XIM Community

Who uses an ethernet switch?  (Read 378 times)

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
Who uses an ethernet switch?
« on: 10:36 AM - 02/21/19 »
I'm looking for recommendations. Reading different things about which to get. Some say more buffer memory is better and some say that buffer memory actually causes problems. Any suggestions?

Offline Thera6179

• View Profile
Re: Who uses an ethernet switch?
« Reply #1 on: 01:36 PM - 02/22/19 »
I'm looking for recommendations. Reading different things about which to get. Some say more buffer memory is better and some say that buffer memory actually causes problems. Any suggestions?

Are you looking for a managed or an unmanaged switch? Yes I have POE+gigabit for the whole house. If you are going for managed switches then yes the things you talked about matter. For a unmanaged switches, pick your choice, the buffer wont matter much at the switch port side as much as the bottleneck where the uplink is.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10:57 AM - 02/23/19 »
I guess I'm looking for unmanaged, just send the signal without setting up IPs or anything as quickly as possible. Basically I just need some more ports in a location away from the router.

Offline Sak

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02:35 PM - 03/01/19 »
I can't say whether it's amazing or not but this one works well for me, and was simply plug-and-play.

I also found it new for $10 at a discount store, so I feel like I'm getting a lot of value for what I paid. I have multiple consoles as well as a gaming PC connected to it and it all of them maintain +50mbps
"I drink and I know things." - a wise man.

Offline Phil Ashio

• MVP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11:22 PM - 03/01/19 »
Yeah, I looked at that one but it's only 10/100 Mbps. It came down to Netgear gs305 or TL-sg105e. Ultimately I chose tl-sg105e because it had better stats on paper and it was an unmanged switch but the option for some tweaking was there. I also replaced all my wires with new Cat 7 cables from a reputable company and the improvement over my previous set up is there. It became much more apparent where there were issues with my setup and where there were issues with the netcode of the game.