XIM Community

How do you deal with lag comp.  (Read 357 times)

Offline rc68

• View Profile
How do you deal with lag comp.
« on: 12:01 AM - 03/18/19 »
Hello all,

Long time xim user here, been lurking on the forum, never posted :D
So how do you guys dealing with the lag comp. in COD
Are you throttling your bandwith, use a vpn or something else?
Sometimes against an enemy, when we see each other at the same time, i click my left mouse to shoot, before my gun shoots, i'm already dead, how is this fair?
My speeds are 100 download and 30 upload.

Offline rc68

• View Profile
Re: How do you deal with lag comp.
« Reply #1 on: 12:21 AM - 03/18/19 »
Most of the time i'm between 20 and 40.

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #2 on: 03:39 AM - 03/18/19 »
The best way to deal with lag compensation is by increasing your ping, and / or restricting your bandwidth to ADSL levels. You can do this by using router QoS to restrict upload speed and a VPN to increase ping.

A router like Netduma uses geolocation so you can pick the server you want to play on - one further from your location may yield better results, e.g if in England, choose a server in Holland, or if on the west coast go with a central server.

The ideal ping for COD is arguably 50-70ms. Less than 30ms gets smacked for being too good.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04:54 AM - 03/18/19 »
Iím usually on a 59+ then it skips to the 90ís 90% of the time.

Just learned to control my anger lol.

When I do play on low ping though, talking 20 - 9 and lower, I definitely see a difference and it does help.

Could just check if your provider can give you a better package.
| Apex ~ Zowie FK2 ~ Azeron Compact ~ G440 ~ Astro A40 TR ~ PS4 |

Offline rc68

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05:54 AM - 03/18/19 »
The best way to deal with lag compensation is by increasing your ping, and / or restricting your bandwidth to ADSL levels. You can do this by using router QoS to restrict upload speed and a VPN to increase ping.

A router like Netduma uses geolocation so you can pick the server you want to play on - one further from your location may yield better results, e.g if in England, choose a server in Holland, or if on the west coast go with a central server.

The ideal ping for COD is arguably 50-70ms. Less than 30ms gets smacked for being too good.

At what speeds do you cap your bandwith for example?

Offline rc68

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05:55 AM - 03/18/19 »
Iím usually on a 59+ then it skips to the 90ís 90% of the time.

Just learned to control my anger lol.

When I do play on low ping though, talking 20 - 9 and lower, I definitely see a difference and it does help.

Could just check if your provider can give you a better package.

But around 30 is good right?

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06:47 PM - 03/19/19 »
Yeah a consistent 30 I would love tbh

Offline antithesis

• MVP
    • View Profile
    • Mod Squad
« Reply #7 on: 09:30 PM - 03/19/19 »
For most games, you want as low a ping as possible. But for games with lag compensation that reward terrible pings, you want to increase your own ping to reduce the penalty against you.

Most games require very little upload bandwidth. I can't recall the exact numbers but the Netduma forums have recommended settings for CoD lag comp.

Official Australian distributor for XIM APEX, Titan One & Titan Two at Mod Squad
XIM Apex demos on Twitch and YouTube. Follow Twitter for live stream alerts

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01:45 AM - 03/20/19 »
You deal with it by not blaming your loss on lag comp but on your lack of ability. Like a great man once said in another forum post, "Lose with grace rather than blaming the loss on someone else. Be accountable."

Offline rc68

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08:14 AM - 03/20/19 »
You deal with it by not blaming your loss on lag comp but on your lack of ability. Like a great man once said in another forum post, "Lose with grace rather than blaming the loss on someone else. Be accountable."

I'm not blaming, it was a question. Sometimes it's not fair, if you see each other at the same time, and you can't even ADS cos you're already death  :-\

Offline JDM

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09:09 AM - 03/20/19 »

Nahh definitely in Fortnite, when I was able to play on 19-9 ping I never had any issues, now Iím back to playing on 60-90 sometimes 40 against a friend whoís on a 1 ping lol, I definitely notice instances where I will have high ground, shoot him in the head, and 80% of the time his floor or pyramid will place and get in the way.

Itís hard to explain and itís defi not him reacting faster than me because thereíre times in game where Iíll edit, shoot someone in the head get no damage and they shoot slightly after and kill me. I wish I could have a lower ping but I dead with what Iím given lol, definitely holds me back though.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12:58 PM - 03/20/19 »
Yeah, I was just trolling. I was one of the loudest critics of bad lag comp back when Black Ops came out and I think even one of the first to mention that throttling your bandwidth has a positive effect on these forums. However, I'm not so sure anymore. I've found more effective methods to combat lag comp but I don't really want to spread around what is essentially taking advantage of bad engineering. Also, JDM, that sounds more like actual lag than bad lag comp.

Online slickrick

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04:54 PM - 03/20/19 »

yeah,  I would have to disagree, the ping difference in COD between 70 and 40 is daylight and dark. if I connect to the closest COD server for me living in Lexington Kentucky, which is 2 states away , my ping is 40.  always the same.theres a couple different things to consider when it comes to ping,  how close the server is and how your ISP wiring is ran.