap m,kb & Azeron between XIM, PC & Mac, the other to swap the XIM between PS4, PS3, XB1 & 360. In every use case, the controller must be swapped to use that console.

It may be possible to use a USB hub with power switches for each port to manage the controllers. Connect the USB hub to XIM and power on only the port for the console that you're using.

So...that'd be -

controllers > USB hub > XIM4 > USB switch > consoles

I bought a Sabrent USB hub for this reason, but it's just easier and creates less clutter to manually swap the controllers. PS4 & XB1 use the same micro-USB cable, so it's as simple as swapping the controller and you're done.
« Last Edit: 03:42 AM - 04/07/19 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline mbx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06:19 PM - 04/07/19 »
But manually switching constantly over period of a few months to years would cause stress on the port and much more wear and tear than normal that could cause some issues with the ports that are being constantly swapped out. Also, what was the IO gear setup you mention? Can you take some pictures so I can get a good idea how you have your setup? The Powered switch for the controller seems to be the way to go. So, I'll try that route.  Also which exact IO Gear hardware are you using? 

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #3 on: 06:28 PM - 04/07/19 »
It's not a powered switch for the controllers, it needs to be a straight USB hub with power buttons for each individual port, like this one - https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-4-Port-Individual-Switches-HB-UM43/dp/B00JX1ZS5O/

I've been swapping my controllers since day one of XB1 and PS4 with zero issues on XIM4 and XIM Apex, but the Sabrent USB hub should do the job into the XIM if you want to keep them wired at all times.

The Ugreen USB switch will work fine from the XIM to the consoles, but I prefer the GUS404 because I can run a USB cable to a 5V wall adapter to add supplemental power to the setup.

I can't take pictures, my setup is way too complex to make sense of in a photo and much of the wiring is tucked away out of sight.

In short, for your setup -

Controllers > Sabrent USB hub > XIM4 > Ugreen USB switch > consoles

Mouse & keyboard go into XIM4 too. Turn the controller power on via the Sabrent USB hub only for the console you're using at the time.

[edit] Sorry, I forgot you were on XIM4, updated.
« Last Edit: 06:35 PM - 04/07/19 by antithesis »

Official Australian distributor for XIM Apex, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad

Offline mbx

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06:49 PM - 04/07/19 »
Do you think I should get the Switch that comes with an external power adapter?

Thank you so much for your response thus far, btw.  That's the only hardware that I need to get to complete this setup? I forgot to mention that I have a dedicated K/M for the Xim4 between the two consoles, and I have another Same exact Keyboard, but the only difference is that it's the same mouse, On the Xim4 it's connected wirelessly, and when I go to my pc, i have it hardwired to that with another USB hub switch between my 2 pcs. It's crazy thinking about the setup.

Offline mbx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06:53 PM - 04/07/19 »
On an unrelated topic, do you see a massive difference between the Xim4 and Xim Apex? If so, what are they?

Online antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #6 on: 07:09 PM - 04/07/19 »
External power isn't needed if you're using wireless m/kb. I only have it in my setup due to power drain.

XIM Apex runs at 125, 250, 500 & 1000Hz, so the mouse tracking is noticeably smoother. Higher polling also supports lower mouse DPI values than XIM4 without the pixel-skipping.

Apex also has chat passthrough, if you use a headset connected to the controller. Ballistics is more granular and there are more fine-tuning options on Apex. But, XIM4 with SA3 firmware is a really tidy setup and you may not notice enough performance difference to justify the upgrade.