XIM Community

How bad is the input lag on the XIM3?  (Read 10568 times)

Offline Blucid

• View Profile
How bad is the input lag on the XIM3?
« on: 10:10 PM - 12/20/10 »
Ill start off by saying this thing looks and looks like it performs like a beast. Just one question I have it how bad is the input lag?

I have bought so many of these types of products and the just plain suck, I am a very sensitive gamer and the slightest input lag makes me want return the item. Is it true 1:1 ratio just like a mouse and keyboard + PC or is there a 100ms - 400ms input lag like the other things out there on the market.

I am interested, just not interested in dropping money for the 4th time and being disappointed.

I would be Using a regular Keyboard and a Razer Diamondback G3.

Offline sebastian9

• MVP
    • View Profile
Re: How bad is the input lag on the XIM3?
« Reply #1 on: 10:36 PM - 12/20/10 »
100ms - 400ms :o ? Try more like 100^1/100 ms.

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 10:46 PM - 12/20/10 »
Timing is *everything* in XIM3 (I've mentioned this before many times). Input from XIM3 is exactly synchronized with the console. The firmware on the device is "bare metal" (no OS or generic USB stack). It's designed such that talking about mouse USB poll rates are irrelevant.

So, to answer your question, the time it takes your button press or mouse move to be "translated" and shipped off to the console is 12ms -- guaranteed.

If fact, if XIM3 *ever* misses an input event or ever misses a report back to the console, it'll acutally display an error and freeze. This way, we'll know if it ever happens in the field. If it does happen, it'll generate support calls and cost to me, but, I rather this happen and we address the problem rather than the customer having a sub-optimal experience.
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline Soulo

• MVP
  • Origin: Soulo13
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Soulo13
  • PSN ID: TheRealSoulo
« Reply #3 on: 10:49 PM - 12/20/10 »
Ahh that is really good to know now I am even more pumped than before. 

I do have one question though, I read somewhere on the site that you will have to have a wired controller plugged in at all times?  Where or what type of controller should I get if this is the case?  I mean I thought they were all wireless with rechargeable batt's now a days.

Thanks!
Community TS3 Server (US Central) - Console and PC Gaming
Server Address: justgame.teamspeak3.com:8670

you're not a hardcore gamer until you snort coke off your mousepad in the middle of a quake duel
Think to yourself "is this something an idiot would post?" ... If the answer to either of those questions is "yes" then you probably shouldn't post it

Offline Gods AFK

• MVP
  • Your not in hell, that's just Metal.
    • View Profile
    • What?
  • Gamertag: God Loves Metal
« Reply #4 on: 10:51 PM - 12/20/10 »
You have certainly found the right website Blucid! Many of us have fell victim to inferior KB/M adapters but the XIM project is truly special. Sorry that you had to go through three terrible products to find this one but you will be pleased :D
Headphones (Full-Sized): Denon AH-D7000, Beyerdynamic Tesla T1, Ultrasone PRO 900, Grado RS1i

IEM's: Sennheiser IE8, Westone UM3, Ultimate Ears UE4 PRO

Amp / DACS: Burson Audio HA-160D, Audio GD-FUN, Matrix M-Stage, NuForce Icon HDP, Tubemagic D1

Offline parker789

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02:10 AM - 12/21/10 »
This is definitely the best of the best.  I was referred here by a friend and was VERY impressed to say the least.  I never even thought about trying to find an adapter to use m/kb with my xbox.  I can tell you this, the XIM360 is spectacular, and obsiv being able to make it that much better, it will kick @#$%.  Set aside money, buy it, own with it :D

Offline kofloz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05:30 AM - 12/21/10 »
This is the real reason I want the xim3.  Xim1 was awesome but had the small 50-100ms delay feel I think, then Xim2 lowered that to 37ms I think? but 12ms, thats pretty much as low as you'll get.  Even the greatest PC will be looking at 6-8 ms total between USB and VGA/DVI delay's.  So in short, Obsiv, you made my day.

Offline SecondSight

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Second Sight 07
« Reply #7 on: 07:39 AM - 12/21/10 »
Yeah I am super excited now, was wondering to buy new monitor then xim 3 but now ill be buying xim 3 at the first chance I can.

Offline Blucid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09:29 AM - 12/21/10 »
Its not your fault that I am skeptical, I am just thinking lets hope so because the device looks promising. If there is a pre-order option or anything like that I will definitely get one.

Offline Threewheels

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10:24 AM - 12/21/10 »
I do have one question though, I read somewhere on the site that you will have to have a wired controller plugged in at all times?  Where or what type of controller should I get if this is the case?  I mean I thought they were all wireless with rechargeable batt's now a days.

You can still buy microsoft wired controllers.  Any officially licensed wired controller will work though (mad catz, etc).

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wired-Controller/dp/B000B6MLTQ

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103205

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874104172
« Last Edit: 11:44 AM - 12/21/10 by Threewheels »

Offline SecondSight

• MVP
    • View Profile
  • Gamertag: Second Sight 07
« Reply #10 on: 11:13 AM - 12/21/10 »
Would you be able to use the xim 2 enabled controller as the wired controller for xim 3?

Offline OBsIV

• Administrator
  • MVP
  • It's obsessive.
    • View Profile
    • OBsIV's Blog
« Reply #11 on: 11:13 AM - 12/21/10 »
Get the most out of your XIM NEXUS, read the XIM NEXUS Support FAQ.

Offline bluemanemt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12:00 PM - 12/21/10 »
If you don't mind spending a tad bit more money to get the awesome black look. I've bought from this guy before and its good stuff.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Wired-Controller-Microsoft-XBox-360-Black-/160502037160?pt=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item255eaabaa8

Offline II steve II

• View Profile
  • Gamertag: li steve li
  • PSN ID: l_steve_l
« Reply #13 on: 12:17 PM - 12/21/10 »
OBsIV, love the controller (coming from playing CS from 5.5b 12-13 years? Bought a XIM2 about a year or two ago, haven't really played much pc shooters since). I was wondering, will the xim 3 support the pc wireless dongle as a "controller"?

Just wondering because I have one of these just laying around the house and thought it would be a great idea. And they are only $20.
XIM 4 | Razer Orbweaver Chroma Stealth | Razer Taipan | Sony Nav Controller | Logitech G700s

Offline MarikCraven

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12:37 PM - 12/21/10 »
I was wondering, will the xim 3 support the pc wireless dongle as a "controller"?

Just wondering because I have one of these just laying around the house and thought it would be a great idea. And they are only $20.

Confused by your question. Please be more specific as to what pc wireless dongle means. Give an example or something.

If it doesn't work without drivers then it won't work on XIM3 right now. Wireless anything will induce lag though. I'd just stay away from wireless if at all possible.